“Fantastic Sunsets” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   David Alfaro Siquerios No. 164 | Col Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Kerrville, Texas
“Fantastic Sunsets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from a week at this resort. It was a great relaxing vacation. Went with husband and my brother and his wife and must say all of us loved it. Our room was on the 5th floor and we were delighted with it. Large room with plenty of space for suitcases and clothes. Nice size shower and jetted tub. Bed was really comfortable and had some great curtains that kept the light out until you wanted to see the sun. Never heard much of the noise people have talked about or at least none that kept me awake or woke me up. Our room was cleaned every a.m. and it was Cleaned! Good job and was always done before noon.
The resort was clean and well manicured. Nice palm trees that were not burned up. Loved the way the pools are set up and the pool bar was great. Never had much of a wait for a drink and could always find a lounger with a suntop. The way the loungers are set up is great, not close together where you have to fight your way in and out of the isle and always had a pretty good view and not just the back of other peoples heads. Plenty of towels. The only thing is that the pool with the swim-up bar had a very rough bottom and steps. After the 3rd day my feet got tougher and I was fine but I ruined my pedicure the first few days because of this....however let me be clear - this did not make me have a bad vacation in anyway.. ha Drinks were great with even the top shelf stuff at the pool bar and they did not hold back on alcohol. Everyday plenty of activities if you wanted to join in or just watch.
The breakfast was terrific, plenty of selection and those omelets were the perfect way to get my day started. We never really did lunch except at the Barefoot Grill. Had pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, sometimes chicken and fish and a few small desserts. We enjoyed the fine dining and always love the fact of not having to make reservations, except at the Japanese which was the best one of them all. Ate there twice and it was just so yummy. Our other favorite was the French. For us, the Mexican was not that good plus it had the slowest service and seemed warm inside. We did go to the little coffee shop at the Now Resort every evening to get our Cappucinos and check our emails on the 2 computers there.
We walked around outside a couple of days. Felt safe. We went to a large grocery store, and to a mall that was about 10 min. away walking. Massages were $25 for an hour at the Massaging Hands right outside the resort but if you kept walking over to the little shops they were $20 for a 75 min. massage. Husband got 4 of these and I had one. Ahhh they were all good.
Nearly everyone at this resort was friendly and helpful. All of the bartenders were great and knew how to make the drinks. Lots of times I cannot get a good Chocolate Martini but I could get them here for sure.
Our favorite person at this resort was Heriberto Garcia in the Market Cafe. He was so friendly and good at his job. Never went without coffee and that is a plus for me. Wish we would have had more time to talk with him, a very nice guy.
Just a wonderful resort and would return here again. I should add that I dont think the property was very full with visitors but I still think even if it was that this place would give its best to make sure you have a great vacation.

Room Tip: We loved our room on the 5th floor but if you go higher you may find it a better view and a bit quie...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Adults Only property with sister family property adjacent. Having stayed at various other 5-star destinations domestically (Four Seasons, Peninsula, St. Regis), my expectations were low, having never stayed at an all-inclusive style resort. The property was immaculate, and the construction, architecture, and materials were top-notch. The service was commendable, and staff was friendly. Considering the all-inclusive aspect, I considered the food to be very good, but not outstanding. There were some standouts, though, but I am a foodie, and quite a cook myself. Considering all that, I enjoyed the food :) Please ignore any comments about surrounding areas being less desirable.... you're in Mexico, it's the reality. I consider it part of the experience and ambiance, and quite enjoy getting out and mingling with the "real people". Some of the best food, people, and experiences were found just outside of the resort.

Although we were there as a couple without our children, we did peruse the adjacent "family" resort ("Now") and found it to be just as enjoyable.... not the expected zoo teeming with out of control children, but lovely and charming families. We would definitely consider returning with our family to the Now resort.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I spent the first two weeks of June relaxing and enjoying this wonderful resort using our UVC membership while quietly celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. We can't say enough about the high quality of service that we received at the resort. We had the pleasure of meeting the resort managers of both the Secrets and Now Resorts. We could tell by our conversation that both of them take great pride in the resorts and want to provide great service to their guests. During our stay we saw them walking through the resorts during the day checking to make sure that everything was running smoothly. Their attitude was reflected in the staff in that they went out of their way to provide great service to you.

Everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves very much. This included singles and couples of all ages including gay couples as mentioned in a previous review. We also noted that there were quite a few expectant moms (some even well advanced in their pregnancy) relaxing and enjoying the pools and resort.

We have to agree with most people's reviews about the high quality of the food at the resort. Our favorite places to eat were the Bordeaux and Oceana resteraunts. The Oceana was great for lunch as it allowed you to get out of the midday sun for a while.while enjoying the ocean view and breeze. The service was not too fast but it didn't matter since we were in no hurry. One restaurant that people haven't mentioned too much is the World Cafe which turns in to an a la carte restuarant (no buffet) in the evenings. They had a Mediterranean Night several times we were there that we enjoyed very much.

If your interested in tours, we went to San Sebastian for the day. It is an old mining town outside of PV in the mountains that is of historical interest. They provide lunch on the tour. The tour guide was top notch and runs every Wednesday and Friday this time of year. We also spent a day at Bucerias (in Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit) with some special Mexican friends. The food there was great, the people are very friendly and had a market that you can investigate. Well worth it if you want a change of pace from PV

If you want transportation outside the resort, the city transit is a worthwhile adventure and only cost 6.50 pesos one way. There are stops in both directions on the main street which is about a block away. If you need a ride to and from the airport in costs $10 US.

We definately will be back to this resort in the future. We still have to explore other Secrets Resorts. We can't wait!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited this resort June 17-24, 2013. We are in our mid 30's. Upon arrival, we had the same experience as many reviewers. We were tired and wanted to get to our room and didn't appreciate the soft sell to do the vacation club sales pitch. I really wish they would stop doing this. It started our vacation off on a funky note.

ROOM- We had a Preferred Club Jr Suite Ocean View room on the 5th floor. Is the PC worth it? It depends. It was really nice to have constant snacks and a personal bartender in the same building. Inaki was the best bartender and we really enjoyed talking with him. It's true that the PC rooms actually have a worse view than the regular rooms which seems sort of odd. But, we still thought the room view was pretty. We kept wanting to use the hot tub on the balcony but never did. The large tub in the room was fabulous and much more private. The rooms are gorgeous and certainly designed with couples in mind.

HOUSEKEEPING- Top notch. The room was always spotless. They even mopped the floor in our room daily. They only missed turn down 2 times and I am pretty sure it's because we were in our room. If you miss a cleaning or turn down, just tell the concierge.

NOISE- I feel like this needs its own category. The hotel does a great job of muffling any sounds from the Now side. You really wouldn't know there was a resort with loud music and families next door. However, the hallways were really loud (you could hear every cart and person). The worst problem for us were the dogs and roosters in the lot behind the hotel. We were woken up each morning (sometimes at 2-3am) and continually throughout the morning. Luckily I had brought ear plugs which saved us. When we asked if we could move rooms, they told us we would have to move to the Now side to avoid the sounds. We really ddin\t want to be on the Now side so we said we would think about it. Two things that annoyed us. 1. When I asked Raul if anyone complained or moved rooms because of it, he acted like we were the only ones. I understand there is only so much they can do because they don't own the property behind them, but I thought it was in bad taste to say no one complained. We spoke to several other guests who had the same problems. 2. He never followed up or checked on us to see if we wanted to move. Bad service we thought.

BOTTOM LINE- If you are sensitive to noise, book an ocean room (higher up) as close to the Now side as possible and not in the PC.

FOOD- this really was hit or miss. I am shocked when people say it's the best food ever. We don't think of ourselves as foodies but we do have access to really top restaurants and chefs. If you compare the food at this resort with 4-5 star restaurants in any major US city, the food falls short. If you compare it to many other all-inclusives, it's decent.

SERVICE- The service was mostly great. Most of the servers and staff were super helpful, friendly and fun to be around. Our favs were Hugo with the entertainment staff, Inaki at the PC bar, Omar at the pool bar and Crisanta at the World Cafe. We did bring about 100 $1's for tipping and wish we had brought more. You certainly do not have to tip but we are pretty sure the staff doesn't make a lot of money and it's always nice to show your appreciation. A little big can go a long way here.

