We were at the beautiful Sunset Plaza Hotel over Labor Day weekend 2013. We wanted to get away for a relaxing, quiet resort experience (no hassle) and Sunset Plaza is just the right size if you want a relaxing peaceful vacation. The pools are clean with plenty of lounge chairs. We never had to reserve chairs when we were there. Drinks were plentiful upon request. There is an open air restaurant by the pools for meals with plenty of seating. We ordered food with special requests, and the servers /chefs were glad to accommodate us. We got the all inclusive package and very happy with this option. Most everything we wanted was included. It was pretty amazing. We spent a lot of time by the adult pool in the wonderful poolside beds. We ordered lunch each day delivered to us at the pool and it was delicious. I cannot say enough about the effort this hotel makes to make each guest feel welcome. We had dinner on the property a couple of times and it was good with changing menus providing different options. We also went to Daiquiri Dicks in Old Town the night we arrived and had a very nice meal. The Sunset Beach Plaza Resort is low key compared to some of the larger party resorts. The rooms are just as described. The one bedroom suite is spacious and the view Is beautiful. During the first day, noisy people check-in the room next door and we were moved (staff was there to help) immediately upon request and never had another problem. A few snacks and drinks (chips, water, beer, soda,) are provided daily for the room. TV channel options (fyi) are good and room controlled air conditioned worked very well. The suite had a large, clean beautiful bath in suite and a nice smaller second bath.
All the staff is serviced focused. The resort is immaculate overall. We were asked once upon arrival about their timeshare option (by a person saying he was a concierge) and said we were not interested. I had seen that this might happen, based on your arrival time, in other Trip Advisor reviews. We were never asked again. No lines, no crowds, no pressure to buy anything at this resort. We did not go to the small beach area, but saw it was clean. The management is interested in making your stay exceptional. Security is very good with an entrance gate and guard monitoring anyone that enters and exits. We did tip the butlers for their excellent attention and service, servers for excellent food and drink service and the nice maid when departing since tips are not included in the all inclusive.
We never had an issue with cabs from the hotel. We also asked for a half day rate on our last day, to keep the room through the afternoon and were able to do that.
If your not familiar with the PV airport, here are a few observations: the airport is much improved from the last time we were here (many years ago). We did experience many people calling out to you from booths --- "for a cab" as we exited the airport. After researching, we found that the official Yellow Cab is recommended for transportation. You take a cross walk (bridge) after walking outside the airport --- to get to the official Yellow Cab. We were not swarmed with people trying to sell timeshares, etc. They appear to keep their distance unless you engage or make eye contact with them. Heads up, someone tries to hand you a flyer when you are exiting the airport, and I was heads down ignoring the flyer. A flight attendant walking next to me told me it was in English and helpful for local information and gave me her copy , so it may be helpful to you. There is a convenience store across a parking lot from the airport front doors if you want snacks. We checked our bags first and then walked over to purchase snacks for the trip home. There are also some fast food type vendors in the airport. I saw a Carl's upstairs from the Alaska Airlines check-in area (and a few other local places to get food)
We will return to this very nice resort. We are experienced travelers and are careful in our planning to ensure the best experience to match our vacation style and I cannot say enough positive comments about this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest resorts in the Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa boasts an incredible location. It is only a 5-minute cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where a wide array of world-class restaurants, shops, and galleries are available for your pleasure. Plus, you won`t want to miss the on-going display of local art, and a nightly show of the famous Papantla Fliers.Comfort is also one of hotels strengths; apart from hotels privileged location within Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, the tranquility of hotels beach is palpable. Everything is flawlessly harmonized to insure that your dream vacation encounters the perfect scenario.100 suites all front ocean view with huge terraces.Amenities include a large fitness center and spa, activity Kids Club, two full-service restaurants Mexican and Italian a self-service deli, a lobby lounge, and the poolside Aqua Bar. Whether you plan to visit for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon, plan to make Sunset Plaza Beach Resort your destination ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa