“Best Room in PV” 5 of 5 stars

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Best Room in PV”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Exceeded all expectations!
The room: Huge! None of the reviews do the rooms justice. Think big, then add another section!
All new, nice, and beautiful. Two full baths in our room. Large walk in closet. Full kitchen.
All marble type floors, walk in showers, true 5 star.
Service: Ours could not have been better. People truly doing all they can to make sure you are having a great experience.
Food: My experience was great! I had fish many evenings. The catch of the day was always excellent. Red snapper, Mahi Mahi, Marlin, and other wonderful fish. All prepared in really interesting ways. Just excellent.
Menu is a little limited, but all that is offered is first rate in quality and preparation. There is something there for everyone.
Desserts were interesting and delicious as well. We did the all inclusive for convenience. Not necessarily for everyone, but we enjoyed it. We found that we could get anything at pretty much any time and it was really excellent.
The pools are just amazing. An adult only pool with privacy. And then there are the large pools with swim up bar. Absolutely beautiful and really just the right temp.
The beach is limited out front, but you are able to walk for miles on the shore and it's just lovely. Anything is available to you.
They also do the little things very well. Coffee is available in the middle of the pool area early each morning. Towels are always plentiful. Turn down of beds includes chocolates each evening. You can even choose the scent that you would like to be put in your room and your linens each day! Pretty nice.
You can walk to a small mall in 5 minutes. It has all of the things that you would require.
You can take a long hike to the WalMart/Sam's area, or pay 50 cents and take the bus anywere!
The views are amazing here! The resort is in the back of a horseshoe bay with the ocean framed by the Sierra madre mountains on either side. The town of PV is built into the hill to the left of your beach and the view is breathtaking at night when the town is lit up!
Old PV is a great experience as well. Lovely boardwalk with lots of art and culture.
All in all this is one of my favorite places that i've ever visited. Sunset is a huge reason why.
Also, if you like whales the watching is as good as anywhere I've been for hump backs in season!

Room Tip: Full suite is amazing, but you can't go wrong with any room in this hotel. Up higher the views...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We actually stayed here in July 2012, this is a long over due review.

I surprised my boyfriend and took him here for his birthday we are both very easy going, easy to get along with people. When we arrived they had Dom perignon in our room with fresh fruit, we had Juan as a butler who truly TRULY made our stay amazing. We got to know all the staff they were all so friendly! I met with the manager to thank him so much for all there hard work.

On my boyfriends birthday I asked Juan to surprise Marcel (boyfriend) after we got back from dinner, we came back to Balloons all over wine, and a happy birthday cake.

Rooms: the room was to DIE for breathtaking that's all I can say, very clean and always maintained.

Service: There was not one moment where we were not treated great, the service was top notch. TO be honest these people make hardly any money you need to remember that they have families to take care of, I saw people being rude to some of the staff and never tipping, well if you want good service show the workers you appreciate them. (Ignore complaints on here that say service was terrible that is probably coming from a cheap jerk that could care less to be nice to the workers)

Overall Experience: It was great My boyfriend turned 30 and I am 25 neither of us are party animals but love to let loose, so this place was absolutely perfect. IT IS A 5 STAR anyone that says it isn't well get your prude butt out of mexico!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Unlike a recent review, I thought that the Sunset Plaza was wonderful. I guess one should know what they want from a resort and research it before going. The food was amazing and I was actually happy that the resort did not have a buffet. The food was always served quickly and hot!! Had many very delicious meals...breakfast, lunch and supper! If you needed more, you could always ask for another dish of something and they got it to you quickly (we ordered a double serving of dessert the first night :)). There are 2 main restaurants - one open for all meals and one just for supper (reservations required). There is also a deli that is open from noon until about 5:30 where you could get salads, lunches and sweet treats...personally loved the BLT. This is a small resort with fewer activities but you could go to their sister resort next door for daily activities. The spa was a nice treat. The staff was super helpful and friendly over anything we requested. The butlers took care of all our needs including being sure to check up on us when a friend was stung by a bee...she has an allergy to them. I cannot recommend this resort enough if you are looking for a quieter place to enjoy relaxing. And let's not even mention how comfortable the beds were. Special thanks to Hazeal and Jose. You guys were great!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
St. Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This resort has an awesome location was listed as a 5 star well it's not. The major issue I had with this resort was the fact that they had a european plan which is the major reason there was no buffet. There was two restaurants on site one only open at night and the food was never good and never consistent. The main restaurant was fine and they changed the menu ever few days so that was a nice change. One complaint I had was the last evening we were there they had a theme night and had all the tables on the lawn it was 8 pm and we had to wait for over an hour to get a table. This was completely unacceptable I had paid for an all inclusive resort and they didn't have space for dinner? We went down the street to Blakes and had an outstanding meal. The butler service which on their website they rave about is non existent once they take you to your room. If you're traveling with children with is not the place to be and if you enjoy activities and nightly entertainment this is also not the place to be. There was no entertainment at all at this resort which I knew about a week before we arrived as our travel service sent an email telling us. The staff was outstanding they made everyone feel like they were welcome. We had an issue with our drapes one day it was fixed within an hour. This resort would rate a 3 1/2 stars from me based soley on the lack of restaurtants and entertainment. A nice place to go and relax in the sun but if you enjoy things to do choose another resort.

