“Can't Wait to Go Back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta

You added Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av de las Garzas 3, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #56 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary, Canada
“Can't Wait to Go Back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My friend has been here 6 times before and convinced me it was a great trip, and wow the GCP didn't disappoint! We were upgraded to an oceanview room on arrival for no real discernable reason (maybe this being my friend's 7th stay) which was a nice start. We were greeted warmly. Our room was spacious and kept incredibly clean all week long, even with two messy girls staying in it. Our room was so close to the beach and was beautiful to wake up to in the morning! We ate well, there is a fantastic assortment of restaurants, not one of them served me something I didn't like (and I'm very picky about food). There is a nice breakfast buffet in the morning that serves every kind of breakfast you can imagine...freshly made omelettes and waffles, pancakes, cereal, fruit, mexican food, you name it. You can also eat on the family side of the resort which also has some nice restaurants with fantastic food (but if you aren't into children you'll want to get out of there quickly). Fortunately the French restaurant doesn't allow children under 8. The pool isn't big but it's big ENOUGH for the size of the resort and was never overcrowded. You can always get a lounger but not always a cabana.....be prepared to get up at six in the morning to get one. Jerks like to go and put down a towel or a water bottle to 'reserve' it and then go back to bed until 10 am. I advise the resort to come up with a better system because I witnessed a few altercations over this. Otherwise, the poolside drink service was FANTASTIC (thanks Antonia), and occasionally they would break out some volleyball or tequila volleyball, or water aerobics.......often led by some eye candy (wink). There about 3 bars on the GCP side (incl pool bar), and then Club Nitro across the street that belongs to the resort. Its not really busy in there usually unless they have one of their shows on, which is usually family entertainment that draws a lot of locals and kids who all drain out by 9:30 or 10:00. However the staff there are great and kept our drinks coming and allowed us to take stupid pictures with them constantly lol. It's a good place to start drinking and meet people that you can go out with later. The one great thing about this resort is that it is small so you constantly run into the same people and so if you're a social person it's a great place to be. I met a lot of cool people on this trip just from being at Club Nitro or in the pool. The staff really do remember you and your name and the service was always friendly and prompt, and often they go above and beyond. Our server Jose at Bella Vista noticed my friend was sick and brought her chamomile tea and honey without her asking. So awesome! I could write about how impressed I am with GCP all day but just know I'm already booking a return trip for a longer stay!
Criticisms? A couple. The cabana issue for one, they need a better system to reserve these. Club Nitro needs to do something to get people to actually go over there AND want to stay and have a good time. Its a bit further from downtown but it's not the hotel's fault....just know that you're paying about 60 pesos in cab fare everytime you go down. Also you can only get into some of the restaurants by reservation and if you haven't reserved by 9 am on a busy day, forget about it. If you do get in though, the food is worth it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We enjoyed our seven day stay at this resort. We were prepared for all the vendors based on the reviews we read on trip advisor. Most of the vendors were very nice when you said no. Some came back several times during the day to ask again which got annoying. The vendors did not come into the pool area so if they annoy you go to the pool. This resort was all adult and we really enjoyed that! We could and did go next door to the sister resort for breakfast and meals. They did a good job of keeping the resort clean. The salsa served on the buffet for lunch and dinner was really good. BEWARE they will try to sell you a time share and they are really sneaky about how they go about it. You can do as much or as little as you want here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean front had lovely views of the ocean and the beautiful sunsets. Everyone had to s...
portland,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Over the past 12 yrs. we have stayed at the GCP 5 times. We were first attracted to this property because it is" adults only' and that was a blessing. The sister hotel, next door, the Crown Paradise allows children. It is amazing that when you arrive as a returning client the bellmen staff recognizes your face and in our case even calls me by Spanish nickname, Lalo. The GCP is certainly not the fanciest hotel in PV. Those are located in Nuevo Vallarta, but because of the location and value it is certainly one of the best all enclusive resorts to consider when planning a trip to Puerton Vallarta.

Room Tip: Consider upgrading to an ocean front room as opposed to the main hotel highrise with a partial ocean...
Wakaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When we first arrived, I confess we were a bit disappointed. Our impression was that the Golden Crown had seen its day and we questioned the cost (roughly 4500.00 flight included through WestJet) of our 2 week vacation. The cost was equivalent to other resorts that were much more secluded with larger rooms, better grounds and better amenities. This was our first time at Puerto Vallarta and we were not prepared for a busy city of its size. Over the 2 weeks, we have come to value the resort for a number of reasons, but first, I would like to talk about its limitations.

