“Outdated and blah” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo De La Marina Sur 7 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Outdated and blah”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort in April. My parents belong to the Melia Vacation Club so we were able to get a suite with an ocean view. The room was great. It was huge, super clean, and very convenient because it had two bathrooms, three beds (two pull out couches), a small cooking area/dining room, whirlpool and two balconies. I have never had a more comfortable room on vacation. It was really nice for my family (2 kids, 2 parents) to have our own space after being together all day. Besides the room, this resort sucked. Our room was totally paid for by my parents, but if my husband and I were paying for it, we would have been very disappointed and I will not return to the resort again- free or not. The hotel in itself is very outdated and ugly. The pool is in bad shape- dirty looking and missing many tiles, no hot tub, or at least not one that worked. We had breakfast/lunch twice in the all-inclusive restaurant and the food was tasteless and yet kind of gross at the same time. We ate all other meals outside the
resort which got very expensive after 8 days, but better than the
hotel food. There just wasn't much to do at the resort. The pool area was just ok, the beach area is small and not picturesque, and my kids are a little too old for the Flintstone play areas. There was a fun balancing rope that we played on for an hour. It was the best part of the resort. My son did the batting cages as well, we took a short dance lesson, played foosball and shuffleboard. We only spent one full day hanging out at the resort and did everything there was to do (besides pay extra for a really weak mini golf course) so we spent the rest of the days on excursions (this also got very expensive!). Service was just ok in all areas and the time share people would not leave us alone, despite telling them my family already belonged to the club and we has no intention of joining. Apparently the other Melia resorts are very nice and upscale. This is their oldest and worst resort so they probably shouldn't be pitching sales based on this place! We have stayed at many other (non Melia) resorts in Mexico and they were all nicer, more fun, and had better service.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I'm a Club Melia member and I have visited several Melia Hotels before and after becoming a member of the Club Melia ( Time Share , sort of ).....And I just visited All Inclusive Melia Resort at Puerto Vallarta Mexico......Not very impressed but a little surprised that it wasn't that bad as some reviews I red before making my reservation .
The food was within my expectations and the grounds are well kept.
I was glad that a lot of the personnel speaks english, though I speak spanish fluently and some french.
The beach area is not one of the best in Vallarta, there is a lot of rocks and stones and the beach is very short and uneven , but enjoyable .
The food and service at a la carte restaurants are ok.....witch I choose to go for dinner every single day.
The food at the buffet restaurant tend to repeat! specially when small crowds are staying at the resort depending on the day of the week , but still is ok food. But if you are the kind of person that only eat hamburgers, hot dogs and fries!!!!....you will be disappointed .

The captains at the restaurants are well behaved and very attentive.

I was going to write down my review at the Club Melia website, but unfortunately they don't allow a well and detailed criticism or they don't want to deal with it...So pity .

Outstanding the service I got from vacation concierge desk JUDITH AVALOS and JOSE LUIS at the Club Melia office, unfortunately I can't say the same from a lot of the management personnel in those offices.

Room Tip: Tower # 1 with ocean view are great ( if you can afford ) and away from the theatre Tower # 3 a li...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We went to Melia Resort in Puerto Vallarta for a weekend, and at first I was not so very enthusiastic about this hotel, but after the 3 days we spent there, my perception really changed. Great food, excellent variety in drinks, and for me, as a dessert lover, the quality, taste and flavour were way beyond my expectatives.
Great attention from the staff, clean facilities, this hotel is an excellent option for families, we went in a big family group, (15 persons in all range of ages) and we spent a great time there, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The higher number of the room gets a better view; for example, our room was 1301, close to the eleva...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Servici0_al_Huesped, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know your impression about the hotel. We appreciate that you gave us the chance to serve you. Again, thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Guest Experience Manager
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Its hard to believe that I can eat much better food on the side of the road than at this all inclusive. Think about that for a second- a street vendor is spending more money and time on ingredients than a place who can buy theirs in bulk. It doesn't make sense.

Its an inexpensive option to stay in PV but I wouldn't eat there. If you do go, make sure to specifically indicate the liquor you would like in your drink or you will get bottom shelf. I imagine its great for families who don't want to worry about their kids but that's about it.

The concierge also called a restaurant that we wanted to eat at and demanded a cut from the owner to make a reservation which was extremely classless and not at all in our best interest. I would contact the restaurants directly for reservations if you can if you don't want to support this crappy behavior.

