“Great Family Vacation - A very special resort.” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Oakland, California
“Great Family Vacation - A very special resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a wonderful week at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa when we were there, June 15 -22, with our daughter, her husband and our two grand kids (ages 4 and 2). This was our second visit to the resort and if anything it was better as the resort has matured, the dining experience more refined and the staff more seasoned over the two plus years since it opened. Sunset Plaza offers an all-inclusive option for one's whole or partial stay.For those who want to prepare their own meals, the kitchen is fully equipped and the resort is a 10 minute walk to a very large supermarket.

We had a luxuriously appointed two bedroom three bathroom unit - with wonderful views of the ocean from each room with large balconies.. We are owners of the Vacation Club and chose the all-inclusive which all of us enjoyed. The best part was that there were no buffets and the quality of the food and service was excellent. Both of the the restaurants had good variety and options the menu changing often. The deli was good for snacks, especially if you are going out for the day and need a packed lunch. We enjoyed everything, and our grand kids were pleased with the food choices and quality. A suggestion we think will further improve the guests' experience here would be to have a BBQ night with cold salads and Mexican specialties (and let it be a buffet for one night a week - it would be a good change) in an informal setting with good music.

Our grandchildren enjoyed the kids club very much and Gloria, the instructor was very creative with the arts and crafts that she organized for the children. .

The pools, including the kids area were most pleasant with adequate seating around or near them, as were the three Jacuzzi's at the terrace level above the Mirador restaurant. The water in the pools was heated and it was nice and warm which has not been the case in many other Mexican resorts We appreciate the policy of not allowing guests to reserve lounge chairs in advance which is an issue in many other resorts. A suggestion here would be to have a few more large umbrellas for those who do not want to sit in the sun.

We were very pleased with the members of the staff we dealt with. They were friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. Mr.Javier Vergara, the resort manager, was a good listener, helpful, attentive, observant, kind and responsive. He sets a good example for the staff and a positive first impression for the guests. This comment also goes for our butler, Ivan who is also an asset to the resort. The bartending staff, Ulysees and Pablo were most accommodating and pleasant as were the servers, Eduardo and Beatriz. The restaurant staff (Jose, Miguel, Humberto, Martin, Cesar, Jorge and others), were very helpful and responsive to our needs and could not do enough for us.

Lastly, we wish to acknowledge the enthusiasm of the events team - who did a lot to make the activities special with cooking lessons, kayaking and pool games.

The resort is peaceful, very comfortable, located on the ocean front, close to the Malecon in central Puerto Vallarta, We are planning to return next year and often thereafter. It is the best experience we have had in a Puerto Vallarta resort. Shell Vacations Club (SVC) which we belong to has very good resorts but in our opinion Sunset Plaza may be one of the better ones associated with SVC.

We would recommend (very highly) this resort for those who want comfort, luxury, convenience, location together with very good service, excellent food at the restaurants, very friendly staff, and all that the west coast of Mexico has to offer - good views, excellent climate, friendly people, varied things to do, and a relaxed vacation.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor unit - if you can, as the views get better from the upper floors and you escape...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear LyndaBill,
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and our all-inclusive; our executive chef and their great team are always happy to please any request. It was our pleasure to have you here and would love to host you again on your next trip.

1,023 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Seward, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family & I enjoyed 5 days at this resort over the 4th of July. We got upgraded to the penthouse suites and they were roomy and beautiful! The whole property was very nice with people constantly working the grounds. Tropical storm Erick decided to show his face which made for a couple stormy nights and a rainy morning but fortunately the sun came out to stay. Our excursion to Rhythms of the Night got cancelled but at the recommendation of our awesome butler Hazael, we went to a wonderful Mexican restaurant that our whole family enjoyed. It was quite an unforgettable experience with the streets flooded by the storm! I would definitely recommend this property to anyone looking for a nice all-inclusive resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your comments after your experience in our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your recognition for our resort characteristics, room comfort, and for highlighting the strengths of our facilities to fully comply with our guest expectations. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm so glad I chose this hotel! I've never been in a better one in Mexico. The rooms were very clean, the service impeccable, and each room has a private balcony facing the ocean!
Whatever you do, get the all inclusive.
I'd highly recommend this hotel for those of you traveling to Puerto Vallarta! Plus, if you consume alcohol, it is all top brand, good quality liquor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and posting your nice review. I am so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Sunset Plaza Hotel guests have. Puerto Vallarta is a great and complete destination, so we will be very happy if you visited us once again.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Amazing! My family - hubby and ( girls 14 & 11) came at the end of June 2013. It was the week their rainy season started, and it included a tropical storm. That was really our only negative on the whole trip. We wanted to spend more time lounging around the pool but it was overcast and rainy most days, except for one. The service was superb! My daughter turned 11 on the trip and they made it so special. They called ahead to the restuarant(Bubba Gump - downtown) and told them it was her birthday and they had a dessert and sang to her. Then when we came back they had a dessert in our room and wrote happy birthday on the plate. She felt so special. All the butlers were so helpful in answering questions and having recommendations. ( we liked to go out everyday and see the town and experience new things) We did all- inclusive one day which we all really liked. We were surprised at the prices of food everywhere. Every dinner or lunch was at least $50-$70, so it made sense if we were staying all day to do all- inclusive. My girls loved ordering piñadas all day. The waiters at the pool always came around to see if we wanted anything. They enjoyed swimming at the pool because it wasn't crowded and loud like other hotel with kids everywhere. My only suggestion is to have some things for kids ages 10- 18. They have a great kiddie area but it's for smaller children. Then they have 3 huge hot tub areas but it's only for adults. And they have a whole separate pool and area just for adults. So, it would be awesome for a couple getaway. But, my girls still had a great time, we all did. The room was amazing. We had a kitchen and living room. It was very upscale, new and spacious, and the view was amazing! They not only cleaned it everyday and straightened up, but they had a turn down service at night and made their bed ( pull out couch) and left chocolates on their pillow. My girls were very spoiled! They loved it! It was such a nice family vacation and the hotel was a major reason for that. I would recommend Sunset Plaza to everyone, it is so worth the money and makes for a great vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lynn,
Thank you very much for your comments, we strive ourselves day by day to provide the best service and make your stay unforgettable. We hope to see you back again at Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have to start this review by saying that I'd never stayed in an all-inclusive resort, but I'm confident that most are not as nice as Sunset Plaza. I traveled with my wife and her family and we had a great time at a great resort. I'd recommend this resort to any one looking to get away in Mexico.

