“Excellent first experience in Puerto Vallarta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta

You added Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av de las Garzas 3, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #65 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellent first experience in Puerto Vallarta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We travelled to PV for a last minute pre-christmas trip Dec 15-22. Winter had exerted a stronger than usual grip on our home so an escape to the sun & sand of Mexico was a welcome escape and exceptional travel deals made the choice easier to make. We had not stayed in PV before so we sought out 4 star or better all inclusive resorts through on online travel site which brought us to Golden Crown Paradise. Right on the beach with a very nice pool, this resort met all our needs and most of our expectations. Rooms were of good size, neat and well maintained. Staff were attentive and friendly. Centrally located near airport, Starbucks ( for good coffee & free WiFi) and the city attractions of PV made the resort very handy for our activities. As guests of adult only Golden Crown, we had access to the restaurants of both Golden Crown and the companion family oriented Crown Paradise Resort next door. Combination of buffett restaurant and assortment of a la carte theme restaurants provided plenty of choice. Food quality was acceptable - average to slightly above average but good value for money. The nest alternative for us was Paradise Restaurant where the staff we exceptional and food quality VG. The French themed restaurant in Crown Paradise was also very good. Met plenty of repeat customers at the resort who have returned to Golden Crown for up to 10 years. Great testimonial. Best recommendation is based on central location and value for money.

Room Tip: Beach front option was very nice - we enjoyed sound of the waves and beach view from balconey. King...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for take the time and shared your experiences with us,

experiences with us.

We hope to see you soon,

Dulce Ramos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at GCP 12/12-12/17. Check in was a breeze, the woman at the front desk was very prompt and friendly. Oscar who did the time-share speech was friendly and did not push us at all (could be due to the fact we're 24, clearly not their target demographic for $$). First thing that happened, the bellhop who took us to our room muttered under his breath and shook his head after I gave him $2 for rolling our two carry-on bags to our room. Maybe I am out of touch, but I felt this wasn't an impossibly low amount? Awkward vibe right off the back.
After we checked into our room (first floor, ocean view) within 10 minutes, the room had flooded due to water seeping in from somewhere(??). I called the front desk and they said they would get a mechanic(?) to come look at it, meanwhile I flagged down some housekeeping staff who grabbed a stack of beach towels and started mopping up our floor. I was pretty upset at this point but we shrugged it off as bad luck and went on with our day. Well unfortunately the same thing happened AGAIN the next day except this time it came from the back of the toilet tank which was gushing water. We had to barricade the floor with towels to prevent the water from ruining our things. I called the front desk and again they promised someone to come. Meanwhile I had to flag down more housekeeping staff and they used buckets to remove water from our room. I was pretty pissed and went to the front counter where the manager told me things are often only superficially fixed at this resort....Odd to tell an upset customer that, right? Well he apologized and promised it was a one time thing and if it happened again he would upgrade us to a suite. I explained this was the SECOND day of the two days we had been there that this happened. He said since I did not file a report with the front desk the first day, he would not upgrade us unless it happened again. Huh.

That set the tone for disappointment I think which is unfortunate. I enjoyed the look of the resort otherwise, the room was nice otherwise, the pool and beach area, very beautiful, and lots of places to drink and eat. That being said, the food is mediocre-poor at best and the smallest portions I have ever seen (a shrimp cesar salad was three pieces of romaine wrapped in a slice of cucumber with a single shrimp garnish). We stuck with the buffet most of the time on the family side, which was disappointing to us as we enjoy "fine" dining at all inclusive resorts. The drinks were fine, but we ordered Jack Daniels and Captain Morgan's rather than their well brands and they usually told us they "ran out" after two drinks...Then we would see them pour a Jack and Coke for someone else. Also they did not have mint for mojitos 4 of the 6 days we were there. Disappointing....
A final note, we tipped VERY well. We glad-handled everyone, a dollar plus for each round of drinks, $3-5 or more for servers at the buffet, the bell-boys, everyone. And we did so happily. So it was especially disappointing when they "ran out" of Captain Morgan's yet I could see full bottles behind the bar.

