“Old town Vallarta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Catedral Vallarta

You added Hotel Catedral Vallarta to your Saves list
Hotel Catedral Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hidalgo 166 Centro | Entre calles Libertad y Agustín Rodríguez, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle
“Old town Vallarta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I will definitely return to this hotel. The Pro's are the location, the helpful and friendly staff, and the price. The view from my window was of a wonderful city scape, with the welcoming noises of Mexico starting around 9 and continuing through about 11. Easily could cross one of the 3 bridges into the Romantic District for restaurants and shops, and access to the beach. After I made my reservations, they upgraded me to a room with a kitchenette and sent a car to the airport to pick me up since I was staying more than 5 nights. A nice touch. Also, I think I was there the tail end of busy season.

The downside were the mattresses - I had a horrible time on the one of two queen beds my first night. My entire body hurt and I was up half the night. So, the second night (and for the remainder of my visit) I slept in the second queen bed, and it was a bit better. I laid out all the pillows and ended up sleeping on top of those for a few nights. So, check the mattresses before accepting a room. It may be that other rooms have softer ones.

Otherwise, staff was so wonderful and helpful. They offer complementary coffee/tea and cookies in the morning, which I never partook. I will return here, but will check the mattresses before accepting the room.

Room Tip: Check the mattresses are to you liking before accepting a room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Park City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We loved our room, the hotel location, the friendly staff, and the decor of the hotel. Also loved the price! I was afraid the central location, right across from the municipal market would meant the hotel would be noisy, but it was super quiet. It was a quick few minutes walk to the beach or to great restaurants. And we always love running over that rope bridge, which is just at the end of the block

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Preston, Connecticut, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a delightful and special find! Fresh, comfortable, clean, quiet. Art, local crafts, photos of old Vallarta part of the charming ambience. Fantastic location central to everything especially exploring on foot. Super affordable with AAA which allowed us more budget $$ to spend in town! We did not need a pool or want to be super "plugged in" and this suited us perfectly. The best part--the gracious, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Helped successfully and cheerfully with some minor issues with older fixtures etc. Patient (and encouraging) with our Spanish, helped us navigate our first time to Mexico in every way. I was here on my own with our 12-year old son and we were both loved it. Muchas gracias! We'll be back!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our balcony for views and street scene. Cathedral bells were lovely, not too loud.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is the perfect hotel for Puerto Vallarta travellers looking for affordable, well maintained, safe accommodations. The decor is colourful and beautiful, the location perfect and the service very friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel for those travelling to Puerto Vallarta for the first time and/or for the 4th time.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool; however, the hotel is located across the street from the beach and the Ma...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nicely decorated, and with lots of plants in the courtyard this is a cute and small hotel with very helpful and friendly staff and clean rooms. As other reviewers have noted, there can be some noise from the streets outside, but we did not find this a big issue and it didn't interfere with our sleep in any way. Super quiet air-conditioning. Close to the Malecon and lots of restaurants and in an authentic downtown area, this hotel is for people who prefer a genuine Mexican atmosphere over huge Corporate-American style places... We will definitely return here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Moab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Jenifer and I returned from our third year in a row of having a March holiday at this gem of a small, comfortable hotel. It is ideally located for safely strolling the area, the wonderful seaside malecon, the nearby vibrant Old Town, loads of wonderful restaurants or for catching VERY frequent buses just a block away.

The Hotel is even more colorfully decorated than our last visit in 2012. The rooftop sunning area is suitable even for hosting a wedding or just gazing around at the hills, neighborhood or the Catedral with its pleasantly tolling bells.

"Our" room has a small kitchen/dining area which we like. All rooms have their own charms and are well decorated. Beds are comfortable, A/C is individually controlled and rooms have ceiling fans too.

The hotel's courtyard is entered from two streets and is a wonderful space to meet fellow travelers, some from our previous visits that stay for several weeks each year. We stayed 9 nights this year felt that more time would be better and are already promising 2 weeks next year.

The staff are wonderful, welcoming, caring folks and certainly add greatly to our visit and whole experience. They and the fine management really do care that you feel like you have been as treated wonderfully and respectfully, and will offer any needed assistance.

We wander in and out several times a day and I always cry out "We're Home" and the Hotel Catedral Vallarta truly feels that way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed a week in March 2013. Enjoyed my stay very much.

I noticed a couple of comments on the hot water situation. I found that before you step into the shower let the hot water run for about 5 minutes and you've got it. No big problem.

It is close to the Malecon and all the best authentic Mexican food in all of Puerto Vallarta. I walked an average of 2-3 miles a day and checked out every little food place. The street taco stands serve some of the best tacos I've ever tasted and for only 15 or so pesos.

The staff at the motel is exceptional and they keep the rooms perfectly clean. I'll for sure stay there again with no hesitation.

Jerry

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Catedral Vallarta? Share your experiences!