“Comfortable Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Francisco Medina Ascencio Km 2.5, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #13 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Las Vegas, NV
“Comfortable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

We stayed in the Fiesta Americana for 6 nights in July, and if I'm to be perfectly honest, when we first arrived in Puerto Vallarta I was a little disappointed with what we saw. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but we had gone to Cancun a few years ago and I guess we thought it was going to be similar. I also read some fantastic reviews on this website and expected something else.

The short journey from the airport to the hotel did nothing to comfort us, there's construction everywhere and traffic was hectic. Once we arrived at the hotel we thought the hotel was nice but based on all the reviews, I expected a little more. For example, the room was very average, and a little on the small side (for two adults and two small children). The view, however, was excellent and compensated for the mediocre room. Beds and bathroom facilities were fine. Strangely enough over the duration of the vacation we grew to appreciate and like the hotel more and more.

The pool is terrific for kids and if you go with small children be sure to take advantage of the Kids Club (where they have free activities pool-side each day). Be sure to ask for the free lunch for the kids too (no-one told us about it and we only learned about it on our last day).

The hotel sits right on the beach and has a private area roped-off for guests. Although vendors were on the other side of the ropes they didn't hassle us at all, nor were we approached by any timeshare people in the hotel (I read that they would try to lure you to an orientation only to try to sell you a timeshare).

Unlike Cancun (and other resorts) there's not a lot of things to do immediately outside the hotel. There's a nice French restaurant (Le Petit) which was great for breakfast and dinner and a mall across the street. Other than that the bus to Downtown (El Centro) runs literally every 60 seconds and costs 4.5 pesos (42 cents). The exchange rate at the hotel was surprisingly the best we found anywhere.

Also surprising was that we were one of the only Americans at the resort. Most guests were Mexicans on vacation. Not everyone at the hotel speaks English (except the front desk). Some of the barstaff for example only know only one or two words. Also some of Concierge staff had difficulty giving me directions in English. My wife speaks fluent Spanish so when she was beside me then there was obviously no problems, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The prices at the bar and pool are a little high but nothing outrageous ($4.25 for beer, yet only $1.25 for a bottle of Coke). Although we didn't try the cocktails they ran anything from $5.50 - $8.50.

As we ventured to different parts of Vallarta we realized that our hotel was probably one of the best ones in the city, and the kids kept asking to go back to the pool and to the beach. One tip I can give you is despite the hotel's claim of having plenty of shade at the pool, this isn't always the case. You do have to claim your spot early otherwise you'll be stuck in the melting sun.

We visited Marina Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta but were surprised at the lack of stuff to do there. Be careful when booking excursions at the hotel (or anywhere else for that matter). We were quoted $70 on Expedia for a pirate ship cruise and thought it might be cheaper in the hotel. The guy at the hotel wanted to charge us $82.50 and then argued with us when I told him it was cheaper elsewhere. Wherever we went the prices of things fluctuated daily, but we found very little in Vallarta to be cheap. An example is a bucket and pale for the kids to play with on the beach. In the U.S. you'd pay perhaps $2.00. The store in the mall wanted $9.00 and wouldn't budge on the price. We finally saw one in Wal-Mart (2 miles from the hotel) for around $4.50. Seafood is the exception, we had a lobster, shrimp and mahi-mahi dinner for $12.00 at Roberto's (highly recommended). Pipi's Restaurant was also a great place to go, if not as authentic.

The hotel gift shop is undoubtedly the most expensive that I have ever encountered in the world. A sherbert candy was $5.00! Fortunately there's a store called Gigante across the street for those snacks. We also bought a six-pack of beer for $4.00 and brought it back to the pool.

Al-in-all we had fun and and if we returned to Puerto Vallarta we would stay at the F.A. but would ask for the Fiesta Club rooms on the 9th floor.

• Stayed July 2005

1,004 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

Just returned from spending July 4 - 8 at the Fiesta Americana. Our stay was wonderful. The hotel is immaculate and the staff is awesome. We arrived at 10:00 am and were in our rooms by 11:30. Had a beautiful ocean view from the 4th floor. Our room was a nice size and very well kept by the cleaning staff every day. Our beach area was by far the best we saw going either direction. No jellyfish in the water and we swam in the ocean several times each day. Eduardo at the beach restaurant and Alejandro at the beach bar were wonderful to us. Fantastic service all day long. We did not participate in the AI as we thought we would want to get venture to town and try different restaurants. Next time we will do AI as we only ate away from the hotel twice. I felt the breakfast buffet was too pricey at $18 per person. The food for the most part was good. The drink specials were great every day. Check out was a breeze. There were no timeshare people anywhere to be seen. We will definitely stay here again if we make it back to Puerto Vallarta. We would also like to try the Fiestas at Cabo and Cancun.

Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

Hmm... just where to begin. We booked our flight and hotel through Apple Vacations. If we were to take a trip to Puerto Vallarta or anywhere else in the Caribbean, I would most definetly use Apple again. But the one thing that I disagreed with Apple, was the fact that they bestowed the Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta Hotel a 6 Golden Apple. With opinions from the rest of my family, we agreed that it should have been a simple 4 or 5 Red Apple. For what we heard about its glory, we weren't impressed at all.
Apple Vacations took us on a bus from the small airport to the hotel. We couldn't wait to barge through the open entrance. In the entire lobby, there were no doors connecting you from the outside. Occasionally, soothing breezes passed through. When you first enter the lobby, just take a moment to look up at the stunning hut-like ceiling. It was truly huge and beautiful in many ways.
As for check-in, it was rather slow. We got a bit scared when the people in front of us were complaining, because they did not get their ocean-view room that they wanted. Even though that it says that athere are 291 ocean-view rooms, there are many rooms that over look the city instead. Wew were next to check in, a little scared, but our check-in lady Gloria was able to get us a high-up ocean-view room. There are only nine floors (with the guest rooms) in the Fiesta. The very top floor, being the 9th, is extra money, but have the suites. We stayed on the sixth floor, which was clearly high enough to see the ocean. In the center and the right of our view was just the Banderas Bay. OVer on the left, the city was visible. And looking down, you can see the continuous theme of straw huts, as well as a good-sized pool to the left. It was an amazing view. For the rooms, the beds were average, the TV was average with some Enlish channels including ESPN and HBO, and the bathroom was average. It was completely the same as an American room, with the exception of the floor. On the floor, there were marble tiles, opposed to carpet. I would rate the rooms 3 out of 5,
The next morning, we went down to breakfast at their one restaurant. It says that there are actually 3 restaurants, but one was closed, and the other was just a continuation of te first restaurant. The Chula Vista is under one of the many straw huts, making it very outdoors. For breakfast, you can either choose the menu,n or like most people, go the the buffet. They had the usual cantaloupe, honeydue, and watermelon slices, hashbrowns, pancakes, and french toast, and of course many other breakfast items. BUt the most disgusting food in the buffet were the scrambled eggs. THere was no flavor, and the it soaked in the pan in its own yolk juice. WHen you scooped it up with the spoon, all of the goo would drip out. Eek! Then, you were able to personalize your omlets, which were farely good. For breakfast food, I would rate it 3 out of 5, becuse there was rarely something special, and the eggs were just plain grose.
Next, we decided to hit the beach. It was very clean, and they tried very hard to make sure no rocks or any other objects that were easy to twist your ankle on were lying in the sand. The sand color was brown and the water was greenish blue, differing from the Carribean with white sand and pure blue water. But that didn't matter. In the bay, there were constant fierce waves pushing you to shore. We considered "wave-jumping" as one of our favorite activities to do. It was very peaceful also just to sit in a long chair under a large straw umbrella and reador book or sit in the sun and get a tan. BUt there were constant vendors or the beach. We did not mind them at all; in fact, we bought several items from them. It is not like they're screaming, "By a necklace for 60 pesos here!" But they simply walked up and down the beach displaying them without a word. Keep in mind that they will only annoy you if you want the product that they are selling. I would rate the beach 5 out of 5, because it was very fun and very peaceful regardless of the many vendors.
