“The lobby bar area and terraz seating was great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   David Alfaro Siquerios No. 164 | Col Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles, California
“The lobby bar area and terraz seating was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Driving up to the place from outside does not look like much, but the minute you step out from your car into the great view of the ocean under the sail canopy ,you will forget the rest of the flight and drive. The lobby is greatly decorated with a very comfortable feeling, specially there is a bar right there and a very relaxing open views to the resort grounds and the ocean, with infinity planter/ pools in front of you. Very romantic and sexy ,off course with the right person and drink! The reception desk and staff when you are checking in was a tad harsh, and pushy to upgrade you for more $, so watch out for that, but don't let it bother you. We had an all inclusive stay, and the room was just fine ,with a small balcony and a view with a Jaccuzie tub. The linen in the room and the hanging curtain with the open bath room area and the glass shower,just added a sense of romance and desires to our stay . The restaurants were very nice , specialy the breakfast buffet in the garden section with the greenery and the birds singing around you. The grounds were very well manicure and exotic with path ways between them with great flowering plants, that I enjoyed taking pictures of. Off course we were staying in the adults only section, so it was nice and tranquil , but we did not mind hearing the children laughter from the familys side pool. We had some lovely dinners, the food was above avrage, if not very good. The pool was asume with a wet bar and the beach was mercury brown because of the rainy season, but that did not bother us, as the water in the pool was a great temperature and clean. The rain was very beautiful ,as it gave us great sunsets and we enjoyed getting more wet in the pool , if that is possible! Sometimes , we just will sit in the lobby and drink while it was raining, or go to the the room and be romantic with a glass of champagne . The staff were very pleasant to us all of the time and friendly. We enjoyed the location too, as we could walk into shopping and restaurants in close proximity . The drinks and alcohol were of a premium qualities, which makes a huge difference to me ,even we are not much of drinkers. Over all, its a great place, and we had a great time. The hotel had some beach activities, and we went sailing on their inclusive Catamaran 16 feet boat. We watched the turtles come out at night and dig in the sand and lay their eggs. We also participated with the kids in releasing the new generations of turtles that hatched in the turtle nursery in the resort. Great fun for kids and adults alike!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Barry684,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and our readers. It is very rewarding to know that your stay was thoroughly enjoyed from the time you arrived to your suite on. Our well-appointed suites and surrounding facilities make your special rendezvous with your loved one an unforgettable experience which we hope repeats itself in the near future. We apologize for any inconvenience our front desk staff may have caused and are thrilled to know those who had the pleasure of being a part of your stay served as an example of the high quality of service and attention all of our valued guests can expect in their upcoming visit to Secrets Vallarta Bay.

Cordially.

Mauricio Martinez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Ambler, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My friend and I stayed at Secrets Vallarta Bay from June 30 - July 5. Let me start by saying that the resort is beautiful! No matter which part of the resort you visit…the pools, the restaurants, the lobby, the bars, your room…every space is wonderfully decorated and the quality of architecture, workmanship and amenities is second to none. I’ve stayed at over a dozen all-inclusive resorts and would definitely rank this near the top. As with most of my reviews, I’ll attempt to break it down by category.

Rooms: We did not stay in the preferred section, but I’m not sure if that mattered much to us. Every room has a balcony facing the ocean, flat-screen TV, double sinks, Jacuzzi tub and huge shower. You can control the air conditioning. There’s plenty of closet and dresser space, an in-room safe and ironing board. The fridge was stocked daily with waters, beers, juices and sodas. If you’re traveling with friends and need two beds, I would highly suggest to put forth that request in advance.

Bars/Restaurants: We only ate at one ala-carte restaurant. It was the Mexican restaurant and it was awesome. They don’t serve what we consider traditional Mexican food, but nonetheless, it was great. For men, make sure you bring a pair of long pants and shoes other than flip flops, as most of the ala-carte restaurants have a strict dress-code policy. What’s awesome about this resort (among other things) is that you don’t need a reservation for any of the restaurants. No matter where we ate, the food was either very good or excellent. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from (as you can also eat at the restaurants at the attached sister resort...Now Amber). Room service food was so-so. The lobby bars were always full with friends you met during the day at the pool and served top-shelf liquor (Grey Goose, Don Julio, etc). The view from the lobby bars overlook the ocean and provide the best sunset experience. There’s a disco & bar that we visited almost every night. It’s hit or miss and really depends on the people that show up and those willing to get on the dance floor and have fun. The rest of the bars are located in or around the pool area. What’s nice is that during the day they have ice coolers set up where you can just walk up and help yourself to a variety of beers, waters and other drinks.

