I have to start this review by saying that I'd never stayed in an all-inclusive resort, but I'm confident that most are not as nice as Sunset Plaza. I traveled with my wife and her family and we had a great time at a great resort. I'd recommend this resort to any one looking to get away in Mexico.
We stayed for four nights, over the 4th of July weekend. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.
The Staff: I can not speak highly enough of the staff at Sunset Plaza. They were exceptional. Our butler, Hazael, was incredibly helpful and a main reason our stay was so excellent. He developed a strong report with each of the people of our party - when it could have been easy for him to dismiss us as a blip in the mass of humanity that moves through his resort.
Even when he was not around the other butlers and staff in the lobby were courteous and always ready to help.
The wait staff was also excellent. They were always ready with a smile and a glass of Negra Medelo. They were always around when you "needed" them by the pool, but were not obnoxiously bothersome.
My Spanish is terrible and it was nice to know that the staff spoke fluent English. There never seemed to be a language barrier between us and the staff.
The Rooms: The rooms were excellent. We stayed on the top floor in a room with two double-beds and my in-laws stayed in a suite.
Each room faces out towards the ocean and a little bay. From each balcony one can see across the way the ridges of mountains jutting out into the pacific. There was a not a bad view to be had.
The rooms were kept clean and everything was in working order. The air conditioning was always nice to return to when one needed a break from the humidity.
The Pools: Like everything at Sunset Plaza the pools were in top shape. There are plenty of comfortable chairs to lounge in and umbrellas scattered around for one to relax in the shade.
The best part for me was the adult pool which was smaller than the main pool, but secluded (not so much that the wait staff forgot about you) and surrounded by cabanas. I spent most of my days in the cabanas reading, drinking, and taking a dip to cool off.
Oceans: The beach itself was nice, although I found the sand to be more rocky. I went down one day to dip in the Pacific, but other than that didn't spend much time there. With pools as nice as the ones they had - who needs the ocean?
Restaurants/Bars: The restaurants on the resort are also quite good, although I preferred the menu at the pool bar/restaurant to the slightly fancier Italian/Mediterranean. There were great things to eat at every meal, our favorites included: Smoked Marlin Quesadilla's, Fish 'n Chips, and plates of pineapple. Seriously, they have some of the best fruit I've ever tasted.
Atmosphere/Reflections: The atmosphere at the resort was one of leisure and relaxation. Most of the people there were families looking to spend some quiet time by the pool. There were some younger kids (college age) who were a bit rowdy one of the days, but the staff took measures to make sure it never got out of hand.
All in all, I had a great time at Sunset Plaza and would love to go back, as soon as my sunburn heals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest resorts in the Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa boasts an incredible location. It is only a 5-minute cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where a wide array of world-class restaurants, shops, and galleries are available for your pleasure. Plus, you won`t want to miss the on-going display of local art, and a nightly show of the famous Papantla Fliers.Comfort is also one of hotels strengths; apart from hotels privileged location within Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, the tranquility of hotels beach is palpable. Everything is flawlessly harmonized to insure that your dream vacation encounters the perfect scenario.100 suites all front ocean view with huge terraces.Amenities include a large fitness center and spa, activity Kids Club, two full-service restaurants Mexican and Italian a self-service deli, a lobby lounge, and the poolside Aqua Bar. Whether you plan to visit for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon, plan to make Sunset Plaza Beach Resort your destination ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta