“Excellent hotel with amazing staff. Perfect quality vs price ratio.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Francisco Medina Ascencio KM 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #70 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Excellent hotel with amazing staff. Perfect quality vs price ratio.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have visited the hotel many times in the past four years and we must say that we will keep coming back. Perfect for those who don't want to pay a fortune but yet have a clean room, good food and a great time. My friend and I have been guests for years and every time we return it feels like coming back home. The food is always good and changes everyday and the rooms even if outdated a little are in a good and clean state. The personnel is exceptional. We always have the best service from Jose Luis and Luis and at the Guacamaya; Miguel, Enrique & Gustavo at the pool and not to forget the two Hector (Pollo & Tragedias) who work together at the bar, these two really make a good team and their happiness is contagious to the guests as they seem to enjoy it even more when people are having a good time and that is why we are there for after all! Dalia at the reception is just wonderful and our maid Rosa always keeps the room looking fresh and looks after us if we need anything. We could name many more if we remembered all the names because everyone is always very nice.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to make the most out of a vacation without having to sweat it when it comes down the price. Of course, if you except a fancy 5 stars honeymoon-ish hotel you may want to go pay twice as much somewhere else but if you like a stress free and close to everything quality resort to kick the feet up for a week, this is just perfect. Take time to chat with the people there you will love it even more!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GERENCIAGHIR, Gerente at Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, as a Hotel Manager I feel very proud of my staff, I shared your comment at the same time that was recived. Thank you again and I hope to see you very soon here your home away from home.

Luis A Rodríguez V.

1,335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed six nights on an all-inclusive WestJet vacation package. First impressions were not good and it didn't get much better. The hotel on a spectacular stretch of Banderas Bay is badly in need of upgrading and felt quite shabby throughout. We had an upgraded (painted) room on the 9th floor with a spectacular view, comfy beds and decent bathroom. One of the three restaurants was closed so there were limited meal choices - poolside buffet, snack bar and Italian restaurant. Food in all three is best described as adequate. We were charged for Corona beer (made in Mexico) even though our vouchers clearly stated 'all domestic drinks included'. It seemed a struggle to keep the pool clean, especially on the weekends when the hotel had larger groups booked. The water was greenish and murky for a few days of our stay, making the ocean a more appealing option for swimming. There are many vendors along this beach and the same vendors will approach you every fifteen minutes, even if you are asleep. There is a roped off area intended to keep the vendors at a distance but they simply walk over the rope. On the bright side...this hotel is closer to an authentic Mexican experience than a shiny new condo, and it seems a favorite spot for Mexicans. The location is on a beautiful stretch of beach with a spectacular view of the bay and close enough to walk to take a taxi or bus to old PV. Staff here are trying hard and many are long term employees. Several fellow-travelers say they come back here every year because the staff make them feel like family. Bottom line: a budget hotel offering an old-style Mexican experience and friendly staff.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments we appreciate the time that you took in write those, please be so kind to contact me in order to review your account and if was billed inappropriately must to be fix it.

After to analize all , we will solve the points that we can and we will do it asap.

Thank you and regards.

Luis A Rodríguez V.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This doesn't deserve the stars they rate it. This is the second time I have been here. A lot of the vacation clubs rate it 4 star. It is definitely not. The food was average, the front desk very average (crabby a lot). Rooms ok. Service was ok. The bar start was pretty good (probably the best part) Location average. The price was far too much for the package. The week was very slow so they had the beach snack bar closed for most of the week and some restaurants and even some bars. It seems wrong to be sort of punished and not get the amenities as advertised and frankly that you are paying for. Not a re-do for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GERENCIAGHIR, Gerente at Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, your comments we commit to work even more and focus on the points you mention looking for the best alternatives available to suit all our customers. Expect to notice a difference on your next trip if you decide to stay with us.

