“Fantastic Stay/Location with Sub-par Service” 4 of 5 stars

Vallarta Shores International Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Malecon 400, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Francisco, California, United States
“Fantastic Stay/Location with Sub-par Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have been to PV 5 times and have stayed at a different place every time - from the All-inclusive resort hotels to the $25 a night hotel located in the "village". The group of friends I traveled with visited PV the previous Nov. and we had stayed at an all-inclusive resort just north of the Malecon. We wanted to try the "VIP experience" of a Penthouse and a private chef, PLUS the price was right at Vallarta Shores!

Vallarta Shores is a charming multiple unit villa/condo styled building in an excellent location. It's located at the very end of the beach (Los Muertos Beach, near the pier) which provides for NO vehicle traffic as the road is a dead end, fewer people fighting for lounge chairs (there are 3 private umbrellas for the hotel and chairs that the staff will bring to the beach for you), the beach is less rocky than the beach closer to Los Muertos Pier and there are very few vendors!

You can walk EVERYWHERE. It’s a 5 minute walk on either the beach or the backroads into “town” where all the happenings are (bars, nightclubs, markets, restaurants, etc.)

For the first 4 nights of our 7 day stay we rented Penthouse A which included 3 bedroom suites each with a private bathroom and AC that works wonders, a private pool, outdoor BBQ grill, a relaxing living situation, million $$ views and the BEST PART of our trip, a private chef (we were lucky to score Rodrigo).

Upon arrival, the welcome was a chilling experience to the 90 degree weather (which serves to the "Sub-par service" title of this post). The less than welcoming greeting (and lack of service throughout the trip) from Daniel at the front desk was QUICKLY trumped by the smile and welcoming attitude of Rodrigo our chef. Rodrigo helped us with our bags to our Penthouse where he had fresh guacamole & salsa waiting along with the fully stocked bar. We quickly settled in and no sooner than we had our bags put away we had a fresh made tangerine tequila cocktail in hand! AMAZING!!!! Rodrigo’s food was fresh and absolutely delicious. We had fresh carne asada BBQ’d on our outdoor patio, chicken mole, chilliquilles, camarones al ajillo (garlic), fresh breakfast, etc. etc. etc. 8 meals for 5 people worked out to be about $60 a person (including alcohol) of $7.50 US per meal. No other way to go!

Rodrigo was the saving grace of this trip, as the hospitality and welcoming feeling was no where to be found! (Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t no diva, nor are my friends and we were NOT looking for butler styled service) but the lack of a simple “hello, good morning, whatever from the front desk staff was nowhere to be seen. Stop sitting on your butt at the front desk with your eyes glued to your computer and acknowledge your guests one and a while…just ONCE!? Warning: When you DO ask the front desk for something (ie. In our case to open the access gate to the pool, where there’s a shower head where we could wash the sand off our feet before trekking through the halls, be prepared to feel as though you are a burden!)

Housekeeping lacked: typically a good housekeeper with notice “oh they have used all of their bar soap” and replenish as necessary – NOPE! “oh they need extra of the larger towels as I see they are all dirty on the floor, I’ll replenish those” – NOPE! The place was well kept, but definitely is in need of a deep cleaning. The living room furniture was dirty, chandeliers filled with cob webs, the coffee table needed a good wipe down with windex (a buildup of weeks, maybe months of dust).

So over-all it was a FANTASTIC stay and IF we decide to stay here again, it will be Penthouse A for the entire stay and a guaranteed request to have Rodrigo as our chef!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sechelt, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband & I have stayed at this charming hotel more than once and we can highly recommend it for many reasons - the rooms are charming, they have a small library, they are easy walking distance to el centro, and in their tucked away location, the only sound you hear at night is the ocean.

Walk out onto a clean, uncrowded beach, where there are palappas and beach towels and chairs on request, right in front. They also have a pool - attractive but a bit chilly.

Kitchens are well equipped & whatever you may need is only a phone call away. Laundry is reasonably priced and easy way to continue having clean clothes.

My favourite memory of staying here was coming home from dinners out by walking in the surf right to our front door.

