“Lovely!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort to your Saves list
Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jose Clemente Orozco #131 | Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Santa Rosa, California
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I found Plaza Pelicanos to be very comfortable and inviting! We found ALL the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Our room was great, and had a large balcony. We attended the "we promise it's only 90 minutes and we'll give you free stuff" presentation as well. I dreaded it, but we were travelling with light pockets, so the free stuff was appealing. The presentation was...and I'm totally serious...not bad at all. VERY low pressure, and we were treated to an actual complete, hot breakfast rather than the usual coffee, tea and pastry thing. We actually had a nice time chatting with Ricky, Gustavo and Gustavo, and we easily would have been out of there in 90 minutes if we wanted to be. The "city tour" that is offered is really a great way to see Vallarta in a "real" way. Although I was travelling with my husband, I would definitely return with my kids as well. The only negative I can think of is that guests wear wristbands (state fair style - plastic and non-removable). This is a necessary way to keep track of folks who purchased AI packages and I understand that. However, when you go out and about to explore Vallarta, you are easily identified as a tourist. I'd suggest giving guests the option of having the wristbands removed when they are going out and about. Oh, also - we traveled in June, which is the rainy season. Just in case you don't know, rainy season in the tropics is often just big ol afternoon thunderstorms that usually last a few hours at most, and sometimes, less than an hour. We went on the city tour and it rained buckets - which brought the most AMAZING waterfalls to life!

Room Tip: It appeared that many, if not all rooms have a fabulous view of Bandaras Bay, which includes great s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Ali,
Thank you for your comments, we are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Plaza Pelicanos Grand hotel.
The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Schererville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are timeshare owners that have been enjoying Plaza Pelicanos Grand Resort during the winter weeks well over 10 years. The staff is wonderful and excels in making sure your time spent there is stress free. The breakfast buffet has a great variety to meet most visitors’ taste buds every day, if you want a special meal, not a problem, just ask and you might be surprised. If you have a question, just ask the staff for help, need information on the latest restaurant. They are quick to assist you from booking a tour to getting your boarding pass. They will resolve issues as quickly as possible. The grounds are beautifully manicured, the shows are entertaining. The sky bar in the evenings watching the sunset is absolutely incredible, especially with your honey while sipping your favorite drink. The Resort is ideally located in that you could walk to the downtown’s Malecon (board walk), or take a bus, taxis it’s your choice. Every year they are adding new amenities, one of the key ingredient to their allure at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand resort is the great staff. The other is that they have managed to capture the feel that you are family visiting again. The staff takes the time to make you feel welcomed so that you don’t get lost like in the much larger Resorts where you’re just another guest. We have friends that stay in other Resorts but they always manage to find a reason to spend more time in our resort due to the warm and friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bay allows you to enjoy the sunsets
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joseph,
On behalf of all the staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Plaza Pelicanos Grand hotel.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I spent a full 7 days at Plaza Pelicanos and can not speak highly enough of the staff there. The service was impecable and always done with a smile. They are very attentive here and I never felt like a burden. Great food and great drinks. The view from the rooftop lounge was spectacular. I have to give a specific thumbs up to Sergio Torres and Ricardo Reyes who took great care of my party for two dinners at La Flor de Calabaza (on site restaurant). The spa services were also very nice. I felt pampered and relaxed after leaving. An overall OUTSTANDING experience. I will definitely return and will make sure to recommend this property to my family and friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff of Sunset Plaza hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
I shared your good comments with our General Manager and the staff involved.
We are proud to hear that we were up to your expectations at this your home on the beach, Sunset Plaza Hotel.
Hempstead, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I just came back yesterday (5/25/13) from a week vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I was supposed to stay a week at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach and left after only one night.

So depending on your hotel expectations is going to decide if you like this hotel or not. For me I would consider it a two star. I like bigger hotels with a lot of amenities, big pool areas, nice beaches, newer rooms and good food. Plaza Pelicanos didn't have any of this. It is an older (i think built in the 70's) more boutique hotel. The pool area is very small the restaurants are older and small and there is no beach area. We had a one bedroom suite, with two baths and it is a noticeably older hotel with big rooms. The kitchen area in the rooms seemed to be the newest feature in the rooms, but we found ants all on the countertops in the kitchen!!!