Next is the pool. It is a very large pool, but don't expect a deep end. The entire pool only has one height, being 1.2 meters (about 3 feet and 6 inches). There were water shootes on the side, chairs on shallower ends in the middle, and the best part, about eight stools tiled to the bottom of the pool on the far end with a long bar table. This was the swim-up bar. If you were on the all-inclusive plan, you could just swim up, ask the tender for "one non-achoholic piña colada (for me being only twelve years old) and an order of french fries. I would rate the swim-up bar 4 out of 5, because if you wanted an order like that, it woulds take a while. I would rate the pool 3 out of 5, because it wasn't exactly thrilling and even though it was very clean, itw was still dirty compared to the rest of the hotel.
Never order room service if you are in a hurry. First of all, if you order before 7:00pm, it isn't free. We had to leave to go canopying (with was absolutely awesome) at 7:50. We ordered the food for 7:00-7:30, but our food didn't come until 7:45, which would give us only 5 minutes to eat. (But when we realized that our food may not come, we went down for a bagel at the restaurant). But I was able to see that they put so much effort into making every dish that we ordered, and therefore I felt bad, but it truly wasn't our fault. The kitchen down there is very slow, even in the actual restaurant.
The staff members were very hard working. There were only a couple that spoke only Spanish, and they were given jobs that didn't involve communication, such as a chef or towel register. And it was very common to see staff members mopping elevators and the floors. For the iad service, they kept everything very clean, but if you find your shoes missing, look in the closet! Even though a few of my items disappeared, I still had trusted the maids. I give 4 out of 5 for staff, and 5 out of 5 for the cleanliness.
And just a few more comments: As of complaints, the floors there were definetly not barefoot-proof, so make sure that you wear shoes when you walk in lobby, or on a sunny day, on the brick ground, because it reaches fervent, scorching temperatures. ANother being that we just got tired of eating at only one restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the fitness room is a whole anotehr story itself.
They do have a fitness room, even though it is not listed and on the website, it says that one isn't available. It is a little small, making body heat from other people ascend into the air. And the worst part is that thnere is absolutely not a single item giving air circulation, not a single fan or even an opened window. Eek!
For lunch, they have the same menu as dinner, but there is not buffet. For lunch however, you can just order off of a snack-bar menu, including hotdogs, tuna salad sandwich, hamburgers, and etcetera (or the most delicious sounding item, the shrimp and octopus tenders! Mmmm, Octopus!).
Dinnertime comes, and you are expecting a fancy sitdown dinner. Well, you could do that and order off of the menu, or you could go to the buffet. There is always a different theme every night, such as Americana, Mediterraneano, Italiano, Tropical, or Mexicano. My personal favorite item on the menus was the tortilla soup. One night during our visit, they had a different menu, where you could order one of about ten different plates with different fish or meat on it, including salmon, Mahi Mahi, or T-bone. If you are on the all-inclusive plan, the only thing on the menu that is not free are the steaks. BUt we decideded to have it one night just fora treat. And that was the night. For the buffet, they just had items from different nights. This buffet, in which we had a previous night as well, is the theme of Internacional (International), which we had for our side dish. I would rate the food over all 3 out of 5, even ignoring the fact that there was only one restaurant. It was very slow, and some of the food items weren't as delicious as the sounded.
We really did enjoy our trip here at the Fiesta, and we still believe it was better than our other choices, such as the Mariott, which is not all-inclusive and its much more expensive on top of that fact, and the RIU Jalisco. The RIU did have five restaurants, but it is literally five times larger than the Fiesta, and every single night, all of the restaurants were completely booked up. And with that many people, it would be hard to get a spot on the beach. At the Fiesta, we never had to wait not even a second to be seated, and there was always an open spot on the beach. The only other place that we may consider would be the Dreams. I jsut wish that our hotel would have been more of a dream, but it didn't ruin our perfect vacation in the least.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

