“Best Room I've ever stayed in !” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Room I've ever stayed in !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Everything at this hotel is top knotch. Researched resorts for weeks and ultimately found this gem. They dont nickle and dime you on your room experience like some of the other ones we considered. All suites are ocean view and awesome. The girlfriend and I booked a 5 night all inclusive king 1 bedroom on the 7th floor. The view and balcony was great. We are in our late 20's so we didn't have to hear the timeshare pitch, they apparently only hit you with this if you are over 33. Ulysses the pool bartender was great, and Juan the activity guy pretty awesome.

Not really complaints considering how awesome this trip was, more of advice:
-don't exchange your money at the airport. I did $100 to take care of the cab, and you end up getting screwed out of $20. The hotel or town is you best bet and the cab stands from the airport take us or Canadian currency.
-we arrived at 3:30pm and weren't offered champagne or towels like other guests have said. They were more concerned about needing our confirmation number, which was packed away in our bags they took when we arrived. We took 3 flights to arrive at PVR, and couldn't really relax until we got to the room. Our butler was cool , but was showing us how to turn on lights and use the tv remote, turtorials we didn't need after the long trip to get there. We tipped him well to leave and didn't hear much from him after our first day.
-we were given 1200.00 pesos in resort credits to use at the resort as part of our package. Problem was they couldn't be applied to anything we did. All 1200 pesos went in the trash.
-we did a couples massage on the beach. Great experience but not an awesome spa. No showers or hot tubes. Make sure to shower after the massage, we made the mistake of going in the pool right after. Massage oil and sun don't get along.
-they block out food service from 11:30-12, if you plan on grabbing a bite to eat before you head to the airport, eat before 11. We tried grabbing some sandwiches, right at the 12 checkout our names were on the blacklist. Ended up eating at the airport, which sucked.

All and all the entire experience was still awesome. Take advantage of your balcony, we had breakfast setup almost every morning overlooking the ocean. Salmon bagels are the best. Great way to start your day and well worth the 10% service charge and tip. Also try and grab a day bed at the adult pool for a day.

We will definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

As soon as you pull up to the security gate and they know who you are, you pass through to the main lobby and the general manager comes out to greet you at you taxi. They hand each of you a glass of champagne and take you to your room. Great ocean view! Nice resort, friendly staff and get the all-inclusive.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

First of all, this hotel is the prettiest one along Hotel Row. It's a modern aesthetic delight that stands out from the rest - an absolutely exquisite boutique hotel.

Another thing that was extraordinary was the lobby. I've been to a LOT of hotels around the world but for the first time, I could literally say that I had a comfortable check-in experience. Why? Because there are sofa chairs that you sit in while you are checked in by a very friendly person (Angel). As a matter of fact, the entire lobby is what you want to see after your flight and taxi ride - it's what I would describe as a comfortable yet high-class lounge. So, instead of standing in a long line in a cold lobby, the atmosphere is very warm and welcoming. When we arrived, there was no one in front of us but if there was, I would have been just as happy sitting in a soft sofa chair enjoying the view while awaiting my turn to check-in.

Also, during check-in, a friendly staff member brought us a cool glass of orange juice (or mimosa if that's your choice) and a fresh hand-towel for face and hands. Wow - Another first for me! Oh and while I'm continuing with the "firsts", when you get to your room, they ask you what aroma you want your room and your sheets to be sprayed with! So after your long day of exploring, shopping, or zip lining, you open your hotel room door and are greeted with a delightful scent that welcomes you home and makes your nose dance.

Now, let me address the friendly staff. I've already mentioned how friendly Angel was at check-in. Let me also say that he was extremely helpful because when we got to our room it was on the 3rd floor and I asked if we could get a higher floor. He checked and said that there would be higher-floor rooms the following night. True to his word, we received a 7th floor room for the remainder of our stay.

Guadalupe - Oh my goodness! She makes the BEST Mexican Pepito in the Deli!! We spent the first few days out exploring the city and thus eating out. But by the last 2 days we wanted to enjoy the hotel and not go anywhere so we found the Deli. She made me such a delicious sandwich that I had to go back and get another one later on that same evening. And you know how you think to yourself that the 2nd one won't taste as good as the first one? Well, no such case here. The second one was just as mouth-watering as the first. The carne was so tender and juicy! (I want one now but I'm back home in California already). Thank you Guadalupe!!!

Finally, I liked how the hotel was only 10 minutes from the airport. We (my 13yo son and I) caught a taxi from the airport to the hotel, but actually took the local city bus (13 pesos = $1.50) back to the airport for our departure flight. The airport was literally right off the main street, the same street that the hotel is on. So, returning to the airport, we walked out of the hotel, down to the street, caught the bus and 10 minutes later we got off, crossed over the bridge and were inside the airport. Just that easy- and I loved it! Saved the 80 pesos that the taxi would have cost because it's like twice as much to go from the airport to your hotel as it is to go from the hotel to the airport -(thnx for that little piece of info Raul).

So, without a doubt, you will definitely enjoy calling this wonderful little hotel 'home' while staying in Puerto Vallarta. We certainly did!!!

Kelli & Tj
(Perris, CA)

Room Tip: If you are inside the lobby looking at the water (to get a sense of the direction I'm referring...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Creston, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I went to this resort between March 23rd and April 6th with my 11 year old son. What a blast we had and let say it right away, we would go there anytime. This place is just awesome. Not too big, next to the beach, ocean front view and close to the boardwalk where there is so much to do. Rooms = immaculate / Service = They come to you to offer you something: food and drinks by the pool / Food = To die for... you eat next to the chefs, so that tells you everything.
Good quality of wines and breakfasts were my favorite. If you are in a hurry to eat, just plan 15-20 mins ahead. Hot tubs are really hot in the afternoon. Activities could be better but we went out a lot me and the kid. Try the boadrwalk, the pirate ship cruise, the rythm of the night cruise, banana boat ride, parasailing, dunebuggy ride, ziplining and our favorite, Las Caletas. Bottom line, if you need anything, just ask for it and they will get it...

