“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
CA, USA
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Check in experience was terrible. We had to wait 30+ minutes, and the staff wouldn't bring us drinks. We asked for food next and they took us to a tiny gross depressing cafe with a really limited menu. They brought us a tiny bowl of guac for 4 people and then said they were out when we asked for more. They served us beer in tiny plastic cafeteria glasses. Most of the staff wasn't friendly, and no one went out of their way to give us service. Opposite of a resort experience.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Positives;
This hotel is super well manicured and maintained.
The menu for table a la cart changes every few days. You can even order food with your specification.
The butler Hazael was awesome.
The waiters at restaurant were all good especially Enzo, Eduardo, at the top following Jose and cesar and the rest.
You could ask for rooms to be serviced even twice a day.
The rooms are fantastic, clean and modern.
The Cabernet wine was exquisite!

Negatives;
All was good with one exception about whirlpool which we caught Folliculitis from not enough chlorine in the water.concierge
Another deal breaker was the concierge who would not take NO for an answer and kept trying time & time to convince us to attend a presentation to get sucked in to timeshare! ....Hey man the days of time shares are long gone and everyone knows it is just a scam!

This is the place in the center of everything one can ask.
If you want to get relax by the beach and enjoy the good food and sun and swimming pool this is the place!
Given the chance we will be back.

Room Tip: Just tell the concierge NO NO NO and tell him: Read my lips and not to ruin my vacation!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Guest,
Sunset Plaza highly appreciates the time you have taken to write such a great review. It truly was a pleasure to host you. We are so thrilled to know you enjoyed the service, rooms, atmosphere and the exquisite dishes in our restaurants.
We appreciate your insight about the lobby sales staff and appropriate action will be taken to correct our current customer service approached practices.
We are very glad to know that you had a good experience with us. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on a near future.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

It was the first time my husband and I took an all inclusive vacation because of our cute new baby-girl addition (1 year old) and we didn't know what to expect. We certainly did not expect a luxurious suite, modern, spotless and very spacious with two bathrooms, a walk in closet and a nice kitchen, livingroom and dining area. We certainly did not expect being pampered by each and every employee. We did not expect to have fine cuisine in a la cart restaurants, whereas each sophisticated course was served tastefully and made out of the freshest and finest ingredients. We did not expect to enjoy it as much as we did - but we did. It was heaven upon earth.

Dear Mr. Mike,
We hope you and your beautiful family are well. First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor. We love the title of you comment “A little taste of heaven” thank you.
For us it is really motivating to know that our service makes the difference in our guests’ visit. We are very proud we were able to surprise you with our a la carte service. We strongly believe in the personalized service and the benefits of having menu choices with tasty dishes. Thank you for your appreciation.
Each of the Sunset Plaza’s spacious guest rooms and suites features a private terrace with a breathtaking 180° view of the ocean and the spectacular Puerto Vallarta´s sunset. The rooms are warmly decorated in hues of orange, gold and sparkle, equipped with fine granite countertops, marble bathroom surfaces, and elegant contemporary wood furniture.
Amenities at Sunset Plaza include a large fitness room and spa; an activity packed Kids Club, two full-service restaurants – one international cuisine and one Italian – a deli, a lobby lounge, and the Poolside Aqua Bar.
I read your comment and I see that this is your first time on Sunset Plaza, so on Behalf of all Sunset Plaza staff: "Welcome to the Family"!!! Every time you visit Puerto Vallarta you can count on us to have remarkable vacations.
Please feel free to contact me if you need any further assistance, we look forward to seeing you soon!
lgomez @hotelesfgdlplaza.com.mx
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just came back from a week stay at Sunset Plaza. I can't say enough good things about this hotel, starting with Javier (the manager) meeting our taxi, our wonderful butler "Ivan" who took such good care of us, our breakfast waiter "Enzo" who knew our breakfast order every morning, this hotel has first class service, it is a small hotel dedicated to outstanding service. The resort itself is spotless, we had a beautiful room overlooking the ocean, soft drinks, beer and chips that are replenished daily, comfortable beds, beautiful big shower with jacuzzi tub, the food was fantastic, unlimited premium drinks, heated pool, no vendors, this is the by far the best vacation I have every enjoyed, I can't recommend this hotel enough. Also special mention to Miguel, Selene, Alejandro, and I am sure I am still missing somebody, all to say if you stay here you will not be dissapointed.

Dear Ms. Betty,
Thank you very much for visit us at Sunset Plaza and for taking the time to write your comment on Trip Advisor as well as recommending us. I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay.
I will extend your congratulations to our staff, I am sure they will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa Located right on the beach at the center of the hotel zone, just a few minutes´ walk from the rich culture and traditional architecture of downtown and it is only 2.5 miles from the international airport and steps from the most important malls and beautiful Marina Vallarta. Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa is very close to everything Puerto Vallarta has to offer: dining, nightlife, shopping, golf and culture – yet far enough to ensure a relaxing and tranquil retreat.
On behalf of our staff wish you a wonderful day and we look forward to seeing you soon on this beautiful country.
Kind Regards,
ONT, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just spent a week here and have to say the resort is very nice. Beautiful ocean view rooms, very well maintained property and staff that go the extra mile to make your stay perfect!

