“NO TIME SHARE PRESSURE! REALLY NICE HOTEL. GO NOW!” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“NO TIME SHARE PRESSURE! REALLY NICE HOTEL. GO NOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

NO TIME SHARE PRESSURE! REALLY NICE HOTEL! GO NOW!

Posted January 30, 2013

NO time share pressure. Personable and efficient staff. Great junior suite. Lots of maid service!!Few families with kids or drunken parties - yes!!

All-inclusive too expensive and not enough restaurants for 14 days. I only had one meal in one of them but the food wasn't great though staff was.
IN hotel zone, about a mile and a half to the beginning of Puerto Vallarta proper. Easy to get local buses or taxis. Seemed safe and pretty quiet.

Best of all, there was virtually NO time-share pressure. The question wasn't even raised for a few days and then I was offered a half-price all-inclusive deal if I attended a time share presentation. It was easy to evade as I told them I wouldn't be able to make a decision without my husband being there(!) and because I'd decided against the all-inclusive anyway as being too expensive @ $92-ish per day. I had one meal which wasn't great and there are only 2 or 3 restaurants so I decided not to bother. They accepted this easily and that was that.

The common parts of the hotel & pools, etc. are very new and modern. My junior suite was huge & luxurious. Marble bathrooms, jacuzzi spa, double balcony with ocean view and loungers on the balcony. Good, really well-stocked kitchen, with granite (I think) counters. There was a blender, saucepans, large refrigerator, ice service, crockery, cutlery, detergent, dishtowels, etc. The maids would wash the dishes and leave them to dry, but, mysteriously, didn't put them away the next day but just piled the next day's dishes to dry on top of the previous day's dry ones. I figured it was one of those Mexican mysteries I wouldn't get to the bottom of!

The bellboys and butlers, Roberto, Juan, & Manuel, and the maids, Adelaide, Adele, and Seguro were all charming, hard-working, and very considerate and friendly, made me feel very welcome and at home. They even let me practise my rather intermediate Spanish on them!

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my 4th time to Puerto Vallarta in the last 15 years. In the past, upon coming to different hotels, we would be greeted and then the eventual pressure started into buying Timeshares or other similiar presentations that wasted a lot of the day. They attempted to make you feel guilty if you did not buy into one. It basically ruined part of our trip so we avoided Mexico the last several years because of that.
So, several years later we decided to come back one more time. Upon our arrival at the Sunset Plaza, we were greeted by the hotel manager in a very friendly positive way from our taxi. Never before did that happen so that was very unusual for me. He knew our name and made us feel welcome in everyway. The hotel itself is beautiful, nice, clean and close to downtown. The staff had great english skills and were helpful with anything and everything. The maid service kept our rooms spotless as well which is basically a thankless job.
Last...but definitely not the least, not once did someone bring up timeshares or anything of the kind to us. Even in the city of Puerto Vallarta we were not approached once with salesmen pitching Timeshares, so Mexico finally got the message that people don't want to hear about that anymore.
We are definitly coming back to Sunset Plaza. We travel a lot and this place is in the top tier of places we now love!!!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sunset Plaza (week of 1.13-1.20). We were welcomed immediately by Victor (bell boy) and then by Hazael (butler). Both Victor and Hazael took very good care of us. The staff, the huge 1bdrm suite and the location made this a great vacation for us. I would have to agree with the travellers review regarding the food. The food selection is not the best (we are so...glad that we didn't sign up for all-inclusive). As stated, we enjoyed the hotel very much. To Victor, Hazael, Alicia (tour agent), Catalina (maid) you guys made our Puerto Vallarta trip WONDERFUL!!!
Your Friends,
"Ol G and Mrs. G