Room Tip: Do not miss the Friday night show... MUST SEE !!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I just got back from the Sunset Plaza (April 15th -22nd) and had a great time.
I spent weeks prior to our trip reading reviews , hoping we had chosen the right resort to celebrate our ten year anniversary . We weren't disappointed!

When you arrive in PV pass by the Welcome To PV desks, and all the people trying to sell you time shares or excursions. To save on taxi fare, we turned left out of the airport, walked over the bridge and got a taxi on the other side of the street. We paid roughly $9us instead of the $40 they wanted at the airport. If you really want to save money you can take the bus .

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were warmly greeted by staff members. During check in, we were offered cold cloths and champagne. A nice touch. Our bags were brought to our rooms for us , and our butler took the time to answer all our questions.

We opted for the all inclusive and the basic one room without a kitchen suite. We didnt want to cook, so the suite wasnt necessary .The room was gorgeous. Modern. Comfortable. The balcony was huge and the view was breathtaking . We stayed in room 817 on the eighth floor. The room was cleaned everyday, and the turn down service was so nice. I really enjoyed the lemon scents. We never lacked in towels or toiletries . The fridge was restocked everyday , as was bottled water in the bathroom. I believe that the room attendants went above and beyond in taking care of us.

A few nights the neighboring resort was very loud. But from reading past reviews we expected this, and simply shut our patio door if it was bothersome. They were usually quiet by 10:30 .

The food was good. I agree with other reviewers that the menu was limited but I loved that it wasn't buffet style, and made to order. The service was great. The waiters paid attention to detail. They were attentive and happy to get us whatever we needed, and often were a step ahead of us.

The resort itself is breathtaking . Seriously gorgeous. The layout is beautiful and so is the landscaping. Workers from the Hotel were constantly cleaning. It was truly beautiful and peaceful. We were able to watch whales playing while relaxing in the hot tubs a couple of times. It was amazing!

We spent most of our time at the adults only pool. We never had much of a problem getting a Bali bed to relax on, but if one wasn't available we were able to find shade around the main pool. Pool side service was excellent. It was so fun to have drinks and food brought to us. We never had to wait long. Chips and Salsa were our favorite .

The beach in front of the sort is very small and rocky, but we didnt care because we just wanted to walk on the shore. There are vendors on the beach wanting to sell their items, but if you weren't interested they always left us alone.

It's true that there weren't many activities available, but we were just looking for a place to relax, read, sleep, and eat. It was perfect for us.

Tipping. This was the only thing I found awkward. We went to PV with a limited budget so sometimes we tipped and other times we didn't. We tipped what we could afford, mostly at meals and pool side service. The service was excellent regardless if we did or didn't tip. I don't believe that they were always expecting a tip but were happy when we did. I did notice that the tips were shared among the servers, bartenders, and cooks.

I'm really thankful for such a great trip. It was truly a positive experience and I can't wait to go back one day soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

This was an awesome vacation not knowing what to expect we pulled up in front of the Resort only to be welcomed by two Butler's, As one greeted us and lead us into the resort the other grabbed our bags. We were offered sparkling drinks, And a cozy chair for checking in, We met our butler Hazael who welcomed us and give us a quick breakdown of the Restaurants the pools the the beach , As this was our first visit to Mexico we told him and he let us know how to deal with the vendors on the beach and how to get around downtown and how much to pay for cabs and such, We really appreciated everything he did for us. When we got up to our room and got settled I went to the bath and wash my hands and I leaned on the sink and it broke, Before I knew it they had us in the new room with no issues no charge go complaining nothing they just put us into a new room with smiles and Away they went. So our vacation begins We went downstairs to have a few drinks the bartenders were awesome funny spoke good English, And were always full of smiles, We visited with a lot of the staff, Wendy at the front desk helping us get change, Roberto just seem to appear whenever you had a question, Ilisis Always walking around with a smile greeting you every morning, And the manager Javier Greeted us with a smile every time we came to the door downstairs, He also went out of his way with few others to help us with wedding plans, There are many more staff members we would like to mention But I am really bad with names .The staff the food the pools the rooms everything was completely wonderful thank you very much we will be back! Cash & Shelley .

• Stayed April 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

From the initial emails and setting up transportation, to greeting us personally as we drove up, we knew we were staying someplace exceptional. Javiar is magnificent! He tirelessly works to make your stay perfect. Our room was a one bedroom suite with a mini kitchen which is nicely laid out. Very basic room, exceptional ocean view. Was nice to have a table and enjoy a cocktail or breakfast on our private balcony. The pool area was not crowded and we found it easy to find a cabana every morning to relax by the pool. All the staff have a very helpful and gracious attitude. This was a very special stay for me as I wanted to surprise my girlfriend by proposing to her. Javiar personally worked with me every step of the way to make a special evening happen which even included meeting with the chef to create a personal menu for her since she is vegan. The palapa he reserved for us for dinner was gorgeous, private, oceanfront and with exceptional ocean and sunset view. She raved about the (cheeseless) chili rellenos all week! When it came down to finishing our meal and just prior to dessert I magically remembered my proposal speech and got down on one knee and asked her to marry me! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again soon. Thank you Javiar and staff, your service was exceptional and so much appreciated!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!