“Good but not what it should be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo De La Marina Sur 7 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Mexico City
“Good but not what it should be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed with other 12 friends last week end. The first time a went this hotel was about 20 years ago when it was a nice new luxury hotel non inclusive.
Now a day I think they should give the hotel a good re-paint and other basic things that are looking old
Yes, it is true that it smells in some parts very strong. rare.
The food is very very average, but service is good and restaurants very clean.
If you want room service... it is not included....you should pay..
Good things... Staff very friendly, including front desk guys.
My room M experience was having a good size room with balcony and a nice full ocean view.
Pool well kept and there were no rocks at the beach..
After all it was better than I expected.

Room Tip: Rooms M exeperience
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
meliapuertovallarta, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive notes regarding your stay. We are happy to know that your stay was enjoyable.

Hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is your slightly above average run of the mill AI. I'd give it 3.5* if I could. It's nice. Not great, not bad. Rooms are decent, grounds well cared for. Staff is fantastic. Always accommodating and friendly, especially the pool staff. I would not be as happy if I had to pay full price. Booze is not best quality, food was okay. But again it's an all inclusive, that's kind of par for the course.

They really need an adult only pool. The whole pool area is loud and chaotic with kids. Thank goodness for the free flowing drinks from the fantastic pool staff. Location in Marina Vallarta is nice although there is no beach really to speak of. If you're looking for long stretches of white sand go north to Bucerias.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chapala, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Melia Puerto Vallarta July 21-28, 2012
Fun Family/kid oriented resort
Arrived at resort later than expected about 5:30...disorganized in regards to unloading cars etc….slow check in and only 2 bellboys …RCI exchange of which I booked a one bedroom and asked 3 times if that is what they were giving, they kept saying Master Suite. We had gone to the resort to check outsize of one bedroom in a previous trip. We were given Room 3316, a Master Suite, not a true one bedroom, more like a studio. It had 2 plasma TV’s, one in living room area and one in bedroom. King bed with sliders onto a small balcony with 2 plastic chairs and a Jacuzzi. Very small couch, dining table for 4, mini frig, 2 burner stove, small microwave,blender, coffee maker. Mini frig. Restocked daily with a few sodas and a few waters and they count them. Unit was clean but some of appliances like coffee maker were not too clean upon arrival. Bathroom was sufficient with just a shower, no tub. No facecloths and shampoo and soap yes. Towels also very few. Safe in closet and plenty of storage space. Essentially the unit was nice, not spectacular, but nice, but NOT a one bedroom as booked. A/C had a control on wall but non functioning asked many times for someone to check but no one ever came, so at times was good others not so much. Sliding doors out to balcony, lock non functioning. Again told it would be fixed no one ever did. Hot water at times was an issue lack of, and yes it was very crowded, as we had expected at this time of year.

The pool is big with like a beach walk in area, nice touch. Lots of loungers around but not enough that had shade. The beach is small with minimal loungers and then there is an area above with sand and palapas that also has loungers, nice area but hard to get. They have a safe like thing attached to pole of palapas where you can pay to lock up your money ,camera etc. , again something different and quite convenient. The ground of the resort are very big, Koi ponds but not maintained and lot of tile again not maintained. Gardening of common areas in need of much maintenance. The resort is very big, lots of space, great area for nightly shows but the resort is in much need of maintenance. The Flinstone Park s great for the kids, and they have so much to offer kids esp. those in say 6-12 age range. Definitely an issue with short staffing considering high time nationally.

The buffet though at times was a bit limited in choices, it was very clean, well kept, different theme every night and plentiful food and drink. Short staffed again. The specialty restaurants, Mexican and Italian and Palapa seafood you can go as many times as you wish but must make reservations where as the buffet no reservations required. The Italian requires a more dressy attire, long pants for men.

There was a show every night but only in Spanish though occasionally they might speak a bit of English, geared much towards kids. There is live music in the Lobby Bar every night with dancing if you wish until 1am. There is free internet in the lobby with a password or wifi in rooms at 50pesos per day ( 24 hours) …slow internet. We just used the free lobby internet.

The staff were always pleasant just understaffed, some took a bit of time to warm up but after a bit they were fine.