I reiterate my thanks and I am at your service,

Luis A Rodríguez V
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I must say time for a up grade. This hotel was probably built 20 + some years ago.Nice beach area , good food , good service, staff very friendly ,.The building needs a face lift including the pool area .It is past it's prime and. Needs work to bring it up to date with some construction. The rooms need upgrading especially the bathrooms from what I saw. The one we were in the tub is so old enamel is coming off it and taps look original,grout need to be redone as cracked and dirty look like mould going to settle in soon.
I would not recommend this hotel till they up graded it.Nor will I visit again.

Room Tip: Pool view can be noisy , special if they have a band playing ,good view though
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments, we are pleased to know that the staff has given their best and we are really sorry that the facilities have not been within its expectations. We will pay special attention to the comments that we shared to improve the building.

Respectfully,

Luis A Rodríguez
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed in the hotel and it was everything the website indicated. We had a king bed on the 9th floor and overlooked the pool area. Sliding glass doors to the balcony with a wonderful view of the ocean, downtown Puerto Vallarta and the mountains. Bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. Bath facilites were also very nice. We had free wifi and had no problems at all. I've read other reviews that said they had problems so was very pleasantly surprised. Breakfast buffet was crowded one particular morning but service and food were great. The entire staff was excellent from the front desk, the concierge, waiters and bell hops. This hotel is located between the marina and downtown so it was easy to catch the bus for just 6.5 pesos and go downtown. Taxis were also readily available. Would stay here again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: There are condos for rent here on higher floors with an even better ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We made a reservation from Nov 1st until Nov 5th, the first strike against them was while checking in, we asked if we could have two of our relatives come and join us at the buffet for lunch and they politely told us that the only way was if we paid $55 USD per person for a day pass, what?? They can't come and eat with us?? I find this very unacceptable, it's not like we are asking for them to use the facilities like the pool or gym.

Strike Two: The internet, they gave us a code that only works for one device, there are two of us with multiple devices, I had to call and argue so I could just get a second code.

Strike Three: The internet, again. It was soooo very slow, it wasn't like I was trying to download something, I could not browse at all, it would time out constantly, this was very frustrating.

Strike Four: The bar downstairs was full of teenagers, there were buses from the "Tecnologico de Zapopan" in the parking lot, a lot of people... I am on the 5th floor and it is like 12:45 in the morning and we could hear the rowdiness of the crowd, they were singing and screaming at the top of their lungs, when I called to complain 'Eduardo' told me that they were within their right to do it, this I couldn't believe, I told him that we would be checking out next morning and he said that it was fine, no apologies whatsoever and this is what really kills me, they don't care at all.

Next morning when we went to checkout 'Eduardo' was there still or again? Anyway, we told him the reason why we decided to leave before our anticipated check out date was because of the excessive noise and all he was able to say was: "They will be leaving tomorrow (The college kids) I don't know if you want to stay" We said NO THANK YOU.

Site Note: In the bathroom there was bathtub with no shower curtain, when we took our showers we flooded the bathroom floor but at this point we had already decided that we were leaving so it was a mute point to complain.

The service at the Holiday Inns seem to be going down hill, we decided not to stay at this chain in the future.

We do not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear MiguelDex,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the day pass policy of the hotel, and behavior of other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Well here I am again at the Holiday Inn. Hurrican Manuel has missed us but the sea has washed up quite a bit of rubbish. Here I am after my morning swim taking my breakfast to the beach and taking a lounger down to the water edge. There is a lot of rubbish washed up and there are staff cleaning the beach so I decided to help and, "lo and behold", the next thing I see is the Manager there, with his shirt off, and then a lot of staff all come to clean up the beach, Also it's turtle season. What a wonderful job they all do, as a team, to see the beach is back to normal. I have to really give the team at the Holiday Inn,10 points as they do a wonderful job on service and the sports facilities are fabulous Kayaking diving , games, dance class, etc, etc I have a great time here.Some of the staff have been there 17 to 20 years,, That to me speaks for it self!!! I have a fabulous holiday here. I keep coming back. Every one is so friendly.

Room Tip: I am on the 15th floor and have a view to die for!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!