What kind of sold me on this hotel was the reviews that is was a close walk to town. It is in-fact a close walk to the midtown area, but its NOT in the marina area which I had originally thought. Don't be fooled by the reviews when it says it is close walk to things, there is nothing in this area you would really want!!!! it's not the downtown or marina area and unless you want burger king (which my boyfriend did have to get one night because service at the hotel stopped at 6pm) or Mega supermarkets I really not sure why you would need to be in this are. This area has most of the old hotels and I personally would not recommend the area or the this hotel.

So after arriving I wanted to leave and tried to negotiate a deal to get out and be switched to the new hotel next door (which didn't work) but then their extreme timeshare practices made me know I HAD to leave.

To put my experience in perspective if you have never been to Mexico, they are really really aggressive with timeshare presentations. Usually they catch you in the airport to do them, but honestly anywhere you go they are trying to pitch you to come to a presentation and they will shower you with gifts to go. My boyfriend and I are the perfect couple for this. We actually LIKE to take them and usually will do one presentation wherever we travel. So coming to Puerto Vallarta we accepted a presentation at the airport. Another thing to note is they are very very secretive about the presentation you accept and ask you to not tell the hotel you are staying at etc. So we always honor this rule and we didn't tell Plaza Pelicanos about our presentation.

After arriving to Plaza Pelicanos we meet with them in the evening and they kept asking us to see their presentation and we told them we would let them know the next day if in fact we wanted to see it or not. I am not sure what tipped them off but they were relentless in us NOT going to see the presentation at the other hotel. So this is where their timeshare practice became extreme and downright over the top.....

This trip we were traveling with a another couple and my friend is 7 months pregnant (and wasn't feeling the best) so the hotel called her at 8am Sunday morning, woke her and her husband up and told them they had been calling our room and couldn't get in touch with us but the person we were meeting for our presentation that morning called and said they couldn't make it because they had to pick up another couple. My pregnant friend rushed to our room nervous thinking some happened to us to deliver a message that was NOT true. She was so upset thinking something happened to us when in fact the hotel had not called our room once. They used our friend to find out if we had a meeting that morning. I guess by her response they figured out we did. THEN they called our room (after disturbing and lying to my pregnant friend at 8am) to give us the same stupid story!!! My boyfriend and I knew it was a lie, proceed downstairs and then we were met at the door by the timeshare representative and harassed and lied to for us not to go on the tour. That did it for me...I was very upset by the extreme practice for a timeshare presentation.

My boyfriend and I went on the tour, stuck a deal with that hotel came back packed up both rooms and checked out!!! I will not stay at a hotel that goes to the length to lie and upset a pregnant women for a timeshare presentation. They should be ashamed of how they conduct business!!! I plan on writing to the group that owns this hotel about this situation. It was very very upsetting and unwarranted.

Once w changed hotels it was like being in heaven and we had a WONDERFUL trip.

So my final advice:
I would say stay here at your own risk. I had a bad experience and would not recommend it and will absolutely never come back here. It's an old hotel, in an old part of town with bad business practices.

I couldn't find any reason to stay here and I am sure you won't either. Stay in the marina area where the hotels are much nicer!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We only chose to stay here because our friend was using some timeshare points for his stay. The hotel is in a grittier part of town but a cheap cab ride can take you anywhere you would want to go. One good thing about the location is its proximity to some large grocery/department stores. We booked on Travelocity as part of a package which included "all inclusive" food/beverage. The breakfast was actually really good; we never tried their lunch or dinner though as PV has too many good restaurants to be eating hotel food. The rooms are clean but the atmosphere is a bit sterile and basic. The beds are surprisingly really comfortable - some of the best sleep I've had in a long time (could also be all the sun/booze I had during the day). They only give two small bottles of water during your stay so you end up having to buy water from the hotel or go to the nearby store to buy a big jug. The staff is pretty much friendly and most of them speak English. The pool is average but it's hard to relax over the loud music and activity coordinator talking on the microphone. Overall, the resort is okay but the pictures make it look a lot nicer and bigger than it really is. It seems to be a very popular destination for Mexican families. This would be a good hotel if you plan to spend most of your time in the city/attractions or laying on the other beaches (not the hotel's). I was tempted to give this a "Poor" rating but I'm trying my best to be fair as we had a uniquely bad last couple of days. The hotel hosted high school kids for a national cheerleading competition while we were staying there. Our room was in the middle of a block of rooms filled with these kids. The doors/walls provided no sound proofing so we basically could hear everything. The last night we stayed, the kids were up screaming, yelling, and pounding on doors until 4:30 in the morning. The hotel staff did NOTHING to stop the noise. A real "grand beach resort" would care about the comfort of their guests and not book out to high schoolers just to fill some rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chapala, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

