“2nd time here. Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta

You added Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av de las Garzas 3, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #63 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, Washington
“2nd time here. Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is probably the least costly all inclusive (all drinks and food and room). They have numerous restaurants to choose from but the food ranges from really good to not so good. There are 3 outdoor bars. You can get a couple of green tickets to eat at the next door restaurants also the Blue Shrimp and Si Senors in town honors them (drinks and tips extra there). The staff is probably THE FRIENDLIEST IN TOWN. The pool is large and the bathrooms large with deep tile tubs. Great views from the rooms. You get two complimentary bottles of water each day. The kitchens are dated but who cares you get all you want to eat anyway. The only down rating I would give it is the gym. The weight equipment needs replacement.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Lorilee505:

Thanks for coming back to Golden! We are glad to know that you enjoy everytime here. Your comments are very important to us, that's why they are shared with the GM.

I would like to invite you to follow us on Facebook so you can know all our updates and promos.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. We will be more than happy to welcome you one more time in this your home away from home.

Maricruz Montes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Before we even arrived at this hotel, we found the staff helpful and courteous. We were travelling to celebrate a special birthday and the hotel staff did everything they could to ensure it was fantastic. We had read the reviews before we travelled and some of them had left us feeling a little apprehensive. However, we really needn't have worried because whatever we were unhappy with, (and yes, there were a couple of small issues) were dealt with quickly and efficiently. It is fair to say that the rooms at this hotel need to be updated and some of them have a damp smell, (mainly due to the high levels of humidity) but when we spoke to Marie Cruz (chief concierge) and Antonio (front desk manager) we were quickly moved to a room that didn't have this problem. The other areas of the hotel, eg. pool, restaurants, bars were excellent and the food was wonderful with superb table service. Every meal was made special because of the attentive, friendly service provided by the waiters who not only remembered you but also remembered the specific dietary likes and dislikes. A particularly friendly face always greeted us when dining in either Salvadors or in the Paradise restaurant and made us feel like we were VIPs...thank you Jose! Pauli's 'sexy coffee' at the French restaurant is a must and shouldn't be missed. The only criticism of the food was that the menu was a bit repetitive and could have been changed more often. We also really feel that Wifi should be much better at the hotel and should not have to be paid for. Nevertheless, we would definitely go back...thank you to all of the staff for making our time so amazing.
A note to anyone planning to book this hotel and worried because of some of the reviews: This hotel offers 5 star service, is staffed by some of the friendliest, most helpful staff that we have ever encountered on our (extensive) travels and the location is fabulous with stunning views and sunsets. The value for money should not be underestimated. We were the only couple there from London probably because there are no direct flights to Puerto Vallarta from the UK but it really is worth the effort. Have a fantastic time...we did!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a higher up room (3rd floor and above) ocean view Don't forget to tip if...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Gill B:

First of all, I want to thank you for taking some of your time to share your experience with us. It is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed your time here. Our goal is create lasting memories and is an honor to know we achieved that with you.

Your opinion is very important to us, your comments were shared with the GM in order to improve in our areas of opportunity.
Feel welcome to comeback any time to this your home away from home.

Best Regards,
Joplin, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at Golden Crown Paradise at least 13 times. They are always friendly and everything is in order. Only one time did we request a different room after we got to ours. I have been with large groups and as few a just two of us. If you are expecting a large or new resort this is not the place for you. Some of the staff had been there for quite a few years. Be polite and respectful and they will be the same with you. We do tip extra but not on the first day usually. Enjoy the city!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LilSis66:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We are very happy that you still enjoy your times at Golden. All our guests comments are important and are shared with our GM.

Thank you so much for your loyalty, our goal is create lasting memories and is very rewarding to know that we made it so many times with you!!

We hope to see you soon in this your home away from home.

Aurora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Mom & I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Golden Crown in PV, adults only side. The staff were friendly and helpful and Mom had no trouble getting around in her walker. There were ramps and elevators throughout the complex and lots of clean washrooms. We especially enjoyed the large jacuzzi pool with swim-up bar where we met our friends on a daily basis. I always felt safe at the resort and would even enjoy a nightcap at the bar after Mom retired. Being a woman alone, this could be a risky venture... But I never had a problem and met many interesting travelers. The only problem we had was going on a sunset cruise. While nothing terrible happened, we did not feel safe. Book your cruises through the hotel, not beach or street vendors!
We are planning our next trip and will return to the Golden Crown.

