“Relaxing and Pampered Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta

You added Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av de las Garzas 3, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
London, Ontario
“Relaxing and Pampered Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2004

We stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise May 15 to May 22. We flew out of Toronto on WestJet (great flight). My husband had emailed the hotel prior to us coming and he had written that we were coming to celebrate my 40th birthday. Paula in Public Relations at the hotel responded to him with an upgrade to a "honeymoon" suite. We arrived after 3:00pm and taken to our room. For our first night we had a standard room on the 7th floor facing the pool and the bay. They had decorated the bed with fresh flower petals and there was a bottle of chilling champagne awaiting our arrival. The next day they moved us to one of the honeymoon suites with an indoor jacuzzi. This was on the ground floor, ocean front.
Both were great rooms, clean and quite large. AC worked very well.
This was a wonderful hotel, with attentive, prompt service. They really went above and beyond. We ate at Salvadors and the Paradise restaurants that you require reservations for. It is very painless here to make reservations. At other resorts you wait in long lines only to find that you can't get into the restaurant you'd like. Here you go to the beach towel/entertainment hut after 9:30 in the morning, look over the menus and choose what restaurant and what time you'd like your seating. Try the sexy coffee. Both of these restaurants prepare this, but the Paradise has Poly and he does do a great job. The food is really really good, smaller portions (which is a good thing) but they really want you to eat so they will make suggestions or just bring you more food. The mahi mahi grilled sandwiches at the breeze bar and the suishi there in the evenings is terrific. We tried room service for breakfast 3 mornings just to sit on our balcony and enjoy the view from our room. We didn't make it to the Factory Club for any of the shows - we sat in the breeze bar and met new friends.
We did the snorkelling at Marietas Island. It was too rough to snorkel but the day excursion was really nice. We also did the "rhythm of the night" tour to Las Caletas. This was beautiful. The meal was tasty, the show superb and the boat ride back to see the lights of Puerto Vallarta was very romantic. One couple from Washington State got engaged while on the island it was such a romantic spot. We booked through the hotel with Vallarta Adventures.
We went downtown to the Malecon a few times and enjoyed the music festival that was taking place. Ate at a couple of wonderful local restaurants (No Name Cafe and Zapatas).
We met some great people from Kimberly BC, Vancouver BC, Angola New York, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Quincy Illinois. We heard the canopy tour was awesome and the city tour was informative and a nice day out.
Our only fault with the place is the time share folks and the vendors. The time share people are everywhere - the airport and even situated in the lobby of the hotel. When you go into town you are bugged constantly.
The vendors are allowed on the beach because it is a public beach. They stand by the pool and pace around the breeze bar to get your attention to buy their specials.
The staff at the hotel go out of their way to make your stay memorable and enjoyable. We are already planning our next holiday there.
If you have any special requests prior to going email Paula Castro in Public Relations and she will assist you, she is a very kind hearted, lovely person who certainly loves her job and does it very well.
Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

Two couples all in our early thirties stayed at the Crown for a week in April 2004. The rooms, hotel, beach, pool and compound were extremly clean. There was always food and drinks available. In our opinion it all taste the same when you travel to these countries - this was better then most. The "Swimming Pool" was my favorite drink! From having walked around as far as location goes this is one of the best hotels to stay at. The adult only feature was nice as it was quite. The sister hotel next to it is mostly families, but it was nice to have the option of using two facilities. The pool is so clean and so warm - one day they had to ask them to turn the heat down. We felt safe walking around and it is very close to a market - the best one to go to, but pick a day when there are no Cruise Ships docked. We would stay here again if we went back to Puerta Vallarta. We like the blue water and white sand so we probably won't come back to this part of Mexico.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2004

My stay at the crown paradise was great!!!! I've been to many hotels throughout Mexico and Crown Paradise has been the best by far......The service is great here (Please remember to tip these poor guys a few bucks they only make $130.00 every two weeks).....You will get the same service whether you tip or not!!!! You'd never see someone in the U.S. work as hard as these people do and to not give them a few dollars is just ignorant!!!!Anyways the restaurants are great and if you want to go out to eat one night go to 'EL SET' it is in the mountains and the veiw is beautiful......try to go during sunset hours and remember a camera.....The best part about this hotel is there are no kids.....It was really nice taking a vacation without my kid but I think if kids were there I would of missed my kid more.....And also its nice not to here any whinny kids when your on vacation or some drunk young teenagers getting totally out of control because they are allowed to consume alcohol.....So if you like to eat and/or drink All-Inclusive is the way to go......and Crown Paradise is the best All-Inclusive around.....Oh, yeah I forgot to mention they have 24-hour room service and their is a club accross the street that there is no cover charge and drinks are free all night!!!!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2004

We stayed at Crown Paradise in Fall of 2003. Beautiful rooms and a clean beach made it a great stay. Food was good, and service in the formal restaurants was five-star. Service at the casual restaurant was spotty (good sometimes, slow or non existent at others). Overall, it was a good time and I will be back.