We stayed for four nights, over the 4th of July weekend. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.

The Staff: I can not speak highly enough of the staff at Sunset Plaza. They were exceptional. Our butler, Hazael, was incredibly helpful and a main reason our stay was so excellent. He developed a strong report with each of the people of our party - when it could have been easy for him to dismiss us as a blip in the mass of humanity that moves through his resort.

Even when he was not around the other butlers and staff in the lobby were courteous and always ready to help.

The wait staff was also excellent. They were always ready with a smile and a glass of Negra Medelo. They were always around when you "needed" them by the pool, but were not obnoxiously bothersome.

My Spanish is terrible and it was nice to know that the staff spoke fluent English. There never seemed to be a language barrier between us and the staff.

The Rooms: The rooms were excellent. We stayed on the top floor in a room with two double-beds and my in-laws stayed in a suite.

Each room faces out towards the ocean and a little bay. From each balcony one can see across the way the ridges of mountains jutting out into the pacific. There was a not a bad view to be had.

The rooms were kept clean and everything was in working order. The air conditioning was always nice to return to when one needed a break from the humidity.

The Pools: Like everything at Sunset Plaza the pools were in top shape. There are plenty of comfortable chairs to lounge in and umbrellas scattered around for one to relax in the shade.

The best part for me was the adult pool which was smaller than the main pool, but secluded (not so much that the wait staff forgot about you) and surrounded by cabanas. I spent most of my days in the cabanas reading, drinking, and taking a dip to cool off.

Oceans: The beach itself was nice, although I found the sand to be more rocky. I went down one day to dip in the Pacific, but other than that didn't spend much time there. With pools as nice as the ones they had - who needs the ocean?

Restaurants/Bars: The restaurants on the resort are also quite good, although I preferred the menu at the pool bar/restaurant to the slightly fancier Italian/Mediterranean. There were great things to eat at every meal, our favorites included: Smoked Marlin Quesadilla's, Fish 'n Chips, and plates of pineapple. Seriously, they have some of the best fruit I've ever tasted.

Atmosphere/Reflections: The atmosphere at the resort was one of leisure and relaxation. Most of the people there were families looking to spend some quiet time by the pool. There were some younger kids (college age) who were a bit rowdy one of the days, but the staff took measures to make sure it never got out of hand.

All in all, I had a great time at Sunset Plaza and would love to go back, as soon as my sunburn heals.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure to have you here as our guest and thank you very much for taking the time to post the comments of your vacation and about your experiences here at our hotel and Puerto Vallarta.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family of four (2 boys ages 3 years and 9 months) stayed at this resort from June 25 - July 3, 2013. We were on the all - inclusive plan, and had a wonderful time at this resort. There are many reviews singing the praises of this resort, and they are all true. I specifically want to comment on a couple of points that I was unclear about when I was researching this resort prior to my trip: 1. food quality, and 2. convenience for staying with young kids.