The resort is old and shows its age. We missed a walk in shower as opposed to the crawl in one. The bathroom is rather crowded. Unless you go really high end on your room at a cost of more that an additional 60.00 per night you will not have a fridge. One large pool means it is difficult to find a quiet place. There is a very limited drink service around the resort. I did not see any staff cleaning the pool during our stay. The rooms are not sound proofed and so depending on your floor and others, you may end up sleep deprived.
There is no buffet in the Golden Crown, but the sister resort has one with a very definite Spanish/Mexican menu.

So where is the value?
In general, the staff is very friendly and any maintenance issues we had were delt with promptly.

The al le carte's made the difference for us. The food and service was as good as we have experienced at 5 star resorts. Our favourite's were Salvador's and the French. The French is located at the sister resort and you are limited to 3 visits over the 2 weeks, which is unfortunate. The reservation system is very simple. you are allowed to reserve daily or one day in advance by phone during a 6 hour period and we had no difficulty getting a desired time.

The beach, weather and ocean were fantastic. It was undoubtedly the best we have been at with a wonderful view and good bottom for swimming. Unfortunately, expect to be swarmed all day with very aggressive trinket venders that can get to you after a while. We have never experienced anything like it.

Into week two of our stay the hotel started to grow on us and we forgot to miss some of the amenities we had missed. The weather certainly helped with that.

I know trip advisor rates this as a 4 star, but i have difficulty with that. We would rate it generously as a 3.5

Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a great time here! The view from our room was great and we thought the food was also good. The server Benji was very helpful and attended to our needs. Lots to do and the staff always have events happening. One tip, Stay clear of the information desk! They are not there to help with anything but selling you a time share. The deals are not worth it! Go down the street to see Victor at Vallarta Adventures, he will help you without trying to sell you anything.

Wylie, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was MY first time there, but I was with a large group of people that have been going there for years. I thought it was very nice, except for the sewer smell in the rooms and the beds that were hard as a brick. The majority of the staff was very kind and attentive, however... The "Manager" needs some serious training on people skills. One of the people in our group went to her room to find other guests in her room. They had packed up all of her items and cramed them into her suitcase. This was clearly an error at the front dest, as they gave this other couple the key to a room that was already occupied, but all the Mgr. would say is, "oh, I'm sorry." REALLY??? That's it?? The pool was wonderful, the bar and wait staff were wonderful, except for the guy at the front desk that tries to sell you a timeshare (annoying). We loved PV, but not sure that we would go back to this specific hotel.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are great. You can still see the ocean from EVERY room. I would not pick the first...
Regina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my wife initially visited GCP, in November of 2011 for our Honeymoon. We knew almost instantly that in the future we would return to this resort with friends in tow.

At last from April 12 to 19 of 2013 my wife and I were able to return with my brother, sister and a family friend. My first review of this resort was titled “It will be hard for them to top themselves" and I must report that for this trip, some areas exceeded my expectations, in some they were met and on par with our previous visit and some aspects were slightly worse than our previous visit.

Before providing a more detailed account of our stay, I will provide an executive summary to give a general feel for the resort and help those who do not have the time to read the entire review.

The majority of hotel staff is friendly, accommodating and easy to communicate with. The rooms are nice in general and thoroughly cleaned daily; perhaps a bit dated, but aside sleep and the occasional afternoon nap, you should not be visiting Mexico to sit in a hotel room. Mattresses are a bit on the firm side but this is a matter of preference. Food at all of the restaurants at GCP ranged from good to excellent in general. Liquor seems to be a sticking point for many people, I find GCP's selection to be adequate but I do not have the brand loyalties for hard liquor that some people may have, and I am a craft beer drinker so I would not expect ANY resort to cater to my tastes. We only sat by the pool for an hour the whole trip, and spent the rest on the beach. On the beach, I don't think any of the 5 of us felt we were left with an empty glass for too long. There are no chairs in the pool area, and very few on the beach, so you have to be okay with lying down. There are a ton of vendors on the beach and they are not deterred by the 1 foot rope barrier; 90% of them are quite nice and not overly intrusive, especially after buying from them and talking to them every day for a week. Stay away from the tour desk(unless they are manned by tour agency reps such as Timon Tours) and information desk as these are timeshare related, we knew this from our previous visit and West Jet reminded all guests of this prior to arriving at the resort. Armed with this knowledge not one person on the resort tried to sell us a timeshare during our week stay. In closing I still feel this resort is a tremendous value, and the more laid back you are the better your stay will be. Our next trip we plan to try the other side of Mexico, but when we do return to Puerto Vallarta, as long as Trip Advisor reviews indicate that the resort is operating in a similar fashion, we will return to the Golden Crown Paradise.
---
I hope the above was helpful to those reading. Below I will provide a detailed account of our stay from check-in to check-out and all important things in between.
I will preface this review by saying this is our second trip to Mexico and stay at an all-inclusive resort ever. As a result of this the only point of comparison I have is to my own expectations and my previous experience at Golden Crown Paradise. As such if you have traveled to many other resorts, your experience could vary greatly from my own based off of past experience and what you have come to expect from an all-inclusive resort.

