“Perfect relaxing honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Vallarta Bay

Save Saved
You added Secrets Vallarta Bay to your Saves list
Secrets Vallarta Bay
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   David Alfaro Siquerios No. 164, Col Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #6 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Perfect relaxing honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Secrets we were in awe... this place was absolutley breathtaking! We were greeted by friendly staff with champaign and cool cloths and then escorted to the open air lobby. Check in was pleasant however they do ask you to sit through their vacation club presentation... I was not happy about this but we agreed to do it and I'm glad we did because they gave us $300 to use towards our excursions. We had paid for a garden view room with partial ocean view and were pleasantly suprised when they "upgraded" us to the 8th floor and full ocean view.
The room: WAS AMAZING! I honestly don't think there is a room with a bad view here... not even the side towers. Loved the huge king sized bed and garden tub in the room. Fully stocked mini fridge, huge 2 head walk in shower and large armoire for hanging all your clothes (plus huge dresser). We had the balcony doors open 24/7 and enjoyed the warm ocean breeze as much as we could. We never had a problem with bugs either.
The pools: so many to choose from! When you pay for the Secrets side, you can use any of the facilites in the resort, including on the Now Amber (family) side. We really only swam in the heated pool that has the swim up bar in it. It was the perfect temp and the swim up bar was awesome. The bartenders can make you anything, but you better know what you want or they'll just start giving you random stuff - which is fun too! The waitstaff on the beach and around the pool are great too. Omar took very good care of us and was always happy to get us whatever we needed. The phrase that pays here is always "it's my pleasure"
The beach: Not the softest sand ever, but very clean and lot's of it! Right in the middle of the beach there was a cool area that a ton of rocks had washed up over time. Everyday you'd see people down there picking out rocks to take home.
Entertainment: They have a whole team of people to entertain you. They were really good at going around and asking everyone to participate. Everyday there are tons of things going on from yoga in the morning, to beach volleyball, shooting range, tennis, guacamole making lessons etc. Then at night they play outdoor movies or have huge dinners on the beach with entertainment. They also have a club in the resort. We went to it one night and it was ok... music wasn't the best. They advertised a "rock night" that might have been good but we didn't make it.
The restaurants: SO good! We almost didn't make it to all of them! Every morning we went to the Now side and had their breakfast buffet. It was much bigger then the one on the Secrets side and had much more to choose from. I highly recommend the fried banannas, french toast and scrambled eggs. You can make bloody mary's and mimosa's till your hearts content too!
Our favorite restaurant was the Mexican place - Tamarindo. We both had skirt steak that was absolutley perfect! Service was excellant and the decor was fun and festive.
Himitsu - the pan asian place was great too. We ate here on our first night. We weren't sure what to expect, but it was awesome inside. Sunken tables and great service just added to the already great food. You could also reserve a hibachi table here. We weren't fans of the the rolls that had cream cheese though, they were just too much. the spicy tuna roll was yummy!
The french place, Bordeaux was ok... not the best service that night. The food was just ok and the decor was blahhh.
Italian night (last supper) at Capri was so very good! Our server was fantastic and so was the food. We splurged and got 2 appitizers, 3 entree's and 3 deserts. Ha! Our server even brought our deserts on a platter that said "Happy Honeymoon".
Oceana - basically on the beach, gorgeous views. Loved the shrimp taco's and the lemon pie! Service was just ok both times we ate here.
Barefoot Grill (pool buffet) - great BBQ ribs and make your own burgers (didn't like the pizza at all) Awesome guacamole too!
Room service we used probably 5 times - it was fast and really good - and they'll totally bring you a six pack of beer with your food too!
Over all the food was fantastic and you can order as much or as little as you want. We had a blast eating different things than normal and we never once got sick from the water! They filter their water but they have bottles everywhere too.
Housekeeping was great! Tomasa kept our room as tidy as she could. We got a little lazy after the first 3 days or so. She did a great job!