The rooms are large and clean with huge showers and plenty of storage for luggage and clothes. The beds were comfortable and the mini fridge was kept stocked.

The pools are large and the wait staff attentive. The pool bar was always quick to serve up a fresh drink or a cold cerveza! My only complaint if you could call it one is that both pools felt heated so not always as refreshing as I'd like.

The food is good and our waiters for the most part were impressive. We found Jose (shaved head) and Enzo to be our favourite servers. We'd always ask what section they were working because they were excellent! The music in Lucianos was a little loud and the lighting could have been brought up a bit but nothing my iPhone flashlight couldn't handle when reading the menus!

For us, the real jewel of this resort was our friend Ivan. He was our butler and took care of us. He helped us get settled, advised us of places to visit and more importantly arranged for a special birthday surprise for my Mother. He went on his day off and purchased decorations and balloons. He installed them and when she saw them was so happy and surprised. Way to go Ivan...you are very good at your job!!!

Overall this resort is quiet, clean and affordable. If you're looking for nightlife on the resort other than drinks and conversation this might not be your place, but if you want relaxed, layer back fun with a friends or family I would recommend it.

Thanks for a great week! I'll be back!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Steven,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your lovely experience. We are very happy to know we were part of your vacations; it truly was a pleasure to assist you, and you felt pampered and well taken care please know that Sunset Plaza "will always be your home " We are very proud we were able to surprise you with our food, and facilities.
I will extend your congratulations to Ivan for their great job.
We hope to see you soon and pamper you on your next stay.
Best Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We spent three glorious days here, and wished we had spent more. The check in was a breeze, the service was outstanding. We had people rush to help at every move. Oscar (bar and waiter around pool) was more then helpful, and both restaurants were excellent in quality and presentation. The swim up bar had us in heaven, and the Miami Vice drink was the best. We never once had to look far for help. Wish they posted a board with the activities as I would have enjoyed the yoga but did not find out until too late. Everyone there should be acknowledged for their positive service and what they make the property. We will be back two times next year!

Room Tip: For the view, go high. Do the Las Caletas day tour it is fantastic
Dear Mrs. Melody,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments after your experience in our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your recognition for our resort characteristics, room comfort, and for highlighting the strengths of our facilities to fully comply with our guest expectations. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
Puerto Vallarta has many options to offer about food, fun and nature areas, so we will be very happy if you visited us once again.
Have a great day!
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

By far the most satisfying stay that I have ever had a hotel... so much so that it warranted my first Trip Advisor review.
LOCATION:
I went with a friend (both in our mid 40's) for a quiet and relaxing vacation and that's what we got.
The resort is beautifully situated on Banderas Bay within walking distance or short, inexpensive cab ride to tons of shopping, entertainment and restaurants.
HOTEL:
The hotel was beautiful and immaculately clean. The staff and the service they provided were exceptional... the best I have ever experienced anywhere in Mexico or the Caribbean. They were always friendly and incredibly accommodating. The rooms/balcony were a generous size and the comfortable beds provided us with the best sleeps that we've had in a long time. Every room has a spectacular ocean view. My only complaint that I would have is that I would have preferred better lighting in the bathroom.
The pool and hot tub areas were generous and there was never an issue finding chairs. They also had many beds around the adult pool for relaxing or having a little afternoon nap.
FOOD AND DRINK:
The meals were all a la carte with a generous selection of dishes for all meals.
For breakfast be sure to try the French Toast... the best I have ever tasted!
A special mention must go out to Victor, the dinner captain at the Mirador Grill. He and his staff went above and beyond. I felt like a VIP at every single meal. The food was always fresh and deliciously prepared.
Their Italian restaurant was delicious as well and I regret not booking it for another night as there were so many tempting dishes on their menu, it took me a while to make up my mind what to order.
The drinks at the bar were well made and not too sweet like you find sometimes at other resorts. Be sure to try their mango mojito!
The Deli, open from noon to 7pm, had fabulous sandwiches, salads and desserts.
THE HOTEL MANAGER (Javier)
I believe that the success of this hotel is greatly due to Javier, the hotel manager. He's truly a 'people person' and sincerely cares about the guests at the hotel. He approached me at the Concierge desk when I was asking assistance in locating a health food store in Puerta Vallarta. After spending 10-15 minutes on the internet and a lengthy conversation with a store manager on the phone, he provided me with all the information on the products that I needed. He told me that if I was unable to make it to the store that he would be happy to go and pick up what I needed for me.

Thank you Sunset Plaza for such an amazing week! I definitely plan to return to Puerta Vallarta and look forward to staying at the Sunset Plaza again!

Room Tip: I would avoid an adjoining suite if possible. Sometimes the guests in the next room could be a littl...
Dear Ms. Brenda,
Please allow me to start by thanking you for taking the time to share with us your impressions regarding your stay, I am happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your vacation with us, we will be looking forward to seeing you here every year.
Thank you so much to share your lovely experience; Sunset Plaza is very proud to know we exceeded your expectations making your vacation memorable and special.
Puerto Vallarta has many options to offer when it comes to food, fun and nature areas, so we will be very happy if you give us the opportunity to host you in your home away from home.
lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!