My wife, 7 year old son and I stayed at the Fiesta Americana during the last week of June and we thoroughly enjoyed every day of it. We stayed at a "Fiesta Room", which is on the 9th floor of the hotel. For a few extra bucks this arrangement provides an added sense of privacy as you get a special key for the elevator to access the top floor.

The room was better than average, the beds were comfortable, not hard as others have experienced. The balcony view is awesome (see photos I uploaded) and the total hotel experience went without a hitch. Check-in was quick and and easy and check out was the same. Another Fiesta Room nicety, you check out at the 9th floor lobby where there's no lines!

My son learned how to swim at this vacation, so he spent most of his time at the pool. The water is clean and fresh, maintained on a daily basis without exception. In fact, the cleanliness of the entire hotel is exceptional, as someone else has already pointed out.

We did not find Puerto Vallarta to be smoggy and dirty as someone else did, but I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. PV is a city, NOT a remote island in the South Pacific. You will therefore find some of the urban undesirable side effects such as traffic, etc. If you are looking for Tahiti then don't go to Puerto Vallarta. I still did not see any excessive amounts of smog though... there was a haze in the morning hours but I attribute that to the marine layer which later burns off.

The best part of the trip was when we hired a tour operator for $120 for the whole day, all to ourselves. He picked us up in his air conditioned Suburban and took us to Mismaloya, just a 1/2 hour away where we had an exceptional wilderness experience in a river with waterfall and all. If you just visit downtown PV and the hotel zone, you have not even begun to scratch the surface of what your vacation has to offer!

Overall rating: 9 out of 10. We will be back...

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My husband and I just celebrated our one year anniversary. Last year for our honeymoon we stayed at the Adventura Spa and Resort (we did the All Inclusive) in the Maya Riviera which we absolutely loved!!! This year we decided that we wanted to visit Puerto Vallarta and so we chose to stay at the Fiesta Americana. We had read all the reviews and found them helpful. We chose not to do the all inclusive because we wanted to experience Puerto Vallarta and its culture and cuisine. When we arrived at the airport, it took only at most 30 minutes from arriving at the airport to getting checked in at the hotel...no problems with check-in what so ever. The hotel was beautiful and the service was very friendly. We stayed in room 408 and had an excellent view of the ocean and the pool. The room was very nice...marble floors, balcony, and king size bed (bed was not comfortable...it was quite hard) and the room was kept very clean on a daily basis. The room also had a mini bar that was far over priced if you did not do the AI. We were happy to have made the decision not to do the AI because only 2 out of the 3 restaraunts were open and the food was not that great. However they did have freshly squeezed juices that were fantastic!!! We also found that the meals at the hotel were greatly over priced for the quantity and quality of the food ( for example...breakfast for 2 at the buffet cost us $40). The pool is nice but the water was on the cooler side and the ocean was too rough to swim in and not to mention infested with jellyfish. Entertainment at the hotel for adults was nonexistent. If you are the party goer, there are many bars to choose from downtown if you are willing to spend $4-6 for a cab ride(to and from) and deal with bumper to bumper traffic (FYI...there are no driving rules in Mexico!!). When out around town we were extremely annoyed by all the time share guys trying to get you to go see their time share or sign you up for one of their many excursions. Although we did not do the AI we also found that the food around town was at times over priced for the quantity and quality of the food. However, we loved the breakfast at Freddy Tucans (must try the french toast...to die for!!!). All in all the hotel was nice but on a scale of 0-10...our trip averaged a 5. We will not be returning to Puerto Vallarta again.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

Reading the reviews were very important to me in making my decision where to stay, so I will try to carry on the tradition in hope of helping others decide if this hotel is for them!

