“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa de los Arcos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa de los Arcos
You added Casa de los Arcos to your Saves list
Calle Hortencias 168 | Colonia Alta Vista, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
toronto
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

It was paradise! I've just returned to the frozen north from yet another fabulous stay at Casa de Los Arcos in Puerto Vallarta. I love the garden setting, the pool, the panoramic view of the entire Banderas Bay, the spacious outdoor terrace, and of course the charming and engaging hosts Susan and David. For me its the serenity and beauty that are the icing on the cake. Casa de Los Arcos is a wonderful place to relax, yet only minutes from the centre of Puerto Vallarta and all it has to offer. Simply the best!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have been there many times but this time took over the whole house with 12 members of our family! Had a wonderful cook that Susan and David arranged every second night and could not have had better time. Susan helped arrange some outings and gave us the run down on the best restaurants and excursions. Getting up every morning and looking at the view from each room is the greatest pleasure. Treat yourself to a week or two!!

Room Tip: My favourite is the Casita as it is the highest unit!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My partner and I have been staying with Susan and David at Casa de los Arcos for nearly ten years. We spend almost every Thanksgiving week with them, and just got back back from another wonderful week. We go back each year every year because Casa de los Arcos offers wonderful accomodations in a great location above the Zona Romantica, an amazing view with incredible sunsets, a great staff (Isabel and Carlos), and terrific hosts, all for an extremely reasonable price. We could not recommend it more highly!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I can honestly say that my expectations were exceeded by Susan and David. Upon arrival, Susan drove us to the local market to pick up necessities, brought us a pitcher of margaritas that evening, briefed us where to go and where to eat, was available at all times to answer questions and help out. David greeted us shortly after our arrival. We were invited upstairs one evening to their charming apartment one night and had a wonderful evening and view of the city. David took us for a tour of the bay in his boat one day - a truly memorable experience. To top if off, they drove us to the airport at their own time and expense - I have yet to meet anyone this hospitable and generous in my travels.

Incredibly generous and a joy to spend time with. The last time I was in Mexico was to Acapulco 20 years ago. This experience changed my mind about Mexico and I will definitely be going back to spend some time with David and Susan. If you're reading this review, STOP, go and book your reservation!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Casa De Los Arcos more than once. each time our experience was wonderful. We find David & Susan friendly, helpful, and always attentive to our wishes and concerns. The views are absolutely breathtaking, and provided an incredible backdrop to a very romantic vacation. The decor has a tasteful Mexican feel, with modern conveniences, so the best of both. taking us for start up groceries and welcoming us with an amazing margarita was well beyond the expected friendly service. one reason we chose this place was that it was a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag, and so when we were at the villa, it was tranquil, but when we wanted to be part of the vibe of the town, it was only a short walk there, or an inexpensive cab ride.(less than a star bucks cup of coffee) We will be back.

Room Tip: All room have a great view, some have more than one bedroom
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

My partner and I just returned from our stay here. I am dissapointed overall and will explain. We arrived for one night on the 4th and returned for 2 more nights from the 12th to the 13th of November 2011. We stayed in the Casita. It started out nice, our bags were carried up the 97 stairs from the street level to the room. Susan greeted us shortly after we arrived. She was not feeling well. She said she was not going to serve refreshments or snacks as usual because she was feeling ill. She did offer to take us into town to get some refreshments. She put us into a filthy dirty car she recently had re-paintd and it would not start. We switched into another dirty car and she took us downtown to a mini-mart. Not much of a tour, no personal shopping, but she was ill and they are repaving some of the streets which make it a bit of a challenge. We never met her husband David nor were we ever invited to their terrace for refreshments. They were up there enjoying it while we were there as we could hear them as it is directly above. There is a black cat that was able to enter our room through the iron gate as well as from roof tops and we found it in our room periodically and I am allergic to cats and had breathing difficulties while there probably because the cat was on the bed, sofa, chairs, countertops etc. when we were not there. housekeeping never made the bed on our 2 night stay nor did they bring fresh towels. We received 2 beach towels and one was soiled with what looked lie feces. We left a note advising of it upon our departure. The ceiling fan in the kitchen was inoperable due to severly warped fan blades. The one in the bedroom wobbled, and hummed and was annoying to say the least. The lamp on one of the night stand was broken in half, unplugged and remained that way during our stay. The shower head sprayed up at the ceiling,out onto the floor and was in need of replacing. We were told the A/C needed a key to turn on however it had a mind of it's own and turned on several times without us insering the key. Onthe final day of our stay, Susan came to the door and asked what time we were departing. We told her and she said said she would be back to see us off but she never returned. Today November 15th, I got an e-mail saying thank you for staying there and she was sorry she missed our departure and that she was going to drive us to the airport. I wish she would have told us that when she came down earlier that day. We were so looking forward to staying here but I have to say I will not return. It is very difficult to get to. The streets leading up to it are very steep, cobblestone, Certain areas are not adviseable to walk at night according to Susan and it just was not money well spent nor was the service and hospitality there. They recommend tipping a certain amount everyday and the only person I tipped was the gentleman that carried our bags up and down the stairs in 92 degree weather.

