“Very glad I stayed at Sunset Plaza” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very glad I stayed at Sunset Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had a great time as this hotel. I went there with my friend. It is a great hotel for families, couple or a girls trip. I was satisfied with all the amenities. The rooms were clean and modern. The food was great and service excellent with friendly staff. I really had a wonderful time! I will definitely go back.
The spa was small with limited service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My stay at the Sunset Plaza Resort was the most amazing resort I have stayed in Mexico yet and I have been to several parts and have stayed in approximately 10 resorts. The staff is what really made the experience stand out. Every single staff went out of their way to accommodate every need. The word "no" does not seem to be in their vocabulary. A special thanks to Victor the restaurant Manager and many of the waiters like Jose, Juan, Sergio, Reynaldo, Randy in the bar and the list goes on.
The rooms were great with pillow top beds, iPod docking stations, great TVs, and free wireless. Every room has a great ocean view as the hotel faces the ocean directly and all have large balconies for great views of the sunrise and sunset.
The butlers were extremely helpful and always asked how things were and went out of their way to deliver fantastic service.
The pools were the cleanest I have ever seen and they took great care every morning to make sure that there was not one spec of anything from the day before. The outdoor bathrooms were being mopped and wiped down regularly.
One of the best things was the fact that there was table service for every meal and no waiting in buffet lines and the food delivered was perfect every time. They had a great selection of Chilean wine served out of the bottles unlike so many other places that has undrinkable wine coming out of carafes so you never really know what you are getting.
This resort may be a couple of hundred dollars more than others but it is well worth every penny. 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes to the old town. The location could not be better.

Room Tip: The higher you go the less noise but really there was not much noise.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just came back from our vacation in Puerto Vallarta, it was great family vacation, we all loved it but there are few thing that I found were disappointing.
First of all butlers, tip them generously when you first arrive, and doesn't matter what time is it, there is lots of things that they will help you if you do! If you don't they'll
Food a bit disappointing since the breakfast menu was very similar every day so by day 7 we didn't feel like going there anymore, kids couldn't enjoy having almost the same every day.
Dinners had a little more verity but I expected more from a 4 diamonds hotel. The pool snack were same everyday!
As we arrived on the first day we were got into going to see the time shares from the hotel itself since the owner builds more hotels closely and interested in selling it so if you interested in going for some activities it makes the discount pretty significant even though for the kids it was a torture.
Rooms are very specious when you stay in the suite, clean the staff is friendly.
Lots of people complained about being noisy in the hotel, especially during the night time, but we didn't experience it as much!
Last thing I want to mention that since our flight was scheduled to take off in the evening, we planned to stay in the hotel until than but as soon as we checked out which is around noon time we discovered that we are not allowed to use the hotel facilities anymore, which was disappointing since we had 4 hours to kill.
it was our first experience in Mexico and in overall it was a good one! I am not sure that I will come back there again but it is decent level of service!

Room Tip: I would suggest top floor as best option for better view and less noisy!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gerencia-Sunset, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa trough TripAdviso

We appreciate all of our guest’s comments and suggestions regarding our services, food and facilities, which benefit our impulse to increment and maintain our ambition to achieve top quality service levels.

Hoping to have the honor to see you again in a near future, in order to show you our improvements thanks your comments.