We attended the timeshare presentation which they do hound you about continuously to point that if you attend they tie a ribbon around your wrist so no on bothers you anymore. We attended the timeshare as we wanted to confirm our feelings that we were not given a one bedroom unit as booked. We did receive2 massages and 40% off any other spa treatments, 2 bathrobes, one child’s Flintstone T-shirt. We had no intention of buying due to first maintenance issues, but hey were talking $9800. US with 10% down balance in 60 days or 35% down one year interest free. 14,000 options of places to go as is a points system every other is what they offered us since we have many timeshares. Good for 50 years. They show you on a computer much nicer places in Bali etc. which we have no interest we buy where we plan to go. We told them we liked the resort ,they told u sit was their least desirable property, hmmm, not so great to say. We did also tell them of all the maintenance issues we felt the place needed to be a great resort again, yes it is Mexican décor and feel but that is fine with upkeep. There were many tiles outside broken, posing danger etc. We also told them that we felt no trust in them now since they told us we were given a one bedroom at check in but yet they showed us a one bedroom during tour and not what we have…the manager of sales asked me if I was sure I had booked a one bedroom, yes def. I do his a lot and I am positive and I checked and double checked my paperwork. He actually did argue with me a bit that maybe I was mistaken..sorry but no. He made no amends, no sorry nothing. End of presentation. Really too bad as I thought it would be a great place for my son to become a member, since they grew up with timeshares and my grandson is only 3.

The food at resort was decent for the price could not beat it $50. Per person per day…breakfast buffet plentiful, a few options for lunch and dinner buffet or specialty restauarants. La Palapa Rest buffet for lunch but at night specialty..we had Coconut Shrimp on pineapple, very tasty but mall portions service good. The Italian Restaurant Vitrales, a bit more dressy, air conditioned, menlong pants great service, good food, we had salads, Vegetable lasagna, soup etc. all good. The Mexican restaurant was tasty and also had good service, so essentially not complaints on food, not gourmet, occasionally limited choices but for the price, you certainly would not go hungry and got your money’s worth.

Around the pool was quite difficult to get loungers and it was quite noisy with lots of kids so be prepared. Lots and lots of things to do..rifle shooting , archery, Flintstone Club, wall climbing, batting cages, basketball courts, checkers, chess , volleyball, water ball, minature golf, to name a few. The pool is big,t he largest in PV and it is heated. There is a snack bar by the pool and wait service for drinks as well. Only problem short staffed.

The live band in lobby bar at night was fun, dancing drinks and even popcorn and nuts till1 am.

We enjoyed our time at resort , went out quite a few times eating at Mango café and Vitea, roamed the Malecon, hooked up with friends and we even blew away half a day on a presentation to Vallarta Gardens Private Residence Club. It was a nice property but questionable things we found and still construction etc…along with pricey…The price went from $40,000US to $30,000 to 15,000 for 25 weeks which is timeshare not residence, many unanswered ??’s. We needed sometime of quiet and actually this was it and we got a bottle of pomegranate tequila, a catrina doll, (notone I am trying tofin though) and 5000 pesos, so for us since we do not get frazzled with these and we have many vacations to same area was well worth it, esp since we blew some hefty money on our way in as our car broke down. I do not suggest them for the weak, those who have little vacation time, cannot say no or get irritated easily LOL.

Upon checkout which was quick, we had to pay the hospitality tax which came to 185 pesos, but they had informed us of this upon check in. Bellboys were very nice but on the slow side, no rush well we were headed over to Casa Velas so I was in a rush..LOL
So I do recommend this resort for a family vacation with kids of many ages. The AI is well worth it for drinks,sodas, water, and breakfast and lunch and you can eat out every night and still be ahead. We will return and despite our distrust now due to the untruth of unit size,I tried to book a week for my son, his family and us, but alas I did not realize they have a 1 in 3 or 5 rule with RCI. I emailed them directly for an exception and would trade in2 units for us but they said RCI had control of that, again seems unclear. So we will take our grandson there possibly in 3-5 years…but Velas Vallarta made out as we have booked there instead. I do not recommend it here if you wish quiet, restful,childless, vacation. Romantic vacation not my style resort for that either. I will return most likely and give it a 2.5 to 3, a lot of weight goes on the room discrepancy sadly. English is not plentiful but you can get by and you do get a good Mexican feel for Mexican vacations…so loud,filled with music and drink and fun with dancing. We enjoyed our time.

Room Tip: Be sure you get size room you booked.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
meliapuertovallarta, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for your kind preference, specially for the valuable time that you took to let us know your impressions concerning the facilities and service provided during your recent stay.

Your observations were discussed in our daily meeting; these issues have been addressed with the corresponding department head to make the necessary corrections and avoid situations like this from happening again.