Room Tip: I was told I would be shown the other unoccupied units but that never happend either.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
pvsusan, Owner at Casa de los Arcos, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
We were very sorry to read the negative review posted, and feel badly that you were disappointed in your experience with us. It is not how we want guests to leave us. As I said in my email to you, I only wish that you had spoken to us while you were there.
I would like to address your concerns one by one.
As I told you upon your arrival, I was quite ill. In fact, when you left the next day, as you were only there for one night, I was at the doctor, and unable to say goodbye. My husband David was out of town, and no one else was available to take you to the store. I offered, as you stated to take you shopping, but, you said that you only wanted to pick up some beer, so, I took you to the local convenience store, and explained to you the short cuts to the beach and to town. I told you that one of the short cuts was not lit, and advised that you did not walk there at night as the path is very rocky, and uneven. I said that the walk down the street from our place was safe to walk.
I had just had the car painted, and the painters had not left it clean inside. Needless to say, being ill, I had not cleaned it out. I had no control of the fact that it did not start. Luckily I had use of another vehicle to take you down the hill.
On the second part of your stay which was a Saturday and Sunday night, you state that there was no housekeeping provided. On the sheet in the casita, it states clearly that our staff are here Monday through Saturday. There is no housekeeping on Sundays, as the staff are off that day. As most guests are with us over the course of a week, they enjoy housekeeping 6 out of the 7 days they are with us.
There is wire mesh on the door of the suite to keep animals out. All linens are washed regularly so it is doubtful that that there would be cat hair on the sheets or bed. I acknowledge that the cat followed me into your suite when I came to greet you and I am sorry if that caused you problems breathing.
We were on the premises from 5 pm the day of your return, and the full day Sunday. Over the course of Sunday, we looked for you to invite you for drinks with the other guests who had been invited that evening. You were out the entire day. Believe me, there was never an intention to exclude you.
We are mortified by the towel and can not fathom how that could have happened. Such a thing will never happen again, this, we can guaranty.
We will investigate the fan and the air conditioning problem as no one had ever complained about these problems, and the casita had been occupied most of the month of September and October. The blades of the fan, wilted after our long very hot summer. They are being replaced. I looked at the lamp, and it was not "broken in half" so, am a little confused by that.
I am sorry that we could not show you the other suites, but, there were guests in each suite, and I was unable to show them to you.
On the morning of the 13th, when you were leaving, I asked what time you were going to go.
You told me at noon. I was back by 11:40, planning to offer you a ride to the airport, but, you had already left.
Again, we are sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Susan and David when out of their way to make Puerto Vallarta a great experience. The suites are very comfortable and well appointed. The garden and terraces extend the sleeping quarters into the surrounding environment. There is no better view for the sunset or rise. The staff, Carlos and Isabel are very helpful.

Susan was of special help in searching out Fine Art Galleries, knows the best restaurants, and is knowledgeable about night life.

Robert and John

Room Tip: ALL rooms have excellent views of the setting sun, But, La Palapa, is my personal favorite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa de los Arcos? Share your experiences!