“Melia Puerto Vallarta Was Beyond All Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo De La Marina Sur 7 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
London, Canada
“Melia Puerto Vallarta Was Beyond All Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Since 1990 my husband and I have vacationed in Mexico 15 times. We had been to the Melia in Vallarta in 1998 but had spent the past years at the Golden Crown because it was smaller and we thought better for us......wrong! We spent two wonderful weeks in the Melia, May 8th to the 22nd. We knew going in that it was a "low season" and we would not have all of the restaurants and perks one would enjoy in the "high season". What we did get was a beautiful hotel with staff anxious to meet and exceed our needs. The food was lovingly prepared and always fresh and bountiful. We had some meals where the food was the same as the previous days but think about it, they are using fresh ingredients, clean kitchens, lovely displays and serving dishes, a wide range of foods, all sorts of breads, buns, cakes and best of all you are able to eat these meals in Mexico, under the Mexican sun and feel the breeze from the ocean! We had a few small issues with our room and each issue was corrected in minutes. Our A/C was poor and the repairman was at the door in 10 minutes and found that the previous guest had stuffed paper into the face of the unit. It was corrected and the room was cool. We also had minor room issues and not the fault of the hotel but our own fault. I have a tear in my ACL and can't endure lots of steps. I went to see Mr. Brian Lopez in Customer Service and he was quick to find me a room that was only a short walk to the Palapa and the pool! By the way, the tourist who said nobody spoke english was mistaken. All of the key personnel speak english. As far as not meeting anyone they could "party" with and "hang out with" ....there is a universal language we all should speak and it's called....respect and kindness. We had lots of people who smiled and greeted us and lots of families visiting that went out of their way to try and understand us. At this time of year many Mexican people visit the resorts. This was a great revelation to us. We got to see how much the culture of the Mexican people focus on their wives and families. The men were so attentive to their children and the wives were so beautiful and well taken care of. It was a pleasure to surround ourselves with these good examples of family love....Now about the drinks. We are older people and we are enjoy cocktails before dinner and wine with our meals. We love drinks at noon too when on vacation. We had rum, scotch, gin, beer and special coffee. We didn't enjoy the red wine served but we sure drank tons of the white. One night we purchased a California red but we decided to stick with the hotel wine. If anyone writes negative remarks about this property and their experience I feel sorry that they did not find the Melia we experienced. We are returning in late April next year for 2 weeks again. The pool is huge and with low occupancy, we felt like we had it to ourselves. By the way, the tiles in the pool are repaired constantly. I am sure that in our own homes in North America we have ongoing repairs so please stop saying the pool is ugly or not in good repair. One of the guests when we were there asked the bartenders to fill two huge jugs with rum and coke. The bartender refused saying he would only serve as consumed. This is the sort of tourist who probably wrote a bad review. Some people act like fools on vacation and get upset when the resorts put restrictions on them. Note: filling huge jugs with pop and booze would taste like flat pop after a short time so what is the point. I hope anyone reading my review will see that this resort is a good buy. We paid $4,402.00 US for two weeks plus added health and travel insurance and we feel it was worth every penny. Be aware that the Hotel gets a small amount of the package price as the Airlines soak up most of it. We had four flights for 2 people (changed planes in Dallas), transfers and service of a tour representative. How much money do you all think the resorts have to work with and provide us with optimum service. Mexico is our second home. We work hard just to afford going back and we feel safe and relaxed when we are there. We use taxis to go to Mass each weekend and we have some special restaurants downtown we visit. We have always felt that the Mexican people value tourism and the money we spend while we are there. It is important to also point out that we save money in a jar for tips. Each vacation, we bring $350 to $450 dollars with us for tips. We have never felt we had to tip. We tip because of the excellent care we are given. I hope this helps with your travel decisions. G and R Gibbons

Room Tip: If you have trouble with walking, tell the front desk on check in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was our first visit to Mexico :) the hotel was beautiful! Rooms were very clean. We were in the wrong style room but they had no problem moving us to the king room. Food was pretty good! Kinda boring after a week but still tasty. The vultures( people selling on the beach) drove me nuts but just keep saying no thank you and WALk away no eye contact lol. Freddy with Vallarta adventure( where u get kyats from) is AMAZING he is now a life long friend!!!! We did a couple tours atv and fishing it was a blast. The drinks were tasty not watered down at all. We went downtown a couple different days felt very safe. Over all we had a very relaxing time

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We just got back from a two night stay at this hotel. We were scheduled to stay the week, but changed to an all inclusive (due to buying a membership at another resort) in Nuevo Vallarta which had a great beach, food, and accommodations. Melia was beautiful in the lobby, probably the most beautiful entrance and grounds for a hotel that I have seen. Not much positive to say after that. My wife and I do not have kids, so if we had kids we may have a different review as this hotel is geared towards entertaining kids.

