“A True 5 Star ALL Inclusive Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Agua Dulce, California
“A True 5 Star ALL Inclusive Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my husband have been on so many group trips in the last few years and Sunset Plaza is now at the top of our list of favorites. We were a group of three couples. The hotel is modern, well maintained, rooms are very nice, crisp clean towels & linens, beds comfortable ...... But the cabana beds, WOW in the adult private pool are even better. Usually the best food at all inclusive s are at the themed restaurants that you have to make a reservation. We were pleasantly surprised at the main restaurant was excellent ever time we ate. The servers and cooks were so accommodating to all our picky requests and remembered us, which made it so easy the days that followed. They could have more beer choices just Modela dark and light for the package, you can pay for other brands . . But their Spirit choices had good range. We caught a 20 kilo Blue fin Tuna one day on a fishing trip our Butler set up, and the Chef created the most delightful fish tacos and Ceviche for our group. They really seemed to enjoy the challenge of impressing us with what they could do with our catch. A few nights we caught the entertainment in the indoor lounge and it was nice, but it seemed short and not every night. The staff are the Hero's of our experience and makes this place a gem. Thank you Ivan (our butler) who went beyond our expectation with a surprise Birthday and found a cell phone left in a cab in old town.
Alejandro , Enzo and Pablo took excellent care of our cocktail needs and appetite. They seemed to genuinely enjoy what they do, with their own personality. I feel like we have friends in PVC now.
A couple of us booked spa treatments, and all I can say ....Amazing and priced well. Moises --- if we could, we'd pack you in our suitcase. Although none of our group brought children, we noticed and approved the set up. We would certainly recommend this Hotel and perhaps come back again ourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Mrs. Caroline,
Thank you so much for all your comments; we are so grateful for fulfill your visit expections and considering Sunset Plaza Hotel as your destination. Thanks for your positive remarks on our service and cuisine. In our restaurants we are worry to have a wide variety of gastronomic creations and innovative spirit to satisfy all guests needs.
I just send your congratulate to my co-workers Ivan, Alejandro, Enzo, Pablo & Moises.
! Thank you once again !

1,211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

OMG where do I start. We went to Sunset in July of this year 2013 with three another couples. From the time we got to the hotel to the time we left we were taking care. Alejardo our waiter was AWESOME. we were never left empty hand on drinks lol. This hotel is beautiful and VERY CLEAN. I loved the fact that they remember us by names and took care of us. I felt SAFE the whole time their. This hotel is close to everything. WE ARE ALREADY PLANNING OUR TRIP FOR NEXT YEAR there. I loved the fact that the food was freshly made every day. We spent most of our time in the adult pool. We went on a fishing trip and my husband caught a mui mui, took it back to hotel and they cooked it for us with no charge but of COURSE we TIPPED them very good. We also asked to see the cook after and TIPPED him again. This place is a great place. I loved it because its not that big. CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we strive ourselves day by day to provide the best service and make your stay unforgettable. We hope to see you back again at Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Have a great day!
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Me and my husband went with 3 other couples for 6 nights in July. All of us were blown away by the excellent service, food, and we had the most wonderful amazing time. We mostly hung out at the adult pool and Alejandro waited on us hand and foot. He was practically running back and forth with our drinks and food all day long. I have never seen such a hard worker. He was amazing. The hotel staff were all courteous and helpful. I can't remember everyones name but we also loved the service from hotel crew Roberto and Jose Luis. They checked in with us everyday and reserved taxi's for us when we left the resort. Every part of the hotel is super clean. The hotel staff is working until late in the evening to keep this hotel clean. I felt safe and felt that they went out of their way to make us feel safe and tracked us when we left and had security check us in. We went on a fishing trip and the hotel offered to make us a bag lunch and then cooked the fish for us when we returned and presented it so beautiful and it was delicious. I have so many good things to say about this place. The location is great too. Its really close to downtown Puerto Vallarta. We want to go back here again next year and talked about it so much we might have twice as many people with us next year. Awesome experience and the best service.

Room Tip: I loved the suite, it was HUGE and the balconly was so big. My sister had the single room and it was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
It is great to hear your nice comments about our resort; I shared them with the staff involved.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you soon.
East Newark, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My bf & I recently stayed at Sunset Plaza in July for 8 days. This resort is amazing. It's small (1 building only) Has one large pool, an Adults only pool covered by Bamboo tree's and cabana's for you to relax. I thought it was a great idea. Each room comes with a butler. Although it was an all-inclusive resort there are NO Buffets which makes it even better. They have a main restaurant where the menu's vary for breakfast/lunch/dinner and 1 Italian restaurant called Luciano's that you can always get a reservation even last minute. The food was absolutley amazing gourmet style presentation. The staff is very courteous and attentive. The resort is not located in the 'town' area which makes it nice and quiet at night & during the day. It is a safe area to walk around the avenue and shop at the little stores. We did a spa treatment on the last day and enjoyed it very much. Would recommend this place to anyone and would stay there again if we were to return to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view so you can't go wrong! There are suites available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lia,
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food, service and facilities. It was our pleasure to have you here and would love to host you again on your next trip.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went to the Sunset Plaza hotel in Puerto Vallarta for a week's holiday with my 2 sons (18 and 14, boy and girl, respectively) ended up having a wonderful time there, it is a fabulous hotel in all respects!!!!

We took a suite with one bedroom and a separate lounge/kitchen area that was huge, beautifully decorated and comfortable, with the sofa converting to a double bed. Everything was spotless, impeccable, of good taste and top quality. The view from the room (both the bedroom and the lounge) was fabulous of all the sea.

The same excellent comment apply to all the hotel, truly a 5-star and more!!! The staff was always courteous and friendly, the installations impeccable, the hotel not too big and everything within a short distance, the lovely pool facing the ocean was fabulous, the food excellent. I think this is the loveliest hotel I have been to in a long time - and my 2 children fully agree!!!!!

My only regret is having to leave the hotel, I hope to return soon!

Room Tip: For a small extra, get the suite if you can. All rooms have a wonderful view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Luis,
Thank you so much for all your comments; we are so grateful for considering Sunset Plaza Hotel as your destination. Thanks for your positive comments on our service, facilities and food. ! Thank you once again !
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

It was our first time in Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights all inclusive. We got to experience the deluxe room and the 1 bedroom suite. Deluxe room with 2 beds is big enough but what a great experience in one of these spacious 1 bedroom suite. Traveling with a preteen is perfect with the 1 bedroom suite.
Coming off from the taxi in the hotel. Javier and the staff was out there welcoming us to the hotel. While waiting for the reception to check you in, juice and champagne is being serve from the staff. Angel helped us in the reception. He was really nice. Ask for the higher floors. The view is so amazing! All the rooms are ocean view. As an airline crew, got to stayed with major hotel chains. With this hotel, everyone will get to see the gorgeous beach view!
Ivan the butler is so accommodating. He walked us to our room, explain every details what the hotel has to offer. From hotel restaurants to even what aromatherapy scent you like in your room. He made our stay a very memorable one and wants to keep coming back.
Beach side view is great but not crazy about swimming in it, my son still loves it as any kid would be. We got to see baby turtles swim to their home. Our son got to participate in letting one of the newly hatched sea turtles to the ocean. That was a great experience.
You have to do one of the ATV tours. The mountains are close by so this is a must. We had a blast! We were in a rhino but will drive one of those ATV next time.
We will definitely go back. It was a great experience for us and cannot wait for the next adventure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and posting your nice review. I am so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Sunset Plaza Hotel guests have. Puerto Vallarta has many options to offer about food, fun and nature areas, so we will be very happy if you visited us once again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel was relatively small (100 rooms) but it had all the amenities I would want in a high class hotel. The pools were uncrowded and the swim up bar was very accessible. The adults only swimming pool has canopied lounge beds and the lack of a swim up bar at this pool is completely offset by an amazing wait staff. The rooms all have beautiful views and completely private balconies, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are nicely done. The dining is not the typical buffet style you find in most all inclusive places. Instead, there are several restaurants. They have different levels of formality but the food in everyone was very good (and I know a good meal when I have one!)

However, the amenities of the hotel are not the reasons I will return. The service at this hotel was above and beyond any service I have gotten at home or abroad! From the moment we walked in we were made to feel at home. We had a Host named Hazael who greeted us every time we were in the lobby and never missed a chance to make sure we were content. The servers at the restaurants were all very professional and efficient and the two bartenders in the Lobby Bar (Cipriano and Sharon) were two of the best all around bartenders that have ever served me. They not only remembered exactly what we drank and how we liked it but they made sure we had a fresh drink when we wanted one and they also gave us great advice on things to do and where to eat when we wanted to leave the hotel. Last, but certainly not least, is a server named Alejandro Arce. This young man was our waiter when we lounged poolside. He is so fast, efficient, and personable that he knew when you needed something before you did. He remembered not only what you like to eat and drink but how you liked it and he gave the same service to everyone at the pool. He even made a special cocktail for a couple on their first day at the hotel and remembered exactly what the cocktail was and when they liked to have it. Alejandro is simply an amazing server.

This hotel, like most all inclusive places, is available for timeshare. I was pleasantly surprised when they only asked once if we wanted to attend their presentation. They were not high pressure or overly aggressive with it. They simply told us that we could attend a presentation (and of course offered us discounts if we did) and accepted our response when we said “No Thanks”. Even though I am not interested in buying a timeshare, I will definitely return to the Sunset Plaza on my next trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Eric - Los Angeles

Room Tip: All the rooms have great ocean views and private balconies.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your comments after your experience in our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your recognition for our resort characteristics, room comfort, and for highlighting the strengths of our facilities to fully comply with our guest expectations. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!