My wife and I travel a lot. We generally visit at least 1 all-inclusive hotel a year. We don't visit the most super-haute hotels in the world -- we go to places that regular people who can pay a normal amount of money, go. We have been to many resorts, so we talk from experience. Sunset Plaza has many, and I repeat, many excellent features, but ultimately, disappoints. We try to write our reviews as objectively as possible, hence, as usual, we will write a list of pros and cons, and you can decide for yourself what is right for you.
1. Very quiet -- it is the upmost relaxing vacation you can ask for. Subtle music, no loud drunks, or annoying entertainers by the pool areas.
2. Clean resort -- but what 4+ hotel isn't clean?
3.Jacuzzis -- there are three excellent Jacuzzis to go to, all substantial size, and all very warm.
4. Pools -- very nice pools, with plenty of seating. The adult pool is especially nice since we were able to find a "bed" there every day we were there!!
5. Service -- generally speaking, the service is, indeed, spectacular. But the resort has no more then 100 people staying there at once (it is a tiny resort!). Thus, what do you expect, they practically have the same amount of people serving you, as there are staying there. 1 to 1 ratio. The fact that the resort is small lends itself to having good service.
1. Food -- it is hard to evaluate the food situation. What some people wrote is correct; yes, some food is total garbage, but other stuff is quite good, believe it or not. Coming from NYC, we know what good food is, and the grilled fish served every day was very delicious. Especially the snapper, and ceviche. In reality, it was a hit or miss, depending on day and time of day.
1. Beach -- the WORST BEACH EVER! We kid you not -- do not go to this resort if you are beach people (like us!) We are not fans of pools (the overall idea of a pool is kind of "meh"), but we were literally forced to be poolside the whole stay at Sunset. Not only is the beach dirty, but its also crowded with vendors, locals, and people from other resorts. I mean, come one folks, take some pride in your resorts and at least clean up the beach a bit. Total and utter disappointment. To be honest, if the beach was at least an "average" one, we would have rated this place a 4+. But, sorry, the beach was just a disaster. (Also, no life guard on duty, ever)
2. Check out -- we were very upset the last day there. Javier, the hotel manager, was not there to assist us (he greeted us initially on our first day, and checked us in). We were hoodwinked by the gentlemen checking us out, talking some nonsense about exchange rates (we both work in Finance, don't kid us, please!). Then they over charged us on services that had an agreed upon price. Javier had told us to approach him with any issues, if we ever had any, and he wasn't even there. It was shocking how a resort that prides itself on service, could be so malicious at check out.
It saddens us to give this resort a 3 star rating because we liked it, in reality, we really did. But the last day killed us, and the beach was upsetting (just looking at it hurt). I apologize for such a rating, but it is the rating it, inevitably, deserves.
Overall, the breakdown for recommendations go like this:
Pool lover: Yes, but be cautious.
Beach lover: Please god, no!
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest resorts in the Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa boasts an incredible location. It is only a 5-minute cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where a wide array of world-class restaurants, shops, and galleries are available for your pleasure. Plus, you won`t want to miss the on-going display of local art, and a nightly show of the famous Papantla Fliers.Comfort is also one of hotels strengths; apart from hotels privileged location within Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, the tranquility of hotels beach is palpable. Everything is flawlessly harmonized to insure that your dream vacation encounters the perfect scenario.100 suites all front ocean view with huge terraces.Amenities include a large fitness center and spa, activity Kids Club, two full-service restaurants Mexican and Italian a self-service deli, a lobby lounge, and the poolside Aqua Bar. Whether you plan to visit for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon, plan to make Sunset Plaza Beach Resort your destination ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, MexVax, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Venere, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.