Pools: There are about 3-4 pools throughout the resort and each one has its own vibe. The pool closest to the Ocean is an infinity pool. There are also a few hot-tubs throughout. The pool bar is where we spent most of our time. The bartenders there were great. Special shout-out to Javier and Angel. The bar waiters were awesome! No matter where you were sitting, one of them would always be checking up on you to see if you wanted another drink. I can’t say enough how friendly these guys are. Thanks again to ‘Super’ Mario and Luis! You guys rock!

Entertainment: We only went to one show. It was the ‘Fire Show’ and it was really good. The theater is outside and is pretty cool. The talent was above what you’d expect, as I would guess that they contract it out. Since we stayed during the 4th of July, we were super impressed by what was provided. During the day, the pool was decorated with July 4th flags, colors, etc and the staff was dressed in red, white, and blue. It was cool to see that. At night, there was an unbelievable dinner buffet and show that was put on in the conference center. Later that night, there were even fireworks. Kudos to the entertainment staff!!!

Ocean: OK….if there was one downfall for me, it would be the ocean. Don’t expect aqua-blue water like you see in Cancun. The water is definitely darker and the sand is darker as well. Where this resort is located, it doesn't lend well to swimming in the ocean. It’s extremely rocky and the waves were often too rough to swim anyway. Plus, there are always vendors on the beach standing right in front staring back at the resort. I realize they’re there to make a living, but it just doesn't allow for you to walk near the beach without being asked to buy something. Either way, this really didn't ruin any part of our vacation, so take it for what it’s worth.

Staff: There’s no need for me to elaborate here. The bottom line….EVERYONE is AWESOME!!! Seriously! Everyone goes out of their way to help and everyone always has a smile on their face. Kudos to everyone there. They do a fantastic job to make you feel special.

If you book at Secrets Vallarta Bay, you will NOT be disappointed!!! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to take a short vacation. We booked through Cheap Carribean, and originally had gotten our rooms at the Now Amber but were moved to the Secrets part of the resort. I couldnt have been happier with this change. It was, first of all, adults only. As a young couple not wanting to hear about kids for a long time, this was perfect. The room was incredible, we had the garden view but we still had our view to the ocean. We also paid a little extra for the preferred luxury or whatever its called. Did i mention the room? Holy cow. Enormous, the size of his apartment, a gorgeous layout and a comfortable bed. Jacuzzi on our terrace, mini bar with jack daniels, bacardi rum, and finlandia as well as cokes and water and pringles and m&ms. they greeted us with champagne, and some moist towels to freshen up (i really didnt see the point of the towel) they took care of our bags, walked us down to the secrets preferred lobby. While I handled paperwork and logistics, my boyfriend ate and had some drinks. We were introduced to the buttons and gadgets of the room and headed straight to the pool. Drinks were great, food is great, restaurants are fantastic, the resort is so calm and relaxing and beautiful. I will definitely come back to this resort.

Notable staff:
Fermin, at barefoot grill.
Eloy, at barefoot grill.
Leon, preferred club bar.
Yoana (sp?), preferred club lobby.
Everyone that brough us room service at 3am (yes.. we were that couple, I am so sorry)
The tamarindo staff, although carne asada tacos are not on the menu they made it happen for my man, Thank you! (they do have live mariachi music so if you dont like this kind of vibe then you are better off elsewhere)

OH AND THE BREAKFAST my goodness it was fantastic DELICIOUS. PLEASE! If you see american food.. and then mexican food.. try the mexican food! Sopes... mexican beef in juice... chilaquiles.... yum tastes just like mommas.
I cant remember the names of our servers but they did great!

This resort was amazing. I could not have had a better choice of resort.
The hospitality, service, incredible. Everyone really takes the time to take care of you, and if you didnt have a great experience, then you should really reconsider your approach on things.

Room Tip: it probably didnt matter that we were preferred, but i loved it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Caro R,

We are beyond thrilled to know you enjoyed everything about your recent Unlimited-Luxury® experience. When occupancy allows us the opportunity to indulge our guests in complimentary upgrades to Secrets Vallarta Bay we happily do so. It is wonderful to hear that our romantic themed suites were perfect for you and your boyfriend and that you thoroughly enjoyed the individualized attention and upgraded amenities which can only be found in the highly sought after Preferred Club.

