“Relaxing, rejuvenating, tranquil, elegant experience at Casa Velas!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chapala, Mexico
“Relaxing, rejuvenating, tranquil, elegant experience at Casa Velas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We were moved from Velas Vallarta to CASA VELAS on March 1st for a 5 day stay. The entrance to the resort is like entering a home on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, so unique and manicured with beautiful scrolled ironwork, beautiful flowers and fauna, Koi ponds, and a gorgeous glass entrance with wood carved beam equisetely over the doors. You enter into a lobby with soft elegant hand carved chairs, sofas, more Koi ponds, huge candles and an elegant desk as the check in area. You are greeted with a fresh Jamaica or flavored water, leisurely go thru check in process and the All Inclusive hemp braided bracelets with small silver medallion were placed on our preferred wrists, no plastic here, an attractive decorative jewelry item to say the least and a great momento of our stay! Time permitting and our willingness we were then either taken to our room or on a short tour of facilities showing us the lobby bar, cultural center, Emiliano’s restaurant, the pool area etc. We opted to have the small tour. We are now at our home away from home where the staff are their for our pleasure and service. Off to our room.

We are escorted to our room which is 511A. Oh, I think I may have read something about this room before, it being called infamous, well we shall see. We are on the ground floor, we pass thru the outer door into a foyer with the most delicious aromatherapy scent , hint of citrus, I just love and have to see if I can buy some, ( I mentioned this to management, that hubby just had to have this stuff for our home and well they actually remembered and gave me a whole bottle before leaving), then we are ready to pass into the second door into our suite. We have stayed two other times at Casa Velas and with RCI depending on your trade you get either a hotel unit, a studio or a one bedroom as it is called, or 2 bedroom which could be a special design at the hotel or a combination of rooms. The RCI accomodation site does tend to simplify the room options, where as when at Casa Velas ( as I found out from my 3 stays there now) there are a multitude of room options and many are unique with only a few duplicates so the layout can be quite different with each stay. Room 511A is what would be considered a one bedroom unit thru RCI or a Grand Class Plus Room.

The room we received 511A is lovely, yes a tad on the older side but the décor is elegant, clean and stately. You enter into the living room with a sofa, side tables with lamps, an armoire with draws and hanging space, an iron and ironing board in the armoire. A coffee table with Leading Hotels of the World book, Conde Nast, Spa books, and others etc. The floors are marble with throw rugs here and there. Directly in front is a set of sliders looking out into a private garden space with a terrace with a table and seating for four, all of teak wood, tiled floor, leading to a private plunge pool which is actually warm due to solar heating. Beautiful flowers, shrubs and trees surround this area making it a private outdoor retreat. The only two things which maybe someone might have an issue with in this area was there were a few tiles missing in the plunge pool ( now you know that is not going to affect my use of it LOL) and the Peacocks ( how beautiful) who roam the grounds and on several occasions they actually were at our door or around our pool, what a sweet sight and photo op!

So the living room is to left of entrance so to say, to the back is a small galley area which serves as a kitchenette. It houses some shelves, a sink, a two burner hotplate ( we never used, not necessary with 24 hour room service), a coffee maker with coffee packets and condiments creamer, sugar and substitute, restocked daily. The room also houses an ice bucket. There are no ice machines on site but no problem you can order ice to your room 24 hours per day. Just before the sliding doors there was also a two person dining table in the room with a canoe shaped decoration which was filled with fresh fruit, apples, grapes etc. We also had wonderful chocolate covered strawberries upon our arrival and these can be requested I believe. The entrance door had the cutest little bag on it with needlework, one side “do not disturb” and the other “please clean my room“, what a sweet touch.