ALL INCLUSIVE: We felt this was a great value, overall. We traveled with two young children and didn't want to be seeking out every meal. As it turned out we ate all of our meals at the hotel. We also ordered appetizers, ice cream, consumed plentiful amounts of beer, pina coladas and taquila and our kids were even able to order juice at the pool's swim up bar. We were told te "BE SURE" that our receipts were all stamped to indicate all inclusive, and we forgot a few times. Also, some of the pricier meat cuts and seafood was NOT included So I wondered if at check-out we would be informed we owed money where we ordered something we shouldn't have. No problem. At check-out they didn't try to charge us anything extra, not even for the bottle of wine that wasn't part of our all-inclusive (we didn't find out until the next day when we got a sheet telling what was and was not included).

THE ROOMS: About what we expected. The beds were a little hard, but everything was clean and in good repair. Nice view from the balcony.

THE PREMISES: Very beautiful and extraordinarily clean. Employees are working constantly scrubbing and cleaning everywhere.

THE BEACH: Nice sand, lots of space, pretty views, spacious. Water was too rough to swim.

FOOD: Very mixed ratings! Some of the food was very good (4 out of 5 stars) and some was just awful (1 out of 5 stars). A lot of the variance was because of freshness concerns. I opened a butter for my child (plastic encased single-serving) and it was rancid and had a green-grey mold growing on it! It takes a lot of abuse for butter to end up in this condition. A lot of the items on the buffet would appear over and over instead of being thrown away. The corn on the cob returned to the dry, shriveled appearance of seed corn. The baked potatos were dry, leather, hollow rock. The yogurt on the buffet was allowed to get warm as the buffet was open for so long and the part that had the yogurt was not iced. The containers were mauled from being put out and returned for so many times and they were often spoiled even though they had not expired. One of our party became sick from the food. On the other hand, if you stuck with the entrees that were prepared fresh and looked out for freshness, you could find items that were very good. A lot of times the food looked a lot better than it tasted, it just wasn't great food.

On the positive side, fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice was served daily and awesome. The fruits were plentiful and fresh, and the cook would prepare items not on the menu if you asked and he had what he needed to prepare it. The waiters were very friendly, and the pina coladas were 5-star, and I'm not even a pina colada drinker.

KIDS CLUB: Decent activities to entertain your kids-make bracelets, make a paper mache and other things. But we had a problem with the supervision that was downright scarry. Ok, the idea of kids club is you leave your kids with the girls and you go do your thing, right? Well I was not comfortable with that idea so I hung around and watched while the kids were entertained. My kids are 3 & 5 years old. The three year old needed to use the bathroom, so I asked if they two girls would watch my 5 year old while I took the little one to the bathroom--which was only 50 feet away. They said, sure they would watch her. We were in the bathroom about 10 minutes, and when I returned my 5 year old was gone, and the two girls were chatting merrily away with eachother. I asked where was my daughter and they shrugged. I found her in the pool, in water over her head with a flotation device. She cannot swim. I got her out and went back to kids club and asked what in the *!@$ is going on! They said she wanted to go swimming and they told her no but she wouldn't listen, end of story. WHAT???? I asked, well why didn't you come tell me? Or you could have at least walked over to where she was swimming and watched her to make sure she didn't drown! No, instead they simply ignored the problem and thought they'd just take a break! I was really really mad, and told them they were at fault, my child could have died in the pool, and that if they take on the responsibility of watching children they need to take that responsibility seriously. So do think twice about leaving your kids with someone who has little incentive to be careful with that which is most precious to you!!!

