“Fleas and cockroaches!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo De La Marina Sur 7 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #55 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Fleas and cockroaches!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Well, being that I only stayed one night because my flight to San Francisco had been cancelled, the airline put us in this hotel. After checking in, we went to our rooms on the third floor. One of the elevators was not working. The rooms didn't LOOK too bad. I then called the lobby to ask for Internet code, the receptionist let me know that there was an additional charge for it. I told her that as an all inclusive hotel, Internet should be included and that I was there due to the airline putting us there, and that I wasn't there out of pleasure and the least they could do was provide us with free Internet. She then had a rude tone and said that's what we offer here so if you Internet, you have to pay for it. It was a little frustrating for me because I needed Internet to communicate to family/friends about our flight cancellation. So, I had to spend most of the evening in the lobby emailing, which I would've rather have spent the time relaxing in my room after a long and hurried day at the airport, after all it was only for one night. I have always stayed at all inclusive resorts that included Internet, 24 hr room service and any open bar so I wasn't use to this. Anyway, dinner at the buffet was ok, but later I craved a nice cup of coffee and I saw a coffee bar behind the lobby, only to find out they charge for that too! Ridiculous! Throughout the night, I felt like I had some kind of bug crawling on me so I was constantly swatting myself. In the morning when I woke, I could still feel like bugs were crawling on me, as I looked on the white sheet, I saw some kind of bug that could've been a flea. Later I saw that I had bug bites on my feet! Ouch! They itched like crazy! What's worst is I thing I smuggled some in my suitcase because when I arrived home, I put on a pair of socks that were in my suitcase and now I have more bites on my feet, one on my neck and one on my chest. My brother who stayed in another room said he saw fleas on the walls in his room, my mom who stayed in a third room said she saw a trail of bugs, she couldn't tell if they real small ants or spiders along the top of the dresser. As we were leaving our rooms to check out at the lobby, we saw a cockroach in the hallway, we were all so grossed out! In conclusion, my one night stay at Melia resort has been a bad experience that followed me all the way home! I would never stay there again, even if they paid me!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
American Canyon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My family and I stayed here from Sept. 2 - 9. Our kids are 2 and 4 months.

Where do I start?

The rooms stink. When we first got there we thought it was just our room, but after running around and viewing (literally) 10+ different rooms at the resort, we only found ONE room that did not have some kind of sewer/wet paint/humidity smell to it. What's worse is no one else seemed to be bothered by the smell except us. I think the staff thought we were crazy, but there was definitely a stench to the rooms that was later blamed on the humidity.

The A/C in the rooms is almost non-existent. It's there and you can put all the way down, but it doesn't matter because they set it up so you can only cool the room so much. We still felt pretty warm in our room and it was only mildly cooler than outside. If you want A/C, go to the time share presentations where they have the A/C blasted to cool.

Melia is part of a time share company, so you will be asked constantly to participate in a presentation. The good news is that it's not really a hard sell so you don't feel too pressured. My husband and I did it for the free stuff --- free city & jungle tour for the family, they gave my daughter a Melia Flintstone shirt and internet credit for a week. As long as you don't mind spending the 2-3 hours with the sales person, it can be worth the "free" stuff.

The internet is not part of the all-inclusive and you have to pay for it. It's not even that great in the rooms, it's best downstairs in the lobby or restaurants.

The elevator was broken for 4 of the 7 days we were there, so the building we were in only had one working elevator.

The wait staff was GREAT. We tipped the waiters for ever y meal - 20-50 pesos depending on service that evening. I don't think anyone else did, but we did and they really appreciated as we appreciated their help.

The entire staff is very English friendly. I've been to many countries around the world, and I will say that Mexico (at least in the resort areas) has been the best so far at English. Very impressed from our tour guide to the front desk to the wait staff.

We went during their off peak season so I would say about 85% of the hotel guests are locals.

The food was surprisingly not bad. I had read the reviews here earlier and people were complaining about how bad it was but for the most part I liked the buffet choices. There are about 4 restaurants plus a grill and the restaurants are either "buffet" or "table service" each night. They ask you to make reservations for the sit down dinners, but we didn't always have one and since they weren't too busy the host would always accommodate is. The thing that I was turned off about was that not everything on the menu is "all-inclusive." If you order Lobster, etc., there is an additional charge. Why not just pad the price of the per night stay and truly make it an all-inclusive meal plan? Room service was also an additional charge. Food was not 24 hours, so if you get hungry in the middle of the night, you're out of luck.

I liked the fact there was a 24 hour resort doctor. My daughter got sick half way through the trip and we were thankful to have a Dr. on site. We paid about 60 USD for the first visit and she came back 1 other time for a follow up visit for free.

Walmart is about a 6 USD cab ride which was useful.

We didn't really venture outside the resort because it was just too humid and hot when we were there, but we heard it is within walking distance to some local restaurants.

The pool was nice and big, but there were many tiles that were broken and became a hazard. My daughter loved the pool because it was only about 1-2 feet deep in a lot of spots. They have a swim up bar, but we didn't use it. They also have some one come around for drink orders.

The grill next to the pool served hamburgers, hotdogs and nachos. The self serve soda fountain was swarming with bees. The birds flock to the grill and try to get what they can, so I can see all this being a health concern.

The kids area was ok, but my daughter didn't really get to play since it was so hot and humid. They have some kind of day care, etc, but we didn't use it.

There is a little part of the beach that no one uses. The area is rocky and the water is pretty choppy. Take a few pictures and go back to the pool.

The grounds are pretty well kept, nothing fancy, but taken care of. When you enter, the lobby is an open air space which feels resort-like and someone greets you immediately. This is also the time-share person who will pressure you to taking the presentation.

The resort is a quick and cheap cab ride to the airport.

All in all, the resort was ok, but nothing spectacular and we had a few hiccups that did not make our stay that pleasant. I didn't ramble on and on about the room issues we were having but you get the picture.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kipling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just returned home from a 1 week stay at the Melia. We were a group of 14 with some teenagers and 5 couples. We had an awesome time here, the service was excellent (particularly Angel at the pool where we spent a lot of time!!)
The buffet was excellent, had all breakfasts there and some suppers. The one a la carte we went to was not the best - we had a 9:30 booking and it looked like they wanted to close when we got there. But otherwise the food was very good, Mexican night was awesome! (tequila galore)
The service at all times was very good. Whenever any of our group turned up at the lobby bar, they had chairs and tables put together in no time cuz they knew more were coming.
There were lots of families at this resort but we were never bothered by too many kids in the pool or any other issues.
If you go, be sure to ask for Freddy at the beach to take you paragliding - 8 of us went and had a fantastic time! (extra minutes for big group). The vendors were a bit annoying but for the most part they jjust came and asked and then left you alone.
All in all, I would highly recommend this resort. We will definitely go back again!!

Room Tip: We had ocean view on ground level which we thought would be noisy but being low season it was very q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Close to the airport, short trip to the resort. Easy to ignore the constant badgering about the timeshares - pretend you are single, they think you dont have money (why else would you be staying on a low dime). Clean, great views, lots of activities especially for kids. Staff fantastic, very accommodating and remember all your little special requests (food and drinks) without prompting. Small beach areas with the typical tour agents and vendors, security does a good job of keeping them on the beach area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great location! Take a taxi from the airport $18, rather than wait 45 minutes for the bus. It's a 10 minute drive. The only downside is the "time share" hassle at the airport. Make a beeline for the exterior doors and don't look back!! Smooth check in and quick bag drop at the room. We had a garden view room and could still see the ocean. Comfortable, air conditioned and clean. The buffet was good, we favored the Mexican restaurant over the Italian and seafood. It's worth the few extra dollars to buy a nice bottle of Mexican wine off their wine list. Clean pools, great lobby bar and wonderful kids club. The only downsides were the constant pressure to join the Melia club. It was hard to walk through the lobby! The nightly entertainment went late and you could hear it from your room. Tough with an infant. Free wireless would've been a bonus but it was complimentary in the lobby. Staff was extremely attentive and friendly.
Would reccomend it and definitely go back

• Stayed November 2012
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel is wonderful for families - really geared for kids - lots to do for them. Unfortunately our kids have grown up so we had to move from crying babies and others having a meltdown to a quieter place. My brother inlaw got after a little boy peeing in the pool - right in front of everyone - including his parents! Only one pool too. We went to the beach after that!

But the service was great- our waitress Rossa was amazing! She had our drinks to us pronto! We did tip her as she was the best! She has been there for 12 years - if you go there you must ask for her!

Breakfast was always good - had a fresh omelette every morning!

Dinner was good except for the steak- very tough. My husband would order the prawns which was on the main course as his appy! Then the main course.

Music was great, they had adult aerobics, we went on the kayakes, played tennis, rented a boat and saw dolphins for 40 bucks for the four of us for an hour - the guy was great - we tipped him 10 bucks and we got our photos done the professional photographer there for free - then bought a few - she was so cute and such hard workers there.

We upgraded our room and it had a coffee maker in there - which was great! Beds very comfortable, but pillows not so much. Free Internet in the main lobby which was a pain. 10 dollar cab ride to down town PV.

Time share people are brutal in the airport! Also the people trying to sell you things on the beach! We did buy some really nice silver jewellery and we got henna tattoos and they are such nice people but I wish it wasn't every day you go to the beach!

We had a fabulous time there - good food , food friends, good music, good weather - very humid - but like I said we are out of that era of our lives with little ones - wish I knew about this resort when our children were little! We will not be going back until/unless we have grand children!

Room Tip: We upgraded to ocean front which was an extra 60 bucks per night - but it was worth as it had just t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were attending a wedding of a friend and they recommend this hotel. The stay was very good. We enjoyed the property. Melia is a resort geared more towards family. If your without your kids you may want to stay at other hotels. Service was great. Staff made every effort to make sure the stay was good. Food was average, not the best, but not the worst. The location is good if you are not planning to get off the resort. We were going to downtown everyday so the cost of taxi's adds up. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!