March 2-9, 2013 Plaza Pelicanos Grand Puerto Vallarta
Okay RCI trade but nothing to make me return.
WE arrived and check in went smooth with some slight confusion and very little information given. I had been emailing the concierge Gabriel Garcia and thus did meet him and found him pleasant, friendly and helpful.
The AI was optional and you could do it for as many or as few days as you wanted, that was convenient. We decided to do a timeshare presentation before being on site for 1/2 off the AI , so went from $80.p/pd to $40/p/d US. At $80. this AI would not be anywhere near worth the cost, at $40, it was even debatable. Lunch and supper were buffets except for some specialty dinner times which were sit down. The buffet was lacking, in variety and quality but edible and appeared clean. The waiters were okay especially once they knew you were a tipper, hmm. More on the food to follow.
Our room a 2 bedroom unit was spacious but very dated. It was clean but needed some repairs, holes noted in curtains, and definate decorating. You could lock off the rooms convenient when traveling with others. The kitchen was small but had a apartment size refrigerator, 4 burner stove, microwave, coffeepot, sink, dishes, etc. Served the purpose well. They gave you a gallon of purified water free but had a tag on it saying there would be a charge for more. What the charge was I have no clue as we bought off site. There were no extras included like sodas, snacks, juice or such in refrigerator. Room service was available but only till 6pm...never heard of that before but we utilized it and it was timely...There was no real kitchen table just a small table in master bedroom with two chairs and a counter so we ate on coffee table in living room. Beyond the kitchen was the living room, L shaped couch, small flat screen tv and an armoire for storage and a safe, placed on top shelf so had to use a chair to reach it . 2 large windows faced out of living room over tiled roofs and onto pool area and ocean. View was okay, but lot of roof seen. Certainly not ocean front, unless you were higher up.
The master bedroom had a king size bed, side tables,lamps and a small flat screen tv, with its own off hallway entrance and bathroom. Closet space was plentiful. There was also a small hotel type table in this bedroom with two chairs, lighting was quite dim but tolerable and plugs were at a minimum. The bathroom had a sink, vanity, tub, with shower and toilet. It was of decent size. They did supply soap, shampoo, body cream and conditioner. They also gave you thru your week stay one shower cap. Towels were plentiful , facecloths and hot water. There was a tiny balcony off the master bedroom where you could sit 2 people.
To the other side of unit was the second bedroom with 2 beds, matrimonial size, I believe, small flat screen tv, sliders onto another blacony for 2 people, and a bathroom, similar to master bath. There was also a third bathroom with just sink, toilet and shower as you entered into kitchen. That was convenient. Can never have enough space or bathrooms. The beds were comfortable as were pillows, cannot always be said in Mexico. The A/C only worked fair but at least it worked.
The doors to the unit were quite flimsy and hallway noise was quite obvious especially at night as folks came in. There were some spring breakers there who on a few occasions were noisy very late at night but not a big issue. So in essence the room was a basic 2-3 star unit, clean but lacking decor, needing some updates and decorating. Served my needs for bathrooms, refrigerator, and space. My mother was fine with it, but she goes free so why not. Hubby was not thrilled, felt our traded unit was much better but he only stayed 3 days so not a big issue. I found the resort conveniently located but parking was at a minimum so we never moved car once there, we walked or took taxis.
Specialty Restaurant Flor de Cabaza, nice decor , sometimes in , sometimes out, some nights a show others not, but no correct info supplied. Brazilian Night was fair at best, very disorganized. Food just fair and service less than desirable, waiters obviously very stressed to point of actually being nasty. Snack Bar La Candalaria by pool hamburgs, hotdogs, fries, cerviche, drinks etc..just okay . We did partake of the Specialty Restaurant Japanese night, again only fair but better than Brazilian.