Some perks- like others have said Polly at Paradise is great, and so is Antonia at the pool. Dago(sp?) the bartender was also amazing and so friendly. These three are the only memorable faces unfortunately.
Another FYI- They told us that you should book reservations before 2pm for the restaurants but you COULD do it later if you like, but the seating times may fill up. We checked in after 2pm the first day and tried to call around 3pm. We were told that it is impossible to try and get a reservation after 2pm, and there was nothing they could do. When we went to the front desk and made a stink about it, suddenly they could seat us at the time we wanted. Which was further disappointing as we were one of three tables in the entire restaurant during that seating time.

Overall- save your money and go somewhere else. I will go back to Dreams in the future, never the Golden Crown Paradise.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go.

Thank you for shared your comments with us,

Your feedback are invaluable, they help us to improve in the services that we offer.

One more time, thank you for your comments,

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

the people of Puerto Vallarta. From the moment we arrived we had an overwhelmingly welcoming experience.
I knew from previous reviews that the hotel was older and not contemporary or extravagant. so knew arriving at the hotel I would not have an fantastic impression. However, the staff were very sweet, and engaging, and made us feel like we were home, it was out first time there, as we later learned many people are return guests. I knew why immediately.
The restaurants were fine, I love good food and love to cook, and was fine with pretty much everything served, other than the odd item I didn`t like, staff was always happy to get something I did like. the bartender, Fernando at the `lobby`bar was fantastic take a moment to get to know him and he is great to you, the wait staff at all the restaurants were fantastic, there was one fellow who appeared `grumpy`think there has been a previous post on him, you`ll recognize him..lol never dealt with him though, We met fabulous fun guests from US and Canada, and few wild sisters from San Diego who were staying down the street at another resort and purchased day passes to hang at our hotel, if you read this ladies you rock! Rooms were well cleaned and adequate, nothing fancy, room service was perfect. beach bar was great. I really have no complaints, For the price which was great, I am totally happy with this last minute pick. go and enjoy, nice location not walking distance to the Malecon, but 50-60 pesos will get you there. Again loved the staff, and I never even tipped anyone until my last day there to say thanks and adios - perhaps I will return. Fernando rocks making Mojitos!! Don`t leave without trying one.

Room Tip: All the rooms have some ocean view , I was in 1511 and happy with that location.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for shared your comments with us.

We are very pleased to know that your stay was enjoyable, here at your home away from home, Golden Crown Paradise.

Our goal at Crown Paradise is to create lasting memories, by offering personalized service, added values plus friendly and attentive staff. Your satisfaction is the very important to us.

I would like to invite you to become a fan at facebook.

So that you know about our promotions, and share us your comments.

Thanks again for your preference. We hope to have you back at your home away from home.

Best regards

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well, all is well with the GCP. Some changes from last year. There is now a breakfast buffet in the pool area, previously one had to go to the sister hotel. Also the buffet at the sister hotel has a fresher selection than last year. Ate fish or pork every day with excellent rice dishes. The resort was less than half full, presumably the recession in the USA plus the drug murders in northern Mexico are having a deleterious effect. Some tips for newcomers: Try and get a room on the third floor, you are high enough up to enjoy the ocean view, plus you only have to walk up two flights of stairs,no need to use the elevators which are small and slow. We sat under the palapas on the beach, waiter brings you drinks as needed ( please tip, they are not paid very much), ok, the vendors can be a nuisance, but a firm "No, lo siento" suffices. The Soriana supermarket right behind the hotel is good for any shopping needs, plus Walmart is a ten minute walk. The tequilla prices at Soriana are better than the airport, we stocked up, Casadores one litre was $17USD compared with the Canadian price of $49. Finally, don't change your money at the hotel, make a small purchase at Soriana, pay with USD and get pesos in change, got a rate of nearly thirteen pesos to the dollar. I will be pleased to answer any questions newcomers may have about this hotel. We plan to return again next year.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor
Dear Guest,

Thank you for shared your experiences with us,

We would like to invite you to our Social Network Facebook, and share your pictures and comments with us.

One more time, thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you soon.

Rancho Santa Fe, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the GCP from December 3rd to December 13th, 2012. Lets start with service. For the most part, the service was good and very friendly. Now, the restaurants. Two are very good+. However, the rest of them are mediocre and inconsistent. I even preferred the buffet. But, it turns out that the buffet is only available about 3 days out of each 7 days. Now, the bars. If you want a genuine drink, tell the bartender exactly how you would like it made. And, if you would like a reasonable amount of alcohol, just ask the bartenders and you will get exactly what you want. However, if you think that you will get genuine Mexican Controy in your Margarita, they don't have it. The substitute is the cheapest Triple Sec that is available. Tell them that you want an authentic Mexican Margarita.

