“An Anniversary to Remember” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Yukon, OK
“An Anniversary to Remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Although all the reviews for this resort were exceptional, I still had my doubts about this place because of a few reasons:

1. My expectations tend to be over the top
2. The last resort I stayed at in Jamaica was AMAZING, so I didn't think this would beat it (Secrets St. James - Montego Bay)
3. I have a hard time believing other people

Let me tell you, this place is AS ADVERTISED. From the moment you step into this Resort it is truly magical. Javier, the Resort manager was at our car door when we stepped out, greeting us with a smile and a hand shake. We were brought into the resort and handed champagne. The check in was as smooth as could be. Not many questions or inquiries, just give your confirmation information and get your room key. But WAIT, Not until you get your complimentary massage! Seriously! A massage. And that wasn't the only complimentary massage through the stay. The views from each of the rooms are amazing and I must say the rooms are spectacular. They are clean and spacious. I am very obsessive compulsive with bathrooms especially and this met my OCD expectations. Very luxurious shower that you don't want to get out of. There were some doubts about the food based on what people wrote on trip advisor. The food was excellent. They had very good steak options for dinner, along with fish and chicken if you like that kind of stuff :). Their lunch options also provide a variety. We were by the pool most of the time for lunch so we just ordered off the pool menu. For me, this was Buffalo Wings and a Deli Sandwich. Great food. Breakfast was great as well. French Toast was great including all their omelet options. Each night, our waiter was Jorge. He did an excellent job. They do get busy at times and that should be understood. If you don't get your drink right away, theres no reason to get upset. Where are you going anyway? Enjoy it and take the scenery in. Order the steak medium-well, I mean, this is legit!

The swimming pools are always clean as well are the hot tubs that sit above the pools on a separate floor which I though was a nice touch. All of it overlooks the ocean and reveals a spectacular view only seen in beautiful paintings. One afternoon, Ruth gave an amazing massage to my wife and I. They offer mini cooking lessons and bartending lessons. Keeps you entertained.

The only real cons to the Sunset Plaza Resort is one that they cannot control. The resort next to it is somewhat loud during the afternoon, but that lasts only for a few hours. Let me emphasize, this party resort only is loud for a few hours. It does not get loud at night or in the morning. It starts about 12 PM and lasts until about 4 PM. I am not sure it was even every day. It might have just been the weekend we were there, but i have hard the same from other people as well. Aside from that, there were no cons.

Would I go back here again? There is no doubt! Sunset Plaza Beach -PV was above and beyond what I expected. By the way, why would you not get all-inclusive? I noted that there were quite a few who did not get the all inclusive. Its worth it. Dont worry about tabs and all that other stuff, go All-Inclusive in my opinion. Unless you plan on dining out a lot, but my wife and I didn't leave the resort. We got in our comfort zone and stayed there.

Once again, you can't go wrong with this place. We visited a few other resorts around the area. After walking through, we were running back to our haven. This place is worth the cash. Spend a little extra and choose Sunset Plaza Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Sean,
It is great to hear your nice comments about our resort, I shared them with the staff involved.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you in a near future.

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Carbondale, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 boys 12 & 14) stayed at Sunset Plaza June 9-12. It was great. The suites are huge, clean and modern. Wonderful view of the ocean on the 7th floor. We left our patio doors open at night and slept to the waves. I never heard any air conditioners from nearby hotels and I can't imagine the view would be any less spectacular from floors 3 and up. It was not crowded and we loved the smallish size of the resort. Everything was close enough that the boys could run up to the room and swim in any pool without us having to escort them. We are picky authentic Mexican food lovers, and the food was great! We loved being able to hang out on the pool patio overlooking the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hola Mary,

Thank you for your comments, we are very proud to fulfill your expectations.
We hope to see you soon =o)

Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a beautiful resort. My boyfriend and I booked this hotel because of the wonderful reviews but we could have never expected the service we received! All of the staff members were accommodating and very helpful. We stayed in a suite overlooking the ocean and the three hot tubs with a jacuzzi in the room. The food was GREAT. No buffet style which was good too. We booked two trips while we were there (zip lining and rhythms of the night) through the hotel and that was great too. No complaints :)

Room Tip: All rooms seemed in a great location.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Kramer,
Tahnk you for your nice comments, we are very pround to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We loved our stay here! The hotel and grounds were beautiful. The rooms were spacious, well-kept, and very clean. All rooms have a balcony and an ocean view. Service by the hotel staff was exceptional--they were very friendly. They did a great job of making us feel as if we were the only people in the hotel and that they were just waiting to take care of us. As a resort, it was relatively small. We had planned to spend much of our time but found there was so much to do outside of the resort in Puerto Vallarta that we didn't want to be on the resort property too much. The location was very good--just a short, cheap taxi ride to the downtown area. We purchased an all-inclusive package, which wasn't a terribly expensive option, but we found we didn't use it for much other than pool-side drinks, breakfast, and a few lunches. There were too many other good restaurants in PV to stay on the resort for all meals. We traveled without kids, but there was a really nice looking kids' play area with its own little pool.

