“Amazing Vacation Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
“Amazing Vacation Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have to start this review by saying that I'd never stayed in an all-inclusive resort, but I'm confident that most are not as nice as Sunset Plaza. I traveled with my wife and her family and we had a great time at a great resort. I'd recommend this resort to any one looking to get away in Mexico.

We stayed for four nights, over the 4th of July weekend. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.

The Staff: I can not speak highly enough of the staff at Sunset Plaza. They were exceptional. Our butler, Hazael, was incredibly helpful and a main reason our stay was so excellent. He developed a strong report with each of the people of our party - when it could have been easy for him to dismiss us as a blip in the mass of humanity that moves through his resort.

Even when he was not around the other butlers and staff in the lobby were courteous and always ready to help.

The wait staff was also excellent. They were always ready with a smile and a glass of Negra Medelo. They were always around when you "needed" them by the pool, but were not obnoxiously bothersome.

My Spanish is terrible and it was nice to know that the staff spoke fluent English. There never seemed to be a language barrier between us and the staff.

The Rooms: The rooms were excellent. We stayed on the top floor in a room with two double-beds and my in-laws stayed in a suite.

Each room faces out towards the ocean and a little bay. From each balcony one can see across the way the ridges of mountains jutting out into the pacific. There was a not a bad view to be had.

The rooms were kept clean and everything was in working order. The air conditioning was always nice to return to when one needed a break from the humidity.

The Pools: Like everything at Sunset Plaza the pools were in top shape. There are plenty of comfortable chairs to lounge in and umbrellas scattered around for one to relax in the shade.

The best part for me was the adult pool which was smaller than the main pool, but secluded (not so much that the wait staff forgot about you) and surrounded by cabanas. I spent most of my days in the cabanas reading, drinking, and taking a dip to cool off.

Oceans: The beach itself was nice, although I found the sand to be more rocky. I went down one day to dip in the Pacific, but other than that didn't spend much time there. With pools as nice as the ones they had - who needs the ocean?

Restaurants/Bars: The restaurants on the resort are also quite good, although I preferred the menu at the pool bar/restaurant to the slightly fancier Italian/Mediterranean. There were great things to eat at every meal, our favorites included: Smoked Marlin Quesadilla's, Fish 'n Chips, and plates of pineapple. Seriously, they have some of the best fruit I've ever tasted.

Atmosphere/Reflections: The atmosphere at the resort was one of leisure and relaxation. Most of the people there were families looking to spend some quiet time by the pool. There were some younger kids (college age) who were a bit rowdy one of the days, but the staff took measures to make sure it never got out of hand.

All in all, I had a great time at Sunset Plaza and would love to go back, as soon as my sunburn heals.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you here as our guest and thank you very much for taking the time to post the comments of your vacation and about your experiences here at our hotel and Puerto Vallarta.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

1,213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family of four (2 boys ages 3 years and 9 months) stayed at this resort from June 25 - July 3, 2013. We were on the all - inclusive plan, and had a wonderful time at this resort. There are many reviews singing the praises of this resort, and they are all true. I specifically want to comment on a couple of points that I was unclear about when I was researching this resort prior to my trip: 1. food quality, and 2. convenience for staying with young kids.

1. FOOD. This was my first time staying at an all inclusive resort (except for a Carnival cruise, which was HORRIBLE and I hated). After that Carnival experience, I was very wary of choosing an all inclusive, because I like good food. I think of myself as a mini-foodie: I love good food, trying new restaurants and cuisines. I wanted to try all the great restaurants PV has to offer, but practically, I have 2 young kids (plus a non-foodie husband) so getting out to new and exciting restaurants three times a day seems more exhausting than exciting at this point in my life. Let me tell you: the food at this resort is DELICIOUS. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all delicious. They have two main restaurants - the Mirador and Luciano's. Luciano's is the Italian restaurant, reservations required, open only for dinner. This wasn't bad...we went once with our kids, but the restaurant is trying to be a little fancier, so we were very conscious of not being a nuisance with our little monsters :). The food was OK, but nothing I miss or think about. The food at the main restaurant though was really good. There were 2 menus in rotation during our stay, and they had plenty of options to choose from. The staff were always willing to accomodate any special requests for my boys, making things not on the menu on a regular basis. On our first meal, the waiter and kitchen made up a "baby food / soup" for my little one without us even asking. SO THOUGHTFUL. The waiters and staff all work exceptionally hard to make sure all your needs are met

2. YOUNG KIDS: We had no problems with our children here. We got a great crib when we checked into our room. Every single person we met was super nice and sweet to us and to our children. I think this might be part of the culture though, because througout our trip, I didn't get a single dirty look or withering stare (like I do sometimes at home in the US!!). We had a regular room with 2 double beds. This was a bit tight, truth be told, but it was fine. We didn't want to waste money upgrading, and they weren't giving it away free. :) Everything was always clean. They have a cute little play area and kids club, which is a nice size, and right next to the restaurant. The kids pool is the perfect size, and we spent all our time there. The boys LOVED it. The beach is tiny, but I've heard PV isn't known for their beaches.

All in all, we had a wonderful time in PV, and Sunset Plaza was a HUGE contributor there. I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to families, couples, anyone really.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nazneen,
Thank you so much for all your good comments; we would like to thank you for sharing Sunset Plaza Hotel as your destination. Thanks for your opinion on our kinds facilities, service and food. In our restaurants we are worry to have a wide variety of gastronomic creations and innovative spirit to satisfy all guests needs ! Thank you once again !
Yukon, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Although all the reviews for this resort were exceptional, I still had my doubts about this place because of a few reasons:

1. My expectations tend to be over the top
2. The last resort I stayed at in Jamaica was AMAZING, so I didn't think this would beat it (Secrets St. James - Montego Bay)
3. I have a hard time believing other people

Let me tell you, this place is AS ADVERTISED. From the moment you step into this Resort it is truly magical. Javier, the Resort manager was at our car door when we stepped out, greeting us with a smile and a hand shake. We were brought into the resort and handed champagne. The check in was as smooth as could be. Not many questions or inquiries, just give your confirmation information and get your room key. But WAIT, Not until you get your complimentary massage! Seriously! A massage. And that wasn't the only complimentary massage through the stay. The views from each of the rooms are amazing and I must say the rooms are spectacular. They are clean and spacious. I am very obsessive compulsive with bathrooms especially and this met my OCD expectations. Very luxurious shower that you don't want to get out of. There were some doubts about the food based on what people wrote on trip advisor. The food was excellent. They had very good steak options for dinner, along with fish and chicken if you like that kind of stuff :). Their lunch options also provide a variety. We were by the pool most of the time for lunch so we just ordered off the pool menu. For me, this was Buffalo Wings and a Deli Sandwich. Great food. Breakfast was great as well. French Toast was great including all their omelet options. Each night, our waiter was Jorge. He did an excellent job. They do get busy at times and that should be understood. If you don't get your drink right away, theres no reason to get upset. Where are you going anyway? Enjoy it and take the scenery in. Order the steak medium-well, I mean, this is legit!

The swimming pools are always clean as well are the hot tubs that sit above the pools on a separate floor which I though was a nice touch. All of it overlooks the ocean and reveals a spectacular view only seen in beautiful paintings. One afternoon, Ruth gave an amazing massage to my wife and I. They offer mini cooking lessons and bartending lessons. Keeps you entertained.

The only real cons to the Sunset Plaza Resort is one that they cannot control. The resort next to it is somewhat loud during the afternoon, but that lasts only for a few hours. Let me emphasize, this party resort only is loud for a few hours. It does not get loud at night or in the morning. It starts about 12 PM and lasts until about 4 PM. I am not sure it was even every day. It might have just been the weekend we were there, but i have hard the same from other people as well. Aside from that, there were no cons.

