“the best place on earth” 5 of 5 stars

Krystal Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Av de los Garzas, s/n, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #85 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
guadalajara
“the best place on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

“15 years now, and I always look forward to the next time!”
I first came to the Krystal in Puerto Vallarta in 1993. It was totally by accident that I discovered it! My husband and I already had a time share in Mazatlan and we had “traded” to go to Puerto Vallarta. However, the hotel we were booked at was not very good! There were plumbing problems and a few other things. While we went to Gigante to do some grocery shopping, a man approached us at the store to see if we would take a tour of the Krystal the next morning, and they would give my husband some free golf! He definitely couldn’t pass that up! So we went on a tour of the Krystal just for fun…and I fell in love with it almost immediately! Not only was it SO much better than the place we were staying two blocks away, but it seemed like the perfect place for a family to come, and I had two children at home that I was hoping to bring sometime. The rooms were large and beautiful, lots of light coming in the windows, the décor was definitely Mexican, which I loved, the grounds were gorgeous, and the pools were crystal clear. I could envision coming here for many, many years! So we bought the time share right then, and the manager told us to leave the place we were staying and come spend the rest of the week at the Krystal! How could we say no?!!! I know it sounds silly, but what really sold me were the toilet paper roses that were on the rolls in each bathroom! I thought that was SO luxurious!! (While they no longer do the paper roses, we now have beautiful animals sculpted from towels on our bed each day, the lovely handiwork of the maid!)

Since then, I have been to the Krystal every year. I know some of the vendors from year to year and we are “amigos”! I know the maid who cleans up our room each year (we try and get the same room) and I save balls of yarn for her all year long and bring them to her, which she is delighted to get. We have upgraded from “ocean view” to “ocean front”, which we love, and now go for 2 weeks instead of one. And we purchased a villa, too, just so we would be able to come to the Krystal until we are in our 80’s! We have met people on the beach who are members at the Krystal and have become friends. Sometimes we see them every year or every other year! Over the years, I have brought two boyfriends to the Krystal, two husbands, and six children! (Not all at the same time!) I have sent my niece and her husband there for their honeymoon. My daughter and some friends vacationed there in college. I cannot think of a better place to be! While I did go to the Krystal in Ixtapa one year, I truly love the Puerto Vallarta Krystal and will continue to go every year and bring new people!

The Krystal is wonderful because there are all age groups there. There are teenagers on school break, but there are also families with children, and older couples who have been coming for years! Everyone on the staff is welcoming and very helpful. What I enjoy most is that it is so relaxing! If you want to stay on the beach all day and read, or go downtown to do some shopping, the pace is always pleasantly slow. We have found some restaurants that we love so much, we go to them every year. And every year we try a new place, too. And now that Soriana has a large grocery store only a block away from the Krystal, we go there for fresh produce and snacks almost daily, making it so convenient to bring groceries back to our apartment.

I cannot say enough about how much I love the Krystal in Puerto Vallarta! I’ve been going there every year for 15 years now, and I always look forward to the next time! I make my reservations for the following year before I even leave the Krystal, just so I have something to look forward to! Everyone I have brought there has loved it as well. I have no desire to trade my space at the Krystal for any other place! This is almost like a second home to me, which is what makes it so comfortable! I hope to continue going there for the next 25 years or more!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

I recently stayed here with 2 friends for a getaway.....and we were very disappointed, the only good thing about the trip was the service staff (who were AMAZING) and the view from the pool
- be prepared for no orientation only a "time share" sales pitch, which by the way avoid at all cost
- the food is TERRIBLE, and the drinks watered down
- all-inclusive only includes the buffet (no tthe other 2 restaurants on site), and don't expect all-inclusive to include the day you check-out (you get cut-off as soon as you check out)
- be sure to ask lots of questions because they don't offer information unless you ask the question.
- dine-out program: the restaurants are only available on specific days
- our "non-smoking" room had cigarette ashes on the floor of the bathroom and stunk of cigarettes everytime we turned on the airconditioning.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Stayed 5 days at this resort. If you stay in the new tower, it is fine. The pool area is nice. But whatever you do, don't do the all-inclusive. Once you have that band on, forget getting any service whatsoever. The food really stinks and is so repetitious. It is a decent hotel if you stay in the new tower, just don't eat there!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