OUTSIDE ATMOSPHERE- The pools were nice. We went during their slow season and I cannot imagine what it would be like if the hotel was fully booked. I have stayed at Secrets Silversands in Cancun and the pool area was much larger and had more pools. The beach really was kinda sad. We never went on it because it didn't look too inviting and as everyone mentioned, there are guys selling stuff all of the time. We knew this going in and didn't really care but if you want a pretty beach, this isn't for you. The grounds were gorgeous and always meticulously clean.

BARS- The bars were low key and chill which is exactly our style. The lobby bar was beautiful and almost every night we had a drink or two looking over the ocean.

NOW - This was a little disappointing. All of the shows they offered were on the Now side. We felt a little jipped because we signed up to be at an adults only resort and every show, 2-3 restaurants and the coffee shop were all on the Now side. I got the impression that the shows would normally be on the Secrets side but due to low season, they combined everything. I am not anti-kids but the magic show and mentalist would have been a much different experience with adults only.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
long beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Vallarta Bay for 3 nights. We enjoyed the food, drinks, great service and a very nice massage in the Spa.
This resort is not too far from downtown Puerto Vallarta, although the resort offers all you need. You can just walk out of the hotel for a few shops if needed.

Room Tip: If you want to splurge and have a lot of room, book the Master Oceanfront Club Suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spent my honeymoon here the past week. If you are between the ages of 21-55, this is the place for you. The property is new, beautiful and they are very customer-oriented here. I experienced first rate service the whole time. The property is only about a year and a half old, so everything is new and fresh. I love Secrets property because the atmosphere is very social. We easily met a lot of other couples and hung out together for the week. The food was above average for an all inclusive. The entertainment was slightly lacking, but it is connected to Now Amber. Now is also in the Secrets chain, but it isn't adults only. Anyone from the Secrets facility can use any of the facilities such as dining and entertainment over on the Now side. Since Now is a family resort, the people without children can use the pool but nothing else. A couple of things to note about the property: They will ask you when you check in to go to a time share presentation the following morning and give a $100 credit to use towards booking tours. If you decide to go, set your watch. They will go over the hour and a half. To give you a rough idea, their initial offer of the cost is $23,000! Once you decline at this meeting, they won't ask you again at all. No one will hound you at all! The tour I recommend is Rhythm of the Nights show. You would think it is corny, but it's sort of like Lion King meets Circus de Soleil. It was much better than I expected! I also did the Outdoor Adventure and that was an awesome activity. A tour that I found through trip advisor (and not offered through the hotel is Puerto Vallarta Food Tour). The only thing I have to say is "do it". I would have that be your first tour. You go through Old Downtown Puerto Vallarta. It's an amazing town and you will see how comfortable you feel. Massages are way cheaper outside of the resort. We did a couples massage downtown for 1 hour. It was $70 total. I heard Healing Hands (located right outside of Secrets outside the gate) will do it for $50 total! Anyway, if you are on the fence, no need to be. One more thing, if you are looking to stay on the resort at night, go to Desires on the Now side of the resort. For reference my husband and I are in our early 30's.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay here it is ! Anybody who complains about this place is crazy. We had the best week of our lives here. Hugo and the whole entertainment team were awesome. From check in to check out all of the staff were amazing. All of the bartenders were great and so were the drinks. Get a michelada cubana ! Breakfast of champions. Look for Omar and Alex at the pools. We never waited for a refreshment. Skip the Malecon, not worth the time as they do hound you. Instead go an excursion, Jet Ski adventure was a blast as were the ATV's. Lori at the pool will hook you up. Learn how to use the light switches for maid service and you will never be forgotten. Room cleaned everyday and turn down service every night. Antonia our turn down girl was awesome, ask for it and they will bring it. Bordeaux was the best of the restaurants but all were good. Meet some new friends while you are there and do Tepanaki with them. We met so many nice people while we were there, shout out to all of them !!! It is all about your attitude, go in with a good one and you will have a fantastic time. How can you complain in paradise. We would go back in a heart beat. We miss you Secrets !! Love you all, David and Leslie Borrego, Santa Fe, NM, USA.

Room Tip: Room 1705 was perfect, right in the middle, view of everything. I think preferred is overrated.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!