That all being said, the other hotels in the area or a nice airbnb seem like a better idea than the Melia. I will not be returning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from our vacation at Melia and we were very disappointed with most everything. The only good things I can say about it are that they did have very entertaining shows nightly and it is in a good location. We were able to walk to the Marina, and it was a short cab ride to Marina Terminal and El Malecon (the boardwalk). The food there was terrible at the restaurant and buffets, there were several times when I could not even eat the food because it was so disgusting and we went off the resort to eat. They only had one restaurant open our entire stay (which was 8 days) so if we had no option and if we wanted to have a nice dinner at the hotel we had to eat from the same, small menu every night. The entire building smelled like mold, especially the elevators. The staff there was not friendly at all, they all looked as if they did not want to be there and they were rude. The only nice employee we met was Adrian, he was working the activities area and he would go out of his way to say hi to us, was always smiling, and actually took time to get to know us. Also, the water in our bathtub/shower was coming out dark yellow when we went to take a shower. I called and spoke to the front desk about this and they simply told me we needed to let the water run longer before we took a shower and that would turn clear eventually, to me that is unacceptable and horrible customer service. Our mini fridge was only re-stocked on our second day there and after that we had to call for them to deliver our beverages if we wanted them. I feel if you are looking for a hotel in a nice area that you are able to walk around outside the hotel, good shows, and very kid friendly this is a nice place for you. If you are looking for good customer service, even average food, cleanliness, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Servici0_al_Huesped, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

We will consider your comments and thanks for taking the time to write.

It is important to inform you that we are saddened that your stay has been very unpleasant. Because the points you mention are usually our forte. The quality of our food and service has received as described in the feedback below, always good reviews.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your comments, we invite you to give us again the opportunity to serve you, trust me that your comments will help us to improve every day.

Best regards
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We just returned from our 1 week vacation at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta. We are a young couple with a 14 month old, and found this resort to be absolutely perfect for us! It is very family/child friendly. This is one of the few resorts that offers free child care for babies under 2 years old, which was the main reason why we chose it. We were a bit apprehensive about leaving our son with strangers in the beginning, but we were told all staff undergo thorough background checks and are Red Cross certified, so that eased our worries a bit. The day care was absolutely wonderful, and our son loved the babysitters Lala and Karina. You can really tell they love their job and care for all the children they take care of. When we dropped him off in the mornings, he always ran to them and gave them big hugs, and was so excited to play. It made us feel great about leaving him there (and consequently made us feel bad taking him out at the end of the day when he didn’t want to leave) and we trusted them 100%. Because of Lala and Karina, my husband and I were able to have some alone time and really enjoy our late honeymoon. On our last night there, we requested a babysitter come stay in our room so we could go out and enjoy the show without having to worry about him waking up from the noise. We scheduled for 9:00 and Lala was there by 8:55. She could not have been more professional! We tipped them on our last day to show our appreciation.

In regards to the resort itself, it is absolutely gorgeous! From the pool, to the gardens, to the pond with fish and iguanas, the atmosphere was just magical! The lobby itself is stunning too! In the mornings, I did yoga in the serene gardens with Sochi, who was so sweet and talented (she performs in the shows at night too-which are awesome!), and I really felt a connection with her. It was an amazing experience!

We spent almost the entire trip in the gigantic beautiful pool playing volley ball. The activity staff by the pool were very charismatic and made all activities fun (they even played beach volley ball with us!) The swim up bar was great, and the bartenders were always friendly. They got to know us and our drinks (try a chi chi and a blue sky!), and were quick to offer another without us even having to ask. I wish we took note of all their names, but really everyone treated us so well. The best waiter by far was Benjamin. He is such a hard worker, and always smiling and friendly. We did tip the waiters because they work so hard, and even though they say tip is included, it just feels wrong for them to be waiting on you hand and foot, and not give anything extra. We did not however, feel any pressure to tip, and the service was just as great before we did(we didn’t start tipping until the second or third day). We also got massages on the beach which was absolutely amazing!