Golden Crown Paradise, Adults Only All Inclusive Resort
Guests 5, Age Range 23-33

Arrival: We arrived at the resort just after 1 pm on Friday afternoon. Not surprisingly 2 of 3 rooms our party had booked were not ready as check in time is only 3pm and the resort was quite full. The manager offered myself, my wife, my brother and my sister a suite to share at no additional charge as it would have been ready immediately, The suite included a master bedroom with king sized bed and private bathroom, living area, kitchenette with fridge, and detached room across the hall the 2 double beds and its own bathroom. We would have accepted this if not for the 2 double bed room facing the parking lot and city as opposed to the ocean which every standard room at the hotel does. This being my brother and sister's first visit to PV, it seemed unfair to rob them of the ocean view. Ultimately we waited for our original rooms and we all packed into the one room that was ready and prepared to lie on the beach and relax. As promised by the hotel just after 3 the remaining 2 rooms were ready for occupation.

Rooms: Rooms are a clean, have plenty of closet and drawer space if you like to move into hotels when you travel, some rooms seems to have HDTV while other have CRT TV's, 1 king or 2 double beds, a spacious bathroom and nice big shower and vanity mirror, balcony with ocean view and a key-lock safe, balcony with 2 chairs, table and ocean view. I mentioned the TV's as on our last trip we had an HDTV and went out of our way this to bring laptop and HDMI cable to watch movie's in the evenings only to not have one this time, though ultimately the TV was turned on 3 times, and it not being an HD set did not hinder the stay. The mattresses are firm which I personally prefer, but again it is matter of personal preference. When booking our friend did not request any room in specific and received a standard room on the first floor. I have read that the first floor rooms can smell like sewage, and can confirm there is truth to that. I cannot confirm this but there is a deep storm drain about 7 feet from the all first floor balconies which runs the entire length of the first floor rooms and pool area. There is often standing water in the drains, which I think may cause this smell to waft into the rooms as I smelled the same smell both in my friend’s room and at times when walking by the pool area. If this is something you may be sensitive to, booking a room higher up is the likely solution. As well this his room, at some point a cockroach wandered into his bathroom, as I believe is true in most of Mexico, there are no truly sealed rooms at the resort, as every room has a large balcony door with no screen if left open and a crack under the door. This makes it very possible for bugs and other things to get in, and I do not think it would be fair to hold the hotel accountable. When his room was cleaned, the cockroach disappeared. He did request a new room but the hotel was fully booked until Sunday, and by the time Sunday rolled around he couldn't be bothered to move everything. The hotel did try some things with to minimize the smell to make the room more hospitable for him. Rooms are thoroughly cleaned at least once per day (ours was twice; we are not sure if it is because we were returning guests or just by mistake).

A slight negative in relation to front desk staff: I personally had an issue with the safe lock in my room, and my friend had an issue with the door lock to his balcony. Both issues were brought to the attention to the hotel, and remedied quickly. However when the issues were first taken the front desk, they assumed we were using the lock incorrectly, which I suppose does happen quite a bit, but it would be nice if they would just listen to what were are saying first instead of assuming we were doing it wrong.

Food: Salvador’s (À la carte, reservation required), Paradise (À la carte, reservation required) and Bella Vista all had very good food in general, and seemed even better from what I remember from our previous visit. The things I did not like I think come down to a matter of personal taste rather than preparation, for example I do not care for refried beans, nor do I like cilantro on my taco's. Bella Vista offers a buffet at times (Breakfast every day, I think all day weekends) if there is nothing at the buffet that interests you, you can still order off their menu, you just have to ask for one. You can also dine twice at the other resort Crown Paradise Club, which has an Italian, Japanese and French Restaurant, (all À la carte, reservation required). We were excited for the Italian Restaurant this time as it was our hands down favourite last time. Sadly were disappointed as the food quality had decreased the restaurant had a lot of small bugs in it coming from small cracks in the walls, and my sister even had a spider in her soup. In spite of this we finished our meals but as they were passable, but decided not to dine at Crown Paradise Club again during our stay. It is unfair to blame Golden Crown Paradise for the shortfalls at Crown Paradise Club as they have a separate kitchen staff. There were two restaurants we have not tried (French, Japanese) which may be fine, but we were definitely turned off from eating a CPC, so eat there are your own discretion. If you like the GCP restaurants which we all did you may be disappointed in comparison. Making reservations for the À la carte's is easy enough, just dial 22 on the phone in room after 9 am, and you make a reservation up to a day in advance. Our last visit the À la carte's had a more strict dress code, I think one is still in effect but could not tell you what is, likely just no beachwear.
Possible Negative: 4 of 5 travelers got sick on Monday, and at the time of writing this we still have it in some capacity(April 28). I am not willing to blame the resort, as we did eat off the resort on Sunday, so you run into more potential of water that has not been purified, poorly stored/prepared ingredients or even could have caught something from someone on the plane on the way down. The resort does inform you that raw ingredients go into all food prepared so you are eating at your own risk. Bring Imodium and Pepto Bismol (or similar products) to make the symptoms more bearable if you do come down with something that bothers your stomach.