Some small complaints... Obviously it was our choice to sleep with the balcony doors open every night, but everyday around 4:00 am and 5:30 am we'd get woken up by either cleaning crews pressure washing something outside or silverware being rolled 8 floors down at the breakfast place. whatever, we went right back to sleep but still kind of annoying.
Entertainment: the first 4 days we were there (including a weekend) there was NO music at the pool?! A few guests had brought down their own ipods and speakers and played music for everyone. lame... then, when they did have music, around 3:00 in the afternoon, he played the same 3 songs over and over (2 of which included J-LO songs???) The music was horrible - and I love all kinds of music so I'm not picky. At one point, some guy tipped the DJ $20 to play all 80's and 90's and then we at least got away from j-lo!
The pool: it closes at 8 but the bar closes at 5... everyday, it was just when people started letting loose and having fun that the bar would close and the music would stop - Then there really wasn't a place for people to move too... it was like there was a 2 hour or so span between the pool bar closing and places opening for dinner that there was no place to go - except the lobby bar; which wasn't a fun hangout for people in their bikinis and trunks... wish there was another bar outside for those people.

Some tips: the resort has taxis (white cars sitting at entrance) that you can use, you just have to ask a bell hop. It saves you from walking down to the main street, and they're generally nicer cars and not as crazy as drivers - costs the same too.
-the bus is safe, cheap and easy
-Vallarta adventures was a really good tour company, We did the snorkeling at Marietta Islands, Outdoor tour, and Rhythms of the night. Felt very safe on all.
If you don't mind sleeping on the family side (the rooms are the same) you can still use the secrets side as long as you don't have kids and you'll save at least a couple hundred dollars. Wish we would have know that before we booked!
Overall, we absolutely LOVED this place and would recommend it to anyone looking for a luxurious all-inclusive resort in PV!

Room Tip: I feel like all the rooms have a great ocean view. If you like to swim in the dark and keep the part...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived at Secrets Puerto Vallarta from Grande Prairie, Alberta on March 2/13. We were greeted immediately by friendly bellman & escorted to the preferred suites. We travelled with another couple & there was never a shortage of things to do or see! The property is incredibly beautiful, the landscaping is fantastic & the rooms are nicely decorated with great beds & huge bathroom area with shower area, whirlpool soaking tub & separate toilet area. The balcony holds a jacuzzi tub so seating area is small. Excellent housekeeping by Paty & we loved the turndown service & room service was fast & food actually hot! Food was wonderful at all the a la cartes & buffet was always fresh with many dishes to choose from plus cook to order stations. The guys sometimes wanted more to eat at the a la cartes but they just ordered an extra entree which was never a problem! We especially liked the preferred lounge area which was stocked all day & night with snacks & desserts! Bartender remembered what we drank & was very eager to please! The concierge was great & very helpful about shopping, markets, exchanging money & anything else we asked about! The pool area was great, lots of chairs, tables & towels! Beach area also wonderful with lots of palapas to sit under & lots of chairs Vendors are on the other side of a rope so its up to you to dedide if you want to interact with them. Without a doubt, the one thing about this resort that sets it apart from the five other all inclusives I have stayed at was the service. Each person employed by the hotel was very polite & really eager to please & everyone had a smile for us! We really enjoyed services provided by Caesar Rivera who met us shortly after we arrived & made us laugh & feel so welcome, the lovely seniorita(sorry forgot your name cuz its quite long!) at the preferred concierge desk & particulary Luis Rivera Romero who looked after us around the pool area & on the beach! Luis went above & beyond to make sure we never went without drinks, food & snacks, umbrellas & anything else we needed! He also listened patiently to our spouses silly 'red-neck' stories after they'd over-indulged in drinks! It's people like Luis who stand out in our memories of a vacation we will remember fondly! Hopefully we can come back to Secrets to see Luis & everyone else who made iur vacation truly wonderful! Thank-you!