My Girlfiend, Her Parents and My Parents stayed at Krystal the week of Nov 10- Nov 17. We were not disappointed!!!! My Girlfriend and I stayed here the same time last year and managed to convince the others to come along this year and promised that they would enjoy their time there. The staff made us look so good to our travelling parents. Right from the time we arrived at the front of the Hotel, the staff couldn't have treated us better. Helping with bags and waiting until we checked in, (which was done quickly and without hassle), they whisked us to our rooms in the new tower and even provided a short tour to familiarize the others with the layout of the resort. Arriving at our rooms, the one bellboy loaded up our baggage and stopped on two different floors to escort all of us to our rooms.

The room requests we had made before hand (oceanview, higher floors) were honored and we were very pleased with our rooms. It took us little time to get settled before wandering to the Grand Palapa to start enjoying the privledges that came with the all inclusive bracelets. I was amazed to find ALOT of the same staff manning their post from last year. Oliver,(our favourite waiter from last year) brought a smile to our faces as soon as we saw him in the restaurant. Oscar was still working behind the bar. Salvador was still toting drinks on the beach, Enrique is still putting on many miles serving drinks around the pool and the list goes on and on. This, to me at least, speaks highly of the management of the resort that they still maintained so much of their staff after the year that we were absent.

We also ran into some friends that we had made last year while on the resort. They returned to the Krystal as well on the same week. They said that as far as they were concerned, the Krystal was the best place to stay in Puerto Vallarta, for the money you spend. I Agree. You can spend more money at other resorts and get less bang for your buck than you do here. I have read countless reviews still bashing the food availability at the buffet. I don't know where these people are eating, but it can't be at the same place I am, because while the selection isn't vast, it is large enough and varied enough that you can always find something delicious to fill you up. When we were at the Krystal last year, the new tower was under construction and 2 of the three ala cartes we closed. This year all three were open. I don't know what I can say about La Tratoria (Italian) and Kamakura (Sushi) other than INCREDIBLE. These ala cartes are staffed by some of the best. Don't miss trying them, you will be sorry.

In the new tower, on the back side of the building is where the new Beauty Salon, Gym, and Spa are located. My Girlfriend and I took advantage of the couples massage again this year. $75 for 80 minutes for both of us, not each, for both. The girls are still incredible. We actually talked to the owner of the spa. (He will be the dude you see running around with the massage information/appointment board. Yes, he works the pool and beach answering question and booking appointments for his own business) He was extremely friendly and filled us in on his history etc. The gym appears to be well maintained, clean and has brand new equipment.

I highly highly highly suggest that if you want to get a feel for the area in and around Puerto Vallarta, that you hire a taxi by the hour. Talk to Giardo, or any of the guys at the bell captain station and tell them what you would like to do (shopping, city tour or getting up into the mountains etc) and they will get you a taxi driver that speaks english and send you on your way. We payed 200 pesos per hour (about $20) and our driver took us to some of the greatest places that you don't get to see on the organized tours. Our driver also NEVER let his car, with our purchases inside, out of his sight.

When it comes to off resort activities, save yourself alot of hassle and get in contact with Johann or Sandra at Puerto Vallarta Tours. They will take care of you and help you plan anything you want to do from bay cruises to zip-lining and anything in between. They hooked us up with the Bahia Alegre Bay cruise. Not only is this a great bay cruise, but the staff on the boat work their butts of to please you. We hooked up with them last year for dune buggies, the City/Shopping tour and the Los Veranos zip-lines. We didn't even hesitate when it came to returning to see our friends here.

Another thing that always impresses me about the Krystal is that someone is always painting or washing or sweeping or hosing something down. This resort is kept clean and looking fresh on a constant basis and considering the size of it, that is no small task. I will freely admit that there may be a cobblestone out of place here and there, but over all, the managenent and staff are in a constant cleaning/ upkeep mode, without inconviencing their guests.

If you are unsure of anything when it comes to the resort or the location of anything in town, you only need to ask one of the excellent staff or especially the bell captains and they will answer your questions and likely even help set it up for you. The one thing I can not stress enough is to show your appreciation by tipping. The all inclusive option includes gratuities, but you would be amazed at what 20 pesos ($2) here and there will get you. The staff works for it, believe me. Another helpful piece of information is that there is free WiFi throughout the resort. By the pool, in your room and even in the bar, you can keep in touch with the real world....if you must.