Room Tip: unless you want to cook don't choose the one bedroom option the regular rooms are fine also if y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have been to Puerto Vallarta the past 6 years and love everything about it. Our first FUNNY was at the airport we know to walk right on through and stop for no one inside the airport! As we get outside we are asked if we need a cab and it is arranged $40.00 for 4 of us in a van. We had a smoke and stood in the sun for a few minutes- "no hurry" he says "would you like a beer"? Heck yes.. he tells us $15.00 for 6 and he will get it- we gave him $20.00 telling him to keep the change As he walks us to the van he says give me $10.00 and the driver $30.00- Profitable15 minutes for him! So anyway I do not know what the cab fare is to Sunset from the airport.

We chose the Sunset as friends we traveled with have stayed there the past couple years...we loved it! Honestly I do not know where to start! Very nice touch to have the manager greet you at your cab as you arrive, the champaign and wet towel as you check in was a perfect introduction to the week ahead. Check in was quick and informative. We were introduced to our butler who to be honest we did not see or hear from again our entire trip. My husband and I laughed at this and were taken care of by ours friends butlers- Roberto and Iven.. They were great! It did not bother us as we are capable of deciding where to eat etc.. and honestly everyone was so helpful we didn't feel we missed out on a service.

Our friends had a suite and it was beautiful and very large. Our standard room I considered to be above standard and was perfect for us as we spend no time at all in the room. The most comfortable beds we have slept on in Mexico. We were on the 15th floor and the view was awesome. Some evenings you could hear the noise from the neighboring hotel but you are in Mexico people should be having fun and we probably shouldn't go to bed so early anyway!

We are not buffet fans at all so the menu selections were great for breakfast and lunch. The lunch selections were outstanding with the fish tacos being my favorite. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice- the first night we sat outside and it was so dark we seriously could not see our food but what we tasted was wonderful. The second meal inside was very nice, I thought it odd men could not wear shorts but women could be in wind pants and baseball hats. I get it that it is intended to be a nicer dining option but a nice pair of dress shorts fit the atmosphere. We did eat at the main restaurant one night and my husband had the shrimp which was very good. If you ate every night at this resort you may get bored as the variety for dinner does not change. We like to eat out so this is fine with us. (Amazing taco stand just 2 blocks away on the main street heading to town- outstanding is all I can say!) The drinks were great and always great service, I wish I was better with names as so many servers were fabulous!!. We sat at the swim up bar a couple times which was fun but mostly were at the adult pool which was quiet but nice to still be able to shop from the beach vendors if we wanted to. It is a relaxing resort but a little music at the pool would be nice, no thumping woop woop stuff but not elevator either.. we are in Mexico! we stopped each night at the bar inside and it was quiet and nice.

The beach.. if you venture off heading the direction of town is terrible, rocks and not nice. If you want a nice walk go the other direction. Speaking of walking we walked to town in about 20 minutes- easy walk with places to stop along the way for a beer. We took a cab back which costs $8.00 so very reasonable.

It was a perfect vacation for couples- We would not bring our kids here as not many activities, possibly kids under 5 or so would be OK as the kids club looked very nice. Anyway.. We loved it, you should trust all the reviews you have read and stay here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerencia-Sunset, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, we really appreciate all the feedback which help us to mantain and improve our quality standars.

Thanks and will be an honor see you again at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa.

Regards,
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've been reading reviews for a bunch of different places in Mexico and Jamaica for our next trip and decided to write my own for this great place. We came here as part of Shell Vacations Time-Share.

Travel History: Florida (Disney), Arizona (all over), Hawaii (Main Island: Kona), Cruise (Caribbean), Mexico (Just across the border).

When: Visited in September of 2011 for two full weeks. (off season and their New Years)

Room: One of the center suites, 7th floor, with the kitchen and 1 bedroom. It was pretty massive and very new, clean, etc. View was amazing.

All-Inclusive: We opted out of this so we paid for everything via room charge. We were there for 2 weeks so we just bought groceries at the store about 2 blocks down the road. Walk there, taxi back for 5 bucks. We ended up spending about $800 on hotel food and liquor. All-inclusive would have cost $2,100 so I think we made out pretty well. We don't drink much though.