• Stayed January 2013
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose the Golden Crown Paradise based on a recommendation from our travel agent. We got a great deal from Costco Travel but then started reading the reviews and got nervous. People seem to either love it or hate it. We were in the latter camp - here are some helpful tips to make your stay better if you are in the same boat. (Caveat: we stayed at a full five-star all-inclusive in Cancun last year, plus we live in Seattle surrounded by incredible restaurants and great wine, which definitely contributes to our two-star rating of GCP.)

Airport/Transfer – the transfer was included in the Costco package. Easy to avoid the shark tank, just keep walking until you are almost outside. I actually walked all the way outside and the husband had to run after me when he found the Gray Line representative, who got us a taxi immediately. Meet the Gray Line rep the next morning at the hotel to book your return transfer. They may try to sell you a tour – do it!

Check in – nothing special. They brought us a cool drink. We had upgraded to the jacuzzi room, and it was ready. The wifi charge was a bit obscene at $75 US a week, but we had brought both our ipad’s and figured it was worth it. We had pre-paid for our trip, of course, so I found it amusing that they wanted us to pay for the wifi up front with a credit card. They don’t give you a map of the resort (it’s pretty small, but I found it a little confusing to get around), and NO RESTAURANT GUIDE! Anything telling us the food options up front would have been nice.

Room – the room was clean and somewhat spacious. The view was absolutely incredible with a spectacular view of the ocean and a balcony. There were towel swans on the bed, and a nice note from the manager wishing us well on our anniversary. (Addressed to Mr. and Mr., we are heterosexual with different last names but a plus that they are so welcoming of gay couples!) There was a mini fridge which was empty. They supply 2 bottles of water per day and charge 10 pesos for extra. There was no robe and slippers as promised in our package – we asked the front desk the next day and got a robe but no slippers. The floor is tile and a bit cold…and very sandy after the first day. The maid service was reliable for us – we generally spent all day out so we didn’t notice if they came late or not. We left $2 US per day, but no more swans and sometimes even no clean water glasses. I don’t think there is an ice machine – I think you have to order from room service.

Food – we absolutely hated the food at the resort. First of all, it was really hard to figure out where we could eat and what was open. Eventually we figured out the GCP restaurants Paradise and Salvadore’s which require reservations, the casual dining restaurants Bella Vista and Los Gallos, and the poolside grill and the Beach Breeze Bar. You also receive 2 green coupons that get you a reservation at the restaurants at the sister resort Crown Paradise: the French, Japanese, and Italian restaurants. You have to make same-day reservations at Paradise, Salvadore’s, and the three at CP, which entail getting up in the morning and lining up at 9am or before to get a good time. Basically most of the food is awful. The reservations restaurants are all pretty bad, but the Japanese one is putrid. Don’t waste your time…the menu is horrific. Or go if you like “Oriental Cheese Balls” or Faux Sushi. In desperation I asked for *real* fish and I think they might have been willing to bring me smoked salmon but we decided to leave. Most people loved the French restaurant, and we heard the Italian restaurant was good. Definitely get the “Sexy Coffee” available at Salvadore’s or Paradise, which is out of this world! There is a dress code for the restaurants…we dressed in cocktail attire but were somewhat overdressed. They had great pork tacos at the pool grill. The beach bar had OK paninis but the “sushi” was horrible. Lots of rice and indistinguishable vegetables and faux cream cheese. Yikes! About 6 days in, we figured out that they had seatings at 6:30, 7, 8:45, and 9:30…I think that was why the reservations filled up so quickly. Remember if you have reservations at 6:30 you will miss the sunset! We went to Soriano’s, a large grocery store very close to the resort to stock up on water, cheese, meat and crackers also. The room service was pretty awful – picture a sketchy bar and their happy hour menu. Food was pretty dry and inedible. My favorite meal was breakfast – the breakfast buffet at Bella Vista was OK and they had a wonderful omelet station where you could get eggs cooked to order. You could also order off the menu in the outdoor seating and they had a rotating breakfast menu with a couple of authentic Mexican breakfast items (Oaxaca eggs & tamales etc.). However, it is really sporadic…one of the guests loved the eggs benedict so I ordered it the next day. However my eggs were poached HARD and the hollandaise was under a heat lamp so long it was practically scrambled. But overall we are foodies so there you go.