Drink: There is not much to say about the liquor that was not touched on above. They do not carry every brand of liquor, and the more expensive it is the less likely they are to have it. Beer selection is limited, a staff member had said they have Pacifico, Corona and Tecate (none of which I care for), but all I ever got was draft Tecate. All in all if you are not a picky drinker you will be fine, they have all the standard combinations and lots of fun mixed drinks. If you ask for a surprise there is 9/10 chance you will get Dirty Monkey, which is kind of annoying but, asking for a surprise indicates you do not care what you get. The drinks are mixed inconsistently, as everything is free poured, most of the time the flavour is balanced enough to drink. Personally I think it’s hard to complain about this, weak or strong, if you don't like your drink ask for another one, it is included in your price and you can have as many as you want.

Beach/Pool: Lots of cloth cabanas, and beds. The cabanas have thin white cloth which may not provide enough shade for some people. I expect to be hot in Mexico so I did not mind that the sun was not completely blocked out. There are no chairs by the pool only reclining beds and cabana beds. The beach has a lot of cabana beds and reclining beds but very few chairs, which are left over from the resorts' old chairs/cabanas so I imagine in the future they will be gone all together. Lots of vendors on the beach, if you don't like being bothered don't sit on the beach, if you don't mind it most of them are nice and don't put up a huge fight once you say no. The pool area is vendor free (unless you sit at the very end by the beach they may try to approach you from the sand). Drink service on the beach was as frequent as I felt necessary, we only spent an hour by the pool though every time I walked by other guests seemed well lubricated.

Property/Staff: The property is getting old, but I think the hotel is doing to the best they can to keep it presentable. Pretty much everything is exposed to the elements so this is no easy job. The staff frontline staff is friendly, accommodating and speak conversational English. CPC and GCP operate as one unit now with staff working at either resort for 2 weeks at a time when switching. While I like the staff I am not overly attached to anyone so some faces being absent did not place a damper on my experience. As mentioned above do not approach or talk to anyone at the information or tour desk unless you are looking for a timeshare. Most of the maintenance staff speaks minimal English, which can be frustrating when they knock on your door; my suggestion is to just let them in to do what they came to do.

Entertainment: Daily from 10 or 11 am til 5pm there are activities every hour, be they water aerobics, Spanish lessons, tequila volleyball etc. We never participated in these but they are there as an option to pass the time and a lot of people do participate. There is also a pool table and chess/checkers at the pub, a tennis court, a ping pong table, and non-motorized water sports on the beach (kayak, etc...) offered free of charge. Every night Club Nitro across the way from the hotel has a dance show(put on by the hotel staff) or karaoke night, as well as an open bar. This is okay, but it is shared with CPC so there are many children, and the building smells a little bit moldy, again though it is an option to pass the time.

Check Out: Check out is at noon. The hotel can hold your bags in the hospitality room and bell boys tag it and keep track of what is going in and coming out. Alternatively you can pay $20 per hour and have a late check out. Our flight only left at 7 on Friday night so it was nice to check out and still enjoy food and drink until our airport transport came to get us after 4.

Final Thoughts: All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our second trip to GCP. What you get AT GCP in relation to what you pay is fantastic value and it is an adult only all-inclusive on top of that. I always find it scary when you recommend a resort to friends and family as it may not meet their expectations, but I am happy to report 4 of the 5 people we visited with would return to Puerto Vallarta and GCP. The 5th I do not think would return to Mexico so it was unrelated to the experience they had at the resort. I think the resort is in a period of change but from the taste we got this time these changes will be for the better. Good food, good people, we hope return in the next year or two GCP!

Room Tip: Request above the first floor, the standard ocean view room is fine for most, though the deluxe does...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!