We sincerely appreciate your comments that give us the opportunity to know our guests valuable opinion since this is the key to success.

Hope to see you soon!
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Booked our family's winter holiday at this all-inclusive hotel in Puerto Vallarta and we all had a very good time! The food, hotel and ammenities were all better than I expected, and certainly more impressive than at similar properties we've stayed at previously, plus the staff were great at responding to our every request, especially our poolside server Benjamin, who was always cheerful and eager to fill our Margarita orders - of which we could never get enough. Our hotel was very open and spacious and transforms into a magical place at night when the sun goes down. We never felt we were at some mega-resort or just another guest number. Highly recommend, would love to stay here again, and will not hesitate to book another vacation at any Melia hotel.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
meliapuertovallarta, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay. We are happy to know that you have had an enjoyable time with us. Our commitment is to create unforgettable experiences.

Thank you again for shared with us your valuable comments and we hope to see you in the near future.
Abbotsford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

the food is well below average in variety and quality. the beach is rocky and not very clean. the pool-side restaurant is invisible and the service at the beach was almost non-existent. the rooms smell strongly of insectisides.
all the other resorts that i have visited in mexico give you a day-use voucher after check-out to allow you to eat and drink until your ride to the airport but the melia staff denied us this which meant that we were essentially stranded until we left for the airport. several attempts were made to try to get the staff and management to listen but at no avail.
all in all, this was not an enjoyable trip. i dont recoomend this resort and i will never go there again.

Room Tip: insist on having an ocean view if you decide to go to the Melia
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
First of all, we want to thanks you for taking the time to write this comment. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations and for the inconvenience you mentioned in your review. In reference to the Front desk staff, I would like to mention that the check-out time is 12:00 noon and after this hour there is a charge for meal plan.

Thank you again for share your comments.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My Family and friends which was a total of 18 people stayed at that hotel for a week and it was by far the worst experience i have ever had at a hotel or anywhere . I do not think the staff know what Customer service even mean . we were ignored by the front desk . always felt that they were chasing more after money then us being accommodated for what we have paid already . the food was below average , they by far have the ugliest beach in mexico , the water was too dirty . the collection of drinks and food was very poor , the rooms were very uncomfortable. but all that could have been okay if there was a good customer service . manger was giving us dirty looks , front desk staff called my dad " liar " , VERY RUDE , VERY VERY RUDE STAFF . we felt like we were serving our selves the whole time . I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVER TO ANYONE . ITS A WASTE OF MONEY .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
First, please accept my most sincere apologies for the attitude of our Front Desk Staff had with you during your check out and for the inconveniences you mentioned in your review; we will take immediate actions to reinforce the service training in order to improve this area also
I would like to mention that each point have been discussed and reviewed carefully with our staff in order to take the necessary measures to correct these problems.

Thank you again for your comments.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed in melia puerto Vallarta for a week we were 6 families 18 persons in total ,the hotel is full of all kinds of insects that were scaring us all the time ,food was below average beach is rocky and very deep not suitable for kids or even adults with average swimming skills and worst part was the CUSTMOR service who were arrogant and non friendly here one example last day the check out time was 1.0 pm and to be fair they moved check out time from 12.0 noon to 1.0 pm but our flight was not till 8.15 pm and they ordered us not to have any drinks or food from 1.0 pm till we leave one of our group went to the restaurant to order a drink the staff ignored him and asked the security to come and pick him up we felt really humiliated ,we arrived late in our chek in time because of the flight and it is just fair that they accommodate us till we leave we spent about 30,000 usd between all of us the least thing we expected is feel appreciated for our business but we did not feel that but the opposite we all decided that we will never go there anymore and talking to the manager she heared us and did nothing especially we had kids and other people who missed breakfast . I think this hotel need a better mangment as they try to sell you everything even in the restaurants there is a price for a lot of food items that is not included in all inclusive there is a charge for room service and so on , we are a frequent visitors of Mexico and we were there tens of times and never experienced such a treatment in any of our visits , I can not recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
I must first of all personally apologize for the inconvenience during your check out at our hotel. Your observation was discussed in our meeting; this issue has been addressed with the corresponding department head to make the necessary corrections and avoid situations like this from happening again but I would like to mention that the Check-out time is 12:00 and after this hour there is a charge for meal plan.

In reference to the bugs, we have to remember that Puerto Vallarta is a tropical weather so is pretty common finds bugs and different kind of insects around.

Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!