To the right of the entrance and up one step is the bedroom area. It is separated by two columns, quite elegant in providing a feeling of separation. The bed has down comforter and pillows and is appointed wonderfully with lines and such. There is a card with a tassle you place on your bed in morning if you wish to have sheets changed completely, if not then do not place the card. The resort is obviously interested in being Green and in saving our resources and planet. The bed we had was a King size, so comfortable, not too hard or soft, just perfect for us. Two end tables with lamps, an alarm clock/cd player, and telephone. An armoire in this room houses a television ( not a plasma), but sufficient size tv with remote and on line movies to order if you fancy. There are channels in English or Spanish and maybe some even in French. Below the TV the armoire houses some shelves with glasses, coasters, a snack basket which has energy bars, chips, napkins etc. A mini bar can be found here as well with bottled water, juices, sodas, and beer. The snacks and refrig. are restocked daily. All this in addition to a room service menu with an ample variety of food and whatever you like to drink 24 hours per day. We found the refrig. stock very handy but rarely ate the snacks as well we just were so full with our meals and snacks and drinks on site but outside our room, that we did not need them. We did use the coffee maker every day though, as most of you know I have said before I need the java before moving LOL. As you face the bed with the built in head board, (like a nook, usually with Bustamante decorations on the wall behind, though room 511A did not have these and it made no difference in our comfort) to the left was another set of sliding glass doors looking out onto our little yard and plunge pool. Both sliders had filtering and darkening shades and the darkening shades really worked great. At the end of our stay one of the curtains was not closing snugly so I was sure to tell them so they can repair as that little slit of sunlight in the morning, letting you know you are in Mexico might be maddening for some, LOL, not a morning person here. Anyway needless to say I slept very well in the bedroom which all went along perfectly with my pampering stay.

To the right was the bathroom, very large in size. Wall to wall mirror over the sink area which had a very large counter space, all made of marble but unfortunately for appearance purposes the marble is cracked but remains smooth. There was only one sink, personally I prefer two, but was okay with one. Next to the toilet, all of which are power flushers so be aware they work well but can be louder than other toilets ( plumbers wife here heheh), is a phone. At first I thought do people really do work or make calls while on vacation and in bathroom? Later it was brought to my attention that it is a safety factor and lo and behold having had my share of accidents at home it is a wonderful idea. There was a large closet area for hanging clothes in this bathroom with a shelf above, plenty of lighting and the only thing really missing was a full length mirror. I told the concierge, Jesus, that I had looked everywhere for one and none to be found and well when dressing up, a full length mirror is a must. The next day a full length mirror had been installed in my bathroom, what a treat. Casa Velas staff really do aim to please, serve and make you happy. You would think I was taking the mirror with me I was so pleased but no it made an impact on my stay and my feelings of knowing they truly cared.

The bathroom was stocked daily or twice daily if you let in the nightitme turn down maid ( many times we did not as we were either resting or getting ready or just preferred not to be disturbed etc.) with soap, shampoo, mouthwash, shower cap, hair conditioner, body lotion, shoe shine, vanity kit and other such items, all of good quality such as Gilchrist and Sommes. The facecloths were tied with cute ribbons each day with the logo of Casa Velas. There was a hairdryer and magnifying mirror on the wall. A huge Jacuzzi surrounded by marble was in this bathroom as well. There were curtains to the entrance of it, like an arch, a shower was also in the Jacuzzi area along with amenities and towels, bathmats etc. The water pressure and temperature were always sufficient, not always the case in Mexico. Towels plush, clean and plentiful. Having been a handicap person for some time I did note that you had to step up and over to get into Jacuzzi and shower, there was a guard rail/handicap rail but this might be difficult for some folks like handicapped, frail, injured or elderly so it is worth noting for future reservations to Casa Velas. The other rooms we have stayed in had walk in showers.

Otherwise the room was just perfect for us and we loved it. The bed was turned down at night and if you had do not disturb sign on the door a note was put on your door they had been there and if you wanted them to return to call front desk. They would restock your towels, clean up, roll down bed, place candies in small burlap bag tied with Casa Velas ribbon on bed, place room service breakfast menu on bed ( more on that later), place glasses and bottled water on each side of bed, fill ice bucket, lay out robes and place slippers on each side of bed. You felt very special upon return to your room. Oh the robes are in the room, one each and are for your use. The slippers are also in room and they are to keep. They of course have the Casa Velas name and insignia, very nice touch.

There is a room service menu in the room and as stated you can order 24 hours per day from soup to nuts to wine. If you choose you can fill out the room service breakfast menu and place outside your door hanging from doorknob before 2am, you specify what you want and what time within a 15 minute timeframe, and it was always timely. Funny the first morning we placed this on our door, the interior door. Well lo and behold in the morning tit was still on door, so rather than calling which you can do we were told by other guests and it comes within a short time, we went to restaurant. I did again, tell Jesus, Chief Concierge, of this issue and that there should be a note to tell guests which door if they are in a room such as ours or 511A. We did utilize this service the other mornings placing it on the Outer door and it was on time and wonderful all delivered to our room, set up as though we were in restaurant. We enjoyed breakfast most mornings on our private terrace. So relaxing!

Another nice touch in the room is a woven beach bag, there for our use while staying with Casa Velas. They can be purchased in the on site boutique. Speaking of a beach bag…Casa Velas is located on a golf course not on the beach but they have a beach club just 3 minutes away by A/C van, free shuttle. The Beach Club has a restaurant which is Japanese fusion inspired. Tables and such are there along with full wait service as well as wait service and food directly to your lounger. An infinity pool overlooks the sand of the beach where more loungers and cabanas are located again with full wait service and of course beyond that the bay of Banderas!! You can spend as little or as much time as you want here with food, drinks, free transportation back and forth, bathrooms, towels,etc. You can also make reservations to have a romantic or awe inspiring dinner right on the beach in the early evening. Due to the cooler weather this trip and also the wonderful room we had this trip we did not utilize the beach club except for one day for a quick drink, but we did speak to other guests who did and they loved it. On another stay we did the romantic dinner here and it was great!

The pool at Casa Velas is heated by solar. It has different levels with built in tile loungers etc. It is a large pool with a swim up Palapa Bar. Surrounding the pool are lounge chairs with terry cloth covers, rolled towels in place and teak tables. There are also many cabanas for those who like shade, as well as many palm trees. When you go to the pool area and find your place, a waiter comes over with a small ice bucket and two bottles of water and asks if you would like something to eat or drink or anything else. You can order drinks or snacks off a menu in the pool area. There are no activities done by the pool like volleyball, as it is very upscale and quiet, with lots of people sunning or reading. Most times there was no music playing by pool either but if it was, it was played very softly. It is a quiet, calm, relaxing, area as is most of the resort all with the philosophy of rejuvenation and relaxation.

If you desire a change of pace or more activity or music etc. you can go over to Club Velas, the sister resort, via free shuttle and utilize their activities like nightly shows, entertainment, pool, and their bars and restaurants, of which there are now 2, one by the ocean “La Ribera“, ( no reservations needed, casual attire, even shorts for guys and sit down menu or buffet or both LOL). The other “Andrea” ( reservations required) indoor or outdoor dining, suggested long pants for men but they did allow men in shorts, dressy ones with nice shirts ( no t-shirts).

The grounds throughout are meticulously manicured. Beautiful bouganvilla, palm trees, shrubs, Koi ponds, etc. are abundant. The whole property is lit very well with soft lighting at night. There is a lobby bar where you can get a drink at night or even a coffee and cake or dessert treat almost every day around 4-5ish. Snacks at the Aqua Pool Bar and drinks all day, and then the restaurant “Emiliano’s”overlooking Koi ponds and the pool and golf course. Lighting at night is soft with candles and lanterns etc. Seating is indoors in tiers or outside. It is quite splendid. They do require you to make reservations each day or I believe you can do in advance on an activity sheet which Stefano will give you upon arrival. He can schedule any tours you may have or a timeshare presentation etc.

The Restaurant has international gourmet with a large variety and even a spa menu addition which lists the calories and benefits of each meal or smoothie etc. The desserts are to die for, options for wine and drinks unlimited with premium international and national brand beverages. The service at this restaurant was wonderful whether for breakfast, a quick lunch, a leisurely lunch or dinner. Though the menu is varied and truly international and gourmet the dining experience at night is Mexican Elegance. Slow and with presentation above and beyond. We enjoyed our meals greatly and tried as much as we could on menu. Much of the food to be raved about, my favorite dish though was between the duck and filet mignon which was melt in your mouth tender. My favorite dessert either Paris Delight, Crème Brulee or Passion Fruit sherbert. Some nights we dined alone and others we dined with friends we had met at Casa Velas. The restaurant was busy every night we were there and some nights though the quality of food and drinks was great, presentation of food above and beyond and an experience for the mind as well as appetite, the service seemed a tad slow even for Mexican Elegance. I did mention this to management and they said they were employing more staff due to the increase in needs. Lo and behold the next day we saw a group of about 30 trainees on tour at the facility.

My only regret at “Emiliano’s” is in not getting all of the staff names but I did get some so I will mention them here. Jesus ( Rest. Manager) always in view and running the show. Bernadino absolutely incredible waiter, efficient and personable. Francisco who does an incredible flambé and also did the cooking presentation for us one day. Krizia the hostess at Emiliano’s in the daytime. She was so sweet, pleasant, personable with a sense of humor to boot once she relaxed a bit. Other waiters I recall were Renee, Yomar, Moses & Cruz. All referred to us by name at each sitting, were pleasant, professioanl and gave 10 percent to attention to detail. Thank you to all of you for such wonderful meals and service…hats off to the cook!!

One night they had a Barbeque Night ( Fridays) and had all types of cuts of meat, corn on cob, fish, chicken etc. all cooked on grill and served to your table. This was fun and different for a change of pace. They had music playing softly for this that night. Another day as mentioned above Francisco and Antonio ( head chef) did a cooking presentation and made out by the pool “Salmon and Almond capers with fried Artichoke and Asparagus“. The presentation by Franciso was great. He was a great teacher, receptive to questions, fun and personable. The food oh my gosh it was so fantastic. I just bought some salmon so I can try this recipe here at home. They gave everyone copies of the recipe. This was a fun activity for sure.

On Tuesday night they had a Management Cocktail Party. What a display. Asian/Japanese inspired hor dourves, drinks, a cigar rolling man available to teach cigar rolling. My hubby actually rolled his own cigar and was able to keep it, what fun. A magic card trick presentation, lots of yummy food, champagne and socializing. All held in the Lobby Bar. We had such fun and met some great folks. There were two waiters in the lobby bar we got to know, one being Benny, a fun loving waiter with a heart of gold. You are never without a drink with Benny around. He is talented as well, gave me a swan and a rose made out of drink stirrers and a lighter, incredible. The other young man, waiter, in the lobby I neglected to write his name down but he was very efficient, maybe a bit stiff at first with us, but did relax a bit as time went on. Of course the stiffness may be warranted for others, but we like to chat and joke a little. Hubby jokes a lot. Anyway thanks to Benny and his cohort ( sorry about the forgetting name).

Jesus ( Rest. Mangaer) one day did a tequila tasting and presentation. Having lived in Jalisco, state of Tequila, we figured might be a little slow or boring but NO, it was wonderful. We learned so much, tasted some great and not so great tequilas all in exquisite taste. We really enjoyed this activity. Oh I did not mention this was done right beside the on site botanical garden. There they have herbs, vegetables, fruits, cactus etc….growing for their picking and freshness in meal preparation. We were given a tour of the gardens and though it is fairly new you can see such potential.

Well we ate, no dined So much that I must mention the gym and spa. Apparently Casa Velas had a fire a short time back in the spa so that is under renovation and due to be opened late April. They have appointed a suite as a temporary spa. For temporary facilities I think they did a great job. Very pampering and relaxing atmosphere. Hubby and I both had back massages, outside under a tent per say. Attention to care was wonderful. Might I add this was my first massage since my illness and I was nervous, but the attendant was great, relaxing me and truly soothing me and my body. Again I forgot to write down my masseuse’ name or hubby’s. The gym due to having been in the damaged spa…is now quite unique. There are a few machines and weights which they have placed outside. Hubby used it almost every day, I should have LOL. He just loved working out in the fresh air and did suggest that when spa is finished that they leave some of the weights and machines outside as he and many guests he spoke to found it very refreshing, a true change from the closed up gym’s back In USA.

There is and I almost forgot to mention this even with all this writing, a cultural center off the lobby where you can relax, watch TV, read a paper, or go on the on site computer. Speaking of computers, I always bring mine and they at present had free internet in some rooms ( yes I had it in mine, whew), and in lobby bar and such about resort. You do need a password they give you. They told me they were in process of getting internet in all the rooms and when they do there will be a small charge for this.

This was just an incredible five days. An experience to be lived hopefully over and over. I know we will definitely be returning and I am already telling friends they have to experience this piece of heaven in Mexico. My mom has already placed her request to accompany me when hubby can’t make it for a vacation LOL. We met so many of the staff, all of them very professional but also friendly and caring and they truly wanted to hear of your experience etc. We met a lot of the management staff and all our praises and issues were listened to, corrected or will be corrected we were told, so I say in our eyes Casa Velas remains Number one in PV and a real good choice for couples, families with adults ( no children this is adults only resort, but the families with kids can stay at Velas), special occasions this is a perfect place to stay for honeymooners, weddings or business conventions ( did I mention they now have a convention center for up to like 260 people or so). I can only imaging being a honeymooner or having a wedding here. Anniversary or birthday this would be a real treat, there was a young lady there while we were, whose husband had given her a stay with him at this hotel for her birthday. Wow!
This resort/hotel would not be good for spring breakers, or young adults looking for an extreme party. It is for the refined, classy or not, who wish for a relaxing, unwinding experience, different from all others. No place is perfect but this hotel sure comes close. Near perfection…or trying to be…I will return, for that matter in writing this I have made myself hungry to return..LOL. I still have on my All Inclusive souvenir bracelet!

Almost forgot to mention I also did meet the on site for Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta Doctor. Dr. Garcia, a very nice, educated man who will see you if the need arises while you are staying at Casa or the sister resort Velas. I spoke to him of my health etc. so if we ever need we are already friendly etc. I feel after our meeting that you would be in good hands under his care.

Thank You Casa Velas and staff for an incredible vacation with just the right touch of relaxation and rejuvenation I needed!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The food was all cooked to order, no buffets, and everything was uniformly excellent. The wines were from everywhere from France to Australia. The liquors were all top shelf. I like a place that allows me to finish an evening with a Hennessey at no extra charge.

Close to the airport in the Marina, even when the temperature hit over 80, there was always a lovely breeze and plenty of shade to stay cool.

Service was friendly and efficient. Nobody under 18 allowed so no need to worry about rowdy teenagers. I ran into many newlyweds and was the only solo traveler I saw all week but I was looking for solitude and quiet with good food. Casa Velas came through with all of that and more.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have at home and share with you during your stay.

It's very kind of you to take a few minutes to share your experience, your comments encourage us to be better every day with our guests.

Antonio was an honor to share the games of golf with you.

Beny sends greetings was a pleasure to serve you in the lobby bar.
The reception staff is waiting again to give you a warm smile.

I hope again to enjoy the tranquility of Casa Velas offers a relaxed atmosphere surrounded by nature, golf courses, gourmet delights and our excellent international liquor bar.

Receive best regards from me and the entire staff of the hotel.

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

As someone who reads the TripAdvisor reviews before booking, I wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews. I assumed that since there were so many positive reviews, that the negative reviews were an aberration. However, there is a disturbing pattern of bad management that unfortunately hit us also.

For a place that otherwise has outstanding service, the reception staff at this hotel is woefully deficient. We booked an exchange for a week through RCI, and had a confirmation for a one-bedroom suite. The RCI page for this resort (which you reach from a link on the Casa Velas website) described that suite identically to a Grand Class suite on the Casa Velas website. Upon arrival, we were assigned a Master Suite Plus, a significant step down lacking the private immersion pool. When we pointed out the discrepancy, the reception staffperson argued that this room is what we were supposed to have. Upon further discussion, she offered to show us the only available Grand Class suite. It turned out to be the infamous room 511A (see review by acadia_mom dated Feb 22, 2010). We were not thrilled by its appearance, but we were considering it until we were told we would have to pay $40 a night more for it (despite the fact that we had been confirmed with this level of room).

We were then passed off to Felix, who was supposedly the reception manager. He said he would call RCI to confirm what we were promised. He then said that the RCI number was answered in Uruguay (!!) and that is was closed for the day. He said he would try again tomorrow, and we stayed in the Master Class suite we were given. We had already wasted a couple hours of our first day trying to get what we were promised.

The following morning we were approached by Stephano. He introduced himself as a concierge, and offered to book restaurant reservations and tours. He also offered to give us a time share presentation. He asked how we liked our room, and we explained the problem with the room not being as promised. He talked briefly to Felix, and said they were trying to reach RCI. We went off to the beach club for the day. We never heard anything further from Felix or Stephano. When Stephano realized we were not interested in his time share presentation or booking tours, he lost interest in us. We decided not to waste any more of our vacation chasing after another room.

I wish I could simply say to check to make sure what room you are supposed to get, but that will not do you any good. We knew what we were supposed to get, but never received it. Though we never got an explanation from the hotel, I believe what happened is that they were overbooked in the Grand Class rooms on the Sunday when we arrived. Since they do not receive the same revenue from an RCI exchange, they decided to stick us in this lesser room and give us the run-around with one lame story after another. They probably hoped they would wear us down and we would go away, and they were right. A vacation is too short to waste time complaining. But we will probably never go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and your travel experiences in this forum. We are concerned to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests and that we weren’t successful in addressing all your needs.

We would like to extend you and apology for the misunderstanding occurred with your room reservation. Your feedback is very important for us and it helps us to locate areas of improvement. Be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and that we will revise our confirmation process and suite or unit descriptions with RCI.

One of Casa Velas uniqueness is our commitment with personalized service. We kindly ask you to feel free to contact me directly or my concierge staff (Jesus or Gabriela) to address and give prompt response to all your needs during your reservation process for your future visits. We assure you that we will take care of all your requests and RCI benefits such as golf tee times, restaurant and spa reservations, round trip transportation to the airport, preferences on your mini bar, accommodations and bed pillows.

We wish once again to extend our gratitude for your feedback and we would like to invite you to come back soon to your home away from home.

Regards,

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

OVERALL: This is a very quiet resort, with nice rooms, mediocre food, good service (though not amazing, as indicated by others), close to the airport and with lots of space for the amount of guests.

CROWD/VIBE: This is a very quiet resort, almost like a library, you feel like you don't want to speak too loudly to not draw attention to yourself. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste. The overall age demographic seems to be a lot of people in their late 50's to early 60's, with a scattering of younger people (I'm 34), and even a group of people into their 70's. As someone in their 30's, you won't be the only ones but you will definitely be in the minority. This being said, there was also no one making a loud, drunk --- of themselves, so you take the good with the bad.

MAIN RESORT POOL: This is probably the best part about the resort. The main resort pool is heated (though not super warm, heated through solar hot water system). There is lots of room around the pool with plenty of comfortable loungers, cabana beds, and tables for hanging out. There is poolside drink and food service. I didn't know about the food service until the last day, and the menu is actually different which would be nice because there isn't much variety at the resort overall (see comments on food). There is a chest of popsicles you can get into whenever as well, and the staff occasionally brings by some kind of snacks (fruit skewers for instance). For those that like to have an option for a domestic beer poolside (includes myself), they do have Bud Light. There is also wifi at the pool, though keep in mind this is the only area basically with wireless coverage, it gets pretty dicey the further away from this area that you get.

ROOMS: This is the second best part of the resort in my opinion. We had the lowest grade room available, but were upgraded to the grand class suite plus (if memory serves). This room had both a jacuzzi and plunge pool, with outside patio. Inside was also a sitting area and alcove. The bed was comfortable, towels and linens were relatively soft. The room had an old school tube TV with satellite service. They do have pay per view service and about a half dozen english channels. Some of my channels didn't work or had no sound, but I figured it was a good reason to watch less TV, so I didn't bother complaining about it. The rooms do not have any type of iPod interface/stereo for playing music, so bring your own stuff if this is important to you. I think a TV and stereo update would be nice for the rooms, but other than that they're pretty nice. I included a bunch of pictures of our room as I thought this was one area that didn't have much info on this website, our room number was 510A.

FOOD: This was for me the most disppointing part of the resort. On other reviews here, people RAVE about the food. We live in a metro area, and go out to eat very often at nice restaurants. I'm not trying to be a snob, but when people say the food is some of the best they've had, i just wonder where they've been. Don't get me wrong, the food is entirely edible, and ranges generally from OK to a little better than that, but some is also bad. It is not great or excellent, just decent, and I really thought the food would be one of the highlights of our experience. In particular, I would pick in the sushi maki rolls and calimari at the Beach Club as being particulary bad, along with the steak, lamb, and mahi mahi sandwich at Emilianos. Desserts lack enough sweetness, lots of the food is too salty, and the quality of ingredients and overall execution is not great. Things that I thought were decent included the club sandwich (ate this 3X), chicken osobuco and red snapper at Emilianos, sweet breads with breakfast were also pretty good. The beach club food is OK, sushi rolls and calimari not withstanding. Food here compared in quality to other high-end AI, but certainly not in a class of it's own, and the lack of variety can lead to getting bored with the same food.

LOCATION/BEACH: Yup, this place is not on the beach. Yes, you do have access to the beach club. Depending on your own preference, I think it is more comfortable to spend the day at the resort based on the amount of space available and relative comfort. The beach at the beach club is certainly nothing special, it's pretty rocky, though you can walk a short distance either direction and the sand continues to the water. At the end of the day, I think the resort not being on the beach was not a big deal. You can also go to Velas Vallarta, which is located on the beach. Airplane noise was not an issue at all, you hear a plane maybe 2-3X per day, not enough to even matter. The proximity to the airport is actually awesome, you get there very quickly once you arrive and the trip back is about 3 minutes!

SPA: We included the all-inclusive spa option for our visit. If you are planning on getting a fair number of treatments it may be a good option to consider ($380pp per day, complete with room). Spa was closed from the fire a while back. I got some intel that the spa will likely not be up and running again for "about 2-3 months", so take that for what it's worth (might not be accurate, but what I was told). They are currently doing the spa services out of suite 601, which is a governer's suite (I think). It is kind of a funky temporary setup for the time being. The quality of the treatments were all top notch, though. I know my wife is a spa snob, and she was very happy with her treatments. She wanted me to pass along that Lupita is the best spa therapist ever! If they actually had a real spa, I think this part of the resort would be getting a strong recommendation from me. As it is, though you give us the amenities of the spa, the core treatments are still great.

SERVICE: Another thing that people rave about in this forum. I found the service to be very good overall, but just consistent with what I expect at nicer resorts. Service was still sometimes a bit on the slow side, but always done with a smile so that is OK. I'd say this part met my expectations but didn't blow me away.

BEACH CLUB: This is a nice option to have, but it is pretty small. The place itself is pretty nice, but the pool isn't heated and I'm a big baby in that regard. Pretty much from the pictures, what you see is what you get.

Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I travel to Mexico yearly and I review the hotels, not the City or Mexico or anything else.

TL;DR ( summary version )
We wish we had stayed at Velas Vallarta because the food,service and people there were better by huge margins. We spent the last half of the trip there all day and only sleeping at Casa Velas because the service was terrible.

Hotel:
The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. The check-in/out process and staff were first rate, absolutely exceptional.
Room:
The room was bigger and better than expected, although 'Jacuzzi' was explicitly mentioned in the reservation, there was no jacuzzi. The shower was very big and luxurious so I didn't mind, but you might mind.
Sleep:
There was a local conference next to our room for 3 days and the traffic to and from during the middle of the night was awful, after I realized I could not sleep, I went to the front desk at 2am and they gave me another room for the night. The next day the conference was gone, so they handled the problem well, although there would not have been a problem if the room doors adequately blocked sound and sealed properly. If you are a light sleeper, you may have similar problems.

The service:
We left this hotel every day for Velas Vallarta because the service at Casa Velas was terrible. (exceptions: the front door guys were awesome, Antonio, Eduardo and Felix.) The pool bar could not get food out in less than 45 minutes and drinks were hard to come by. I tried tipping big when ordering and tipping again after the first drink and I basically had to chase people down to get anything, as did most of the other guests, several of which left after giving up on getting service. The restaurant Emiliano was very very slow as well, and I left a separate review for them. (The service at Velas Vallarta down the street (part of the same resort) was exceptionally good, absolutely amazingly fast and friendly with extra touches everywhere, so I'm not being picky or impatient)