St. Catharines, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2004

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Puerto Vallarta. I’ll try to keep this report brief but informative as I know trip reports were very useful for me in planning my holiday! Thank you to all the previous posts!

Hotel
Rooms were spacious and have a good size shower. We upgraded to the honeymoon suite so of course we had no complaints. It’s too bad they don’t have fridges in regular rooms but they do have ice buckets which the bar will gladly fill for you. Maids pick up towels in the AM and then clean the room midday. Clean towels are dropped of later in the day.

Pool
The pool was large enough to accommodate everyone even when activities were going on. Loungers were reserved early – however if you’re not picky about where you sit there is always a free chair. Water temp was good – not too cold, not too warm. Music was a mix of American and Mexican. Drink service at the pool was good. Empty glasses and ashtrays collected regularly. A lot of people brought air mattresses which were lots of fun!

Beach
The beach was nice, waves were quite strong. It was a little rocky at the waters edge but a few feet out the ocean floor is soft and sandy. There were always lounge chairs free on the beach. There are quite a few vendors but they don’t persist after you say no thanks. Parasailing is offered in front of the hotel for $40US and seems to be very popular.

Weather
April was a dry month – not one drop of rain on our trip. Every morning started off hazy and grey but by 11 AM the sun was shining and skies remained clear until the next morning. You never needed a sweater however the AC in the restaurants made me glad I brought a light cardigan.

Room Service
Room service is great! What a treat! They messed up our order a few times but I think it was a language barrier over the phone. Regardless – any room service is good room service!

We enjoyed all of our meals. The Bellavista was surprisingly good as were all restaurants. I enjoyed the banana pancakes and scrambled egg stuffed croissants for breakfast not to mention the fresh papaya juice. Poly and his sexy coffee made the Paradise our favorite restaurant. I loved the citrus salmon and the shrimp medallions with cous cous. We enjoyed the casual atmosphere and the view. Salvadores was excellent as well – a little fancier than the others. All restaurants change their menus daily.

Drinks
I found drinks a little strong so I asked them to go easy on me! My favorites were the snowball and the swimming pool!

Entertainment
We really enjoyed the free shows every night at the Factory Club across the street. The staff amazed us at how they could work all day and then dance and entertain every night. We loved the show Spectacular on Sat night – wow!

Facilities
You can get a massage at the pool or in the salon. The gym is quite nice with modern equipment. They have water sports available but never saw anyone using the equipment. You can buy stamps at the gift shop for post cards. Staff will hail a cab for you within seconds anytime you want to go anywhere.

Location
Location is great. It is a 25 peso cab ride (10 min walk) to Walmart, 30 peso cab ride to the Malecon and a 2 minute walk to the cruise ship marina. Buses are cheap if you prefer. The marina has loads of shops and despite posts I read you can still get a great price on days when the ships are in. I ventured to the Vallarta Marina about a 5 minute drive away and was a little disappointed. A few shops similar to what you would find in a hotel lobby, some restaurants and a lighthouse. Nice but the time share people here were more aggressive than anywhere else. We stayed only a few minutes and left. I’m sure drinks or dinner at the top of the lighthouse at sunset would be worth the trip however.

Tours
The only tour we did was the all day city tour which we booked through our Air Transat rep at a cost of about $40 p/p including lunch. What a great day this was! We saw so many things – an excellent value for the money. We would have missed lots of great spots if it weren’t for this tour. A lot of our friends did the Rhythm of the Nights tour and loved it. The canopy tour was also popular.

Timeshare
They are everywhere but we didn’t find them bothersome except for at the marina with the lighthouse.

Info and Tips
A lot of people brought insulated mugs to keep drinks from getting warm by the pool. We went through more sunscreen than we thought we would – bring lots and bring a high SPF in case you get burned. Walmart is the cheapest place to buy booze and cigarettes. A bottle of Khalua was $8US and Marlboros were $17. Sunscreen here was about $6-12US depending on the brand. They have yummy pastries in the bakery at Walmart as well! American money is accepted everywhere just as easily as pesos. The market downtown has about 2000 vendors so wear comfy shoes and be prepared to shop till you drop!

Overview
We loved the Crown Paradise and loved Puerto Vallarta. The resort and staff were great! The city was relatively clean and safe and there are loads of places to shop, eat or just relax. It was a great trip and much preferred over my last three holidays to the Dominican Republic and Cancun. Feel free to email me with any questions – judihartlin@hotmail.com

• Stayed April 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2004

I have been a Crown Paradise "funk" since I came back. Four of us wild and crazy women had the opportunity to stay at the C.P. from March 29 -April 6th. Without a doubt, I enjoyed every aspect of the resort and the town of PV. The rooms were well kept and the bathroom large and fresh. No musty, mildew-y smell that I have experienced in other Mexican hotels. The waves were music to my ears every night and the salty, warm breezes were awesome.

I had a great time sitting down on the beach and schmoozing with the vendors. Af first, it was a bit off-putting but after a while I really looked forward to finding a few new friends selling their wares, like Arturo and Roman.

The Breeze bar on the beach whipped a great drink- thanks to Alfonso. He was so awesome and personable and really went the extra mile for my friends and I. I give him a "10".

Salvatore's was another place where the people really made it a great place. Carlos, Jorge, Vinzente and Minerva really were fabulous and the food was incredible. I wouldn't even waste my time going to Paradise.

To sum it up: Great place, great view, great food, FANTASTIC staff.

I am already plotting to go back-SOON.

Toronto, Ontarion
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2004

Ok, here we go. I read a lot of reviews about this resort before booking and thought I new what I was getting. Here is the lowdown....I just returnd on April 18/04. The appearance of the hotel is pretty nice. The greeting is nothing spectacular, but they make you feel welcome upon arrival with a cool cloth and a tropical drink (although the drink was not bery cold, but more on that later). The check in was pretty painless and the brought our bags up to our room no problem. We stayed in an ocean view room which was nice but nothing spectacular. It was clean and the bathroom was big which was nice. They take a while to clean the rooms during the day which was a bit of a pain as well. The beach is nice except for the constant soliciting from the vendors. They get the message when you say no, but they are constantly there trying to sell you everything from tatoos to cheap t-shirts. The beach is actually pretty busy with the parasailing and banaboats and jet skis running right in front of the hotel. It is not a problem getting a spot on the beach, but the pool is another story. Unless you get up at 6 in the morning to put out your towels you will not get a seat that has any shade. The pool is also ---- warm (kinda like most of the drinks). I guess the biggest dissapointment was the food. We chose this resort because of the 3 al carte restaurants. We figured if a buffet was bad you would be limited since it is the same everyday. Well, the restaurants here are not very good. Salvadores would be the best, but even that is so so. Paradise was absoluitely awfgul. The night we booked was because of the menu selection and when we got there the menu had changed. My steack tasted and smelled like fish and the white wine was closer to gasoline than alcohol. The service was terrible and overall ruined our evening. The breakfasts in the morning were probably the only real palatable food there, and even that is a stretch. We ended up going out of the resort for dinner the reaminder of our time there. Two recommendatins in town are The Bistro (international menu and also live Jazz) and Pipi's is great for mexican - the portions are big sop order carefully. Back to the hotel. The staff are good - they do their best with limited resources. Although the male staff seem to zero in on the pretty young girls and provide them with most of the attention. The music around the pool was often way too loud and sucked - I think most people would be fine with no music. As well, the hotel next door is so close that you often here their crappy music too. In conclusion I would go back to PV but not to any of the all inclusives along this stretch - I think you would get better value for your dollar flying down and staying at a hotel and going for dinner each night in PV proper. Great little city with friendly people, good shops and good food. Be careful of the timeshare scams, they are everywhere and will do whatever they can for you to talk to them - they are at the airport to and if you are not careful you could end up stuck with them for a long time. Also remeber that this is a still primarily a third world country and the 4 or 5 star rating should be taken with a grain of salt ( a large grain). Hope this helps.

Been to Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!