“Great Time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Miramar Club & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Miramar Club & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Miramar Club & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de los Corales 139 | Residencial Conchas Chinas, Puerto Vallarta 48326, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Gambrills, Maryland
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Visited the first week of October, 2013. The service was fantastic. Extremely friendly and professional staff! The views are awesome! Empty this time of year. Humidity was icky but service and scenery well worth it! Only rained one evening. Sunny all other days despite threat of afternoon thundershowers which never materialized. Felt extremely safe in town, a mix of modern and old town...very nice. Free regular and reliable shuttles to town, stores, beach! No pressure for timeshare presentation from Audi! NOT TRUE at airport on arrival, walk right by those telling you your hotel wants you to stop, they are not associated with the Grand Miramar (GM). Keep walking, they are timeshare vamps! Be prepared for a lot of individual venders on beach and at storefronts but they can be simply turned away with a "No, thank you." The only dislike at GM what somewhat spotty wi-fi at the hotel but this was infrequent. Highly recommend safe bus trip or taxi to the Botanical Gardens and restaurant, Puerto Adventures (PA) Rhythms of the Night evening dinner and NYTimes recommended show and the Marietas Eco Discovery tour for snorkeling, scuba, kayaking, paddle boarding. ALL extremely fun and friendly and top notch service. This was truly a wonderful, relaxing and safe vacation. WE WILL RETURN TO THE GRAND MIRAMAR! There are additional PA tours I want to do and look forward to seeing the GM staff again soon!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

When we first arrived everyone was very prompt. We had our luggage carried in for us and were offered water very first. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgable. We were given restaurant and tour recommendations that were very helpful! The sky restaurant was delicious. Overall the staff and facilities were fabulous. I would definitely recommend this resort!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Beautiful views anywhere you look. The hotel has a fantastic view of the beautiful bay, it sits high on the mountain. There is no beach at the hotel, you have to take a shuttle to get there but the hotel has an agreement with a beach club. The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated. The Sky Lounge was our favorite place, we were there from breakfast, until the sun went down. This is a fabulous place to see some of the most breathtaking sunsets, while sipping your favorite drink. The food was very tasty and the service was great.
Vallarta has very good restaurants, so we also dined out on several ocasions.
In general, I would highly recommend this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manitou Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I'm swimming in the infinity lap pool at the Sky Lounge.

When I come up for air, I see nothing beyond the water to my right by ocean and jungle-covered mountains.

For a moment, I think: "This is how the rich people vacation. Who has this kinda view from their pool?!"

The Grand Miramar might not be for everybody, and it certainly has its drawbacks, but not only did we have a great vacation there, it changed our view of Puerto Vallarta for the better.

Our last stay in PV was a couple of years ago doing a timeshare trade into Villa del Palmar, a sprawling, dated hotel on the beach in the old hotel zone.

Miramar was everything Villa del Palmar wasn't. It's in the ritzy Conchas Chinas neighborhood. It 's a big hotel, but doesn't feel like a resort. And it's close to Zona Romantica, which is the coolest part of PV, even for straight folks like us.

But let me start from the beginning: As noted previously, the snakey drive up to the hotel is both crazy and impressive. The hotel, with its wavy, cruise-ship like facade, makes an impressive show upon arrival.

The lobby, not so much.

We checked in, and then we were directed to Audi, who introduced herself as our concierge. She showed us a map of the area and was extremely helpful giving us a lay of the land. Then, of course, she told us about the amazing room upgrade and other free stuff she had in store for us if we would attend a timeshare presentation. I HATE FAKE CONCIERGES! She was so sweet, but then turned mean, no longer playing on our greed but our kindness: "Can't you do anything to help me out here?" Really, since when did it say on my vacation contract, I gotta help YOU out?" Sorry, I digress, kinda.

We were shown to our room, a 2 bedroom unit on the first floor of the B building. Even on the 1st floor, you get a nice partial ocean view. But these are nothing like the elegant rooms with the hot tubs on the balconies you get if you go on the tour. (My wife won't go on another tour if they throw her free purses and shoes!)

So, nice, but you still get the sense that you're a bit of a second-class citizen here. Carlos, our bellhop, was so kind and helpful, though, that he almost single-handedly undid the damage done by Audi.

The pools are lovely, and the hotel was fairly empty so we had the run of them.

You may have noted that although this place isn't on the beach, it does have a "beach club" you can use: The Blue Shrimp.

A beach club? Really?

The Blue Shrimp is merely an overpriced beach-front restaurant with lounge chairs on the beach that we can sometimes use with our Grand Miramar bracelets. However, one evening, a waiter told us we can't stay unless we order something. We explained the cooperative arrangement the hotel has with the place. He came back and said we had to order something or leave. We sent him back again, gently explaining the situation before a manager came out and kicked us out.

To their credit, the Grand Miramar management was shocked to hear this.But still, second class citizen, people!

We rented a car for the week, and although the driving can be nuts, both in town and up that drive, it's better than relying on the shuttle and cabs. (Do beware that they tack on all kindsa charges onto what you think your daily car rental will be.)

I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot. (The wifi is spotty, the restaurants in the hotel can be hard to find, the hot tub's too cold, I never found the market... i can go on-- I'm from NY) But we had a great time.

The units (even the ghetto ones) are luxurious, covered with marble tile everywhere, with a long granite countertop in the kitchen. We made breakfast in the room everyday and ate it on the balcony (trying not to think about those who had hot tubs on THEIRS.)

The common areas of the hotel are wonderfully maintained, and the service, when it's not provided by a timeshare shark, is stellar.

I'd go back.

Room Tip: After your timeshare shark leaves, sneak back down and see if you can negotiate a better room. I did...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If location were the king of choice, this would be the emperor. Located high up at the end of a cobblestone road in the Conchas Chinas area of Puerto Vallarta, this resort is beautiful, and beautifully appointed. Everything about it, from the decor to the service, is worthy of the 5 stars I have given it. I know that some people consider the distance up the hill to be a problem, but why worry when you can take a taxi down to get to all the spots which are 5-7 minutes away? The neighborhood itself is beautiful, with wonderful private residences nestled up the curving road to this brand-new resort. Apart from the fact that there are few places that can match its view, there are few places in the more desirable southern part of Puerto Vallarta that can be had without having to accept the all-inclusive game to which the hotels in the area have succumbed. The resort does feature time shares, yes, but this is neither the exclusive part of the place nor the one that you have to spend much time considering. It features 3 pools and a jacuzzi in the public area between the three buildings above the lobby, and great big suites, including the magnificent master suites which have ample space, a great balcony with those fabulous views, a jacuzzi all your own, a finely-appointed kitchen, dining area, living area and large bedroom with ample closets, comfortable over-sized bed, and a nice bathroom. The air conditioning works very well, and the lighting is thoughtfully designed. This is a new property, so expect major developments, particularly with the restaurants, though the one we tried, at the top of building sea, called the Sky Miramar, features wonderful food and very friendly service, with an even more fabulous view stretching to the town on the one side and the Nayarit side of Vallarta.
The hotel also has a well-timed regular shuttle service into the Ola Altas section of the town, just off downtown, and a good place from which to walk to the Malecon (the boardwalk), via the River Cuale (Rio Cuale).
I've already reviewed Puerto Vallarta itself; it is the beautiful necklace around the neck of the largest bay in Mexico, Banderas Bay (the Bay of Flags, and thereby hangs a tale). The Grand Miramar is one of the lovely jewels in that necklace.
I highly recommend a visit to the Grand Miramar. You won't regret it. Tell them I sent you!

Room Tip: Anything in Building C.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I debated over giving the resort 5 stars but 4.5 is not an option. The place is beautiful, the service is great but the location, WHOA!!! The resort sits high on a hill near "Old Town" in Conchos Chinos. The views of the the city and the bay are spectacular but getting up the hill to the hotel is an adventure. Each cab driver charges a different price and during rainy season, which July is, it is the equivalent of buying a ticket on a rollercoaster ride. We did get one upgrade upon checking in but were told the rooms with the balcony jacuzzis were unavailable. Sounded believable, however, I can't recall seeing more than 10 other guests our entire stay.

We did not do the timeshare tour with Miramar but did get roped into one upon arriving at the airport. The tour provided us with all of our excusions (Rythms of the Night, Tropical Tour, Eden, ziplining and 400 usd) but we felt like we lost a day of our lives. ... WARNING... If you come across anyone from Vida properties, run don't walk in the other direction. My wife and I are owners and veterans of the "90 minute" presentations but I thought I was going to have to call the Mexican authorities to get us out of that place. It took us 3 hours to leave. I thought we were in a bad episode of Get Smart. Each time the said we were leaving, they would take us to another room, another person would enter and try to sell us the same room at a lower price. They even told me they could get me tickets to the Superbowl :) NICE

I digress. The resort is far from the marina and New Vallarta so you must factor in additional cab fare a time should you want to venture to the other side of the island. The resyauraunts in old town are good and inexpensive and the staff provided decent suggestions. Ask more than one employee. They is a free shuttle to the beach club. We felt harassed on the beach by vendors but I won't hold that against the resort.

Since there were not many guests we did not have a vibrant pool experince, The pool is well maintained and no problem getting chairs :). However, we didn't make any "vacation friends" this trip. The pool also has the same amazing view.

We used the coffee in the room, asked for more and they charged us 40 pesos which I told them was odd but I paid it so I guess I can't complain. Overall I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: High floor, get the upgrade the views are worth it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We truly stumbled upon the Grand Miramar Club & Spa while visiting Puerto Vallarta in June 2013. We were previously suppose to stay at another vacation rental, and due to the lack of A/C working properly we were able to get a room without a reservation at the Grand Miramar. We were so pleased with the customer service, the large airy open space rooms, and the views are amazing!

The resort during the month of June, was not over crowded. If you are looking for a spot to have a relaxing vacation and don't have an agenda to follow; this is the ideal place to allow yourself to decompress and just go with the flow.

Room Tip: I really like the difference of the Master suite from the junior suite, as it was only $100.00 dolla...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Miramar Club & Spa? Share your experiences!