Bring your casual pants and a collared shirt so that you can gain access to the two really special restaurants, the Paradise and the San Soucis. And, don't forget to have "Pauly" (Hippolito) make you a "Sexy Coffee" (Mexican Coffee). Even if you don't drink coffee, the show is worth it. Be sure and give Pauly a tip, say $1 or $2 depending on your pocket book and mindset about tipping. If you are anything like us, you will want to eat all of your dinners at the Paradise and the San Soucis. The other restaurants may sound good, but they are not, including their Japanese complete failure of a restaurant. The Sushi Rolls tasted like the ones from the super market only not as good.

And, now for the rooms and property overall. On the positive side, everyday, there are employees repainting, stuccoing, and generally maintaining the over all property, but not to the degree that it would bother the guests. The rooms are very clean with excellent maid service. Our room, 1611, had a nice balcony facing the ocean and the pool area. And, surprise, surprise, we did not wake up every morning with aching backs from a Mexican mattress set on top of a concrete slab as is typical in Mexico. There is WiFi in the room, but at a cost of $6.99 per hour or $12.99 per day. And, you can't sign off and come back later to continue using your hour. The entire hour has to be used up from the time that you first login or you lose the rest of your minutes. Because of the nature of my business, I have to have access to the Internet. The bathroom is quite acceptable with tub/shower combined and good water pressure.

There is no swim up bar in the pool, but a 4 stool bar on the pool deck. They do have a server at the pool who makes regular rounds for drinks. Speaking of drinks at the pool, you probably won't be sleeping with your balcony slider open. It seems the serious drinkers all gather around the main pool bar and have a great, LOUD time until the bar closes.

If you are not a smoker, you may want to be careful where you sit at the main pool bar and the very comfortable beach bar. You can also get a food at the beach bar. I found this to be one of my favorite hang outs for a drink and a snack. Go all the way to the towel shack and turn right and you will see it straight ahead. It is also usually pleasantly comfortable with a nice breeze from the ocean cooling things down.

There are not a lot of beach vendors and they are not obnoxiously obtrusive. They are just nice Mexican people trying to make a living. And, you can get some good buys.

Would we go back, no. There are way too many other choices in Puerto Vallarta.

P.S. Consider the San Sebastian tour and don't bother with the free city tour offered by the GCP. Only book the San Sebastian tour with Vallarta Adventures and ask for the tour guide, Juan Carlos ("Carlos"). He will make the long, bumpy drive more fun.

Thank you for shared your comments with us,

Your feedback is invaluable for us; they help us to improve in our services.

We hope to see you again, and show our commitment with your satisfaction.

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I go to Mexico every year during the winter time. We've stayed in a lot of different resorts in Puerto Vallarta. This December we stayed in Golden Crown Paradise Resort for two weeks, and we loved every day of it! The hotel is adult only, which is very nice. There is another hotel ( Crown Paradise Club) just next to us, we can go there to eat as well. There is a snack bar by the buffet on that side, every afternoon they had ribs, my husband loved it! There are three restaurants in our hotel, and a buffet plus three restaurants in next door hotel. We've tried all the restaurants, and the food was wonderful!
There are two things we don't like: no wifi (or you pay 7 dollars a day to go to a special room to use it); no fridge in the room. Other than that, we were very happy about this resort.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room has very nice view, higher floor is better.
Dear Guest,

We would like to invite you our social network Facebook, and share your experiences with us.

One more time thank you for your feedback, they are very important for us.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was my second time in Puerto Vallarta and my first at this resort. Last time I stayed at the Samba Vallarta which is in Nuevo Vallarta.

I usually travel alone, however, this time I traveled with a friend. Since my friend preferred an adult only resort, we decided on Golden Crown Paradise. The resort is very close to the airport, only about 5 minutes by taxi and it should not cost you more than $8 -10 dollars. The check-in was quick and the front desk staff was great.

I was happy to see that although an adult only resort, we did not see much of the rowdy crowds but rather a more quiet group of people. Perhaps the fact that the resort was close to downtown some of those who wanted to party just chose to visit the bars downtown. If anything, the resort in the evenings was pretty quiet.