Pool/beach – there was one large pool that we enjoyed. However, getting one of the beach chairs was sometimes a challenge. You could definitely get up early and put your towel down on one before 9am to get a great spot. Inevitably it seemed I would do this and be surrounded by smokers…Mexican locals, Americans and Canadians alike! As an ex-smoker I’m a bit sensitive and it was tough to ignore. The beach was very nice and not rocky. There were chaise lounges but for those you really had to be out by 7am to get a good spot. Everything you have read about the vendors is true, and it is also true with a pleasant “no, gracias” they will move on. There were so many, and they would come to the Beach Breeze Bar as well. The water in the pool and the ocean was wonderful and a highlight of the trip. Although, there was no lifeguard and it was a bit hard to tell whether there was a red flag up.

Tipping – since we knew we were going to be comparing to a five-star resort, we decided up front we would tip generously, even though gratuities are supposedly “included”. We tipped the maid (all US) $2 per day, $1 per drink, and $2-5 for dinner. In my opinion the service was pretty spotty all around, and if we hadn’t tipped at all I sensed we would get the same service. Our room was cleaned but nothing special. The wait to get a drink by the pool was very spotty to the point of being ignored. Perhaps we weren’t tipping enough?

Activities – they seemed to have several activities although we didn’t participate much. I think there was a daily list of activities but since we didn’t take the elevator we didn’t know what was happening. There was water volleyball and seemed to be other events like paddleboarding or yoga although we didn’t observe them. There is a “nightclub”, Club Nitro which you can go to as part of the resort each night. We only went once for the Magic night which was cute. The activities staff work in the morning, take reservations and then you can see them perform at Club Nitro so I’m not sure when they got a break!

Tours – definitely do the 2 for 3 tours with Outdoor Vallarta. We did the Las Caletas excursion – very relaxing with snorkeling, cooking paella, seeing monkeys and parrots, nature hike, etc. I would do the Rhythm of the Night tour (also on Las Caletas…do these on different days), and a ziplining tour. I suppose you can get a discounted price or free if you do the horrible time share presentation, or find a cheaper bargain but we paid full price ($93US per person) and it was worth it. The tours pretty much include everything including all the drinks.

Downtown PV – simply the best part of our vacation. A bus to the Malecon was 6.5 pesos and a bargain, and the taxi is $5US. Walking around seeing the art, culture, food and vibrancy of PV was wonderful. We went several times, and since I’m a bridge player I played bridge at the PV Bridge Club located in Oscar’s Restaurant. If we had to do it over again, we’d get a condo in downtown PV eat cheaply and deliciously every night downtown.

Safety – we travelled right after the cruise ship passengers were robbed at gunpoint. I felt completely safe the whole time we were there, and loved going downtown even at night. There is a safe in the room which we used and is big enough for both our iPads and wallets etc. I was incredibly careless and left my 10k wedding ring in the room one time when I went to breakfast. After I remembered I ran back to the room and saw that the maid was already there cleaning, but my ring was right where I left. The last night we went for a walk after dark on the beach, and I left my nike flip flops on one of the beach chaise lounge chairs. We came back and the hubby’s cheap flip flops were still there but mine were gone…think some locals were walking the beach and took them. Well much rather the flip flops than the wedding ring LOL!

Weather – we were there from 3/2 – 3/9, and the weather was PERFECT the entire time. Sunny, glorious, and 80+ every day. The sunsets were glorious and romantic.

Gym – we didn’t use it, but it is pretty tiny!

City tour – we didn’t go. Sounds like it is kind of a waste of time if you are planning to go downtown and explore by yourself. I heard there was a Tequila factory that might have been fun. But not enough to be on a bus for 6-8 hours held captive with an expensive lunch you have to pay for.

Check out – we didn’t owe anything at check out, I really liked that this place was truly all-inclusive and we didn’t need to spend any additional money other than tips and souvenirs and tours. We tried to extend our check out by 2 hours, but when I asked at the front desk he said there were people waiting to check into our room (and I believed him!). We left our bags with the bellboy in the courtesy room and there was no problem, and there were showers in the room also.

Overall – we will not return but we can see how some couples enjoy it. For us, the bad food, crowded pool area, beach crawling with vendors, and so-so attitude of the staff turned us off. (This trip was during March 2012.)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear gerbera222:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Is very important that we know what your perception about our hotel is, also helps us to know our areas to improve.

I am really sorry that you couldn't experience the real warm welcoming from our staff. We have a very high number of returning guests because of our staff, they are very friendly and we try to make everyone feel like home.