Would I go back here again? There is no doubt! Sunset Plaza Beach -PV was above and beyond what I expected. By the way, why would you not get all-inclusive? I noted that there were quite a few who did not get the all inclusive. Its worth it. Dont worry about tabs and all that other stuff, go All-Inclusive in my opinion. Unless you plan on dining out a lot, but my wife and I didn't leave the resort. We got in our comfort zone and stayed there.

Once again, you can't go wrong with this place. We visited a few other resorts around the area. After walking through, we were running back to our haven. This place is worth the cash. Spend a little extra and choose Sunset Plaza Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sean,
It is great to hear your nice comments about our resort, I shared them with the staff involved.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you in a near future.

Carbondale, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 boys 12 & 14) stayed at Sunset Plaza June 9-12. It was great. The suites are huge, clean and modern. Wonderful view of the ocean on the 7th floor. We left our patio doors open at night and slept to the waves. I never heard any air conditioners from nearby hotels and I can't imagine the view would be any less spectacular from floors 3 and up. It was not crowded and we loved the smallish size of the resort. Everything was close enough that the boys could run up to the room and swim in any pool without us having to escort them. We are picky authentic Mexican food lovers, and the food was great! We loved being able to hang out on the pool patio overlooking the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hola Mary,

Thank you for your comments, we are very proud to fulfill your expectations.
We hope to see you soon =o)

Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a beautiful resort. My boyfriend and I booked this hotel because of the wonderful reviews but we could have never expected the service we received! All of the staff members were accommodating and very helpful. We stayed in a suite overlooking the ocean and the three hot tubs with a jacuzzi in the room. The food was GREAT. No buffet style which was good too. We booked two trips while we were there (zip lining and rhythms of the night) through the hotel and that was great too. No complaints :)

Room Tip: All rooms seemed in a great location.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Kramer,
Tahnk you for your nice comments, we are very pround to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We loved our stay here! The hotel and grounds were beautiful. The rooms were spacious, well-kept, and very clean. All rooms have a balcony and an ocean view. Service by the hotel staff was exceptional--they were very friendly. They did a great job of making us feel as if we were the only people in the hotel and that they were just waiting to take care of us. As a resort, it was relatively small. We had planned to spend much of our time but found there was so much to do outside of the resort in Puerto Vallarta that we didn't want to be on the resort property too much. The location was very good--just a short, cheap taxi ride to the downtown area. We purchased an all-inclusive package, which wasn't a terribly expensive option, but we found we didn't use it for much other than pool-side drinks, breakfast, and a few lunches. There were too many other good restaurants in PV to stay on the resort for all meals. We traveled without kids, but there was a really nice looking kids' play area with its own little pool.

The only drawback to the resort was the LOUD resort next door--if we had wanted to take an afternoon nap with the patio doors open, it would have been rather distracting. The party next door quieted down around 7 or 8 at night, but it was a wild during the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,
On behalf of all the staff of Sunset Plaza Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family spent wonderful five days at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa. Rooms are outstanding with nice decor and very well kept. The property has three swimming pools right on the beach at Puerto Vallarta. Javier Vergara, the property manager, is in the lobby all the time making sure everything works well. The list of great employees is long, but we need to name David, who checked us in, for all the great advice. The staff around the pools is always friendly and helpful. We used the three hot tubs and loved being there. Since we are explorers, we did not stay at the resort for meals, but the friends that we made at the resort strongly vowed for the quality of the food at both of the restaurants. If you are also explorers, rent a car and go to Sayulita (nice surfing) and La Manzanilla (absolute still water): we loved them. We look forward to returning to Puerto Vallarta and we would certainly stay at the Sunset Plaza again. The only negative for us are the wristbands. I would recommend finding an alternative way to identify guests.

Room Tip: Here is a list of restaurants that we consider a must: 8 Tostadas and La Langosta Feliz have delicio...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Coronel Aureliano,
The management

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!