“Poor 4.5-star, as a 3-star it would just be average” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta

You added Melia Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Melia Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo De La Marina Sur 7 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #55 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Victoria
“Poor 4.5-star, as a 3-star it would just be average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a choice of 2 hotels with our vacation package, one in Puerto Vallarta and one in Nuevo Vallarta, there was a difference of $400 per person but we chose the Melia and paid the higher price as it was closer to town and billed as a 4.5 star All-Inclusive Resort. We also upgraded to an Ocean View room ($150 pp) which put us on the 7th floor.

Unfortunately our experience with what the hotel offered did not meet our expectations. We have stayed at other all-inclusives in Mexico so we do have a frame of reference for comparison.

First, there were 4 elevators in our building, 2 service elevators for staff and 2 for guests. There was only one elevator working, there are 9 floors in the building, and once a staff member had a cart in the elevator there was no room for anyone else. It could take 10 minutes or more waiting for the elevator to get to the 7th floor, and the hope was that once it got there, there would be room to get in. Taking the stairs was not an option as my husband could not manage 7 flights.

We were there for 10 days and the other elevators were out of service the whole time.

Our key cards would stop working every afternoon. With the ongoing elevator issue it got to the point where we got tired of going up to our room only to find we could not get in, my husband started going to the front desk to get the cards reset at the end of every day to avoid a 20-30 minute ordeal.

The biggest disappointment was the food. The buffet in the evening had 11 hot trays in it, not very many to start with, but there was never anyone cooking at a food station. When was the last time you went to a buffet and there wasn't someone serving at least a roast or something? Breakfast was marginally better as there would be an egg station. The a la carte restaurants were equally disappointing, food was either undercooked or overcooked. The lunch buffet was the only decent place to eat, they did have a wider variety and people cooking at several food stations.

The pool was not clean, and it was cold until several people complained and then it was warmer. There was a platform in the middle of the pool which you could rest on, the grout in the tiles was black with algae or dirt.

We specifically went to an all-inclusive beach resort in Mexico for the weather and for the convenience of amenities being in one place as my husband was recovering from surgery that left him less mobile than normal. Puerto Vallarta and the weather was wonderful, unfortunately for us the Melia was not, it appeared to us that the hotel was going through cutbacks. From our experience it was overrated and overpriced and we wouldn't recommend this hotel.

PS. Did I mention I gave this trip to my husband for his 50th birthday? (Which he had down there). Guess I should have researched a bit more first :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Alexander, mb, canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We are currently still at the Melia luckily we only booked a week vacation. The resort is more family based with screaming kids all over. We have a little guy but left him at home for a reason.. Once we had travelled 7 hours to get to PV we had to wait for 3 hours for our room to be ready. This was very annoying considering we had barley slept and just wanted to shower and rest for a bit. The hallways from our rooms to elevators smell of rank smelling sewer! Once in the elevator which is usually a wait considering their one is broken AGAIN! It also has a little bit of a strange smell to it. The one night we went for supper we had to eat at the mexican buffet outside because the one inside was closed for some reason? It said 5 restraunts when we booked however there is about one or two you can go to open at certain times Also no matter where you eat its the same food which gets old after a week!.. There is one bar open at night which is upstairs so if you are at the entertainment which is very poorly done and lasts only half hour you have to keep taking 5 minutes to go get a drink upstairs.. At night time you will find many people sititng around playing cards because there is nothing to do at the resort. Very disappointed and a very bad first impression for our first warm vacation!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

just returned home from a wonderful vacation at Club Melia. From the moment we checked in untill the time we checked out, we had exellent service. We were a family of four celevbrating my mothers 75th birthday. The girls at the RCI check in Minam, Ale,Bety went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful stay! Rosy the pool waitress was just like a long lost friend. The bartenders were outstanding Victor and Raymundo treated us like champions! All the waiters in the dining rooms were like family. I wouls strongly recommend this resort to anybody young couples, and even middle age people with families. Thank you club Melia for a wonderful hliday hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Josefina T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
We enjoy reading the positives aspects of the hotel. We value your opinion and it inspires us to give a better service.

Thank you for your preference to Club Meliá by Meliá Hotels International, also for the great comments about Bety, Ale, Miriam, Raymundo, Victor and Rosy. We will notice them.

Happy Birthday to your mother! And we hope to see you soon!
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just retuned from PV (Dec 29th till Jan 05). Here is the exact truth about the MELIA in PV. This hotel is a excellent 3 1/2 star or a average to a little below average 4 star. The service was fantastic starting with OSCAR @ the front desk, then our pool side server ROSIE & EDGRARDO.
ABRAHAM in the lobby bar to food servers ARTERO & ALEXANDRO & RITA our house keeper.
The food was average in both the buffet & al la cartes. The rooms were dated but were in good clean shape. I'm not sure what was happening with the elevators but there was a bad smell everytime you were in them. This hotel should be labeled for "familys only", It really caters to young aged kids (12 to 1 ). The ages in our party were 49,49,17,21,21 & we were over run with little kids & there parents who did not want to show any kind of control over there kids. The night entertainment was averge it lasted about 45 minutes to 1 hour (not very long). The negitive points were, many things on this property were extras $$$$, so when you walked up to order somthing there were extra charges ( sushi bar, al la cartes,certain alcholols, special coffes, etc), so i'm not sure how they can call this a real ALL INCLUSIVE. The LOBBY BAR opened @ 5 PM till 1 so if you wanted any liquids before that you had to get it from the pool bar only. This was not always conveinent, very limited. Because our of us not having small children anymore we would not come back but if you have small children this would be a good 1 or 2 week get away to an average hotel.

Room Tip: The M Experience is worth the extra money, we were 4 storys up & had a excellent view of the PAC...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our 10 days at Melia Puerto Vallarta. The service was great. The pool was amazing. Kids had fun every day at the mini disco and watching the excellent shows. We swam, played on the beach. It was fantastic. The only thing we did wrong was take too many excursions (3). We should have just spent more time lounging around the pool and soaking up the sun instead of rushing off to do everything in Puerto Vallarta in one trip. Quiet family time is sometimes better than always doing something.

Room Tip: We stay in the Club Melia rooms, Master Suite so it is very nice. Lots of room. You should think abo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
First of all we are proud to receive beautiful opinions about the hotel. We are content that you were comfortable during your vacations. We are happy that we made your stay relax and fun for your kids.

We will wait for you on your next vacations, so you and your family enjoy the different activities that the hotel offers.

Cordially,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and 3 year old son just spent 1 week at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta from Dec 15-22. It was OK - not special, nothing fancy, just adequate.
Rooms: We stayed in 2144, which was the first building to the left of the lobby. They were clean. The air conditioner worked. The view from our balcony was gorgeous. The beds were fine - I didn't find they were hard like other reviews spoke about. You could hear the music quite well from the lobby area late at night after everyone moved their once the nightly show ended at 10:30-11. But I was prepared from reading other reviews and took my earplugs- it never kept me up.
The maid service was inconsistent regarding when the rooms were cleaned, and one day we didn't even get a cleaning. We were often out in the morning having breakfast and swimming, but came back to the room in the afternoon so my 3 year old could nap. The one day they didn't clean our room we were actually off resort until 2:30, only to return to find our room not cleaned. We put a do not disturb sign on the door and had a nap. Prior to leaving for our 6:30 supper reservation they called and asked if we wanted our room cleaned: I said yes, right away as we are going out for supper at 6:30. We returned at 8 to find our room hadn't been cleaned, only to have them show up at 8:30 when we were getting read to put our overtired son to bed.

Food: Medicore. It was only OK - it wasn't bad, it was just not varied enough when staying there for 7 days. The buffet wasn't that large, so we got bored of the food quite quickly. I also understand the cuisine is different, and we don't mind trying new foods at all, but we were tired of everything being soaked in a sauce or butter or deep fried. The Mexican themed night at the buffet restaurant was wonderful and delicious. We ate at the Mexican ala carte twice - which was good. The Italian restaurant was only ok. For fine dining I was surprised my chicken was overcooked. I did not like the kids buffet, as it was often quick convenience food that I try hard NOT to provide to my kid. He eats what we eat - not fast food, deep fried convenience foods. We just avoided it most of the time. I was not impressed with the extra charge items on the menus of the ala carte restaurants - lobster and/or wine. This is where my 'Mostly Inclusive' title comes from. Don't charge me extra for seafood or steak when there is no justification for it. There other seafood and steak menu items that didn't have a charge - it just seemed inconsistent.
Amenties: The pool was wonderful It's nice and big with a swim up bar, and very kid friendly with 2 areas that have shallow entrances. However the odd missing tiles around the pool area was hazardous, and I'll speak to that later regarding the resort overall. Waiter service at the pool area was excellent - no matter if you were having alcoholic drinks or non-alcoholic drinks or tipping or not. He was great!
The beach is awful - but then again, I'm comparing it to the soft, white, sandy beaches of Jamaica. The waves were so rough we could barely go further than just getting our feet wet. The waves almost pulled me out, and loaded my son's and mine bathing suit full of sand. To top it off, it smelled extremely fishy. We hardly spent anytime here, as it wasn't nice.
The staff at the activities counter were always helpful and friendly, and got to know my son's name. There were daily activities like yoga, aquasize, archery, pool table, shuffle board, cooking lessons, dance lessons, random games, and more. I didn't participate in many, but they were fun to watch and listen too. Some activities had a charge, like the less than stellar mini-golf and trampoline. Again, not all-inclusive.
The nightly shows were very fun and entertaining. They are quite late, so you have to plan accordingly if you have small children. Our son always had a long, late afternoon nap so we could stay up for the shows. We only missed 2 shows. They have various themes like comedy, pirate, retro, circus, etc. And always start the evening off at 9AM with a 1/2 hour for the kids. Our son enjoyed that a lot.
Kids club: This was one of the reasons I picked this resort. The kids club seemed like it was pretty good, although we really didn't use it that much because our son just wanted to be with us. They had a playground area, and the smaller kids club for kids up to 4 years, had a room with toys, tv, and craft table. The teachers were nice and spent time engaging the children. We only left our son there once.
Resort overall: It is an older hotel - which is fine, and it's relatively clean and the gardens are well kept, however their seemed to be some repair issues. There were often lights broken or in need of repair which provided a dim lighting experience each night around 5-6, which became hazardous when using the stairs (because only 1 elevator was functioning for part of our stay). It just seemed like they could get away with less lights and it would be ok. The back stairwell that we used often for direct access to the pool had parts of the stairs missing and exposed nails. For a kid-friendly resort, this was disturbing to me. One night the power went out for about 45 minutes. It was pitch dark and you could see anything. The missing tiles around the pool area and other areas of the resort.
We didn't really appreciate the time share nagging that occurred at the airport and at the hotel. It was intrusive at the hotel, but I just didn't want to be constantly asked if I was attending after we declined the 1st day. I also didn't like the constant pestering from anyone trying to sell me something or come have me eat at their restaurant (on the marina) or visit their massage parlor. It was just annoying to be constantly asked to purchase a good or service and then have to constantly say ' non gracias.'
The service was ok - but nothing spectacular and they whole tipping philosophy just bothered us. We'd tip, but it didn't seem to mean anything as was indicated in some of the reviews. We weren't very consistent, but I also hadn't intended to spend a extra $200 tipping at an all-inclusive (mostly inclusive).

Although we enjoyed ourselves, and met some new friends, I don't think we will be returning to Melia nor Puerto Vallarta for that matter.

MAPLE RIDGE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have recently returned from my 33 rd. and 34 th. week in MELIA since 1999.

Truly my worst experience at the MELIA.

Since the untimely demise of Senor Tulous ( ? spelling ) it has steadily gone downhill.

When Senor Tulous was the General Manager, around the same time as our recent stay, there were normally 1,000 to 1,300 guests everyday, this time there were very few in comparison.

Also, when Senor Tulous was there, he could be seen at all times talking to Guests / Staff / Entertainers / Vendors / guests on beach and around pool, Moral was high and very few Staff left........ What a change now !!!
Cost cutting will be the downfall of what used to be the Hotel with the highest Occupancy Rate in Puerto Vallarta

FOOD: compared to 10 years ago ( even 3 years ago ), it is now 2 Star instead of 5 Star
Quality, and variety has been degraded. They seem to have problems with keeping
the food at the proper temperature.

LANDSCAPING: it now looks like an overgrown jungle.

ELEVATORS: during the whole 2 weeks, only 1 SMALL elevator working in a 9 storey

building.This elevator was used for Staff / Maintenance Workers / Guests.

RESTAURANTS: one never knew from day to day which Restaurants would be open at
Dinner time.
Some nights the Buffet was closed and dining was outside, and it could be
cold and quite windy, so in turn the food tended to be cold.

Overall cleanliness: The corridors looked as if they had not been polished for years, they
used to be polished at least once a week.
Rooms were clean ----- as usual.

POOL: It was cold, I think they did not have the heating system turned on.

All Inclusive: House wine ( which is adequate ) is included with A.I. so I got rather annoyed
with the new Buffet Captain trying to interest me in an expensive wine list of
wine that is not covered by the A.I, even before I had time to sit down at
the table !!!.
In the Vitrales Restaurant, 2 of the meal choices are an additional 339 Pesos
per plate above the All Inclusive cost ----- they gotta be joking lol.

ATM in LOBBY: What can I say ---- DISGRACEFUL.

ATM IN HOTEL LOBBY, owned by CASHOLA lol. aptly named.
Would only allow me to get $300 U.S. at a time ------ charges were $ 27.80 U.S. !!!!
It only supplied $ U.S. !!!! Which you had to change to Pesos at the Lobby, and loose more money in the process.

ATM OUTSIDE MELIA owned by BANCOMER Set fee for charges 32.48 PESOS per
withdrawal.

The GOOD : Service from Staff was First Class ------ as usual.
Entertainment Team put on wonderful shows ------ as usual.

See my photos at

Room Tip: Most rooms on higher floors have good views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!