1. FOOD. This was my first time staying at an all inclusive resort (except for a Carnival cruise, which was HORRIBLE and I hated). After that Carnival experience, I was very wary of choosing an all inclusive, because I like good food. I think of myself as a mini-foodie: I love good food, trying new restaurants and cuisines. I wanted to try all the great restaurants PV has to offer, but practically, I have 2 young kids (plus a non-foodie husband) so getting out to new and exciting restaurants three times a day seems more exhausting than exciting at this point in my life. Let me tell you: the food at this resort is DELICIOUS. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all delicious. They have two main restaurants - the Mirador and Luciano's. Luciano's is the Italian restaurant, reservations required, open only for dinner. This wasn't bad...we went once with our kids, but the restaurant is trying to be a little fancier, so we were very conscious of not being a nuisance with our little monsters :). The food was OK, but nothing I miss or think about. The food at the main restaurant though was really good. There were 2 menus in rotation during our stay, and they had plenty of options to choose from. The staff were always willing to accomodate any special requests for my boys, making things not on the menu on a regular basis. On our first meal, the waiter and kitchen made up a "baby food / soup" for my little one without us even asking. SO THOUGHTFUL. The waiters and staff all work exceptionally hard to make sure all your needs are met

2. YOUNG KIDS: We had no problems with our children here. We got a great crib when we checked into our room. Every single person we met was super nice and sweet to us and to our children. I think this might be part of the culture though, because througout our trip, I didn't get a single dirty look or withering stare (like I do sometimes at home in the US!!). We had a regular room with 2 double beds. This was a bit tight, truth be told, but it was fine. We didn't want to waste money upgrading, and they weren't giving it away free. :) Everything was always clean. They have a cute little play area and kids club, which is a nice size, and right next to the restaurant. The kids pool is the perfect size, and we spent all our time there. The boys LOVED it. The beach is tiny, but I've heard PV isn't known for their beaches.

All in all, we had a wonderful time in PV, and Sunset Plaza was a HUGE contributor there. I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to families, couples, anyone really.

Dear Nazneen,
Thank you so much for all your good comments; we would like to thank you for sharing Sunset Plaza Hotel as your destination. Thanks for your opinion on our kinds facilities, service and food. In our restaurants we are worry to have a wide variety of gastronomic creations and innovative spirit to satisfy all guests needs ! Thank you once again !
Yukon, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Although all the reviews for this resort were exceptional, I still had my doubts about this place because of a few reasons:

1. My expectations tend to be over the top
2. The last resort I stayed at in Jamaica was AMAZING, so I didn't think this would beat it (Secrets St. James - Montego Bay)
3. I have a hard time believing other people

Let me tell you, this place is AS ADVERTISED. From the moment you step into this Resort it is truly magical. Javier, the Resort manager was at our car door when we stepped out, greeting us with a smile and a hand shake. We were brought into the resort and handed champagne. The check in was as smooth as could be. Not many questions or inquiries, just give your confirmation information and get your room key. But WAIT, Not until you get your complimentary massage! Seriously! A massage. And that wasn't the only complimentary massage through the stay. The views from each of the rooms are amazing and I must say the rooms are spectacular. They are clean and spacious. I am very obsessive compulsive with bathrooms especially and this met my OCD expectations. Very luxurious shower that you don't want to get out of. There were some doubts about the food based on what people wrote on trip advisor. The food was excellent. They had very good steak options for dinner, along with fish and chicken if you like that kind of stuff :). Their lunch options also provide a variety. We were by the pool most of the time for lunch so we just ordered off the pool menu. For me, this was Buffalo Wings and a Deli Sandwich. Great food. Breakfast was great as well. French Toast was great including all their omelet options. Each night, our waiter was Jorge. He did an excellent job. They do get busy at times and that should be understood. If you don't get your drink right away, theres no reason to get upset. Where are you going anyway? Enjoy it and take the scenery in. Order the steak medium-well, I mean, this is legit!

The swimming pools are always clean as well are the hot tubs that sit above the pools on a separate floor which I though was a nice touch. All of it overlooks the ocean and reveals a spectacular view only seen in beautiful paintings. One afternoon, Ruth gave an amazing massage to my wife and I. They offer mini cooking lessons and bartending lessons. Keeps you entertained.

The only real cons to the Sunset Plaza Resort is one that they cannot control. The resort next to it is somewhat loud during the afternoon, but that lasts only for a few hours. Let me emphasize, this party resort only is loud for a few hours. It does not get loud at night or in the morning. It starts about 12 PM and lasts until about 4 PM. I am not sure it was even every day. It might have just been the weekend we were there, but i have hard the same from other people as well. Aside from that, there were no cons.

Would I go back here again? There is no doubt! Sunset Plaza Beach -PV was above and beyond what I expected. By the way, why would you not get all-inclusive? I noted that there were quite a few who did not get the all inclusive. Its worth it. Dont worry about tabs and all that other stuff, go All-Inclusive in my opinion. Unless you plan on dining out a lot, but my wife and I didn't leave the resort. We got in our comfort zone and stayed there.

Once again, you can't go wrong with this place. We visited a few other resorts around the area. After walking through, we were running back to our haven. This place is worth the cash. Spend a little extra and choose Sunset Plaza Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sean,
It is great to hear your nice comments about our resort, I shared them with the staff involved.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you in a near future.

The management

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!