The only drawback to the resort was the LOUD resort next door--if we had wanted to take an afternoon nap with the patio doors open, it would have been rather distracting. The party next door quieted down around 7 or 8 at night, but it was a wild during the day.

Dear Friends,
On behalf of all the staff of Sunset Plaza Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family spent wonderful five days at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa. Rooms are outstanding with nice decor and very well kept. The property has three swimming pools right on the beach at Puerto Vallarta. Javier Vergara, the property manager, is in the lobby all the time making sure everything works well. The list of great employees is long, but we need to name David, who checked us in, for all the great advice. The staff around the pools is always friendly and helpful. We used the three hot tubs and loved being there. Since we are explorers, we did not stay at the resort for meals, but the friends that we made at the resort strongly vowed for the quality of the food at both of the restaurants. If you are also explorers, rent a car and go to Sayulita (nice surfing) and La Manzanilla (absolute still water): we loved them. We look forward to returning to Puerto Vallarta and we would certainly stay at the Sunset Plaza again. The only negative for us are the wristbands. I would recommend finding an alternative way to identify guests.

Room Tip: Here is a list of restaurants that we consider a must: 8 Tostadas and La Langosta Feliz have delicio...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Coronel Aureliano,
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Sunset Plaza is, without a doubt, the most beautiful property my husband and I have ever stayed at! ALL the staff are wonderful and friendly, in a way that seems genuine and not in a "placate the tourist" way. Javier and his amazing butler staff were so helpful throughout our stay - Juan, Roberto, Diego...everyone was great (if you like local eateries rather than touristy restaurants, ask Juan were to get some killer tacos!) Sunset Plaza made us feel very comfortable, and valued as guests. My husband and I traveled without kids this time, but we noted the really cool looking kids club house, complete with a little star shaped wading pool for the little ones. There appeared to be lots of cool things for kids to do. Sunset Plaza does offer an adults only pool, which is surrounded by a nice, thick bamboo hedge so it was easy to move away from kids if we needed to. There are three hot tubs all with great views, and also adults only. I witnessed this being gently enforced by a staff member, and I truly appreciate that "adult only" areas are actually adult only. Since we traveled in the rainy season, it did rain nearly daily. The rain brought nice cool breezes and fantastic thunder and lightning, but only lasted a few hours each day. Don't let the rain run your vacation - get out there! Hot tub in the rain - awesome. Watching it all from an amazing balcony - awesome. The room itself was absolutely gorgeous, and the housekeeping services are top notch. My husband and I will definitely return here! Oh, I forgot to mention the FOOD - if you eat at the resort restaurants, they are both delicious!! The only negative - wristbands are used to identify guests who have AI and those who don't. While I understand the reason for the wristbands, I did not like being in town with them, and having aggressive tour-sales folks look at my wrist and know where to find me, so my husband and I cut our wristbands off for our last few days of exploring Vallarta on our own. We even had one guy in town look at our wrists and say "where are your wristbands?" When we told him we took them off, he said "smart". It would be good to give guests the option to have the band removed for off-property activities. Obviously, many of us will "look" like tourists no matter what, but some of us really do want to blend a little and experience the towns we visit. And will we be visiting Vallarta again? Oh, most definitely yes! Beautiful and magical!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room! Breath taking!
Dear Ali,
I shared your good comments with the staff involved.
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had such a great time at the Sunset Plaza. A new (or at least newly remodeled) hotel right on the beach and close to downtown and the Marina for quick access to activities.

This part of the cost, most people seem to spend a majority of the time time by the pool instead of the beach. The beach is just okay.. clean enough, but pretty short. And there really isn't anything to bother snorkeling to see. Although you can walk in the water and be fine, not to worry about rocks or coral - or anything in there really. We didn't bother scuba diving here. If we are planning for scuba and snorkeling, we'll stick to Cozumel where it can't be beat. But his was a great on top of the water place to vacation!

This side of the coast is near mountains - so ziplinging was excellent through the outside company, Vallarta Adventures.

Try to avoid the time-share people trying to sign you up for a sales pitch. It just wastes your time that could better be spent at at the pool. They'll be hitting you up right when you get to the airport. They make you think your hotel has a shuttle and get you talking to someone, a couple shots of tequila and you're signing away your first half a day in paradise. Just say no thank you and keep walking out until you get in a taxi - which are fine and legitimate. The yellow and white ones.

The Plaza was very comfortable, clean, modern, great staff, and very tasty food. I have a gluten allergy, and was fine the whole trip just by making mostly smart decisions. The Italian restaurant was accommodating in making option gluten free - yay for getting to enjoy food and drink all week with no episodes!! There is basically the outdoor Mexican restaurant which is excellent, the indoor Italian restaurant which has good food but the decor is a little bit of chaos, an inside bar, and a deli which we never tried. We never needed reservations. No buffets :)

Thanks again PV - we hope to be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hola,
The management

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!