We had lunch there one day at the buffet, and the food was pretty bland and not very good. Almost everything tasted funky and we were glad we did not pay for the all inclusive. There was a Cerveza bar outside the hotel with food and good drinks across the street to the right that we enjoyed and would recommend instead for lunch or a light dinner. Also, our room was at the very end of the hotel, and we had no hot water the first morning, and the second morning we had hardly any. Not that you wanted to take hot showers there at the end of May, but some hot water first thing in the morning would have been nice. We were in a room in Club Melia which is used by RCI members, and the room smelled stale, like it had been closed up for a while and they hadn't changed the air filter. The air conditioning also was not very strong and the room was just bareable in the hot and humid weather we were in. It was a little warm at night and the bed was pretty hard. The beach was small and there was not enough room to really take any kind of walk. It was also not all that pretty, but beaches around Puerto Vallarta are not that great. There are decent beaches in Neuvo Vallarta (20 minutes north of downtown), but if you are looking for a beach, Cancun would probably be a better choice. I think if the Melia improved their food and made sure hot water was getting to all rooms and that the air in the rooms smelled better, it would be a good hotel given how beautiful the grounds are. They just need to step up the service and quality control here. After staying at another place in Nuevo Vallarta that same week with superior food, accommodations, beach, pool, and service, we would not go back to the Melia except to walk around the grounds.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Puerto Vallarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The grounds are amazing. If you like to eat on vacation, make reservations each night. The buffet qualities are poor. The fruit was either not ripe or smelled/tasted like wet dog! The lettuce was dry and in large chunks. The fresh omlettes were very good each morning.

Absolutely no swimming on the beach here.

All inclusive should be used loosley as they have a mark up on certain drinks including coffee as well as activities you would like to partake in. All inclusive means buffets, reservations for dinner if made (but wine is extra at dinner plus some of the meals are extra) and a place to sleep. You have to pay for coffee for your coffee maker in your room!

They put us in the wrong sized bed and then told us they could not promise what we reserved. The next day, they had someone with our size bed check out and called to move us. When we brought our luggage downstairs, they said it would be another 2 hours till the room was ready so we waited in the lobby. We were not compensated for this inconvenience or even offered anything for our troubles.

One day our room was cleaned and they left us with no towels. Easily fixed.

Note about PV- they know your a tourist and everything has a steep price. $10 for 6 oz sunscreen, $10 for a towel you need for an excursion that was not listed that you need it (Beach Boy), $14 for bug spray, $20 for over the counter medicine. Be prepared to pay and they convert USD at whatever price they want. Better to have Peso's.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

West Bend, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

It was just ok. I liked the garden view I was given but would have preferred an ocean view. I am never in my room long enough to enjoy it so why pay $40 extra a night to look at water when you can just walk down there.
The room was ok it had ants in it every day even on our toothbrush... gross. Beds were rock hard but we were given extra pillows.
Food was ok for a few days but became very repetitive but never went hungry.
The resort as a whole was very Mexican and I'm used to less than 50% as I usually go to Cancun or Cozumel. It was hard to find Americans to talk to or hang out with and found the locals to be very rude manners wise.
It was ok and very relaxing, the staff worked hard and was the best part. I will not return to this hotel but it wasn't the worst vacation I have ever had. If you have small children it seems like this is, your place. Adults that want a little more fun and something new everyday should look elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Puerto Vallarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel itself was beautiful. Unfortunately we were constantly harassed by sales people to see some timeshare presentation - which became very irritating! The food was average, not much variety. Most of the hotel staff do not speak English, which was upsetting. When you pay the kind of money I did to stay here - I was not impressed that no one could help me - because not one speaks English!!! The water in the rooms occasionally would run yellow. Entertainment was boring - Bar areas are not very accommodating. There were far too many events booked at this hotel which interfered with the stay - in the sense things were restricted half the time!

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone nor will I be returning for a stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort in April. My parents belong to the Melia Vacation Club so we were able to get a suite with an ocean view. The room was great. It was huge, super clean, and very convenient because it had two bathrooms, three beds (two pull out couches), a small cooking area/dining room, whirlpool and two balconies. I have never had a more comfortable room on vacation. It was really nice for my family (2 kids, 2 parents) to have our own space after being together all day. Besides the room, this resort sucked. Our room was totally paid for by my parents, but if my husband and I were paying for it, we would have been very disappointed and I will not return to the resort again- free or not. The hotel in itself is very outdated and ugly. The pool is in bad shape- dirty looking and missing many tiles, no hot tub, or at least not one that worked. We had breakfast/lunch twice in the all-inclusive restaurant and the food was tasteless and yet kind of gross at the same time. We ate all other meals outside the
resort which got very expensive after 8 days, but better than the
hotel food. There just wasn't much to do at the resort. The pool area was just ok, the beach area is small and not picturesque, and my kids are a little too old for the Flintstone play areas. There was a fun balancing rope that we played on for an hour. It was the best part of the resort. My son did the batting cages as well, we took a short dance lesson, played foosball and shuffleboard. We only spent one full day hanging out at the resort and did everything there was to do (besides pay extra for a really weak mini golf course) so we spent the rest of the days on excursions (this also got very expensive!). Service was just ok in all areas and the time share people would not leave us alone, despite telling them my family already belonged to the club and we has no intention of joining. Apparently the other Melia resorts are very nice and upscale. This is their oldest and worst resort so they probably shouldn't be pitching sales based on this place! We have stayed at many other (non Melia) resorts in Mexico and they were all nicer, more fun, and had better service.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!