“Best Resort I've ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diego Rivera 121, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Best Resort I've ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I arrived at the hotel a day late after a nightmare of flights with Air Canada. First I'd like to point out that I was not charged for missing the previous night even though it was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Second, I was greeted by name by the most amazing manager ever. He asked how I was, and I lost it, I was in tears since I was so stressed out with the flights and then the airline losing my luggage. He comforted me and told me he'd help me figure out the luggage issue. He got me all checked in, and introduced me to my butler Juan, who was amazing. He took me to my room, showed me everything and left me to settle in a bit. I asked Juan how far Walmart was, and he offered to go get me whatever I needed from the store himself. What other resort does that!?!?!? However, I needed to go get a change of clothes since I had been travelling in mine for 2 days to get there. I went downstairs and Mr Garcia (manager) asked me about the luggage, if I filed a report and where the info was. I went back to my room to get the information from the airport and handed it to him. He wanted me to call from his desk so that I could find out how much I could spend and get reimbursed for (he wanted me to call from there so I wouldn't be charged for a call from my room) again, what resort does this!?!?! while on hold forever, he waited, patiently. They eventually answered my call and hung up. He called back and spoke to someone in spanish for me, explained the situation and then handed me the phone so i could get the instructions on how to get reimbursed. HE IS AMAZING! We found out my luggage would be arriving the next day, and he personally offered to bring it to me in the hospital where I would be the following day. Again, what resort does this!?!?!? I could go on and on and on about this resort. You are greeted by staff in passing, they always ask if they can get anything for you, they open the doors for you... just fantastic service! My butler, Juan, was also fantastic! I asked him to be my butler again when I returned from the hospital later that week. The customer service at this resort has exceeded any and all expectation I could have ever had. I was back later that week and will post a second review for that stay, however, I have already started planning a return trip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

1,177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was a nice look into another culture. We chose to remain close to the resort most of our stay. We did take a couple of tours that showed a significant difference in the resort versus 'real life' status of this city. This side of Mexico is a bit pricier than the Cancun / Cozumel side but has a beauty of it's own. The resort was lovely, but overpriced for the quality / number of amenities. The sales pitches were respectful.

Room Tip: Don't go above the 4th floor and by all means rent an efficiency or better unless you plan to go...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

we booked 2 nights on book it.com all inclusive and had a certificate from shell for 4 nights. The resort is great, very relaxing by the pool, swim up bar, endless pool, 3 hot tubs. we did the shell update meeting and purchased a week every year to return. They upgraded us to a king suite with a kitchen, living room, and huge balacony with an amazing view of the property. Weather was wonderful 80+. Big difference from hotel room with 2 queens to king suite, but all have the same great view. small property so did not seem busy although they said they were full we did not feel crowded. Food was ok-good, but presentation was A+, meal was repeatative, that is why it was nice not to do all inclusive everyday, as it was nice to go into town and eat authenic mexican. we did "the rythum of the nights, highly recommend. City-tropical tour was ok, but be prepared for $70 lunch, we were not, which was crazy. Had 2 massages in the hut by the ocean, wonderful.! We had a great time but left behind a expensive camera in the taxi which we will probably never see, it would be nice if someone at least mailed my SD cards, so I had all my photos. staff was very attentive and always available. Can't wait to return