Supper buffet very limited choices, decent food, no raves but drink service was okay, though limited. Many upcharges for premium alcohol. This was at La Pergola, the open aired restaurant on site. The breakfast buffet here was good no complaints.
Pool chairs absolute nightmare. Towel cards and recieve towels at towel hut, told man there no chairs anywhere, oh well! Went to Mayra the resort manager who did eventually find and have some chairs moved for us but said they have a rule of not reserving chairs yet everyone was blatantly doing it , but no one enforced it, so essentially useless. She seemed not to care much, I mentioned very few chairs for number of guests she agreed, and said yes I know, done deal! Hmm. We experienced this issue many days, going another time to concierge Gabriel, he also knew it was an issue but not much concern. Did find us chairs though. The beach was not great here and very limited seating. The pool was decent and clean but many spring breakers were in it most times and at times they were obnoxious but for the most part they were fine.
The maids were good, but cleaned room quite late like 3-4pm. Much too late for me, as usually back in room by 4ish. No turn down service, but I rarely use that anyway.
Room service, limited menu but good service, decent portions, and food okay. Delivery quick and efficient. There were many items on menu for aditional charge if having a celebration like flowers, chocolate covered starwberries room decorations etc..so if in need that would be convenient. Breakfast room service was very good.
They have a roof top sky bar, dark, nice chairs, once you sit cannot see skyline anyway, too dangerous at night walking up there, many levels. Drinks could be obtained here, where as many not available in La Pergola. Other than here really no place to sit , relax and enjoy a drink...we went once and not again, just too dangerous and too dark..
The timeshare presentation was medium to low pressure but was actually selling timeshares at Sunset Plaza which of course looked awesome in comparison to Plaza Pelicanos Grand. We would like to trade into Sunset Plaza and might have even contemplated something there if prices had been reasonable and they worked more with us, but not...Higher AI, would move us right away but have to pay more for AI, no trying it out, etc..and a few glitches that we knew were untruths, so we opted not to partake, best anyway, already own too many..LOL.
We had a decent stay, despite hubby leaving early and he clearly implied he was glad as did not care for resort at all. I would not return most likely but if I did it would be just for room, not the AI, and only in shoulder season as too many issues with lounge chairs. Also if you could be assured the tower on the ocean that looked much newer and nicer than where we were located, but I only saw it from outside.
We did the usual roamed about town, went to Malecon, shopped, and had our two best meals off site...One was at Cuetes and Cuetes in South Side where we met up with some friends. Cheap eats, good beers, very cold and awesome popcorn. Perfect view of Pier and music as night wore on. Would return and have written review.
The best meal was had at Blakes Restaurant where again we met up with friends..Had reservations and went on Prime Rib night. 180 pesos for Prime Rib as you liked, mashed potateos, green beans and carrots and Yorkshire pudding. Strawberry margarita quite large. Slow service but well worth it and will def. return. Have written review.
So on the whole our room was spacious and served a basic stay. Nothing fancy but clean. Food too limited, very low quality, for the most part. Service questionable. Lounge chairs a big issue here, along with inability to sit at night and enjoy a drink somewhere with service other than sky bar. Location of resort fine, shopping close by etc. If looking for a cheap place to stay, reasonably located for a basic stay, this would suit your needs. Best things for me were spaciousness and numerous bathrooms. No real complaints other than loungers but real raves either.

