“Great place to relax!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort

You added Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort to your Saves list
Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jose Clemente Orozco #131 | Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #36 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
North Bay, ON
“Great place to relax!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Beautiful resort! They keep this place very clean! Staff was very nice and helpful! Entertainment staff was great, Antonio your the man! Night life wasn't great at the resort but that makes it a great place for rest and relaxation, and if you want night life there are plenty of clubs in Puerto Vallarta! I have to say Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful place, I will definitely be going back. i don't really have any complaints about Plaza Pelicanos, it is beautiful, clean and the food was great!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We arrived late On the 24th of January. Unpacked and went down for a bite and a coffee(which was always awesome!) We did not get out king bed as requested, and searched our room for a blanket of some sort to put on out beds which only had a sheet on them to cover up with. Did not find anything like that , so we went to sleep. In the morning we asked the guy at the front desk ( yes the one with the scarf and leather jacket over his uniform), for a blanket of some sort and face cloths. We had none of those either. Nor was there a hair dryer, a bathmat, or a hand towel. We have been to P.V. 3 times, and always stayed here, but this was the last time we will be staying here, the management does not really seem to care about its guests anymore. But I might say that the buffet staff, especially Reuben and the bar staff is a totaly different story. They really go out of their way to provide you with outstanding service. The room maids are another story. It would seem to me that while they are being tipped every day, they might put a little effort into doing something that we would take for granted. Like maybe stocking your room with a bathmat, hand towels, face cloths. For the last two nights the sheets on my bed were too short. So I slept with socks on so my feet wouldn't be on the mattress. Every morning at 6:30 the staff moved all the tables from the pool area that they had set up the night before, for the supper service, and replaced them with the deck chairs. This is a very loud and noisy undertaking. So we were awake every morning at this time. The worst part of the week was friday when we watched busload after busload of college students from Mexico City arrive to party for the weekend..And believe me did they ever party!!!! Friday afternoon at the pool by the beach they set up a huge banner that read Hawaiian Party. they brought in speakers as big as our refridgerator. Senior Frogs was there and set up a kiosk, then the music started, as they moved in on us we had enough and left. They partied there till about 9 PM then moved over to our club side. Some of them went to the Roo and other bars, but the ones that stayed partied hard. With no regards for the other guests in the resort. They brought a stereo into one of the rooms down the hall from us on the second floor. All night they had music cranked, people were in the halls singing, drinking, yelling, and slamming doors all night. At 4:30 AM I called the front desk, to complained about the noise. and asked if there was a noise policy. He never commented. My husband called back after to complain, nothing was done. In the morning we went to the front desk, and complained again, the manager took some notes and said it will be better tonight. the police were there and hauled a few of them off to jail. There was a broken window in the front entrance, and glass on the ground. I talked to our Sunwing rep, she was sympathetic and understanding and said she would talk to the manager. Saturday they sat around the pool partying with their coolers full of booze, which was in glass bottles. And saturday night they partied in the courtyard around the pool area till 7 in the morning. My husband went down to the front desk at 6:30 AM and tried to get them to do something. The security was enjoying a drink with the party kids. This was a terrible experience, and I can only imagine how the familys with small children felt. The management had no control over these kids that pretty much ran the show. We will never stay at the Pelicanos Club Resort again. Its too bad because we used to enjoy coming here, because the staff was always nice and it was a small resort were we felt very comfortable. The food at buffet was always the same things rice, beans, tortillas,salsa, fish, boiled wieners. There was usually a chicken dish and different pans of meats in juices. Desserts were pathetic, 3 or 4 to chose from and they were mostly something with jello. Never did they have any ice cream.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This is a review of the club side. We got there late sat night and there was 500 university grads there from mexico city .We had a ground floor room by the pool these kids partyed by the pool until 7am when finally the police were called and after numerous phone calls to the front desk by several visitors.Apparently it was the same thing the night before.We had no towels,our sheets only fit half the bed our safe did not work which they repaced 3 days later,our patio door did not lock.All there nightly entertainment was around the pool so it was extremy noisy at night there is absoutly no sound proofing in this hotel.On the weekends it was run over by locals .The food was nothing special not alot to pick from,the staff that work there on the most part were very good .Our favorite bartender was name was Claudio and he was awesome was allways there when you wanted somthing.However the management sucks!!!We only tried one alacart which was the sushi one and was not to bad we never tried the italian one just because we heard it was so bad from the other guests that had gone.We complained to the sunwing rep but they would not move us but we did manage to keep our room till 9pm but that was only because we basically refused to leave.To top it off on our way home we had to land in Regina to drop people off when the Sunwing pilot informed us that they were missing three passengers so we all had to get off the plane with our luggage go threw customs and reboard the plane this was a 3 hour process to find out there was no missing passengers they had counted wrong.They not so much as offered us a cup a coffee when the flight attendents where walking up and down the isle drinking coffee.Hard to beleive but true. We will go back to P.V. but not with Sunwing and never stay at this hotel I would have to rate this hotel ** star at best.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

- Bad experience.
- Sunquest sucks
- Terrible food, no beach, the worst activites of any hotel.
- The beach is dangerous - had the City Life Guard come by and warn me and the kids to stay out of the water - to narrow and severe under tow!!!!
- Staff is nice but they have no budget
- Rooms are the worst.
- Couldn't stay there during the day - boring and really bad food not even a 4 star in Mexico. 2 star or 2.5 at best even for Mexico.
- They said no rooms with balcony, table or even blankets...yet I spoke with other staff and they said 40% full only.
- No access to Club section - they want you to buy a timeshare inorder to walk across - terreble.
- I paid the extra money to be in Grand and then found out everyone else got free upgrade from the club section......
- This is not a regular resort it is a timeshare facility.
- Do not go here - everyone else at the hotel had the same complaints I did. A few of us got a bottle of sparkling wine (Mexican of course) like that makes up for it>>>
- Sunquest was even an hour late to get us to the Airport. No service and no concern for us at this dump. I emailed later on and of course the classic answer - "you should have complained more and we would have changed your hotel" ya right...no mention of that when I first complained.
- DO Not get fooled with others givivng a high rating - must be share holders, Time share peopel to keep thier rates down or ee's.
- I am not a whinner - I have stayed at a lot of hotels and relize you get what you pay for but this sucked and my travel agent never warned me - Flight Center sucks as well for making me have to spend another pile of money on eating out all the time with my wife and kids.....will not use Flight Center or SunQuest ever again>>>>>>no offer to make things right and i have been back for 3 days - you all suck...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

All inclusive, excellent customer service,great activities for teenagers, easy acces to location, kiddie pool and private beach club, daily avtivities,interesting design

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Regina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

My review is for the Grand side of the Plaza Pelicanos. Lots of these reviews here (low reviews) are for the Club. Readers need to separate out which review they are interested in. This review is of the GRAND.

Sunquest
Sunquest promoted this resort as including the option to visit the CLUB side, which included the heated pools and additional eating options. This is no longer the case, Grand guests can not freely visit the Club side.

Sunquest agent was very friendly however, when we tried o meet him at the 'scheduled times' to set up return transporation to the airport, it was a nightmare. Had to have front desk call him, had to confirm next day he recieved it. He did, but argued with us he was at the hotel at his scheduled times... umm no he wasn't. In the end, we had to cab it, as no transporation arrived. The poor hotel staff was left wondering what was going on, and promtly got us a cab and paid for us. GREAT STAFF THERE!

The deal is this.... if your picky and won't try new foods... you'll have an issue with the food. It's mexico.... food and tastes are different, and they really do try to please everyone with only a limited amount of food. Not alot of variety, but good all the same. And you need a sense of humour. For example Asian Dinner.... 'Chicken Satay in a Peanut Sauce' fairly safe bet... right?? umm ... it was chicken covered in Peanut butter. lmao! But hey, I just went and got some food off the buffet after we left.. no big deal. I took a chance on dessert and ordered... something with 'goat milk candy'.. ekk sounds funny.. but it was fantastic!! ice cream with carmel sauce!!

Snack bar has lots of options, also check your room service options. Never ordered from it, but it looked like more options yet!

Room
Very basic hotel room. Nothing to get excited about. Robes are available and the safe is easy to use. I suggest using a code on your safe that isn't a phone number or your room number or 1234. Just to be safe, use something only you will know and isn't on your check in information.
Air conditioning would bearly keep up, we were very aware to keep out blinds closed and A/C on high all day.

Beds are ok, but the 'connecting doors' are paper thin. I suggest ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. I could hear the girl in the next room cough and I thought she was right beside me.

Resort / Pool
The resort is SMALL. If you needed to find someone by the pool it would take you 3mins to scan the entire grounds. With that said, they have padded loungers and day beds and service to your lounger. I think some people do not realize that service right to your lounger is not easy to come by. But given the resort is so small this can be done.Victor and Luis were wonderful, and Marcel a great bartender!!

CLEAN! I never saw one bug! No ants in rooms, or anywhere. I was amazed how hard the staff works and how clean they keep everything. It was fantastic, and the staff do work very hard to help. And the maids are soo sweet!!

Our price was $1025 each taxes included, so given the price and the quality of resort, we were very happy! I would say the resort common areas and staff were 4 star, the rooms and food 3 star. But I was very happy with that.

Roof top lounge
great to sit back in comfy chairs for a drink. My husband and I would bring beer from the pool bar, as beer is not served up there. Very nice evening relaxing area, quiet and romantic.

Misc
mini fridge restocked every 3 days. We would walk across the street to get water (or stop at an OXXO store) or take down our bottle and have them refill with water at the bar. worked great, and never had any issues with the water.

massage, directly across the street in the 'market mall' henderson massage... WOW. 75mins for 250pesos. that is $21CND! Wish I could have done this everyday!!

Overall, great resort. Great location, able to walk downtown and to marina. Wonderful vacation. Canadians do the Pirate ship on Tues & Thursdays, and Whale watching for two people was 700 pesos (approx $30 each). Great deal for 4 hours!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Beware promo and reviews. Rooms dated and spartan. Food limited and boring. Buffet restaurant has plastic patio chairs and tables for furniture, ( very 2 star ). Contrary to promo literature, NO coffee maker in room, no clock radio, no bathrobes and slippers, no hair dryer, no minibar/fridge, no internet room no balcony. Perhaps I would not care if it was not advertised. For the same money I believe I could have found a true 3+ or 4 star. I also thought I was booked into the Grand section but ended up in Club. Be careful when booking through your trip supplier. I was not able to see the Grand section but it could not be worse than Club section. Will never return nor recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!