Sincerely!!
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband, my 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Sunset Plaza from March 16th through the 21st. The hotel was a short cab ride from the airport, but we never heard any airport noise at the hotel. We stayed in a basic room on the 4th floor, and while we would have preferred to be higher up, we still had a beautiful view. The room was spotless, the beds very comfortable and the large shaded balcony was great. We did the all-inclusive plan which worked out fine, although we did eat some dinners in town. The food in the restaurants was very good, but could have become tiresome over a longer stay. Coffee was available either in your room or by the pool every morning, and it was excellent. To get to the Malecon, we caught the bus right outside the hotel and it was less than a $5 cab ride back for all three of us. The staff were all friendly and helpful and any request we made was handled quickly and with a smile. I highly recommend a massage at the Shaddai Spa which was next door to the hotel. It doesn't have the ambiance of the hotel spa, but the massage was a fraction of the hotel price ($25 for 75 minutes) and the massage therapists were well trained and did a fantastic job. All in all, we loved the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for an upgrade, the basic rooms are very comfortable and there was adeq...
Hornell, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel was wonderful and the service and staff were exemplary. There was no need to leave the Resort for anything and the pools and food were excellent! Gourmet made to order meals which were served with amazing speed and perfect presentation. We took pictures of several of our plates when they arrived due to the artistic presentation. Staff were very busy all of the time cleaning the pool and other areas of the resort and I have nothing but praise for the surroundings, people and food. Every room had a view of Babdaras Bay and the Ocean. A bit disappointed because the rooms of my husband and I -- and my daughter, son-in-law and son were not together or even on the same floor. We were on the 11th and they on the 8th floor. They also had an upgraded room which was very nice with a large kitchen area and a sitting area. It also had a larger balcony and table and 4 chairs plus 2 lounge chairs on the balcony area outside their bedroom with a king bed. Would go back to the Sunset in a heatbeat.

Glendale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything you read here on TripAdvisor about the Sunset Plaza is absolutely true! The beautiful rooms and extraordinary staff that I read about for weeks before my trip were confirmed in person by myself and my family who were treated to an outstanding week in paradise.

For my family, what made our trip stress and hassle free was the Butler service. Our Butler David was like a personal assistant assigned to us to take care of all the minor details so that we could enjoy our vacation to the fullest. He dealt with housekeeping to make sure our room was cleaned to our specifications at our desired time, took care of everything from dinner reservations to special pillows so we could sleep better and checked in on us everyday to make sure everything was going perfect. My son and I wanted to go fishing, David made all the arrangements with some local fisherman negotiated a good price for me and even had box lunches waiting for us at 6:00 AM with instructions for the night Butler to make sure we got off okay. The day we left he made sure our bags got down from the room put us in a cab to the airport and waved goodbye to my family as we drove off. David, Muchos Gracias for all that you did to make our vacation special!

Food was hit or miss. Most dishes ranged good to very good with a one or two excellent dishes and a scant hand full of not goods. Sad to say that Luciano's was one of our least favorites and we felt the surcharge items were not worth the extra. The waiters at both restaurants provide excellent professional service.

Kids camp was a hit amongst my 9-year-old boy and 5-year-old girl. They both wanted to go often and had to be talked into leaving, the measure of a good kids camp is how hard it is to get the kids out of there. Gracias Gloria!

One complaint:

Upon arrival you are greeted by the manager with champagne and brought in as a welcomed guest, truly a classy move. During the week the friendly and professional staff reflect proudly upon management as a class act. Your entire vacation is marked with an air of class. However, I feel that they drop the ball upon departure. Check out time is noon and apparently strictly enforced. I asked the manager if we might be able to checkout 1 hour later at 1 pm so we would not have to spend so much extra time at the airport. I was told the room was needed since the hotel was full but we could store our bags and hang out...no problem we packed up and were down at 11:30. We thought we could check out and grab a quick sandwich before the airport. The hotel employee who checked us out cut our all inclusive wristbands and told us that we would not have time for lunch...”so long at 11:40” Really? Knowing that checkout was noon, we could have showed a lack of class and chowed down on room service or extra food and drinks till 11:59 and than started checkout. Since we wanted to be good “classy” guests we did not do this. We would have appreciated the gesture of allowing us an extra 20 minutes to grab a civilized lunch and leave with that impression of the class that we had upon arrival.

That issue aside, the hotel staff and management should be commended on providing such excellent service for the rest of the week! Thank you for the wonderful vacation!!!!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went to SP last may and we totally loved it. All the staff were so nice and really made an effort to take care of you. They would go out way to get things we wanted and set up a romantic dinner and dessert in the hotel room for us. One day I was lounging by the pool and they kept on bringing my favorites cazadoroes and modelo all day for me! Loved the tours as well. We did the rhythms of the night and the city tour and both were great, most def recommend them to anybody going to Puerto vallarta.

The only things missing from the resort is a nicer beach and one more restaurant. The food was good and the drinks better but for a longer stay it would been better with more options.

Overall great experience and I would def recommend this resort to family and friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!