“An Ideal Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
edmonton
“An Ideal Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We were at Sunset Plaza Nov 2-9. My husband and I visited with our 2 and a half year old son.

FLIGHT:
We flew with Air Transat. Our flight was delayed resulting in a 2.5 hr long customs line. While our son was ok, other parents with young children would have had an easier time if they had their strollers (like the Air Canada patrons). 2.5 hrs is a long time to hold an infant or sleeping toddler.

CHECK IN:
This delay also involved check-in being a somewhat lengthy process as we arrived at Sunset plaza along with other flights etc. Not the hotels fault, but would be nice if it could have all been hurried up a bit. We were provided with drinks etc, staffw as very welcoming.

ROOM:
We had a suite on the 11th floor. Spacious, beautiful view, comfortable beds. Absolutely no complaints.

FOOD:
Great! We thought choices would be limited because there are only two restaurants and are accustomed to having a buffet option at other all inclusives, but ordering off the menu is a far better system resulting in fresher, high quality food. There was always enough choice at Mirador and Luciano and I appreciated that food was prepared with care, never oily etc. .. this may be our first time NOT gaining weight at an all inclusive, yet we enjoyed the food there very much. luciano makes great pasta, we were thankful our son (a fussy eater) developed a liking for the spghetti and at both restaurants the staff would bring him carrots, cucumber, fruit... things we knew he would eat but were not necessarily on the menu.

The deli had good salads and sandwiches. Both times I was there people came in and asked for ice cream, which they did not serve. But based on the demand, that might be something to consider. We would have certainly taken advantage if the option was there.

SERVICE:
Throughout the hotel the staff is great. We tend not to depend on staff too much, realizing that they are busy etc and chose not to really ask anything of our butler. Whenever we had questions the front desk was helpful. Hazael was wonderful. They were all very nice to our son (and children in general). We especially appreciate the restaurant staff and their patience with a hyperactive toddler.

Some of the restaurant service could use polishing (refilling glasses, clearing plates, meals for all ppl at the table being brought out closer togther/at the same time), but this is all easily overlooked because you can see they are trying and they are all very friendly (and busy!).

POOL AND BEACH
The beach is small with only a few chairs, but our son was happy starting his day playing in the sand before migrating to the pools. The pools are beautiful and well maintained, I did not really use the swim up bar because I am pregnant and my husband didn't drink much because of our situation, but he said he had some good wine with his meals and whenever he did order a drink he had no complaints. There is an adult pool which we did not use, and the pools are divide into three sections/three pools. One was the perfect depth for our son. There is also a small kiddie pool by the kids club that my son enjoyed.

KIDS CLUB
Would be nice if there were scheduled activities and there should be a sign in section. We didn't really use it but my son enjoyed the little play structure (slide, two swings) and kiddie pool. When we did venture into the kids club the girl would look at us as if she was surprised to see us and never (on an almost daily basis of my son wandering into there attracted by the toys, crafts on display etc.) offered any assistance, any activities to do, nothing. She would smile, but never spoke to us. To be fair I never did ask as we were there to enjoy the pools beach etc, but some effort would have been nice. It is a small facility but looks well equipped.

We were lucky enough to be there when they released the baby turtles into the ocean. Hazael was great, providing info, and I noticed that long after people had left he was looking out to sea at possible predators etc. It is obviously a program dear to his heart and that he takes seriously. What a great experience for our son as well. After that we would go check on the turtle nests daily... no more hatched during our stay, but still fun for our son to "visit".

LOCATION
Liquor store, drugstore etc right outside hotel premises. 5 minute cab rides (50 pesos) to the Malecon, malls and walmart also a short cab rie away of you need anything. Great to be so close to the malecon, lots to do and see, felt safe both day and night. Highly recommend.

TIMESHARE
We got talked into going through the one hour pitch to save 50% on two tours of our choice: we chose Pirate Ship and Las Caletas (sidenote - both excursions were fantastic and I particularly recommend Las Caletas). We were also given a free tour, chocie of City or Jungle through Tropical Adventures. I asked for the one with less shopping (having developed a distaste for tours where you are confined to a 'marketplace' etc on the way to whatever attarction you actually want to visit) and the Jungle one was recommended. They said lunch was not included, but that they visited a restaurant at the end of the trip. Fortunately, I did a search on tripadvisor the night before and learned that the Tropical Adventures tour is a scam. Both tours are essentially the same, you don't actually see much worth seeing, they take you to shopping place after shopping place (which are ripoff prices), on a pretend 'hike' etc., and conclude at an expensive restaurant. We decided not to go on it, and I am glad we did not waste a day on that. The pitch itself was not all that aggressive and we were never bothered again.