Sitting around the pool or on the beach will provide you with some of the most incredible sunsets that you can see in Puerto Vallarta. Another great view is provided by the para-sailing guys on the beach right at the resort. Give it a try!!

If you are still trying to figure out if this resort is worth your money and if you will enjoy your stay, you will not be disappointed by choosing the Krystal. My Girlfriend and I have already decided that we will be returning to the Krystal the same week in November next year and that we will be staying longer than a week. Adios.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I recently travelled with some friends to NH Krystal, Puerto Vallarta the first week of November (we are all 23). I was a little hesitant before going to this resort after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, but was pleasantly surprised when I arrived!

The hotel is only a 10 minute drive from the airport, and is also a 10 minute cab-ride to downtown (50 pesos, which is approximately $5.00 CDN). At first impression from the street, the hotel is secluded by a wall, but when you enter the hotel grounds there is a large open-air lobby with a big fountain. Since we arrived at 11:00 am, we had to wait in line for a while to check-in as it was check-out hour and the front desk was very busy. Since our all-inclusive package didn’t begin until 12:00 pm that day we were given a different colour bracelet and told to come back at 12:00 to get the all inclusive bracelet. We were however, immediately escorted to our room, and by the time we changed for the pool it was time to get our all-inclusive bracelet so it wasn’t too big of a deal.

The hotel is split with all-inclusive visitors and time-share owners. Because of this, and to monitor inventory, it is true that you are required to sign the bill after every meal or drink. Well I thought this would be a drag, it wasn’t too much of a hassle. They are very attentive at the restaurant, and you can run a tab at the swim-up bar all day, and sign before you leave at the end of the day. You simply need to tell them your room number each time (although if you visit the bar enough they will remember!!).

There is a pretty wide variety of food at the main buffet restaurant. I am an extremely picky eater, enjoying pretty standard food, but was able to find something to eat everyday at every meal. If the buffet doesn’t have anything that appeals to you, you can ALWAYS ask for the menu (be sure to ask because they don’t always offer you a menu). The menu has standard items such as pizza, pasta, hamburger, soup, BLT etc. which is available for lunch and dinner. For breakfast you can order sides of bacon, hash browns etc. We never went to the a la cartes but heard others rave about them!

As for our hotel room, we were in the new building and our room was extremely clean and nice. Use of the safe was free (everywhere else I have been you had to pay!), there is a flatscreen tv (though only 3 English channels), and a rainforest showerhead. There were enough towels for each of us, AC worked great, and the maid cleaned everything perfectly! The only complaint about the room would be that it was adjoined to another room which is just separated by the door. This makes noise a bit of an issue depending on your neighbors! I think where the negative reviews of the hotel come from are the timeshare condos. From what I gathered from talking to some of the timeshare owners, is that the condos aren’t a great value for the money you pay.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. There are cobblestone paths throughout, and I can see where some would complain. There are ways around it, and eventually you become aware of your steps. We had no problems getting chairs in the morning at the pool, but securing an umbrella for shade required you to get up early. Marco, the activity director did a great job, doing aqua fit, beach and pool volleyball, and water basketball. Not many people were involved in the activities but that could be because we were the youngest at our resort…he always made sure we were entertained if we wanted to do something! At night, at about 8:30-9:00 there is always some show or activity (Latin dance, bingo, karaoke). Again, not the most exciting but kept us entertained until it was time to go to the bars!

Christine’s is a club which is open to the public but is attached to the resort. If you have all-inclusive you get free cover but must pay for drinks. We went to Puerto Vallarta for the party scene and were told not to go there, and that it was pretty lame. Instead we opted for the Zoo, Glam, and Senior Frogs. Senior Frogs is definitely worth the money and is tons of fun! Some nights you can buy tickets for these bars directly from the activity director. There is a sports bar on the resort which serves alcohol until 2am. It’s the only place on the hotel grounds you can get alcohol after 11:00pm.