PUERTA VALLARTA: Something I had not seen mentioned in any review before so it surprised me, very very smoggy and polluted!!! I was surprised. I would expect the Pacific breeze would keep the air clean and fresh, but apparantly not. So much traffic, lots and lots of stinky old buses. I was very disappointed in the air quality. It was fine right at the hotel and beach where you are RIGHT ON THE BEACH, but as soon as you got to any part of the roads or the town it was nasty and stinky. That alone makes me want to go somewhere else next time. A polluted smoggy city is not my idea of a tropical paradise.

Stayed June 2005
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

It is a long way from Big Timber Montana to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico via Denver Colorado. We had planned to spend our vacation in Estes Park Colorado since our daughters live in Denver Colorado it would be a short drive for them. About mid February I felt the need for warm weather and sunshine. so I put forth the idea of a vacation to Puerto Vallarta and everyone was in agreement that this was a GREAT IDEA.

I did extensive research and read all the reviews on Trip Advisor (which I found to be very helpful) and decided the Fiesta Americana was where we would stay. We booked the airfare and accommodations through Expedia and also ground transportation. I was very pleased with there service and the only problem we encountered was when it came time to depart for the airport our transport was late. So expedia put us in two taxis and paid the fare and off we went with plenty of time to spare.

We flew out of the Denver International Airport on the 31st of May at 8:54 arriving in Puerto Vallarta 2:35. Expedia was there to pick us up and off to the Hotel we went. The warmth felt sooo good; since it had rained all the way from Big Timber to Denver and was only 40 + degrees. I just wanted to soak up all the sun I could.

The Fiesta Americana was a wonderful place to stay. The rooms were spacious, clean and inviting. We were on the 2nd floor, poolside and had a great view. In fact the first night we were treated to a fireworks display which was at the Malecon and we watched it from the balcony of our room. We loved the open entrance to the Lobby and the waterfall and inviting decor and the landscaping was very lush. The staff was friendly and very helpful when we asked questions or directions. We liked the location and the fact there was a Mall with a grocery store where we would buy pastries and fruit for our breakfast.

The restaurants at the Hotel were excellent; from the display of color at the breakfast buffet to the tantalizing aroma of the evening buffet. You could spend a week just eating. Two other great restaurants we enjoyed were the Agave Grill inside of the La Casa del Tequila located on Morales Street off the Malecon and the Tia Maria, which I recommend highly. It is about 4 to 5 blocks going to El Centro (North end of Puerto Vallarta) on the opposite side of the street of the Fiesta Americana Hotel. Just a hole in the wall but the food and service were the best. The chille rellenos were the best I have ever eaten. I would travel back there for this dish alone. Both of these restaurants were reasonably priced and had a great authentic Mexican atmosphere. We really enjoyed being there. La Piazzetta, an Italian restaurant was also very good. They prepared your caesar salad and the crepe suzettes at your table. It was very relaxing, great food and fun.

Since there were five of us we opted to ride the bus since a taxi only holds four people. What an adventure, you not only get transported to your destination, many times you were entertained by local musician and riding the bus is very safe. We went from one end of Puerto Vallarta to the other using the bus system. If we weren't sure which bus to board we just asked and people were very friendly and helpful. On our final day my husband and youngest daughter had to take one more bus ride to El Centro to finish buying gifts for friends. (I think they just wanted one more bus ride)

This was our first real vacation where we were not traveling to visit relatives, a wedding or graduation. And I think it was well over due since our oldest daughter is 24. We had a great time on the beach, hanging out at the pool, sightseeing, and all the wonderful food, that was my favorite part. Walking on the Malecon in the evening and seeing the sunset will forever be fixed in my mind. We really appreciated the hospitality of the people and their love for family. They are very kind and generous people. And we thank them for helping make our vacation one to remember.

The only sad part was leaving. Upon our arrival back in Denver on June 4th it was barely 55 degrees and we are still waiting for the warmth of summer to come to Montana. Since our return it has been cold and rainy. But as I sit back in my chair and remember this vacation I smile knowing that soon I will return for another to Puerto Vallarta.

Been to Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!