The food was so delicious, and the options were endless. I don’t understand how some reviewers complain about their not being much variety. How much more food could you ask for? We never ate at the restaurants you had to make reservations for. The buffets were more than enough for us, and we did not want to be tied down for a specific time to eat. For breakfast there was: eggs, eggs with ham, omelet stations made for you on the spot, bacon, different types of sausages, plantains, quesadillas, different types of rolls, bread, cheeses, pastries, soups, oatmeals, potatoes, cereal, tea, coffee, milk, chocolate milk, different types of juices (my favorite was the green one made with celery and pinapple- try it!), different types of yogurt, fruits and vegetables, pancakes, waffles, and the list goes on! They even had a beef stew, which I don’t know why someone would have that for breakfast, but it was an option! Similarly, lunch and dinner had everything like, pasta, chicken, steak, rice, vegetables, potatoes, etc. There really was so much food, and we thought we were for sure going to come back 10 lbs. heavier! We loved eating outdoors at Quetzal for breakfast and dinner at La Palapa at the table closest to the ocean. For lunch, we usually had La Palapita, which is a small buffet by the pool with amazing burgers, chicken nuggets, fries, etc. Our first night there was Mother’s Day, and they set up a beautiful dinner outside La Palapa on the beach, where we was greeted with cocktails and a rose. It was such a great way to start our trip! They also sent up champagne to our room on the first two nights we were there, and put heart-shaped rose petals on our bed on the third night. It was such a lovely surprise!

We had the regular ocean view room, which had an incredible view of the garden as well. It was clean and the refrigerator was stocked with water, soda, and beer. They also gave us a crib for our baby which was a nice graco pack n play. Our room was cleaned well every day.

The slightly negatives: Make sure you pack everything you need because the gift shop prices are outrageous ($30 for sun block and aloe). The water in our bathtub came out brown, but within 10 minutes, someone was up and fixing it, so we can’t really complain about that. The only real negative thing was that they did push us to go to a presentation for what they say is not a timeshare, but obviously is something like it. You get 40% off at the spa if you go, but we did not want to waste an hour and a half of our precious vacation time, and said we were not interested. We really did have to say no several times before they backed off. Other than that, our trip was absolutely perfect and we were so sad when we had to leave! We will definitely be returning next year, or hopefully even sooner! Thank you, Melia staff, for giving us our dream honeymoon!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the 8th floor are definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Servici0_al_Huesped, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are really happy to read your comments, thank you so much for taking the time to write about your last stay with us.
Is a pleasure to serve you, we hope see you soon in Meliá Puerto Vallarta.

Best Regards,

Guest Experience Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this property. The first time was in Nov. 2010 as a couple. This time it was a family vacation, and we had an overall great stay and so would recommend this property. Summarized the positives, negatives, and the borderline below.

Hotel rate wasn't bad. We paid about $247/night all-in - had secured online an early non-refundable $157/night for garden view room, and then on-site paid an additional $90/night for an upgrade to a junior suite. It was basically two hotel rooms connected together via an open doorway, and the 2nd room had a couch, daybed, with the extra bathroom and TV. Our final rate was slightly cheaper than the current online advance rate for a similar room, so the day-of rates appeared reasonable.

POSITIVES:
-Felt like a safe, attractive, well-kept property. Hotel restrooms were clean.

-Staff was all friendly and courteous.

-About a 15 min drive to the airport but was never disturbed by air traffic

-Enjoyed the pool grounds, which is great for kids - pool was vast and shallow in many areas. There was even a cool bar accessible without leaving the pool.

-Had to use the hotel doctor who was conveniently on-site- good medical service. Fluent English. They can make a room call, or if you want to save a little money, go to their office (double-check with front desk). Our travel insurance covered this.

-Nice playground for kids outside the Kids Club (don’t have to participate in daycare to enjoy)

-Did not feel pressure to tip everyone

- Taxi stand outside the lobby lists the standard fares for all major destinations, including airport and maritime terminal (departure point for some excursions) so you know what to expect.

- Large list of activities offered batting cage (fun activity, behind Kids Club), rock climbing wall, kayaks, and target shooting. There were also some other activities for a price such as mini golf (we did not partake)

-Food: Breakfast buffet options were pretty good and decent selection of kids’ options at the buffets.

-Luggage service was easily available and good for storage.

-Vallarta Adventures Las Caletas beach excursion - ended up booking directly with them via phone while in Puerto Vallarta. (If we had 4 days advance notice, we could have gotten a slight online discount through the company. Also a Melia hotel discount available, see below). This was a beautiful excursion to a nice beach with lunch buffet included, with two main departure times (8am and 11am) from the cruise terminal (15 minute taxi ride). The boat ride was about 45-60 minutes one-way, slightly faster on the way back.

NEGATIVES:
-Check In process was a bit long and paired with a confusing "personal concierge service".
There was a wait for checking in (at least 20-30 min), with only 2 people at the front desk on a weekday afternoon. After checking in, we were approached by a staff woman who said she was our personal concierge who would provide us "VIP service" (you’ll see at the hotel there are many smartly dressed women walking around the lobby or near the two “Vacation Concierge” desks). With us being very tired from the traveling that day and the communication not being the most fluent, we didn't understand what service was being offered, and we also hadn't decided on any "activities" (i.e. excursions). We caught something about the option to sit in on a breakfast presentation but that it WASN'T a time share presentation. We declined to make any appointment for a breakfast presentation and said we would get back to them. Later in our stay, after we ended up deciding to go on a Vallarta Adventures excursion, we finally pieced it together that what was being offered by the “personal concierge” was a discount on this excursion if we booked through the hotel and were willing to sit in on a Melia Hotel breakfast presentation (if it’s not timeshare, it’s for some other type of vacation accommodation for “members only”). However, we never found out what the discount would have been and we didn't have time to participate in the breakfast anyway given our schedule. It also sounded like the discounted rate wasn't possible to arrange last minute anyway. Were told that Melia usually needs 48 hours advance notice to secure that special rate.

-During both check-in experiences at this hotel ( 2010 and this time), we were told there were no rooms available before the official check-in time at 3pm. However, they did give us bracelets so that we could eat lunch and store our luggage.

-Inconveniently long check out process (No TV checkout available)
The day we checked out there was a massively large student group checking in the hotel and mobbing the lobby. There were easily 500+ high school-age students. This negatively impacted the check out process (we waited at least 30-45 minutes in a line). The mobbed lobby with students and luggage greatly detracted from the ambiance of the hotel.

-Need to take a taxi to get off the property
It is difficult to walk from the hotel into town or anywhere else, especially if you’re with children, due to the busy street outside the marina. (Taxi rates were a minimum cost of $5 USD or about 60 pesos to get to the maritime terminal, which is a departure point for Vallarta Adventures)
-Internet was only free in lobby area, have to pay extra to get internet in the rooms.

BORDERLINE:
-While the hotel is clean, there is excessive freshener scent in the hotel elevators.

-Food
Food was overall average. The breakfast buffet was above average, but we found the lunch/dinner buffets to be just okay. There were a large variety of options at lunch/dinner buffets, from local dishes to hamburgers and pasta. There is a smaller "bar" type area near the pool called La Palapita that starts serving hot dogs and hamburgers and fries earlier if you’re hungry earlier than 1pm. The lunch buffet does not open until 1pm (strategically timed to avoid people who have to check out at 12noon?)

-Reservation-only restaurants for dinner
We ate here twice during our stay. Contrary to some older reviews, we did not have trouble making reservations (though you do have to do it the day before at 6pm). Not the most impressive menus, but it was nice to have waiter service. The waiter service was very friendly and nice, and good to well-behaved kids. (A small kids’ menu is offered in the restaurants with options like chicken nuggets, spaghetti, etc.)
The price of "premium" entrée options were rather expensive - $35-$40 USD for premium steaks and lobsters.
Desserts are pretty much the same as what's available at the buffet meals.

-Laundry service
Not that cheap. We paid about $19 USD for about 8 items of clothing to be washed (some of which were kids’ clothes which were at least 1/2 price). They price per item. Nice to have same day service though if you ask to have laundry picked up before 11am.

-ATM in the hotel only gives out USD. Need to go outside of the hotel to get pesos (but ATM is very close to hotel, a short walk outside).

-Beach area is not a large area, but actually was better than what I remembered from 2010 (sand was clean and well kept).

Kids Entertainment:
Flintstoned-themed with character visits, but the "actors" were not super enthusiastic during personal interactions with them. (They do some cute public dance shows though).
The Kids Club indoors seemed like an okay place for child care(it was a little run down for my taste) but we did not partake. The daycare area for under 4 set has a wide variety of toys but typically does not let parents stay with the kids for any period of time, though they did let us stay for a short while to get a feel for it. They have nap rooms.
Minimal kid's water toys available - nothing really except for inflatable water floats.

-Bracelet system seems pretty strict, upon arriving at the hotel in a taxi, a hotel rep was right at the arrival taxi stand checking off our name on the reservation, and matching the number of people in our party with the reservation right away

-We found an error in our hotel charges, but upon getting through to the front desk manager (though it took a few tries to get through via phone), it was quickly resolved in a professional and courteous manner.

OVERALL:
We remembered from 2010 that this hotel attracted many families with children. While this would not be my personal choice for a honeymoon type destination, I would definitely recommend this place again for a reasonably priced accommodation that offers all-inclusive.

Room Tip: Ocean view was much nicer than garden view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!