• Stayed March 2013
Spearfish, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 6 days with a few couples, my husband and I are in the 29-34 age range. Wide variety of ages, I would say we were the minority as there was only a small group of people within our age range at the resort.
Check-in went very smoothly and very little confusion, which is always greatly appreciated after a long day of traveling.
Rooms were clean, we couldn't really figure out the controls to keep the room cooler but overall the room are very nice! The mini fridge is great and stocked daily. The beds were ok to sleep on, depends on what your preference is but they do have a variety of different types of pillows you can request.
We stayed in the Junior Suite Ocean view (6th floor) we liked the location of our room, close to the elevator but also had a great view of the sunset!
Fitness Center has your basics, what they do have is very nice equipment. But if you are a regular gym go-er or a bodybuilder you may find it beneficial to walk down the street to the Gold's Gym.
Restaurants
It was nice to be able to go to the Now Amber (family resort which is just 10 steps from the Secrets) to enjoy their restaurants as the Secrets has limited restaurants. We liked not having to make reservations and various dress codes. Also there were not a ton of kiddos running around the restaurants, so if you go to the Now to eat, you will rarely see very many kids, especially if you eat later on.
Food overall is ok, I have been at resorts that have been better and have been at resorts that have worse food.
Hands down Oceana gets the award for the best all around food. Their steak and seafood night is fabulous, I tried multiple different items on the menu and all of them were good. Himitsu which is located in the Now resort was also very good, we made reservations for the hibachi table one night which was great and we also ate from the regular menu another night which was very good as well, I really liked the Pad Thai.
Bordeux was very good as well.
Barefoot bar and grill has food at the pool for you all day. It is convenient the pizza is good, but I wish we could have had just a nacho bar versus having burgers or some sort of chicken sitting in warmers all day. My husband and I usually went to Oceana to eat during the day, I really liked their chicken nachos and the fish/shrimp tacos. Marco was our favorite waiter.
The Market Cafe was great for breakfast, especially if you are a healthy eater, they have all your fruits of course, but I was able to order my regular egg whites, oatmeal, or sweet potatoes that are on my diet plan. Heirberto was our favorite waiter in the morning.
I would recommend trying their quesadillas when they have them, they are delicious with the fresh made corn tortillas.
What's great about this resort is every restaurant has small portions so you never feel overly full, which is great! I loved it because you could have a salad or appetizer, main dish and still enjoy one of their desserts.
The Coco cafe is where you can get light sandwiches or desserts and specialty coffees all day, we found ourselves there a lot as the specialty coffees were very good. The only recommendation I would make is to have the hotel get a little bigger cups, or bring your own mug as the little 8 oz cups do not take long to consume.
Room service was good, can take a little while, but the food and the service was always good.
Entertainment that is provided during the day and at night was good. We loved the pool entertainment staff, also the same people that will take you out at night to the clubs if you wish. Hugo and Ceasar were our favorite entertainers! - they will have you laughing for hours
Pool was great, never had to fight for chairs at any point of time during the day! We wished they had played music by the pool all day, but I suppose to please all crowds that may be frowned upon. They do however start playing an array of music at around 3:00 pm until 5 or 6 pm.
We did not use our resort credit, as with everything there was limitations and for us it wasn't worth using the coupons.
Service - the overall service in every department was fantastic from pool side to the front desk, they have their service figured out!
Location - close to downtown, walking distance to shopping villas, easy to get a cab to and from anywhere.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and if we were to return to this area for vacation again we would definitely consider staying at the Secrets!

Room Tip: I recommend the Junior Suite - Ocean View, it has everything you need. Swim-up suites looked nice bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend Secrets enough. From the glass of prosecco on arrival, to the sound of waves travelling to my room everyday when I woke up, to the 9am yoga on the beach to sushi served in the pool by a swimming chef, and not least the incredible friendly service. I stayed 5 days and didn't have enough time to take part in the myriad of activities on offer. The room was also gorgeous (junior suite). It had a wet room with double shower, a whirlpool tub, a balcony looking out onto the ocean and a constantly replenished minibar full of Corona (what else?) The only negative was that being an all inclusive resort, the food was slightly sporadic. I highly recommend the fresh Mexican (and global) food on offer every morning at the Market Cafe and the French Restaurant Bordeux. If you have any doubt in your mind, book this immeadiately. You won't regret your choice.

• Stayed March 2013
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived until we were dropped of at the airport, our vacation couldn't have been much better. Cool, refreshing facecloths to wipe our faces and glasses of wine as soon as we exited the taxi were a pleasant surprise. Almost immediately we were escorted to the preferred tower concierge for check-in (and another glass of wine). Check-in was a breeze. We were escorted to our room (1724) which is on the 7th floor. A beautiful view from the balcony of the pool areas and the bay. The room was immaculate, comfortable and bright.

We arrived on "Oscar" night and they had the ballroom set up just like Hollywood at the "Oscars". Red carpet, royal treatment, great food & drink and the Oscars show live on two huge tv screens. I've been to Hollywood events and this was as good or better than that. Here I was treated like a star, in Hollywood, I was simply a guest.

We had dinner at Oceana twice, Bordeaux once, Market Cafe once and room service once. Oceana was my favorite, perhaps because it is open air overlooking the bay or perhaps because of the menu and the food, I wasn't just because of the service since the service was excellent in all of the restaurants. The only night we had to wait to be seated was when we went to Bordeaux. It was about a 20 minute wait which gave us enough time to walk by the pool, and watch a few minutes of the outdoor movie. The food was on par with good cruise food. (We've never been on Carnival, so I do mean "good" cruise food. The service was much better than on a cruise since the restaurants are much smaller and I believe the food is cooked to order. The one night we had room service I didn't realize that some of the items I ordered were meals (not appetizers), and I had about enough for a small army. But it was really good, not typical hotel room service food. It was hot, fresh and only took 20 or 25 minutes to arrive.

For breakfast each day we went to the Market Cafe. There is an omelette or eggs to order station, another station that prepared something on a folded tortilla, the name of which I don't remember but it had a choice of various ingredients and was very good. There was something else that they were making to order, but since I didn't have it I don't remember what it was. Everything else is buffet style and you can choose from a vast assortment of juices, fruits, breads, meats, cheeses, fish, and many other offerings. I started with mimosas a couple morning which was a treat I rarely get at home.

Lunches were mostly at the Barefoot grill which is at the pool. I won't rave about it because it was nothing out of the ordinary. When I wasn't too lazy to put on a t-shirt and sandals I had lunch at Oceana which was excellent.

There are several restaurants that we didn't get to, but I didn't hear an complaints from the folks we talked with that had dined at some of them.

The pool area is beautiful with plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The beach was cleaner than many, although smaller than other places we've visited. We had plenty of room to ourselves under a palapa. There were an adequate number of palapas which has often not been the case at other resorts when we've wanted to relax out of the sun, but still on the beach.

The waiters are never far away and ordering drinks without getting out of the chair is a pleasure. Especially when the drinks were paid for up front. Checking out and being told "Your balance is zero" was a first for me. Tipping isn't necessary, but a buck or a 20 peso bill handed to the server every once in a while certainly didn't hurt the service I received.

We only had one complaint during the entire week aside from having to leave and return to winter in Ohio. The free, wireless Internet is occasionally spotty and very slow. It was cool being able to call home with Secrets smartphone app and to Skype video calls to friends back home. They know the wifi is substandard and I believe they are looking into improving it. However, it is free and did work most of the time I needed it.

If you're looking for an enjoyable vacation where you don't have to think about what you're going to do or where you're going to eat, Secrets will fill the bill. We couldn't be happier about the choice we made for our first "all inclusive" vacation.

