“Wonderful Memories!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort to your Saves list
Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jose Clemente Orozco #131 | Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #33 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
nashville, tn
“Wonderful Memories!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

First of all, Just getting off the plane is overwhelming with all of the tour sales and taxi sales. We decided to get a taxi inside the airport, because we weren't really comfortable yet with just getting a taxi on the street, but they WAY overcharged us and after a week of using the taxis every day, they are fine!! Don't give in to the pressure to buy a taxi in the airport.

I have to be honest, upon first arrival at the hotel, our group was a little nervous by the quality of this hotel. BUT after just one night there we fell in love with it. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were greeted with such a kind concierge and treated to chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The bell boys were full of smiles and overly kind in helping with our luggage. There was a door man that we loved to speak to every night as we left the hotel. He was very helpful in directing us to different restaurants every night. There was a sales lecture while we were checking in, but the lady was very polite and after we said no we weren't interested we were never bothered with that again. We chose not to do all inclusive because we wanted to get out around town and experience the local life in PV. But we did have one lunch there are the snack bar and it was good. There is also a Burger King and Pizza Hut within walking distance if all else fails.

The high points:
*The cabanas were definitely one of my favorite parts of our trip. They were so comfortable & FREE!
*They had a full list of activities that you could choose from. We chose to participate in the Kayaking. It was free once a day and the guide was so nice. We were able to see some whales from our kayaks.
*The pool was very clean and nice. Free towels every day, but make sure you hang on to your towel card!
*OH...the rooftop veranda with the hot tub. Every time we went up there, we were the only ones there! However, we would go up around 8:00-9:00, so there may have been more people as the night went on. I can't say. The only complaint I have about the hot tub was that it didn't seem very hot and we couldn't figure out how to turn the temp up.
*The rooms were clean. They weren't top notch or the most fancy thing I had ever seen, but they were nice. We hardly spent any time in our room at all. Occasionally we would have lunch on our balcony which was very nice. There is a huge market within walking distance that you can get all your groceries from.
*The massage spa...I booked a massage on the beach the morning that we were to check out and it was wonderful. She did a great job. There's nothing better than having a massage while listening to the waves.

The Beach:
*you could walk down to the beach and grab a lounge chair, once again it's free. There is a huge concrete wall right behind them though and it blocked the sun on the chairs until about 10 am. But pretty much every one stayed up near the pool during the day, so we were the only ones down on the actual sand. The reason most people didn't want to be there were because of the peddlers. Every couple of minutes someone walked by trying to sell you something. It was annoying at first, but they honestly were not pushy at all. All we had to say was "No gracias" and they were on their way. Most of them were very nice actually and we struck up a friendship with several of them. You can get some good bargains down there if you are good at haggling. Don't ever accept the price they give you first.

The area was great and we were never worried about it being dangerous and we went out to old town almost every night. Beware of the taxi drivers that might try and rip you off though. Ask the guy at the door what a good price is for the place you are going. They will help you.

Overall, the trip was a huge success and we would very willingly go back again. If you are willing to settle for a room that is not quite a 5 star in return for rest and relaxation with great people, then don't worry about the Plaza Pelicanos Grand. Again, the rooms were not bad at all. Just not amazing. It really was a great choice and we have lots of memories there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Please let us express our gratitude for sharing such nice comments regarding your stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your vacation.
For us it is really motivating to know that our service makes the difference in our guests’ vacation and that we are able to help you relax and simply enjoy your free time with us.
Plaza Pelicanos Grand is located at Plaza las Glorias, 4km away from the international airport and 1.5 km from Puerto Vallarta’s downtown, with 85 rooms, infinity pool with a wading pool, aqua bar, buffet restaurant, two a la carte specialties restaurants for dinner, snacks restaurants for dinner, snacks restaurant, sky lounge bar, activities center, kids club, games room, gym, travel agency, business center and spa.
We look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx.
We will be waiting for you to come back really soon.

1,168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
LaCrosse, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have stayed at MANY all-inclusive resorts over the years. This one is by far the only one I really didn't care for. On a good note, the staff was FANTASTIC. Rooms were good, clean. The food will get you through but was really not that good at the buffet. Specialty restaurant was GREAT. Booze was REALLY BAD. We went across the street to buy our own.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us at Plaza Pelicanos Grand. I have brought to the attention of our Food & Beverage Manager your comments regarding the food and drinks and we will make sure all our staff has the proper training to assure they are given the best quality to our valuable guests. However we are going to monitor it in order to avoid these situations, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We sincerely hope to get the opportunity to have you once more as or guests, in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me again if further assistance if required or if you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you.
Black Diamond, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

6 of us went down to PV (4 of our 1st times there) and I have to say I love the staff! The pool side bartenders were amazing, the activity director and staff were so much fun! Our 2 bedroom suite was great, and anything we asked for we got without a hassle. I felt so welcome and was sad to leave!

Dear Ms. Jessye,
On behalf of all the staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
I will extend your congratulations to bartenders and the activity director, I am sure they will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I took my family to Puerto Vallarta and we stayed at Plaza Pelicanos in room 1217. At first we were assigned a room that was horrible. By horrible I mean the chairs had mold, the view was terrible, and I couldn't imagine spending a week with this to look forward to. Mentally preparing for a fight, we called down to the front desk and explained the room condition. The manager, (I forget her name), came to the room and agreed! She offered several rooms, allowed us to check them out, then let us choose! She was a wonderful Manager who understood the meaning of customer service. We picked room 1217, which in my opinion was the best room in the place! The room had a balcony overlooking the pool and a great ocean view. In all honesty this room made our stay! I've been to P.V. several times and always enjoyed staying at Riu. When I first arrived at Pelicanos, I found myself comparing the resort to Riu and was regretting my choice. After we were switched to a different room, I allowed the place to grow on me. After the first day I was actually glad I gave it a chance.

So, here's the good and bad of this place..ROOMS-If you get a room NOT facing the ocean or pool, you're gonna be unhappy. Those rooms have NO view and a lot of street noise. If you get a room on the other side of the hall, facing the pool and ocean, you'll like it. That pretty much covers the room situation. The added fee, if there is one, will be well worth it! The rooms are not over the top wonderful- but they are comfortable. The one thing that bothered me though were the lights. They use white fluorescent bulbs in all the lamps and ceiling fan. When you turn the lights on they give off a white ugly light. It's a nit picky thing to complain about, but normal bulbs would have been a lot nicer. Not a big deal though..The last ROOM issue would be "Roaches".. I'm American and I realize roaches are a somewhat "normal" occurrence in Mexico, but I don't want them in my hotel room. Furthermore, I don't want 3-inch roaches that take two smacks with my flip-flop to kill. I woke up the first morning a found a huge roach on the floor. At first, I thought it was some exotic Mexican bug, then after some debate, we agreed it was a roach. It didn't move until I got my flip-flop. He seemed to know what was coming. Then two smacks and it was dead. I was a little pissed to wake up to the bug and I was worried about how many may have made a home in our suitcases, so I decided to be a bit extreme. I went to the front desk, waited in line, when it was my turn I plopped it on the desk and told them I wanted my room sprayed. I told them I didn't want to have to bring more down tomorrow morning while people are trying to check in.

So, a short time later the bug issue was resolved and we didn't see any more. Again, this was a problem we presented to them and it was fixed to our satisfaction. They didn't want bugs on their check in desk, we didn't want them on our floor. Problem solved..

FOOD- OK, so earlier in my review I mentioned RIU. A week a RIU is expensive. I can't remember how much, but I remember paying it hurt. Keeping that in mind, the food was top quality and appealed to Americans. Looking back on the RIU I have to admit, I came to Mexico and never ate Mexican food while there.. I don't believe they served it. If you come to Pelicanos you better like Mexican food. This place is accurately described as a Mexican Resort with all inclusive OPTIONS. Some of the guests opt out of the All Inclusive Plan.. This place caters to primarily Mexican tourists. The food, games, and staff are all geared toward spanish speaking people. If you are a white American, you'll stick out and at times be ignored by staff who are not comfortable speaking english. I don't believe it's being done in some effort to be rude. I think it's a comfort issue with speaking another language. I have the same issue with spanish. That being the case- I have to say the staff who spoke english were wonderful! ALL the staff were actually wonderful, however some were amazingly wonderful.. The person who comes to mind is "Seattle Tony". He works at the pool and went out of his way EVERYDAY to help me negotiate the best deals with people on the beach selling stuff. If you don't have someone like Tony helping you, the locals will take advantage. In addition, Tony suggested wonderful places off the beaten path to explore and eat. He truly had a pulse for the city and all it had to offer. He also knew exactly what to pay and who to ask for. If you visit this place, ask for Seattle Tony at the pool.