As for other activities off the resort definitely go shopping at the flea market, the $28.00 US cab ride to Le Kliffe restaurant is definitely worth it at sunset, and I would highly recommend the Pirates By the Bay Pirate Ship evening tour! Tons of fun!

I would definitely recommended this resort, but there isn’t much going on a night time. If you are looking to party 24/7 maybe stay closer to downtown!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

Myself and my husband stayed here from the 22-29th and I will say I have alot to compare the hotel having travelled a fair bit, the hotel itself is very dated with the cobblestone walkways and architecture which some people might really like, they also have a newer building which is where we stayed and had no problem with the king size bed that we had. Although i heard several people say they had no hot water on several days in the older building. The timeshare people are just unreal there from the minute you step off of the plane, pretending to be from your hotel and trying to say they are helping you find your bus to the hotel only to try and sell you a timeshare BEWARE!! I will also state for the record the hotel was only at about 30% capacity if that and this may be the reason we had pretty poor meals . The buffet selection itself was very limited often cold and probably because the food had been sitting there for hours at no fault of the hotel ,but when the hotel is full I cannot imagine how such a small buffet area would service so many people, It is true you must sign your bill after every meal or drink or run a tab even when on the all inclusive because the hotel has so many timeshare people and also allows local business people to eat at the buffet and it also allows the cruise ship people to come use the hotel and there were many of both at this time. I feel somewhat bad in writing such a poor review since I really didn't pay that much to go but if I had I would have been very dissappointed. It is very hard to get a drink in the evening unless you go to the sports bar or pool area. The staff work very hard and are quite friendly. All in all I will say the food was very poor at the buffet apparently you could order specific items if you wanted and they would accomodate but we were unaware of this and were not offered it. The location isn't too bad about a 10 minute drive to downtown and the airport, the beach is decent quite rough while we were there. The excursions and tours were half price if you took the timeshare tour BUT you have to arrange your own transportation to the event which I found odd since everywhere else I have gone they picked you up at your hotel and it was included in your tour. Maybe this hotel steps it up in the high season I am not sure but it has some major flaws, like I said earlier it is quite dated alot of broken tile around the pool and the cobblestone very uneven and hard to walk on although they seem to be working on this issue. The italian restaurant was quite good but it was also buffet and I was under the impression that they had a menu but I was mistaken and this was the only other restaurant to eat at. The entertainment was also lacking and cheesy at best but this may have also been due to low capacity. Any specific questions feel free to email.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Family of four (two teenagers 14 and 16) stayed here in July 2009. We stayed in one of the condos on the property that is owned by a friend so I can't comment on the hotel accomodations. We really liked the resort. It feels like you are in a small Mexican town with cobblestone streets. The grounds are beautiful and green and well maintained. We did not do an all-inclusive (and really with the FABULOUS restaurants downtown and in old town, why would you want to eat at a buffet every day). We ate at the outdoor restaurant a few times for lunch and breakfast and it was ok but nothing spectacular. The pool area was huge and you get free towel service. The waiters are the best here and really work hard. Salvador was our beach waiter and was great. We hung out on the beach every day and did not go to the pool that much. Yes, there are vendors out there all day long and yes they ask you to buy things. However, they were never pushy and if you are nice, don't show any interest and just say No Gracias, they don't bother you. We bought several things from them and got some great prices. The beach palapas are big and provide plenty of shade. The ocean was pretty rough when we were there so we didn't go too far in the water but enjoyed it from the shore. There is a nice big grocery store just a few blocks away and you can buy water, beer, etc. there. I would highly recommend going into town for dinner. There are some fabuolus restaurants and a cab ride (we didn't do the bus) was only about $4. The best meal we had was at Fajita Republic. We also did one excursion to Los Veranos for ziplining...it was a blast and the staff on the ziplines made the experience very special. Many people speak some English but it is fun to try out some Spanish as well. We were there in low season and so the restaurants were not busy (sometimes there was only a few people in the restaurants). We received excellent service everywhere we went, taxis are plentiful and nothing was crowded.

I have stayed in the Cancun area in the past and the beaches are certainly nicer there. However, you rarely leave the all-inclusive resorts there. The nice part about Puerto Vallarta is that you get to experience the city and the people and the restaurants are excellent. I would recommend the Krystal Vallarta. However, if you like modern, sleek and extravagant, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Krystal Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!