Our family of 5 (couple in 40's, son age 15 and grandparents in 60's) recently returned from our stay at Sunset Plaza. This was our 7th trip to PV. We have previously stayed at Secrets, Villa Premiere (2x), Dreams, Melia and Golden Crown Paradise. Sunset Plaza is hands-down the best of all of these resorts!
We checked in around 1pm, we had booked 2 suites, all-inclusive. We were greeted with cold towels and mimosas. When we were checking in we asked for rooms on the same floor. We were accomodated and were given rooms 812 & 814. The check-in was swift and staff were knowlegable. We were shown to our rooms by Ivan. He went over every aspect of the room and our luggage arrived while he was still explaining everything.
The rooms are gorgeous! They are absolutely immaculate, not a speck of dust, no tears in furniture, etc. The balcony was huge! The pictures on the website don't do it justice!
Housekeeping did turndown around 8pm each night and cleaned around 11am each morning.
Some of the best lunch dishes were the shrimp campachena (it was so good I had it every day), steak sandwich, mediterranean salad with grilled chicken (on the poolside menu). If you want something not on the menu then ask and they will do whatever they can to accomodate! Drinks were good, loved the mojitos and margaritas. If you want extra alcohol then ask for a double. The only beer available is Modelo and Negro Modelo on tap. The service in the restaurants and bars was always excellent. The best server during our stay was Jose'. We cannot say enough good things about him. He did everything possible to make our meals memorable.
We tipped throughout our stay for all meals, occasionally for cocktails, housekeeping, butler, valets, etc. I hate to say it but I really didn't see very many other people tipping even though the Mexican people make such poor wages.
The pools are very clean and we never had a problem finding 5 seats together. The cabanas in the adult pool are very nice, poolwater was just the right temperature. Poolside service was always prompt. Towels are well-stocked and there is no need for "towel cards".
We ordered room service 4 times. It always arrived within 15 min. Only one time it was missing an order of bacon and the server promptly brought it back up to our room.
We really enjoyed dinner at the Italian restaurant. The spaghetti bolognese, bruschetta with olive tempenade and minestrone soup were excellent. My 15-yr old son had cheese pizza and said it was the best pizza he's ever had (the pizza was much better in the Italian restaurant than from room service or poolside). You must try the Mexican coffee, it's a neat show and tip your servers!!
Some of our favorite breakfast foods were the steak/egg burrito, omelettes and french toast. The OJ was fresh-squeezed. The shortrib tacos and quesadillas were our favorite dinner choices.
I had a Hawaiian massage on the pier on the ocean and it was one of the best massages I've ever had! The prices weren't out of line at all, about what I pay here in the U.S. They had a special pkg, free 25 min facial with the purchase of an 80 min massage. It was outstanding! Ask for Elda, she does an excellent job!
This is a quiet resort/spa. If you want someplace livelier then don't stay at a spa resort.
Overall we had a fantastic stay. There are just a few things that would make it even better.
-The hotel next door is very loud until about 10pm, so if you go to bed early it may affect your sleep quality until it quiets down
-They only give you 2 pkts of coffee in your room and don't replinish it. It would be nice to have 1 pkt a day.
-Randy in the lobby bar is awesome! He's always smiling and makes a good drink. However, the music in the lobby bar is very loud. It's club/tech music so you have to sit outside if you want to visit. It's not a dance club so this doesn't make much sense.
-There needs to be a small giftshop for items such as lipbalm, gum, magazines, etc.
-It would be nice to have some bottled beer in the lobby bar
We will most definitely stay at this resort again. In Dec we stayed at Secrets, the rooms there are nice but the Secrets/Dreams resorts food is about a D+ overall and service is a C-. We love the Villa Premiere but the rooms need a major makeover. Melia has a lot of locals and the Golden Crown is poorly maintained and dirty with a very low-class crowd (but good food).
We travel extensively from Mexico to the Caribbean to Hawaii to Central American. Sunset Plaza stands out as one of our favorite resorts!
Cudos to the staff for making this such an enjoyable place to vacation! We will be back soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest resorts in the Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa boasts an incredible location. It is only a 5-minute cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where a wide array of world-class restaurants, shops, and galleries are available for your pleasure. Plus, you won`t want to miss the on-going display of local art, and a nightly show of the famous Papantla Fliers.Comfort is also one of hotels strengths; apart from hotels privileged location within Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, the tranquility of hotels beach is palpable. Everything is flawlessly harmonized to insure that your dream vacation encounters the perfect scenario.100 suites all front ocean view with huge terraces.Amenities include a large fitness center and spa, activity Kids Club, two full-service restaurants Mexican and Italian a self-service deli, a lobby lounge, and the poolside Aqua Bar. Whether you plan to visit for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon, plan to make Sunset Plaza Beach Resort your destination ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Travelocity, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta