We had a choice of 2 hotels with our vacation package, one in Puerto Vallarta and one in Nuevo Vallarta, there was a difference of $400 per person but we chose the Melia and paid the higher price as it was closer to town and billed as a 4.5 star All-Inclusive Resort. We also upgraded to an Ocean View room ($150 pp) which put us on the 7th floor.
Unfortunately our experience with what the hotel offered did not meet our expectations. We have stayed at other all-inclusives in Mexico so we do have a frame of reference for comparison.
First, there were 4 elevators in our building, 2 service elevators for staff and 2 for guests. There was only one elevator working, there are 9 floors in the building, and once a staff member had a cart in the elevator there was no room for anyone else. It could take 10 minutes or more waiting for the elevator to get to the 7th floor, and the hope was that once it got there, there would be room to get in. Taking the stairs was not an option as my husband could not manage 7 flights.
We were there for 10 days and the other elevators were out of service the whole time.
Our key cards would stop working every afternoon. With the ongoing elevator issue it got to the point where we got tired of going up to our room only to find we could not get in, my husband started going to the front desk to get the cards reset at the end of every day to avoid a 20-30 minute ordeal.
The biggest disappointment was the food. The buffet in the evening had 11 hot trays in it, not very many to start with, but there was never anyone cooking at a food station. When was the last time you went to a buffet and there wasn't someone serving at least a roast or something? Breakfast was marginally better as there would be an egg station. The a la carte restaurants were equally disappointing, food was either undercooked or overcooked. The lunch buffet was the only decent place to eat, they did have a wider variety and people cooking at several food stations.
The pool was not clean, and it was cold until several people complained and then it was warmer. There was a platform in the middle of the pool which you could rest on, the grout in the tiles was black with algae or dirt.
We specifically went to an all-inclusive beach resort in Mexico for the weather and for the convenience of amenities being in one place as my husband was recovering from surgery that left him less mobile than normal. Puerto Vallarta and the weather was wonderful, unfortunately for us the Melia was not, it appeared to us that the hotel was going through cutbacks. From our experience it was overrated and overpriced and we wouldn't recommend this hotel.
PS. Did I mention I gave this trip to my husband for his 50th birthday? (Which he had down there). Guess I should have researched a bit more first :(
- Also Known As:
- Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Hotel
- Melia Puerto Vallarta
- Sol Melia Puerto Vallarta
- Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Puerto Vallarta is a paradise for families and couples, where there is something for everyone and where everything is included. A wide variety of snacks and meals, domestic and imported drinks and recreational activities for all ages, spectacular evening shows performed by professional dancers, with a different program every night, and swimming pool with children's section and 2 whirlpool. The Flintstones have found the perfect place for their holidays: they are staying with your family in one of our first theme hotels: Yabba-Dabba-Doo bazaar, Roca Flash, RocAdventure, Baby Rock Club, Bamm Bamm Club and Cool Club. Let yourself be surprised! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Sol Melia Hotels and Resorts US, Booking.com, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.