Room Tip: get a king suite, 15th floor view is amazing!
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel for our 10-day visit in Puerto Vallarta. The staff, including the manager, Javier Vergara, were so welcoming it made the stay extra special. Javier greeted us as we walked in the first day, and everyone else, from our butler, to the daytime maid for our 7th floor room, Lucero, and our turn-down maid (darn, don't know her name, but she was a sweetheart), were great. The hotel is spotless and the pools, etc., were maintained in excellent fashion. We loved the "adult only" option for the pool as it was just us Old Fogies on this trip. It would be a great place to bring our grandkids, though, with the Kids' Club and pool just right for them too. Weather was great the whole time, a little overcast some days but sunsets were just that much more beautiful. We hope to come back before too long, and would love to stay here again, maybe a floor or 2 higher just to see that much more ocean! We are in the lobby now, getting ready to leave, and Javier came over and thanked us for staying at this property. It was definitely our pleasure.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors are a bit less noisy at night; as others have mentioned the neighbors are...
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a week at sunset plaza and we enjoyed our stay there....My Wife, kids (6 months and 3 years old) and I enjoyed our suite on the 7th floor. The room was very clean (our maid Lucero was great) with nice amenities and with a beautiful big balcony that we really enjoyed during the evening and the kids naps. The resort is very quiet and we only had noise to deal with one night when there was a wedding at the resort and the music at the out door reception was a bit too loud. The food was good at the resort...a few meals were just okay but many were very good. We don't drink much but the few cocktails we did order were very tasty. We did use the room service many times as it was not easy getting the kids to sit for 3 meals a day in the restaurants and the food was basic but good.
Gloria in the kids club was great..my daughter really loved spending time in the kids club and asked to go every day (a reminder kids must be 4 years old to play in the kids club without parental supervision no exceptions)
The pools were fantastic...big, clean, and warm! The gardeners and cleaners do a fantastic job...the grounds are immaculate and these folks deserve a lot of recognition as they are always working hard behind the scenes if you look close!
The butlers and other staff were great! Manuel, David, Hazael, and Jose were a great help.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would like to return for another visit in the future.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the quieter the room will be away from the ground level noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As other travellers have mentioned the only thing stopping me from giving this a 5 is the food! Unfortunately the menus are repetitive, so if you find nothing you like expect to eat room service which seems to have a bit more variety.
That being said the resort is very beautiful. We had a great 1 bedroom suite! The kitchen was well stocked with whatever cooking utensils you needed. If you were not doing the "all inclusive" it would be very easy to prepare your own meals. The rooms were cleaned daily and they did a great job. The "butler" service was a bit of a mystery. We saw our butler upon our arrival, gave him our preferences for turn down etc, but whether we got what we requested was a bit of a hit and miss. Not a huge deal just weird. The jacuzzi tub in the room was great. Yes it took a while to fill, but it's a big tub so to be expected. Having two bathrooms was also a bonus.
The service at the hotel is awesome. Alejandro was our server by the pool and did a great job! The front desk staff were also very helpful. I unfortunately got sick (not the hotels fault) and was still sick on our checkout day. We asked for a later check-out as our flight was in the afternoon and it was given with no hassle and no additional fee! Very much appreciated.
The pools are great. We enjoyed both the adult only area with the sun beds, and the other pools. Getting a chair never really was a problem for us, but we are early risers so were usually at the pool by 10am.
The location is also great. A 50 peso taxi ride takes you just about anywhere. Just a note, taxi drivers say they don't carry change, so make sure you have some smaller pesos!
The only other thing that they are missing here is a bit of night time entertainment. They did have a band one night, but not much else.

Room Tip: High floors appeared to have a better view and less noise from the A/C of adjacent building.
SLC, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this resort between January 6-12 2013. This resort is incredible! The staff, the room, the views, all exceeded our expectations. We were a group of 11 that ranged in ages 18 months up to 70. We had 4 rooms on the 12th floor. Incredible.
The staff was incredible. There was not a day that they didn't open doors, smile, ask if they could do anything for us, if we asked for directions or ideas on how to get someplace, they went out of their way to assist. I miss their smiling hello's every day!
The rooms were immaculate. We could watch the dolphins play from our decks every morning. I read somewhere about noise but we did not have that problem at all. They were quite other than the sound of waves coming in.
There was not much of a nightlife here. Other than for our 23 year old son, it was fine, we weren't really there for that. They did have a little bar with live music and a bit of a gathering. No shows or anything like that which was fine for us. If you are expecting entertainment then this is not the resort for you. If you are looking for a more relaxing and intimate experience, then YES, this resort is for you.
The food was alright. We have traveled and visited many all-inclusives in the past and it was very comparable. They change out the menu's every other day or so. It did get a little old for some of us so we just ordered off of the kids menu's to switch things up. I wouldn't expect more from a resort such as this because of the amount of people they must feed daily. We ate outside of the resort a few times which help out a lot.
The drinks were good and really strong enough for us.
We loved the location of this resort. The 11 of us including my little 2 year old grand daughter and 70 year old mother could easily hop on a local bus and be at the Malecon in 10 minutes for only .40 pesos each. We also took the bus to Sayulita and easily hopped on from our resort for a very reasonable price. It felt very close to everything yet also seemed like a small slice of paradise away from everything!
In the future if visiting PV with our family, we will definitely return to this very intimate, relaxing resort. If you decide to stay here, say hi to Ivan, Manuel and all of the staff from us!

Room Tip: Stay as high up as you can, the views are incredible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!