We thank you for taking the time of making special mention of those who made your stay particularly special, you can be sure their immediate supervisors will be apprised of their excellent work. Everyone sends their best and looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I do not even know where to begin. The wonderful hotel, my relaxing luxurious room, the breathtaking views and sunsets, the cleanliness of the entire resort, the best resort staff, the enticing delicious food, the wonderful entertainment, The best spa in the world, all the ammenities you will ever need is all right there at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort. This is one trip where you will never want to leave the resort.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mauricio M, Director General at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Greetings Glenda,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your recent Unlimited-Luxury® experience at Secrets Vallarta Bay. Our dedicated staff always strives to make every moment a memorable one and we are glad that we reached our goal during your time with us. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the very near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I can't say enough about this property! The professionalism, the suites, the bars, the spa by Pevonia, the Avis rental car company on premise, access to yacht cruises, complimentary phone calls to USA and Canada with exception to 800 numbers, complimentary in suite mini-bar, swim-out rooms, jacuzzi on balconies and inside suite...I can go on but then you probably won't believe me so just take a peek at the pictures.....all I am saying is I am going to try EVERY AMResort property that is in existence if it is anything like Secrets Vallarta Bay and I suggest you do the same.....quarterly!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
VLCEnterprises,

It was our pleasure serving as your hosts on your recent visit to our beautiful city. We are thrilled to know that you have found our resort and the services/facilities to your liking. We carefully try to anticipate our guests every need and is satisfies us to know our efforts in all areas including our gourmet restaurants, well-appointed suites, world class Spa and beyond made for an unforgettable stay. Thank you for your wonderful review, we look forward to welcoming you back for another heavenly experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is our second visit in 2 years and I think they got better than last summer. Rooms were nice and well designed with plenty of room and a comfy bed in the junior suite with a view to die for. I watched dolphin pods almost every morning I looked for them pass by through the bay. The hotel is beautiful with a lot of detail paid attention to as well as extremely clean. Food is actually better this year (it was good last year) as the chef is incorporating more seasonings now. We didn't have a bad meal at any time. We ate at 6 of the resteraunts (2 of them twice not counting the awesome breakfast buffet on the Market Cafe we frequented daily) with highest marks for Hamitsu and Capers (we heard Capers, the Italian place, was weakest but I disagree and Tepenyaki is great.). The best asset of the resort is the people. Jose and Humberto at Market Cafe for breakfast and lunch are the epitome of professional and most excellent at taking care of the guest. Everyone was kind, pleasant and went the extra mile for all guests ... even the not so pleasant guests. Activities schedule offers much to do if you don't want to relax and enjoy the drinks and view. Seriously, for the value I don't think this place can be beat. I don't think we are done with PV or Secrets yet. Looking forward to next year already.

• Stayed July 2014
WTJaybird,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is great to know that your return visit exceeded your first. Our enviable views can be enjoyed in each one of our ocean facing suites. We always strive to improve the service and quality thereof which we provide to our valued guests. It thrills us to know that improvements at our restaurants and facilities were distinguished this time around. I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share with us who particularly made your stay special. You can be sure this will be shared with their immediate supervisors.

Secrets Vallarta Bay & Puerto Vallarta have so much more to offer. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future for the best Unlimited-Luxury® experience yet.

Olds, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I came to Secrets for 10 days on our honeymoon. Upon arriving, we were impressed by the staff and their willingness to help with whatever we needed. This was our first time at an all inclusive resort and we would highly recommend it to anyone. The rooms were gorgeous and very spacious. The cleaning staff did an excellent job tidying and organizing our room on a daily basis. The poolside area is exceptionally maintained as staff are always working to keep it looking nice. Our favorite part was the dinner service because of the waiters and staff we met. Everyone is so friendly and helpful when we had questions about the Spanish language. Some of the outstanding staff include Juan Jose Ragla Morano (waiter), Humberto Inigues (waiter), Antonio Campos (bellboy), Diego Daualos (waiter), Manuel Bugare (waiter), Heriberto Garcia (waiter), Ricardo (waiter) and Ezequiel Gamez Murrieta (waiter). They are all fantatic people and they have conviced us to definitely visit this resort again!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kaitlyn S,

Greetings from beautiful Puerto Vallarta! We thank you for taking time to share with our audience your recent experience at our beautiful resort. We are honored to have served as your first Unlimited-Luxury® experience. We are thrilled to know our liked our well-appointed suites, gourmet restaurants and surroundings were to your liking and met your every expectation. Above all, we thank you for naming the individuals who made your stay memorable. Our strongest asset is our caring, phenomenal staff which looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Mauricio Martinez

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!