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I arrived at the hotel a day late after a nightmare of flights with Air Canada. First I'd like to point out that I was not charged for missing the previous night even though it was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Second, I was greeted by name by the most amazing manager ever. He asked how I was, and I lost it, I was in tears since I was so stressed out with the flights and then the airline losing my luggage. He comforted me and told me he'd help me figure out the luggage issue. He got me all checked in, and introduced me to my butler Juan, who was amazing. He took me to my room, showed me everything and left me to settle in a bit. I asked Juan how far Walmart was, and he offered to go get me whatever I needed from the store himself. What other resort does that!?!?!? However, I needed to go get a change of clothes since I had been travelling in mine for 2 days to get there. I went downstairs and Mr Garcia (manager) asked me about the luggage, if I filed a report and where the info was. I went back to my room to get the information from the airport and handed it to him. He wanted me to call from his desk so that I could find out how much I could spend and get reimbursed for (he wanted me to call from there so I wouldn't be charged for a call from my room) again, what resort does this!?!?! while on hold forever, he waited, patiently. They eventually answered my call and hung up. He called back and spoke to someone in spanish for me, explained the situation and then handed me the phone so i could get the instructions on how to get reimbursed. HE IS AMAZING! We found out my luggage would be arriving the next day, and he personally offered to bring it to me in the hospital where I would be the following day. Again, what resort does this!?!?!? I could go on and on and on about this resort. You are greeted by staff in passing, they always ask if they can get anything for you, they open the doors for you... just fantastic service! My butler, Juan, was also fantastic! I asked him to be my butler again when I returned from the hospital later that week. The customer service at this resort has exceeded any and all expectation I could have ever had. I was back later that week and will post a second review for that stay, however, I have already started planning a return trip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was a nice look into another culture. We chose to remain close to the resort most of our stay. We did take a couple of tours that showed a significant difference in the resort versus 'real life' status of this city. This side of Mexico is a bit pricier than the Cancun / Cozumel side but has a beauty of it's own. The resort was lovely, but overpriced for the quality / number of amenities. The sales pitches were respectful.

Room Tip: Don't go above the 4th floor and by all means rent an efficiency or better unless you plan to go...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

we booked 2 nights on book it.com all inclusive and had a certificate from shell for 4 nights. The resort is great, very relaxing by the pool, swim up bar, endless pool, 3 hot tubs. we did the shell update meeting and purchased a week every year to return. They upgraded us to a king suite with a kitchen, living room, and huge balacony with an amazing view of the property. Weather was wonderful 80+. Big difference from hotel room with 2 queens to king suite, but all have the same great view. small property so did not seem busy although they said they were full we did not feel crowded. Food was ok-good, but presentation was A+, meal was repeatative, that is why it was nice not to do all inclusive everyday, as it was nice to go into town and eat authenic mexican. we did "the rythum of the nights, highly recommend. City-tropical tour was ok, but be prepared for $70 lunch, we were not, which was crazy. Had 2 massages in the hut by the ocean, wonderful.! We had a great time but left behind a expensive camera in the taxi which we will probably never see, it would be nice if someone at least mailed my SD cards, so I had all my photos. staff was very attentive and always available. Can't wait to return

Room Tip: get a king suite, 15th floor view is amazing!
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel for our 10-day visit in Puerto Vallarta. The staff, including the manager, Javier Vergara, were so welcoming it made the stay extra special. Javier greeted us as we walked in the first day, and everyone else, from our butler, to the daytime maid for our 7th floor room, Lucero, and our turn-down maid (darn, don't know her name, but she was a sweetheart), were great. The hotel is spotless and the pools, etc., were maintained in excellent fashion. We loved the "adult only" option for the pool as it was just us Old Fogies on this trip. It would be a great place to bring our grandkids, though, with the Kids' Club and pool just right for them too. Weather was great the whole time, a little overcast some days but sunsets were just that much more beautiful. We hope to come back before too long, and would love to stay here again, maybe a floor or 2 higher just to see that much more ocean! We are in the lobby now, getting ready to leave, and Javier came over and thanked us for staying at this property. It was definitely our pleasure.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors are a bit less noisy at night; as others have mentioned the neighbors are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!