Your comments are very important to us, that's why they were shared with the GM to follow-up.

We invite you to give us a second chance to feel the real warmth and friendliness of our staff , also the true quality of our services. We will make you feel as in your home away from home.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just came back from a fun trip at the GCP. We had a blast there was a large group (16 of us total) it was wonderful. There were a couple of things that I was a little dissappointed about. Being this was my 5th time back.. I expected the same service as before. So when it did not happen I did feel a little well.. I dont want to say put off.. but more like hmmm what happened? Again not a big deal, still a great time but here are the things we were used.

1. When our group arrived we were not greated with the fruity drink or towel as in the past(and they knew well in advance we were coming. I even sent out a reminder the day before just so they would be prepared for a large group coming in ) however, the groups that arrived after us did receive that. After a long flight and the heat that would have been nice.

2. Our air conditioner was not working.. it needed to be repaired and even after the repair it was not as cool as we would have liked it to be.

3. On my husbands birthday last time there was a little pastry with happy birthday waiting in the room. This time there was not.

4. There was no sign outside my door that said Casa Rodriguez as in the past.

5. The only working elevator for our tower ended up breaking down and going up and down 5 flights of stairs in the heat.. not bueno. Luckily it was fixed pretty quickly and we only needed to do that a couple of times

again the above stuff not a big deal and I know I sound like a spoiled brat.. but hey its a review and I want to do it in an honest way.

Now aside from that everything was perfect. The weather, the people, the food, it was amazing. Our group is already talking about doing it again!

It was a bit hot and I was litterally praying for rain.. and mother nature finally delivered late Saturday night. Not before getting burnt to a crisp friday during the day and saturday. I used sunscreen but obviously did not reapply nearly enough.

My brother and sister in law renewed their vows on the beach and it was a beautiful and the ceremony was well done.

Loved the all adult aspect of this resort. There were a lot of people there but it never felt crowded, guests and staff were all freindly. We all had a touch of an upset stomach when we got home. Perhaps the food, the sun, the drinks perhaps the tequllia flu who knows. Regarless, Good times were had all around looking forward to doing it all over again!

mental note... do not run out of sunscreen.. I ran out and had to use my friends on the last day of our trip. I was going to buy some but it was over 20.00 (USD) per bottle. I could not see me paying that much $ for something i can buy at home for 8 bucks. Luckily our group was large and unlike myself people brought more then 1 bottle. Phew thank goodness!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My cousin and I. Spent a week here in July of 2013. Our room was on the 7th floor and was more than adequate. Like everyone says you only get two bottles of water a day, but we stashed some on excursion days and we had plenty. Free room safe worked great. Wi-if at the resort is a joke, but the little bakery out the front of the resort to the right was free with a $5 purchase. We had a nice view of the beach and ocean. I wish we would have paid for beach front.

The pool is overall small and warm. We enjoyed the little time we were in there though. Side chairs poolside were easy to obtain. There was limited poolside bar service. The vendors were persistent, but not as bad as we heard it would be. We actually got a zip line tour for $40 each (10 lines).......first timers and way cool.

Bar service was great. Anything we asked for specifically we got. Pool table right by the main bar closest to the lobby. We had a blast playing, but the table is not level and people laugh at you. I will be honest and say that it bothered me at times, but there were many gay couples here. We met several of them and enjoyed talking, but the overly affectionate people (gay or otherwise) is something I do not like to watch. Bar tenders said that the gay scene was abnormally high during our stay. It wasn't bad, just new for me after being in PV so many times.

As far as the food, I liked all meals but one and that was the breakfast at the sister resort. Every place has a menu. If you don't like what's on the menu, especially at breakfast, ask for it. Bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns aren't on the menu, but if you ask for it you will get it. The lunch pork tacos are amazing.

With that said we met so many great people on the trip. That is what made the trip for us. The adult only aspect was my first and I will look for it in the future. Club Nitro across the street was very lame in our opinion. Visit the Marina for souvenirs (4 t-shirts for $20). Cruise ships aren't being let in until October I believe, which means great prices. Wal-Mart is a short walk across the street for essentials. When you pay in dollars you get pesos in exchange, but the plus is that it's at the bank rate (highest exchange possible at that exact moment). We would return.

We walked to the Malecon, but its a heck of a walk and only costs 70 pesos each way. It was a good did it once and probably never again adventure.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Hey, have a great vacation no matter where you go!

Room Tip: Go ocean front or ocean side (highest room possible)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!