OTHER:
Highly recommend the Vallarta Zoo... you get to feed the animals!

Overall a great vacation and if we ever return to Pueryo Vallarta we would most definitely stay at Sunset Plaza again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you about these great words you gave us. We are really glad about hearing our hotel was about your entire satisfaction.
I will extend your congratulations to our staff, I am sure they will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
Thank you for your words in this review, we appreciate the good recommendation for future guests.
Greetings,

1,259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have to say the resort is very nice. Beautiful ocean view rooms, very well maintained property and staff that go the extra mile to make your stay perfect! The rooms are clean with huge showers and plenty of storage for luggage and clothes. The beds were comfortable. The pools are large and the wait staff attentive. The pool bar was always quick to serve up a fresh drink or a cold cerveza! The food is ok and our waiters for the most part were impressive. Overall this resort is quiet, clean and affordable. If you layer back fun with friends or family I would recommend it. Thanks for a great week! I'll be back!!! See you next year.

Dear Ms. Sonia,
Please allow me to start by thanking you for taking the time to share with us your impressions regarding your stay, I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us, we will be looking forward to seeing you here every year.
Thank you so much to share your lovely experience; Sunset Plaza is very proud to know we exceeded your expectations making your vacation memorable and special.
Puerto Vallarta has many options to offer when it comes to food, fun and nature areas, so we will be very happy if you give us the opportunity to host you in your home away from home.
CA, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Check in experience was terrible. We had to wait 30+ minutes, and the staff wouldn't bring us drinks. We asked for food next and they took us to a tiny gross depressing cafe with a really limited menu. They brought us a tiny bowl of guac for 4 people and then said they were out when we asked for more. They served us beer in tiny plastic cafeteria glasses. Most of the staff wasn't friendly, and no one went out of their way to give us service. Opposite of a resort experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Positives;
This hotel is super well manicured and maintained.
The menu for table a la cart changes every few days. You can even order food with your specification.
The butler Hazael was awesome.
The waiters at restaurant were all good especially Enzo, Eduardo, at the top following Jose and cesar and the rest.
You could ask for rooms to be serviced even twice a day.
The rooms are fantastic, clean and modern.
The Cabernet wine was exquisite!

Negatives;
All was good with one exception about whirlpool which we caught Folliculitis from not enough chlorine in the water.concierge
Another deal breaker was the concierge who would not take NO for an answer and kept trying time & time to convince us to attend a presentation to get sucked in to timeshare! ....Hey man the days of time shares are long gone and everyone knows it is just a scam!

This is the place in the center of everything one can ask.
If you want to get relax by the beach and enjoy the good food and sun and swimming pool this is the place!
Given the chance we will be back.

Room Tip: Just tell the concierge NO NO NO and tell him: Read my lips and not to ruin my vacation!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Guest,
Sunset Plaza highly appreciates the time you have taken to write such a great review. It truly was a pleasure to host you. We are so thrilled to know you enjoyed the service, rooms, atmosphere and the exquisite dishes in our restaurants.
We appreciate your insight about the lobby sales staff and appropriate action will be taken to correct our current customer service approached practices.
We are very glad to know that you had a good experience with us. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on a near future.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

It was the first time my husband and I took an all inclusive vacation because of our cute new baby-girl addition (1 year old) and we didn't know what to expect. We certainly did not expect a luxurious suite, modern, spotless and very spacious with two bathrooms, a walk in closet and a nice kitchen, livingroom and dining area. We certainly did not expect being pampered by each and every employee. We did not expect to have fine cuisine in a la cart restaurants, whereas each sophisticated course was served tastefully and made out of the freshest and finest ingredients. We did not expect to enjoy it as much as we did - but we did. It was heaven upon earth.

