“LOTS OF VERY VERY LOUD MUSIC” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort

You added Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort to your Saves list
Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jose Clemente Orozco #131 | Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #43 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
santa clarita, california
“LOTS OF VERY VERY LOUD MUSIC”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is our first stay at this resort through our timeshare exchange. We've stayed at many other resorts in the Puerto Vallarta/Puerto Nuevo area over 20 years and for the most part have had enjoyable experiences. Our one bedroom condo is OK but very sterile in the decor area...and has a beautiful view of the bay...which us a shame because the extremely loud and constant music and screaming from the pool area in the center of the resort has caused us to ask for a room on the street side of the building which is actually quieter. We love music, we love laughter but when it's bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam,bam,bam,bam,etc, unless you;re 20 years old, it gives you a headache. We opted out of the all inclusive so we paid ala carte for our lunch - if you can call it that - it was a chaotic run on poorly displayed food that was not that good. I;ve NEVER given a bad review before, but I had to with this place. We still haven't heard back on a room change, but this is going to be a very loooooong week until we can go home,

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first time staying here and we were very impressed. I am in the hotel industry so I know what service is all about and their level of service and the genuine friendliness of all the staff was outstanding. Two people in particular that I would like to thank, Antoino and Xunaxui, both were exceptional. The rooms were nice, had everything that you need and the location was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel, you won't be dissapointed. And a special "Thank you" to Mayra.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rees, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We werre there two weeks in December 2011. The staff was very friendly the food was great and since we did not like our first room they gave us a better one. The cook should get a star and Captain Canales was more than friendly and helping. We would go there everytime

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a timeshare owner, I pay a lot on maintenance fees throughout the year and hope for my money's worth when I make a choice for my vacation. Shell has two Puerto Vallarta options in their system, Pelicanos and Sunset. I choose Pelicanos based on comments by a shell advisor that turned out to be bad advise. He told me that Pelicanos was better because it reflected traditional Mexico. What he didn't tell me was Sunset was brand spanking new and absolutely beautiful. Incidentally, we learned that by taking a timeshare presentation from Pelicanos.

Pelicanos is more traditionally Mexican in styling and very popular with vacationing Mexicans but it is getting older . I think the Mexican tourists are great but it was so busy that finding room in the pool was almost always a challenge and finding a lounge chair was darn near impossible.

We only ate twice in the buffet because we prefer to explore the local haunts when on vacation. The buffet was ok, nothing bad or spectacular- the service was great. In fact the people who work in the hotel, from maids to front desk, are extremely friendly. There are two specialty restaurants on sight but I neither ate there or looked at them.

The room was a bit of a problem for my wife and I. They are big and airy but unfortunately not airy enough to sweep out the very strong smell of mildew. It was very bad. We gave it about an hour or so to see if it would diminish or if we would adjust. It didn't nor did we, so we asked to be moved. They showed us another facing the ocean that was just as bad. They showed us one that had a partial ocean view that still had a slight musty smell but we felt we could deal with it. In fairness, I didn't ask to see more so I don't know if they are all musty.

Gabriel, the manager, a sweetheart through it all, had a dehumidifier brought up that we used for the entire 12 days. It helped somewhat but we never really did get rid of the smell. In fact upon return home, a couple articles of clothing left unused in the hotel closet, smelled strongly of mildew.

Mildew was the only major issue, but enough that would prevent me from returning unless they make a major announcement of severe bleaching in all of the rooms. Again to give credit where it is due, Gabriel, credited my shell account with enough points to rent a studio for a week. Very generous.

Our next visit to PV should we return, will be at the Sunset Plaza, which is stunning- if we decide to return to the hotel zone, which is a bus or taxi ride to old town (or a 45 minute hot walk). We may decide to get a place in old town and use the timeshare points on another trip.

Room Tip: don't settle on a smelly room- don't unpack until you are satisfied, Ocean view is lovely b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washougal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was the first time we stayed at this resort. The 2 bedroom unit was very large. The pool was always packed with kids, not sure where they all came from, but not much room in the pool. There was only one waiter running nonstop trying to keep up with the orders around the pool area. Pool was not very clean by midmorning due to so many people. We ate a few meals on site, did not do the all inclusive, the food wasn't that good. The people working were fantastic, just too many people to enjoy the pool. Great location tho.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this all inclusive on a whim. It turned out to be very relaxing and generally a good expereince. Some of the restaurant options were closed due to a special event and the hotel was more than willing to "make this right" for us. The food was very good, the staff exceptional. The resort very clean and the rooms were nice. The beach access was closed for a few days due to the event and the hotel shuttled us to the more exclusive beach club where we had a great time. In general I give the management and "excellent" and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Murphy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have stayed here 4 times and it has always been very good. It can get fairly booked up during high seasons with Mexican families and a lot of kids. Puerto Vallarta is the vacation destination for many Mexican families from Guadalajara, so you are going to have lots of families with children there during the Summer when school is out.

This year I went over Labor Day weekend for 10 days and it was very quiet and not crowded at all. Once all the families with kids left, dinner was in the Ala Carte every night, no reservation needed!! The food was wonderful..

The staff is very friendly and the waiters always greet me by name when I arrive. The rooms are clean and the service is very good. The buffet food is usually very good, lots of fresh fruits and salads, along with several Mexican dishes, beef, pork, chicken and fresh fish. There is always a cook at breakfast and dinner for cooked to order eggs, omlets, pancakes and french toast, and steak, chops, or fish at dinner. Of course the Ala Carte resturant is much better but you do need to make reservations early in the morning.

The drinks are just average unless you tip the waiter or bartender! A few good tips and you will be amazed at how good the drinks are and how quickly they are replaced before empty!! Take a LOT of US $1 with you, you'll need them and be glad you had them!

The location is very good for PV. Don't judge the resort by the street as you arrive!! My first time there I thought what did I get myself into here? Once you get into the resort and have a drink, you won't care about the streets!! There are actually some nice shops across the street and basically whatever you need or want is within a block.

Close to downtown, close to the Marina, and close enough to the airport without being so close you hear the planes! A Taxi is about $5 US to the Marina or downtown, $8 to the airport. From the airport, Taxi's are $20 due to the airport tax the drivers have to pay when leaving the airport. Walk across the street outside the airport and a Taxi is only $5 to the resort.

I am a timeshare owner so perhaps my experience is different than others have had. In any event, I will be back again over New Years and I'm sure it will be packed with families and kids.. I have been told that you can see the Whales in the Bay from the resort during the winter when they come to PV to have their babies.

Room Tip: I usually get an Ocean Front condo, but as an owner you do get better room choices since the front t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo