We were at Sunset Plaza Nov 2-9. My husband and I visited with our 2 and a half year old son.
We flew with Air Transat. Our flight was delayed resulting in a 2.5 hr long customs line. While our son was ok, other parents with young children would have had an easier time if they had their strollers (like the Air Canada patrons). 2.5 hrs is a long time to hold an infant or sleeping toddler.
This delay also involved check-in being a somewhat lengthy process as we arrived at Sunset plaza along with other flights etc. Not the hotels fault, but would be nice if it could have all been hurried up a bit. We were provided with drinks etc, staffw as very welcoming.
We had a suite on the 11th floor. Spacious, beautiful view, comfortable beds. Absolutely no complaints.
Great! We thought choices would be limited because there are only two restaurants and are accustomed to having a buffet option at other all inclusives, but ordering off the menu is a far better system resulting in fresher, high quality food. There was always enough choice at Mirador and Luciano and I appreciated that food was prepared with care, never oily etc. .. this may be our first time NOT gaining weight at an all inclusive, yet we enjoyed the food there very much. luciano makes great pasta, we were thankful our son (a fussy eater) developed a liking for the spghetti and at both restaurants the staff would bring him carrots, cucumber, fruit... things we knew he would eat but were not necessarily on the menu.
The deli had good salads and sandwiches. Both times I was there people came in and asked for ice cream, which they did not serve. But based on the demand, that might be something to consider. We would have certainly taken advantage if the option was there.
Throughout the hotel the staff is great. We tend not to depend on staff too much, realizing that they are busy etc and chose not to really ask anything of our butler. Whenever we had questions the front desk was helpful. Hazael was wonderful. They were all very nice to our son (and children in general). We especially appreciate the restaurant staff and their patience with a hyperactive toddler.
Some of the restaurant service could use polishing (refilling glasses, clearing plates, meals for all ppl at the table being brought out closer togther/at the same time), but this is all easily overlooked because you can see they are trying and they are all very friendly (and busy!).
POOL AND BEACH
The beach is small with only a few chairs, but our son was happy starting his day playing in the sand before migrating to the pools. The pools are beautiful and well maintained, I did not really use the swim up bar because I am pregnant and my husband didn't drink much because of our situation, but he said he had some good wine with his meals and whenever he did order a drink he had no complaints. There is an adult pool which we did not use, and the pools are divide into three sections/three pools. One was the perfect depth for our son. There is also a small kiddie pool by the kids club that my son enjoyed.
Would be nice if there were scheduled activities and there should be a sign in section. We didn't really use it but my son enjoyed the little play structure (slide, two swings) and kiddie pool. When we did venture into the kids club the girl would look at us as if she was surprised to see us and never (on an almost daily basis of my son wandering into there attracted by the toys, crafts on display etc.) offered any assistance, any activities to do, nothing. She would smile, but never spoke to us. To be fair I never did ask as we were there to enjoy the pools beach etc, but some effort would have been nice. It is a small facility but looks well equipped.
We were lucky enough to be there when they released the baby turtles into the ocean. Hazael was great, providing info, and I noticed that long after people had left he was looking out to sea at possible predators etc. It is obviously a program dear to his heart and that he takes seriously. What a great experience for our son as well. After that we would go check on the turtle nests daily... no more hatched during our stay, but still fun for our son to "visit".
Liquor store, drugstore etc right outside hotel premises. 5 minute cab rides (50 pesos) to the Malecon, malls and walmart also a short cab rie away of you need anything. Great to be so close to the malecon, lots to do and see, felt safe both day and night. Highly recommend.
We got talked into going through the one hour pitch to save 50% on two tours of our choice: we chose Pirate Ship and Las Caletas (sidenote - both excursions were fantastic and I particularly recommend Las Caletas). We were also given a free tour, chocie of City or Jungle through Tropical Adventures. I asked for the one with less shopping (having developed a distaste for tours where you are confined to a 'marketplace' etc on the way to whatever attarction you actually want to visit) and the Jungle one was recommended. They said lunch was not included, but that they visited a restaurant at the end of the trip. Fortunately, I did a search on tripadvisor the night before and learned that the Tropical Adventures tour is a scam. Both tours are essentially the same, you don't actually see much worth seeing, they take you to shopping place after shopping place (which are ripoff prices), on a pretend 'hike' etc., and conclude at an expensive restaurant. We decided not to go on it, and I am glad we did not waste a day on that. The pitch itself was not all that aggressive and we were never bothered again.
Highly recommend the Vallarta Zoo... you get to feed the animals!
Overall a great vacation and if we ever return to Pueryo Vallarta we would most definitely stay at Sunset Plaza again and highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest resorts in the Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa boasts an incredible location. It is only a 5-minute cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where a wide array of world-class restaurants, shops, and galleries are available for your pleasure. Plus, you won`t want to miss the on-going display of local art, and a nightly show of the famous Papantla Fliers.Comfort is also one of hotels strengths; apart from hotels privileged location within Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, the tranquility of hotels beach is palpable. Everything is flawlessly harmonized to insure that your dream vacation encounters the perfect scenario.100 suites all front ocean view with huge terraces.Amenities include a large fitness center and spa, activity Kids Club, two full-service restaurants Mexican and Italian a self-service deli, a lobby lounge, and the poolside Aqua Bar. Whether you plan to visit for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon, plan to make Sunset Plaza Beach Resort your destination ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta