“Nice resort but disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Nice resort but disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my second trip to Mexico in the last two years. My first trip was over the top and near perfect so my standards were very high to say the least. Overall the staff at the hotel was excellent and have no complaints there. Most of my issues come from either the policies the hotel has and the resort itself. I purchased an all inclusive option when booking which is supposed to provide all you can eat, drink ETC. Upon checking in I learned they are a few exceptions to what is and is not included. Though the list was small the mistake could be costly to some who may not understand. The bar in the hotel has a section that is not included and is only addressed by a very small sign in the bottom corner. We were also informed by our butler that if we get room and wanted a drink we would be charged full price for it unless we order food with the drink. I feel this is very absurd policy considering you have already paid for the food and beverage via your all-inclusive package. Dining in general at the resort was very slim to say the least. They have a deli which has limited hours, an outdoor diner and an italian restaurant for dinner. I didnt know until I got there that I wouldnt be able to eat at the italian restaurant due to a dress code. I packed tropical for my vacation and the restarant will not admit anyone with shorts or sandals. People in my party were told by their butler that there were unfortunately no exceptions either. My last issue deals with the beach itself on the resort. The beach was very very small and not clean at all. There was garbage all thru the sand and was hounded constantly for excursions and merchandise all day long. If your considering staying in the hotel zone I would suggest another place based off the issues I had.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
On behalf of Sunset Plaza Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinion that definitely helps us to make sure that all our services and facilities fill up our client’s standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I travel a lot. We generally visit at least 1 all-inclusive hotel a year. We don't visit the most super-haute hotels in the world -- we go to places that regular people who can pay a normal amount of money, go. We have been to many resorts, so we talk from experience. Sunset Plaza has many, and I repeat, many excellent features, but ultimately, disappoints. We try to write our reviews as objectively as possible, hence, as usual, we will write a list of pros and cons, and you can decide for yourself what is right for you.

Pros
1. Very quiet -- it is the upmost relaxing vacation you can ask for. Subtle music, no loud drunks, or annoying entertainers by the pool areas.
2. Clean resort -- but what 4+ hotel isn't clean?
3.Jacuzzis -- there are three excellent Jacuzzis to go to, all substantial size, and all very warm.
4. Pools -- very nice pools, with plenty of seating. The adult pool is especially nice since we were able to find a "bed" there every day we were there!!
5. Service -- generally speaking, the service is, indeed, spectacular. But the resort has no more then 100 people staying there at once (it is a tiny resort!). Thus, what do you expect, they practically have the same amount of people serving you, as there are staying there. 1 to 1 ratio. The fact that the resort is small lends itself to having good service.

Average
1. Food -- it is hard to evaluate the food situation. What some people wrote is correct; yes, some food is total garbage, but other stuff is quite good, believe it or not. Coming from NYC, we know what good food is, and the grilled fish served every day was very delicious. Especially the snapper, and ceviche. In reality, it was a hit or miss, depending on day and time of day.

Cons
1. Beach -- the WORST BEACH EVER! We kid you not -- do not go to this resort if you are beach people (like us!) We are not fans of pools (the overall idea of a pool is kind of "meh"), but we were literally forced to be poolside the whole stay at Sunset. Not only is the beach dirty, but its also crowded with vendors, locals, and people from other resorts. I mean, come one folks, take some pride in your resorts and at least clean up the beach a bit. Total and utter disappointment. To be honest, if the beach was at least an "average" one, we would have rated this place a 4+. But, sorry, the beach was just a disaster. (Also, no life guard on duty, ever)
2. Check out -- we were very upset the last day there. Javier, the hotel manager, was not there to assist us (he greeted us initially on our first day, and checked us in). We were hoodwinked by the gentlemen checking us out, talking some nonsense about exchange rates (we both work in Finance, don't kid us, please!). Then they over charged us on services that had an agreed upon price. Javier had told us to approach him with any issues, if we ever had any, and he wasn't even there. It was shocking how a resort that prides itself on service, could be so malicious at check out.

It saddens us to give this resort a 3 star rating because we liked it, in reality, we really did. But the last day killed us, and the beach was upsetting (just looking at it hurt). I apologize for such a rating, but it is the rating it, inevitably, deserves.

Overall, the breakdown for recommendations go like this:
Pool lover: Yes, but be cautious.
Beach lover: Please god, no!

Room Tip: The higher the better -- but you should know that already :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Razmache,
We also would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. We are taking care of your recommendations and taking the necessary steps in order to avoid these situations in the future.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a wonderful week at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa when we were there, June 15 -22, with our daughter, her husband and our two grand kids (ages 4 and 2). This was our second visit to the resort and if anything it was better as the resort has matured, the dining experience more refined and the staff more seasoned over the two plus years since it opened. Sunset Plaza offers an all-inclusive option for one's whole or partial stay.For those who want to prepare their own meals, the kitchen is fully equipped and the resort is a 10 minute walk to a very large supermarket.

We had a luxuriously appointed two bedroom three bathroom unit - with wonderful views of the ocean from each room with large balconies.. We are owners of the Vacation Club and chose the all-inclusive which all of us enjoyed. The best part was that there were no buffets and the quality of the food and service was excellent. Both of the the restaurants had good variety and options the menu changing often. The deli was good for snacks, especially if you are going out for the day and need a packed lunch. We enjoyed everything, and our grand kids were pleased with the food choices and quality. A suggestion we think will further improve the guests' experience here would be to have a BBQ night with cold salads and Mexican specialties (and let it be a buffet for one night a week - it would be a good change) in an informal setting with good music.

Our grandchildren enjoyed the kids club very much and Gloria, the instructor was very creative with the arts and crafts that she organized for the children. .

The pools, including the kids area were most pleasant with adequate seating around or near them, as were the three Jacuzzi's at the terrace level above the Mirador restaurant. The water in the pools was heated and it was nice and warm which has not been the case in many other Mexican resorts We appreciate the policy of not allowing guests to reserve lounge chairs in advance which is an issue in many other resorts. A suggestion here would be to have a few more large umbrellas for those who do not want to sit in the sun.

We were very pleased with the members of the staff we dealt with. They were friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. Mr.Javier Vergara, the resort manager, was a good listener, helpful, attentive, observant, kind and responsive. He sets a good example for the staff and a positive first impression for the guests. This comment also goes for our butler, Ivan who is also an asset to the resort. The bartending staff, Ulysees and Pablo were most accommodating and pleasant as were the servers, Eduardo and Beatriz. The restaurant staff (Jose, Miguel, Humberto, Martin, Cesar, Jorge and others), were very helpful and responsive to our needs and could not do enough for us.

Lastly, we wish to acknowledge the enthusiasm of the events team - who did a lot to make the activities special with cooking lessons, kayaking and pool games.

The resort is peaceful, very comfortable, located on the ocean front, close to the Malecon in central Puerto Vallarta, We are planning to return next year and often thereafter. It is the best experience we have had in a Puerto Vallarta resort. Shell Vacations Club (SVC) which we belong to has very good resorts but in our opinion Sunset Plaza may be one of the better ones associated with SVC.

We would recommend (very highly) this resort for those who want comfort, luxury, convenience, location together with very good service, excellent food at the restaurants, very friendly staff, and all that the west coast of Mexico has to offer - good views, excellent climate, friendly people, varied things to do, and a relaxed vacation.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor unit - if you can, as the views get better from the upper floors and you escape...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear LyndaBill,
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and our all-inclusive; our executive chef and their great team are always happy to please any request. It was our pleasure to have you here and would love to host you again on your next trip.
Seward, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family & I enjoyed 5 days at this resort over the 4th of July. We got upgraded to the penthouse suites and they were roomy and beautiful! The whole property was very nice with people constantly working the grounds. Tropical storm Erick decided to show his face which made for a couple stormy nights and a rainy morning but fortunately the sun came out to stay. Our excursion to Rhythms of the Night got cancelled but at the recommendation of our awesome butler Hazael, we went to a wonderful Mexican restaurant that our whole family enjoyed. It was quite an unforgettable experience with the streets flooded by the storm! I would definitely recommend this property to anyone looking for a nice all-inclusive resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your comments after your experience in our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your recognition for our resort characteristics, room comfort, and for highlighting the strengths of our facilities to fully comply with our guest expectations. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm so glad I chose this hotel! I've never been in a better one in Mexico. The rooms were very clean, the service impeccable, and each room has a private balcony facing the ocean!
Whatever you do, get the all inclusive.
I'd highly recommend this hotel for those of you traveling to Puerto Vallarta! Plus, if you consume alcohol, it is all top brand, good quality liquor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and posting your nice review. I am so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Sunset Plaza Hotel guests have. Puerto Vallarta is a great and complete destination, so we will be very happy if you visited us once again.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Amazing! My family - hubby and ( girls 14 & 11) came at the end of June 2013. It was the week their rainy season started, and it included a tropical storm. That was really our only negative on the whole trip. We wanted to spend more time lounging around the pool but it was overcast and rainy most days, except for one. The service was superb! My daughter turned 11 on the trip and they made it so special. They called ahead to the restuarant(Bubba Gump - downtown) and told them it was her birthday and they had a dessert and sang to her. Then when we came back they had a dessert in our room and wrote happy birthday on the plate. She felt so special. All the butlers were so helpful in answering questions and having recommendations. ( we liked to go out everyday and see the town and experience new things) We did all- inclusive one day which we all really liked. We were surprised at the prices of food everywhere. Every dinner or lunch was at least $50-$70, so it made sense if we were staying all day to do all- inclusive. My girls loved ordering piñadas all day. The waiters at the pool always came around to see if we wanted anything. They enjoyed swimming at the pool because it wasn't crowded and loud like other hotel with kids everywhere. My only suggestion is to have some things for kids ages 10- 18. They have a great kiddie area but it's for smaller children. Then they have 3 huge hot tub areas but it's only for adults. And they have a whole separate pool and area just for adults. So, it would be awesome for a couple getaway. But, my girls still had a great time, we all did. The room was amazing. We had a kitchen and living room. It was very upscale, new and spacious, and the view was amazing! They not only cleaned it everyday and straightened up, but they had a turn down service at night and made their bed ( pull out couch) and left chocolates on their pillow. My girls were very spoiled! They loved it! It was such a nice family vacation and the hotel was a major reason for that. I would recommend Sunset Plaza to everyone, it is so worth the money and makes for a great vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lynn,
Thank you very much for your comments, we strive ourselves day by day to provide the best service and make your stay unforgettable. We hope to see you back again at Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have to start this review by saying that I'd never stayed in an all-inclusive resort, but I'm confident that most are not as nice as Sunset Plaza. I traveled with my wife and her family and we had a great time at a great resort. I'd recommend this resort to any one looking to get away in Mexico.

We stayed for four nights, over the 4th of July weekend. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.

The Staff: I can not speak highly enough of the staff at Sunset Plaza. They were exceptional. Our butler, Hazael, was incredibly helpful and a main reason our stay was so excellent. He developed a strong report with each of the people of our party - when it could have been easy for him to dismiss us as a blip in the mass of humanity that moves through his resort.

Even when he was not around the other butlers and staff in the lobby were courteous and always ready to help.

The wait staff was also excellent. They were always ready with a smile and a glass of Negra Medelo. They were always around when you "needed" them by the pool, but were not obnoxiously bothersome.

My Spanish is terrible and it was nice to know that the staff spoke fluent English. There never seemed to be a language barrier between us and the staff.

The Rooms: The rooms were excellent. We stayed on the top floor in a room with two double-beds and my in-laws stayed in a suite.

Each room faces out towards the ocean and a little bay. From each balcony one can see across the way the ridges of mountains jutting out into the pacific. There was a not a bad view to be had.

The rooms were kept clean and everything was in working order. The air conditioning was always nice to return to when one needed a break from the humidity.

The Pools: Like everything at Sunset Plaza the pools were in top shape. There are plenty of comfortable chairs to lounge in and umbrellas scattered around for one to relax in the shade.

The best part for me was the adult pool which was smaller than the main pool, but secluded (not so much that the wait staff forgot about you) and surrounded by cabanas. I spent most of my days in the cabanas reading, drinking, and taking a dip to cool off.

Oceans: The beach itself was nice, although I found the sand to be more rocky. I went down one day to dip in the Pacific, but other than that didn't spend much time there. With pools as nice as the ones they had - who needs the ocean?

Restaurants/Bars: The restaurants on the resort are also quite good, although I preferred the menu at the pool bar/restaurant to the slightly fancier Italian/Mediterranean. There were great things to eat at every meal, our favorites included: Smoked Marlin Quesadilla's, Fish 'n Chips, and plates of pineapple. Seriously, they have some of the best fruit I've ever tasted.

Atmosphere/Reflections: The atmosphere at the resort was one of leisure and relaxation. Most of the people there were families looking to spend some quiet time by the pool. There were some younger kids (college age) who were a bit rowdy one of the days, but the staff took measures to make sure it never got out of hand.

All in all, I had a great time at Sunset Plaza and would love to go back, as soon as my sunburn heals.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure to have you here as our guest and thank you very much for taking the time to post the comments of your vacation and about your experiences here at our hotel and Puerto Vallarta.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!