The management is friendly & helpful, which was yet another attraction to this "GEM"!!! We were told about it by a friend and now I am sharing with you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I will definitely return to this Hotel! The location is great-right on the beach just past all the "Vendors and the chaos" The view was a Million $ one but the price was not. Not a 5 star resort and I didn't want that-we went to Puerto Vallarta for the "Old Mexico Charm and stayed in this part of the City for this reason. This Hotel was perfect! Walking distance to everything, yet quiet. The kitchen was useful to keep our beer and fruit cold and to make coffee in the morning, we didn't cook but it was fully stocked even with a blender(I used daily) All the rooms are Ocean Front. There were some maintenance issues-many of the electrical outlets didn't work, but I never blow dried my hair after day 1 anyway, and there was some leaking water but the staff looked into our concerns right away. I felt at home here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have been to Puerto Vallarta several years in a row and have stayed in a different place each time. Vallarta Shores is our favorite. If you love Old Mexico charm, spectacular views and being right on the beach, as we do, you will love it, too.
We had major hassles with our reservations because we went through an agent at Vallarta Escapes. Big mistake! Just go directly through the hotel.
This is at the quiet end of the beach and past the end of the malecon. In other words, there are not rows and rows of palapas with rows and rows of chairs with a steady stream of vendors trying to sell you something. It is busier (and louder) on the weekend with families coming in, but we didn't mind that. We nearly always walked to and from town. If we decided to take a cab, it was about $5 for 3 of us from almost anywhere.
We loved the sound of crashing waves morning and night. It's a stunning beach. Some of the rooms could use some upgrading, others not so much. But we would rather have character than everything spiffy and new. The pool is small and does not get sun in the spring so the water is quite cold. We never wanted the pool because we spent every day on the beach.
Daniel and the entire staff could not be more welcoming. It is quiet laid back service, and always available. I'm glad our hunt for the perfect place to stay in PV is over!

Room Tip: Check out the photos and descriptions on their website. They are accurate and informative.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

My trip began with losing my cell phone and Rueben, the front office manager was on the phone to the taxi company and to the airline minutes after my arrival. I was amazed at their service and comforted by their perseverance in finding my phone!!
This hotel is the only authentic "spanish style" hotel on Los Muertos. It is the exact opposite of the 70' monolithic, sterile condos that face the beach. Additionally, it is the only hotel that opens directly onto the beach.
Our two bedroom suite was HUGE. It included an open air living room, spacious foyer, closets galore, two beautiful bathrooms and a sizable dressing room. The space is GREAT for entertaining - good lighting and expansive views of the beach and ocean. We stayed for six days and made all sorts of "vacation" friends at the Green Chairs and the Blue Chairs on the beach (both a one minute walk down the beach). At the end of our trip we invited twelve guys back to our place for cocktails and enjoyed the sunset. It was great to share such a beautiful place that night. We easily could have had forty people!!
One day I mentioned to Rueben at the front desk that I would like a massage and he had a guy at the hotel in minutes. Great massage too!!
If you're the kind of person that likes a laid back place that keeps you right on the beach, away from cars, noise (and shoes!) then this is the place for you. The pricing is a bargain, the service is attentive and appropriate and the setting is amazing. I wouldn't stay at any other property on the beach - ever.

Room Tip: I've toured through the two penthouses and two, two bedrooms, and one, one bedroom and all were...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Been to this property several times and enjoyed location, which at the end of a long street. Close to old part of town but far away from the congested beach seen this near this property. The layout is a single floor with 2 bedroom, small kitchen, and living room, and two bath rooms. Fits easily 3 people and there is a small kitchen, stove, and coffee machine. We recommend that you make sure stove & coffee machine is functional. The property needs updating but most of Mexico does, and this is not the Hilton, Ritz, Four Season or new resort/spa that can be found at other property. She get a classic Mexican style property that is safe, and has friendly staff. You have free wifi, TV, and maid service. The hot water was out for several days, but the owner did call me at my office after I returned to the US and was very sorry for this. A water line issue. At night you can hear the ocean and we left our balcony doors open.
I recommend you rent above the ground floor, and also note no elevators, therefore, the second floor is the best. Beds are firm but comfortable. Recommend going to the local stores in new part of town to pick of groceries (like water), and avoid the grocery store located in the old town. Many great places to eat in walking range.
Overall, I have a good experience, like before, and would return to this property.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor. Stay on second, the best. Make sure you have ocean view with balcony. Also, ma...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Sherman Oaks, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Well, I just stayed at the Vallarta Shores again from 2/25 - 2/29/12 w a different group of friends. I had tried to get my friend to change the reservation to a newer/more modern/better maintained condo or hotel, but to no avail. Well, after this experience, he realized that he should have listened to me! The Vallarta Shores is still has some good qualities, including a great beach front location & charming country Mexican decor. We really liked the small private beach area (w palapas & chairs) right in front of the bldg, which was quiet, pretty, & serene. The staff are nice, but not always very effective. We stayed in unit #2 this time, & I MUCH preferred this unit to #5. The main difficulty we had was that we had NO hot water for the last 1 1/2 days! This was very annoying & inconvenient. My friend, who speaks fluent Spanish, asked the staff multiple times to resolve this problem, but we still had no hot water the day we checked out. This bldg could be very very nice if they could only invest the $ to upgrade & repair it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
vsmanager, Manager at Vallarta Shores International Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
We are truly sorry and apologize to our guests for any inconvienience the water outage has caused. A busted intake valve caused main cisterne to run dry. Fixed within 30 hrs.

Been to Vallarta Shores International Hotel? Share your experiences!