“Beautiful place, but can be loud” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay View Grand

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bay View Grand
You added Bay View Grand to your Saves list
626 Paseo De La Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico   |
Sooke, Canada
“Beautiful place, but can be loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 14 days in a condo at Bay View Grande and enjoyed the stay. The two bedroom condo was perfect for our needs. The place itself is clean and well maintained.
Being right at the airport brings some noise. We noticed too that there was a lot of noise from maintenance work on the yard (lawn trimmers) and building (grinding balcony railing before reprinting) that was disturbing.

• Stayed February 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I echo all the sentiments of the previous reviewer! We too were left waiting at the gate for a half-hour upon arrival while the security guards tried in vain to find our name and reservation (although I had notified the owner earlier that week as to our arrival time!)The owner "forgot"... how very unprofessional!! Although I had booked the unit ten months in advance, we were never informed that we were staying in unit 607 and not 606, as per our contract! After meeting the occupant in 606 and much confusion and apprehension, we finally met the owner's representative who promptly took our $300C deposit and left! Many questions we had about the unit/resort were left unanswered! We left to buy a large jug of filtered water at Walmart and it was only after speaking to another resident (days later!) that we were informed that water was available on site at the snack bar!!!
It took only 15 minutes in this "home away from home" to discover that we had an ant problem!!! On the floor, in the kitchen cupboards, bathroom, dishwasher, even the microwave! Disgusting to say the last! I swept and mopped the floors and cleaned all surfaces with Lysol and we purchased ant spray at the local Home Depot! We were extra-vigilant not to leave any food on the counters! The "problem" resurfaced days later and it was an ongoing battle! The resident in C606 was also having the same problem! Realizing that this might be a common concern in the entire resort, I asked other residents who assured me that they didn't have the infestation we were experiencing! At wit's end, I emailed the owner re our concern, asking him to provide us with a powder we could use to control this! His response: "nothing more serious than a little dust"!!! I was ridiculed: "It's obvious you're very green and naive"! Note to owner: spent a year in Africa and this is our ninth trip south...do NOT patronize me about tropical climes!! We were provided by a maid with another can of ineffective spray and the remainder of our month-long holiday was spent on an ant safari!!! It was obvious from the start that Mr. Ouellette's only concern was and is financial! On the eve of our departure, his "busboy" presented us with an envelope containing $200US, not the deposit we had provided! It took another hour while we waited anxiously to get the correct deposit back!
As previously stated, the complex is heavenly...very clean and the grounds are beautifully manicured! The staff are polite and helpful! Would have been nice to be informed that residents must provide their own racquets and balls to use the tennis courts...another area where the owner "dropped the ball"!!!
Do yourself and your loved ones a favor...don't stay in either of these units! Any problems you encounter will only be met with total indifference by the owner!