Room Tip: The swim-out rooms lack privacy if you're curtains are open. I didn't see anyone using the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Being from Canada I wanted to get away from the snow in mid February 2013 and enjoy the sunshine in some tropical country. I thought it would be a great idea to travel alone to Mexico. After a day staying in Secrets I realized that this beautiful resort was primarily for couples and felt somewhat out of place. Fearless as I felt, I went on a CitIy Tour of Puerto Vallarta. When I boarded the Suburban at the entrance of the resort I was greeted by Andre, a very pleasant gentleman who was our chauffeur to the tour bus, and a beautiful lady from Wisconsin. She was staying on the Amber Now side and I the Secrets side. We were the only two from either resort.
Miss Wisconsin and I had lunch together, chatting about how wonderful the resort and staff were and what an incredible city Puerto Vallarta was. Later that night we went for a walk on the moon lit beach sharing stories about each others life in "the real world".
As for the remainder of the vacation, Miss Wisconsin and I spent every waking minute together enjoy all that Mexico has to offer and more importantly each others company.
We have planned our next vacation together and are both looking forward to reconnecting in another location.
For those of you who believe that fairy tales are not possible, our experience shows that they are alive and well in Puerto Vallarta!!!.

Thanks to Secrets/Amber Now Resorts for bringing us together.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Came here on a special vacation for a 30th and 50th birthday celebration with 15 people. This is the second review I've ever written, only because I feel compelled to warn others. Also feel the need to note, we are fun-loving, relaxed, happy people who are pretty easy going in our expectations.

We stayed in Premium Swim up Suites.

The Good- Gorgeous rooms, decent food, nice view from the lobby. Swim up suites were nice but don't have a bar. The coffee bar is pretty cool. The little food room and bar in the premium suites was really nice.

The Bad- Room have a delivery box which essentially allows access to your room without a key- !? Rooms face a weird dirty abandoned construction site full of chickens and dogs. Staff seem unhappy, we were straight up told we wouldn't get good service unless we tipped (which I'm happy to do, but resent the threat) service was in general not that great, no smiles, very few greetings. Made the vacation tense compared to our usual Mexico experiences (we've come to Mexico 15+ times) The food was not that great. Weak selection, most of the the Al a Cartes weren't open... we tried to make a reservation which they said they don't do... we told them we'd arrive at 8 which our concierge confirmed. When we showed up they said they didn't have room for us.... (the restaurant was empty, as the resort was slow) when we called our concierge, of course we were let right in, and then our server rudely confronted one of our guests that had nothing to do with it and a heated argument- instigated by a staff member- ensued. Not the way you want to spend a special supper. This is one example of the general feel we had the whole time we were there. Also notable, we all had 'loose stools' the entire time we were there. I have never experienced this in Mexico before.... water filtration not quite up to par? The buffet was small and had bad service. Room service would be ok except it always took up to an hour and on two occasions, never came at all. Pools are small and not a lot to do. Even the beach vendors are rude and appear to be employed by one person (the hotel?) are all in uniforms and were complaining about their commission (!?). In general feels like a tight, boring resort with unhappy staff and bad service.

Room Tip: Go to the Iberostar instead.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Sarah,

It is truly regretful to read your review of your recent vacation with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for all the inconveniences that you encountered and the feeling you have gotten from our Staff in general. Our Staff has the policy and guideline to smile and greet our guests every time we serve them.

It is important to mention that our Preferred Club Tower as well as all our suites are facing the ocean and some have a view to our garden floors. We are next to a parking lot and the undergoing construction building is further south from us but our guests have an ocean view from their suites.

We are sorry to hear about the misunderstanding of your dinner reservation, be sure that this does not occur since our guests are more than welcome to make their reservations in advanced with our Concierge Desk. Guests see the no reservation policy as an asset of our Resort. The opening daily of our a la carte restaurants depends on our occupation. However, every night our guests have a variety of our restaurants to choose from.

Our Entertainment Staff works hardly with our guests during all day with different kinds of activities such as water aerobics, Spanish classes, snorkeling lessons, yoga lessons, beach volleyball and our Night Show themes every evening.

The beach vendors are not employed by us, in fact we have a concession of part of the beach where vendors stay behind this and do not disturb our clients.

Once again, please accept our apologies for not fulfilling your expectations and we hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to see our improvements and host you once more.

Kindly,

Mauricio Martinez

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay? Share your experiences!