Room Tip: Try to get tower not villas area, appears newer and closer to ocean..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Peoria, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is going to be a somewhat long, but detailed review of what was good and what wasn't.

The short upfront version is: Stay at the Sunset Plaza next door.

We purchased our second bundle of points here 2 years ago when we stayed at the Sunset Plaza next door. For our purchase, we were given a free weeks stay at the Sunset Plaza, point free. All we had to pay was the maintenance fees (about 300 dollars). We decided to use a little less points over here to stay for our remaining 3 days in Mexico. We rented out the 1 bedroom. We had to call the mexico properties to make our reservations. When doing so, they made an error.. they had us checking out of the Sunset on the 27th, and in at the Plaza on the 28th!! So we had to pay out of pocket for the night of the 27th, although we did get a discount for being Shell owners it was 140 bucks after tax!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that place costed that much. Luckily, they had availability. We assumed that Pelicanos and Sunset operated in a similar fashion as it pertained to the amenenities, service, and pricing, as they are both owned by the same organization. Do not be fooled.

Although it is an older facility, the rooms had nice tile and granite, but the walls were hideous. The ceilings were low. The 1 bedroom was actually 2 rooms joined by a hotel divider. My guess is that the studio was the part with the kitchen, and the other was a normal hotel room. At any rate, the beds in the kitchen area were rock hard. The pillows were crap, although they had a pillow menu. But,... they wanted to charge you $1 a day for them! They didn't do that next door. We read through the huge owners "manual" and it said there was free wifi in the lobby for owners, and we would just have to ask for it. Well... no such free wifi exists and if you want it for your wireless devices, there was an $11 USD per day charge. But they had a computer center that they gave out keys for use of 20 minutes at a time. Problem is, the computers are so OLD and SLOW!! Single core processors, that are using outdated versions of Internet Explorer, so multiple websites do not load to a usable state. I kid you not, it took 5 minutes just to open Hotmail!! The printer was out of paper, and when I asked for some, I was given 5 sheets. To top it off, the copies of Windows XP they were using were not geniune. What a PIA!!! Next door the computers were great and they offered free (although somewhat slow) wifi.

We had purchased all inclusive over at this resort as well. But, buyer beware. It goes from noon to noon. Breakfast is buffet style, and the food was actually really good. Lots of authentic mexican dishes. No complaints with breakfast. However, lunch does not start until 1 pm. No room service, not anything. There is a snack bar down in the pool area... but guess what? It is not included. Here you can get burgers, hot dogs, fries and what not. Otherwise, if you want lunch, you need to wait until after 1 pm and hit the buffet. Again. After we got our all inclusive bracelets, we tried to make a reservation for the restaurant (can't remember its name), but we were told it was full. We went down at dinner anyway, and there was only 2 tables taken. They took us right in. The food there was great, our server was incredible. It was a good time.

The next morning we had breakfast, and wanted to hit lunch, but that is when we realized, we had to wait until after noon. What a bummer.

The pool area is incredibly cramped. I mean jam packed. Although we are in Mexico, this property was filled with large Mexican families and was catered more towards the Nationals than the tourists. I do not have a problem with this, except for there are so many kids in the pool it is a little irritating to get water splashed into your drink. They had daily activities, and a little bit more lively music by the pool than next door. The entertainment staff also did a bar hop at night, but we did not attend. The wait staff inside and outside is impeccable. They cannot be beat. Luis Angel was hilarious and fun, and was just a drink server.

This facility is a Corona resort, and you can't go wrong with that. I drink beer and tequila only, but the foo foo drinks here were really not that great (according to the ladies in the group) and tasted kinda bad.

A really cool thing about this place is that they had a "sky bar", a bar upstairs on the roof of the tower. This bar did not serve beer, but they did serve strong drinks like martinis and the like. This was included in the all inclusive, which was nice. The music though, was SUPER lame. Beach boys, and other lame oldies. It would have been much better and more adult oriented had they mixed in a top 40 or something of the like.

I gave 2 out of 5 for the following reasons:
Reservation Mistake
Timing of all inclusive (couldn't get lunch or room service before all inclusive ran out)
All inclusive was partially inclusive.
Crappy pillows and the nickel and diming of everything.
No free Wifi for owners, and crummy computers that take EONS to operate.
Check out was at 11 am instead of noon next door.
Pool was too crowded.

Room Tip: Stay at the sunset plaza next door if you are shell vacations owner.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!