Dear Mr. Mike,
We hope you and your beautiful family are well. First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor. We love the title of you comment “A little taste of heaven” thank you.
For us it is really motivating to know that our service makes the difference in our guests’ visit. We are very proud we were able to surprise you with our a la carte service. We strongly believe in the personalized service and the benefits of having menu choices with tasty dishes. Thank you for your appreciation.
Each of the Sunset Plaza’s spacious guest rooms and suites features a private terrace with a breathtaking 180° view of the ocean and the spectacular Puerto Vallarta´s sunset. The rooms are warmly decorated in hues of orange, gold and sparkle, equipped with fine granite countertops, marble bathroom surfaces, and elegant contemporary wood furniture.
Amenities at Sunset Plaza include a large fitness room and spa; an activity packed Kids Club, two full-service restaurants – one international cuisine and one Italian – a deli, a lobby lounge, and the Poolside Aqua Bar.
I read your comment and I see that this is your first time on Sunset Plaza, so on Behalf of all Sunset Plaza staff: "Welcome to the Family"!!! Every time you visit Puerto Vallarta you can count on us to have remarkable vacations.
Please feel free to contact me if you need any further assistance, we look forward to seeing you soon!
lgomez @hotelesfgdlplaza.com.mx
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just came back from a week stay at Sunset Plaza. I can't say enough good things about this hotel, starting with Javier (the manager) meeting our taxi, our wonderful butler "Ivan" who took such good care of us, our breakfast waiter "Enzo" who knew our breakfast order every morning, this hotel has first class service, it is a small hotel dedicated to outstanding service. The resort itself is spotless, we had a beautiful room overlooking the ocean, soft drinks, beer and chips that are replenished daily, comfortable beds, beautiful big shower with jacuzzi tub, the food was fantastic, unlimited premium drinks, heated pool, no vendors, this is the by far the best vacation I have every enjoyed, I can't recommend this hotel enough. Also special mention to Miguel, Selene, Alejandro, and I am sure I am still missing somebody, all to say if you stay here you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Betty,
Thank you very much for visit us at Sunset Plaza and for taking the time to write your comment on Trip Advisor as well as recommending us. I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay.
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa Located right on the beach at the center of the hotel zone, just a few minutes´ walk from the rich culture and traditional architecture of downtown and it is only 2.5 miles from the international airport and steps from the most important malls and beautiful Marina Vallarta. Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa is very close to everything Puerto Vallarta has to offer: dining, nightlife, shopping, golf and culture – yet far enough to ensure a relaxing and tranquil retreat.
On behalf of our staff wish you a wonderful day and we look forward to seeing you soon on this beautiful country.
Kind Regards,
ONT, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just spent a week here and have to say the resort is very nice. Beautiful ocean view rooms, very well maintained property and staff that go the extra mile to make your stay perfect!

The rooms are large and clean with huge showers and plenty of storage for luggage and clothes. The beds were comfortable and the mini fridge was kept stocked.

The pools are large and the wait staff attentive. The pool bar was always quick to serve up a fresh drink or a cold cerveza! My only complaint if you could call it one is that both pools felt heated so not always as refreshing as I'd like.

The food is good and our waiters for the most part were impressive. We found Jose (shaved head) and Enzo to be our favourite servers. We'd always ask what section they were working because they were excellent! The music in Lucianos was a little loud and the lighting could have been brought up a bit but nothing my iPhone flashlight couldn't handle when reading the menus!

For us, the real jewel of this resort was our friend Ivan. He was our butler and took care of us. He helped us get settled, advised us of places to visit and more importantly arranged for a special birthday surprise for my Mother. He went on his day off and purchased decorations and balloons. He installed them and when she saw them was so happy and surprised. Way to go Ivan...you are very good at your job!!!

Overall this resort is quiet, clean and affordable. If you're looking for nightlife on the resort other than drinks and conversation this might not be your place, but if you want relaxed, layer back fun with a friends or family I would recommend it.

Thanks for a great week! I'll be back!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Steven,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your lovely experience. We are very happy to know we were part of your vacations; it truly was a pleasure to assist you, and you felt pampered and well taken care please know that Sunset Plaza "will always be your home " We are very proud we were able to surprise you with our food, and facilities.
I will extend your congratulations to Ivan for their great job.
We hope to see you soon and pamper you on your next stay.
Best Regards,
lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!