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband,my 2 young children and I stayed at the Bayview Grand in Unit C-607 on March 2011 for 2 weeks.My first big mistake was agreeing to rent from Matt Ouellette,...think twice when you hear this name!! Before we left for PV,we were asked to email a guy named Fernando Marinez (Matt's 'Property Manager' and I use the term very loosely!) with our arrival and flight information so he would know what time to meet us at the unit.We arrived at the BayView Grand and found no one there to meet us! Imagine how we felt waititng for 45 mins outside the unit with our luggage! My husband was scared that we'd have no place to stay,that it was all a big scam and I started thinking the same thing! Well,along walks this 18 year old kid wearing headphones after almost an hour! We later found out that this kid is Matt's wife's cousin and he's using him for cheap labour.Speaking with another property manager there,it's only $100 CAD/month for a professional! This was only the beginning....
When we enetered the unit,we were not too impressed to say the least! The view from the balcony is spectacular....nothing like it,but that's where it ends.We went to the bedroom to check things out....the bed,like another reviewer mentioned,is rock hard! I couldn't wait to get back to my own bed after sleeping in this one! When we took the sheets out for the convertible bed we found some hairs on it (no details needed,I think!) We ended up washing all the sheets and towels just in case! Checking out the kitchen area,I went through all the dishes,glasses and cutlery and decided to wash it all as well.Upon doing so I came across cutlery that was still dirty,and dishes that had grease on them as though someone had merely wiped off the food and not bothered to wash it!How disgusting! The first night we stayed there,we pulled out the sofa bed...one of us was going to sleep there with one of our children and we'd take turns as to who gets to sleep in the bed.Well we pulled this rickety old sofabed (if you want to call it that!) out and after inspecting it pushed it back into the sofa.It was flimsy at best and it had such a thin mattress on it that no one could possibly feel any level of comfort on it! My poor husband ended up sleeping on the couch for the entire 2 weeks and I slept in the bed with our 2 girls.
In the ad for the unit,it says that there is satellite tv in the room-there's not.It's all Mexican channels except for the 3 standard US channels that every other hotel has. There is no internet access insuite either,also advertised.You have to go downstairs to the snack bar,or try and get a signal from someone else in the complex from the balcony. The bed was advertised as queen size,it was a double for sure. In the bathroom,the shower doors were covered with soap scum.I bought antibacterial wipes at the grocery store so I could wipe everything down before we used it,including the toilet! It looked to us as though Matt doesn't get a maid to come and do a proper cleaning after the guests have left.Needless to say,we left it looking better than when we arrived!
Which brings me to the day we checked out.....we sent Fernando an email early in the morning to confirm our appointment for noon the day we were leaving and to come and bring us our $200 CAD security deposit we left when we got there.Well noon came and went.We tried calling him on the cell number he left us but it was dead.We also tried to call from my mother's Mexican cell phone because you can't make calls outside the BVG complex. We finally were able to track down Matt on one of his contact numbers.We explained the situation to him and that we had things we wanted to do before our 7:40 flight that night,but were stuck waiting to Fernando to show up.His respone was "I sympathize with you,but what would you like me to do? I'm in Canada right now and I hope you realize that it's costing me 3 dollars a minute to take this call from you right now." He sounded very annoyed and was very rude about it,but I explained that we didn't care how much it cost....that's the price of doing business,so too bad.He offered to transfer the money to us if we did online banking and to leave the keys and the bracelets on the desk when we left.We don't,and even if we did,do you think we'd feel comfortable giving this scammer our bank info?? Nope. We were fully prepared to take them all with us when we left if we did not get our money back.Finally,he sent us an email saying that another man,an ACTUAL property manager,would come bring us the deposit.We finally got it back at 3 pm that day,after much frustration.Not exactly the way we wanted to end our vacation.
We spoke with our neighbors in C606,also owned by Matt.They mentioned that they stayed in another unit in the same complex, and that it was nothing like this one.They had never seen a unit as neglected as the ones we were both staying in.I wish I had taken a picture of one of the frying pans that was in the oven...it had so much burnt on food on it that I would never even consider using it! And our neighbor had a matching one! If he would only pour a few dollars into these units,he could make a lot more money (which is apparently all he cares about)!
The grounds itself are stunning,though.They are groomed daily and it's like walking through a park-like paradise. The pool is where we spent the majority of our stay.Because of our 2 children (ages 5 and 2 and a half),we spent a LOT of time at the 2 kiddie pools which are infinity pools too! We did see the crocoadile signs,but we only went to the beach twice during our stay.The pools are extremely clean and welcoming and perfect for kids our age! All of the staff at BVG were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome and at home.
The complex is fantastic,but beware of Units C606 and C607,owned by Matt Ouellette!!My recommendation is based on this particular unit ONLY,not the entire BVG complex. IT is fantastic,this unit is NOT! (I'm 99% sure that the review that he has posted on his vrbo.com site was done by him!) Never,ever deal with this person.He will take your money and leave you high and dry!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Recently stayed for a week in a 2 bed 2 bath condo at Bay View Grand condo in puerto vallarta. The condo complex was gorgeous, with a hige, heated infinity pool, and a long quiet beach. We were also able to play tennis and used the great gym twice. There is a great poolside restaurant, and even a convenience store. It was just a short walk to some great restaurants in marina vallarta. It was also convenient to downtown - just a short bus ride from in front of the condo. We found the pool and grounds to be very well kept up, and would highly recommend this condo complex. We hope to be back soon

• Stayed January 2011
Newport Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We took a last minute trip and rented this condo number C-607 at the Bay View Grand in Puerto Vallarta for 10 days. During this time, we had intermittent running water. The water would completely stop for hours on end. This condo was represented as a luxury condo, but we felt more like we were camping. The elevators also did not work half of the time. This condo was on the 6th floor and it was no fun walking up all those flights of stairs in the heat and humidity. The bed was rock hard. The bedding smelled so badly of mold that we had to wash it before we could sleep in it. The refrigerator leaked water all over the kitchen floor and we continually had to wipe it up. The owner, Matt Ouellette, lived in Puerto Vallarta and we emailed him with these problems thinking he would help. His response was, "all of these things you are emailing me about have to be fixed by the guards." In other words, he was unwilling to help us. I responded that the least he could do would be to adjust our bill for all the problems we had. He responded by saying, "I've already given you the unit for about 50 dollars less than I usually charge. All of those problems are exterior and I cannot go any lower." Well, he gave us this unit for $70 a day, in the rainy season, which would of been a good deal, if the unit we rented was the place he represented it to be. But believe me it was not. Half the time, we could not flush our toliets or take a shower. It was just awful!

Also, there was a small sign near the elevators that warned of crocodiles in the ocean right outside the Bay View Grand. This sign was so small that we did not even notice it until we were there about 7 days. We did not see any crocodiles there ourselves, but I did do some internet research and it is true that there are crocs in the water near the Bay View Grand. There is a crocodile sanctuary run by the Universidad de La Costa, just north of the Bay View Grand at Playa de Tomates. This is how they enter the ocean right outside the Bay View Grand.

The pool and the grounds of the Bay View Grand are, indeed, beautiful. The management of the Bay View Grand informed us that they were having water and elevator problems all month and it was temporary and should be fixed soon. The owner of our condo knew about these problems before we rented from him and he should have informed us of the problems up front before we decided to rent his condo. However, he failed to do so. He just wanted our money. This was just not right!!

If you stay at the Bay View Grand, just don't rent this particular unit, C-607, owner Matt Ouellette. Rent from another owner and swim in the ocean at your own risk.

Stayed July 2010

Been to Bay View Grand? Share your experiences!