The bar outside the lobby would be a bit busier but still no big crowds. There is a second bar by the beach where you can also have a quick snack during the day if you do not wish to go up to the dining area.

Staff in general was friendly and helpful with one exception. One of the servers in the morning was an absolute grump and unfriendly. He seemed as he really did not enjoy what he was doing.
The first morning we waited at least 10 minutes before they served us coffee even though two servers asked us if we wanted coffee and although we did say yes, they never came back. The unfriendly server walked by us with a pot of coffee and went straight to couple who were just making their way to the table and served them first before coming back to us.

It seemed like he first wanted to serve those who have already established their tipping system. The following morning we decided to sit in another area away from Mr. Grumpy but to our surprise he came all the way there to serve us with coffee and to ask if I was angry with him. Considering his lack of "good" service on the first morning we still tipped so I guess he tried to make up for it, although he was not any more pleasant. The third morning we walked over to the breakfast area and first person we saw was Grumpy. We said good morning but received no reply. I never came across someone so arrogant and pompous as he was.
I stayed at other resorts and met nothing but wonderful staff and I have treated them with respect an vice versa but this person just has a bad mood and never smiled and he always had that sour looking face. I understand it is not an easy job to please everyone, however, they have a good enough job and they earn more than what the others do outside the resorts.

Nicholas on the other hand was a delight and so were many others. We actually decided after that morning to go to the sister resort and have our breakfast there. Since we were up early and down by 7 am we did not have to worry about the kids running around. Staff was very friendly and full of smiles...Also coffee at the kids resort was much better than on the adult side.

The dinner at the main restaurant outside the lobby area was great if you ordered Mexican dishes. We did try a few different ones and it was delicious but we could only eat so much of that. I usually prefer healthier and lighter choices so if you want a salad the choice is slim. The salad orders were very small and hardly any greens and not very fresh. The broccoli was old and yellowish....I do prefer the buffet type of dining so that I can select what I want and not having to waste the food by ordering it and not being able to eat it.

The Paradise restaurant had a great salad bar. The service was excellent but remember to book between 8 am and 2 pm. If you want a table by the window with a view, book the 6:30 time and be there on time. It is a first come first serve basis and it is nice to have the view. You can book here every day if you wanted to...We did eat there the last two nights of our stay.

The French restaurant is on the sister resort (kids resort) also need reservation. The food and service along with the Sexy coffee was great.

Our room was clean, no problems but a bit smaller then we expected still for the amount of time we spent there it really did not matter. Our window was overlooking the ocean above the second bar by the beach. All rooms have balconies as far as we could see and all have an ocean view to certain degree. Some overlook the pool area however, you can also see the ocean from the balcony.

The resort was safe even in the evenings. We also felt safe when we visited downtown Vallarta and it is a beautiful place to visit. Lots of great restaurants, boutiques and all kind of different art stores. The Galleria Vallarta mall is also nice to visit and it is only about 10 minutes walk from the resort.

Yes the Beach Vendors, well there are many but they are trying to make a living. Usually if you say "No Gracias" they go away, but another one will soon follow. Does not matter what resort you go to (unless a 5 star) beach vendors are everywhere and it is just a fact of life. If you want to buy something just be firm on the price you want to pay and do not give in to the back and forth chatter otherwise they will not leave you alone. Although bothersome to us at times, at the same time their life is hard and they try to survive by making a few dollars a day by walking all day long on the sun trying to sell something.

Internet - do not pay for internet at the hotel, a little too expensive. Other resorts I stayed at usually offered free WiFi. If you need to use the internet then there is a little coffee shop just outside the resort offering free WiFi if you buy a coffee or consume something. As you exit the hotel and walk towards the street, turn right passed the security booth just a few short steps down there is a great little coffee shop. They have cappuccino, espresso coffee and other snacks so better pay for a nice coffee and use the internet there. It is a small and cozy place.

Although I will not return to this resort simply because I prefer to go to different places, I would certainly recommend it. For what we paid, we were satisfied. Our main reason was to relax, enjoy the sun and the beach which we did and everything else is secondary....

Thank you for reading my review and I hope you found it helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time and share your experiences with us,

Your comments are really invaluable; they help us to improve in the services that we offer you,

We hope to see you again,

Dulce Ramos.

Been to Golden Crown Paradise Resort Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!