Staff: The staff is paid very little but you don't see that in their service (about $1 U.S hourly). We were there for two weeks and got to know a lot of them very well. El Capitan at the pool bar, Diego the pool boy, Juan the butler, and Boli the bell boy. Boli was the best guy ever. He would get anything you wanted and told you all the great spots to go. He even invited my wife and I over to his place with his wife to make us an authentic Mexican cuisine (we just never made the time but I totally would have done it). At some point, we were the only couple in the entire resort! That was just about the sweetest day for us ever. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, this is not the place. This is about relaxing at the warm pool and being pampered by the staff. Pool boys will take care of you with water, towels, books, suntan lotion, you name it! Again, we came in the slow season.
FYI - We didn't tip a penny for regular service until the very last day. They were amazing and didn't make a single cent until they earned it...and they did.

Typical Resort stuff:
Yes, there is the typical time-share hassle when you arrive but they don't force it down your throat after that. We did it, and got some free stuff, but I didn't buy anything and they didn't act annoying at the end either. It was about 2 hours long.
The beach hawkers are there and will try to get you to buy anything but that is the norm at these places. People don't normally hang out at the beach in PV because the water in September is not very clean (rains from the mountain wash a lot of mud into the shores).
The Italian restaurant is not open much (I think 4 days for the whole 2 weeks we were there) and my wife and I did not bother with it but the other couples there said it was great.

Random Problems:
A couple moved in next door about a week into our stay and we could smell their smoke. Not really the resorts problem. The resort does have scented rooms and linens as well as a pillow menu so those made up for it.
The resort got pretty busy the night of their New Years (to be expected). It looked like most of them were from Mexico and just wanted to come to PV for a small stay. We had a family move in next door with a crying baby (on the opposite side of the smokers). They were only there for two nights so no biggie. Again, not something the resort can help.
Only one restaurant on the grounds and it isn't open very much. Other open-air place is open most of the day but closes to switch over the menu. If you want to eat while it's closed, you will need to find another place to go. Just know the hours and you will be good.

Random Awesomeness:
We accidentally left the safe open while out at the pool. Butler came out to us and told us that we left it open. He came up with me, ensuring everything was there, and let the housekeeper back it. Very good protocol and very honest staff.
There is a turtle hatching area on the premises. A few nights a week, they will give a bunch out to let go into the sea. From what I could tell, people from all over the beach came to our little resort to be a part of it. Very cool.
The butler is at your beckon call pretty much anytime of the day. If you need something, he is there for you. If you call down with an issue, he is at your door in a matter of minutes.
Turn down service every night with room scent of your choice, linen scents, pillow menu. Not many places can offer this to you for their price.
Very Random - There was a lightning storm one night. Silent but lightning all over. It was the most gorgeous night overlooking the ocean.

Side Notes:
We stayed here for two weeks. We saw all manner of people come and go. It was like a home to us because we bought groceries and the local grocery store, we took the bus everywhere (like the locals do), we walked around a lot. We went zip-lining, catamaran cruising, pirate ship sailing, donkey'ing (?), you name it, we did it and nothing cost too much.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view, every room is new. Rooms don't even start until the 3rd or 4th flo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that you enjoyed every minute at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, we really hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future.

Sincerely!
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our family's first all-inclusive experience. We appreciated the wonderful food from the casual restaurant. AMAZING "Blue Steak", done to perfection and the fish tacos at lunch were a favorite. We were able to order our young childrens' food from the regular menu instead of the "kids'" menu which was a plus. We were so impressed with the authentic mexican food options and when we asked about some chorizo that was not on the menu, the waiter was quick to offer that it WAS available for us. The fancy italian restaurant was nothing exciting, especially with a preschooler and toddler to manage during dinner- but it did offer some lovely wine not available at the other restaurant.

The property was beautiful, the pools offered great entertainment for our kids as well as the little playground just outside the restaurant. Rooms are HUGE and our one bedroom suite with living room and kitchen was modern and spacious. As others noted, a higher floor room has a much better panoramic view. We originally had a room on the third floor and requested to be moved. The next day we were moved to the 11th floor, which was fantastic.

I can't say enough about the lovely staff, everyone was soo friendly and accommodating with us and our children. Special kudos to all the wonderful doormen that always had a smile and nice word for our boys. Roberto, our butler, was especially welcoming and always eager to assist us. The restaurant staff could not have been more gracious and poolside Jorge was timely with drinks and food- always with a big smile.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded your expectations in regards of the service provided by our dedicated staff.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa trough TripAdvisor.

Our sincere greetings!!!

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!