This leads me to the POOL.. OK, if this place has a truly weak spot, it's the pool. In the AD they boast 3 pools and hot tubs.. They have 1 adult size pool, 1 baby pool, and 2 tiny tiny 3 person hot tubs. The adult pool is OK.. if they don't have a lot of people staying. During our stay, I'd estimate they were half occupied so the pool was slightly crowded at times. I can't imagine how full it would be if they were totally full- it would be horrible!! Also, nobody seemed to notice or care about the hair, dirt, leaves, grime, and stuff floating in the pool. The filter didn't seem to work well. I found myself hitting the beach and ocean to avoid coming out of the pool with other people hair hanging off my arms. It was crazy to watch people coming out of the pool picking stuff off their bodies- and not caring about it. Again, maybe it's just me, but that is gross.

The last thing-- The nightly entertainment.. You better know spanish.. It might have been funny, or entertaining, if I'd know what they were saying.. It was all in spanish.

OK, so 4 out of 5 circles.. Why? This place is truly a Mexican Resort. It's not the newest, or best, or exciting, but it tries.. These guys really try.. I think because they are not the best, or newest, they NEED to try. So what they can't deliver in amenities, they make up in service. At the Riu, if I'd complained about my room, they would have nodded their head and said, "we're full. sorry." These guys listened to us and did the best they could to win us over. The people who work here made me like it.

My last comment would be the PRICE. This place delivered a far better experience for the price! You can always stay at Dreams or Riu, or some other newer, bigger, resort- but you're gonna pay. We paid half the price and had a great vacation! The people who work there are to credit for our good memories.

I would go back (providing we get the same room) 1217..

Thank you to Seattle Tony and Myra (The Manager) her name just came to me.

You two made a nice resort a great family memory! You two went above and beyond to make our trip wonderful. Thank you!

Room Tip: 1217 facing the pool and ocean!
Dear Mr. Jim,
Warm Greeting from Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel!!
We are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your visit with us. We would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinion that definitely helps us to make sure that all our services and facilities fill up our client’s standards. Your opinion is very valuable to all of our staff.
I will extend your congratulations to Tony and Mayra (Resort Manager) for their great job.
We would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. We are taking care of your recommendations and taking the necessary steps in order to avoid these situations in the future.
We look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. If you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was truly a magnificent resort to stay at. Service was excellent, food phenomenal. Rooms that were very large and well decorated, and very clean, and right along the ocean. As a family vacation it's one we will truly remember.Enjoyed our stay very much and would love to one day go there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Fred,
Thank you for your recent stay and posting your nice review. We are so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel guests have.
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and services our great team are always happy to please any request.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you soon.
Sincerely
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is an older hotel with an active time share promotion for the new upgraded hotel next door (Sunset Plaza). The signs of wear are beginning to show (the liner in the pool is beginning to come up, the mattresses on the lounge chairs have tears in the corners, the shower stalls have areas of staining) and it seems as if all efforts are being directed to the Sunset Plaza.

This was a vacation for the whole family (seven people) divided between two suites (a one bedroom and a two bedroom). The room sizes were large and comfortable. The staff is amazing, always ready to help. My sons worked out in the gym every morning and my wife and daughter spent their mornings at the pool. The pool was an active hub, lots of music, games for the kids, exercises sessions for the adults.

I have been traveling with my family for thirty plus years and my children are now 28, 31, and 34. Years ago it was my children who were splashing, screaming, and running up and down the halls...so I want to be fair in my comments. The other guests seemed to be mostly families with small children. Every night, until one o'clock in the morning, the children at this resort were banging on doors, playing hide and seek around the pool, and screaming at each other to the point that I could not get a decent night's sleep for the week. I'm sure those families were having fun but this pace is not suitable for the needs of my slightly older family. It's amazing how cranky an old guy can get..it results in that guy writing a review like this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Mr.
First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments that have a great timing. In September, we are about to initiate our second General Full Maintenance program as the Summer Vacation period is over. We are going to make sure to take special care in the recommendations you kindly pointed out.
Indeed, our Hotel is oriented to families; we even renovate some of our areas to have our Kids Club and a Game Room for teenagers. But even though we strive to provide our family guests with fun activities, your comments help us to identify our opportunity areas such as the late noise from the kids. Our General Manager is aware of your comments and requested to the night shift an action plan to avoid these situations in the future, because our commitment is that all our guests, regardless the age or the reason of the trip, feel in Plaza Pelicanos Grand like home.
Hemingway, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Everything about the Grand Beach was wonderful. We felt welcome and at ease from the moment we checked in. All of the staff was amazing. Everyone from the staff at the front desk to the towel boys were the most helpful and pleasant I have experienced. The concierge desk was great setting up day trips and recommending dining options. In between day trips, we lounged by the pool. This was a trip of a lifetime and the Pelicanos Grand Beach was one of the reasons why.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Tammy,
On behalf of all the staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you in a near future.

Been to Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!