Other guests: (I wish someone had told me this)
If you're ok with your resort looking like a retirement community then you will fit right in. We're in our 30s, and I'm not talking about 40s or 50s here. I'm talking at the youngest, people were in their 60s. Mostly older than that though. And most guests here speak no Spanish (and refuse to) and the staff assumes that you want to speak English for everything. Maybe that's what some people want :)

Food:
Casa Velas has one restaurant and room service. Room service was very good and we enjoyed most meals very much. Breakfast at Emiliano's was also great every time. Dinner and lunch were very, very slow. It seemed that they were never prepared for the number of people present. Dinner was the worst, with poorly seasoned dishes that were either super-salty or bland. The other two restaurants at Velas Vallarta, Andrea and Ribera, were the complete opposite, excellent food, amazing service, great wine, over the top special attention to detail and staff that would speak English or Spanish or whatever you wanted.

FYI:
The gym and the spa are CLOSED for renovation. This info was not listed anywhere and we were surprised to find they had put some equipment outside next to the gym and moved the 'spa' to one of the rooms. The spa is absolutely tiny, crowded and inadequate, regardless of how great the regular spa is, whenever it opens, which is also unknown.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Guest:

I send you a cordial greeting on behalf of the entire Casa Velas team.

Please allow me to express that guest satisfaction is very important to us; our goal is to provide an atmosphere that is full of comfort and tranquility to people who seek a completely relaxing vacation experience. It is for this reason that our property has the attribute of being only for adults.

One of the great advantages of Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta is that you are able to enjoy the facilities of either resort during your vacation- just as you mentioned- it does not matter where you are staying.

Casa Velas is known as a peaceful oasis that combines service and hospitality recognized by Condé Nast and AAA with the pleasures of an intimate ambience. It creates the ideal romantic climate that invites you to enjoy the comforting sounds of nature as you relax in our private pool or dip into the pool and Jacuzzi at our Ocean Club. Restful nights can be enjoyed within our comfortable suites that feature original art and incomparable details.

If you would like to enjoy a day with the family on the beach, Velas Vallarta is the ideal option. It provides a lively atmosphere with music and various activities. Your palate will be delighted during visits to its different restaurants.

If, for your next visit, you decide to stay at Velas Vallarta, please do not hesitate to come to Casa Velas for a wonderful breakfast and enjoy the service, attention and tranquility that characterize us and make us unique.

At the Casa Velas Ocean Club, we await you to prepare delicious beverages accompanied by a freshly made ceviche; during the afternoon you will be able to participate in interesting activities such as wine and tequila tastings and culinary demonstrations.

For the evening, we recommend an amazing romantic dinner by the seashore, with a menu of gourmet international quality, and attentive personal service by our Executive Chef as he prepares you an exquisite Mayan coffee.

Noé from Suite Service will be ready to offer you excellent service in your suite, just as you deserve for honoring us with your presence.

At Casa Velas we are very concerned with details, and we invite you to choose from our excellent pillow menu and one of the massages or special treatments in our Spa, which we assure you will soon be completely remodeled and ready for use.

We truly appreciate the observations that you shared with us; comments such as yours encourage us to improve on a daily basis. We will be working diligently and in the mean time would like to invite you to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to meet your expectations.

It is important to us that you know that we await you with open arms, here at your home away from home, Casa Velas. We would love for you to enjoy the All Inclusive experience like never before, in a place where simple pleasures become part of what you most wish for.

Warmest Regards
Director General
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME “
PS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Whenever we get a chance to get away to Puerto Vallarta, the only place we stay any more is Casa Velas, we have stayed at many other resorts in PV, but Casa Velas takes such good care of us we can’t even think of staying somewhere else. Casa Velas has it all it has a very romantic atmosphere, wonderful charm, and most of all it’s the wonderful employee's that make Casa Velas a great place to go. The Manager Pierre Bonin really goes out of his way to make us feel welcome. Everything just keeps getting better and we have to give him the credit, every time we return to the hotel, it’s just better. I wrote a review earlier that was titled "If it gets any better than this I’ll be scared, well, I’m scared. Like i said things just get better and better, and we visit 4 or five times a year. They have a way of making you feel like family when your there, (nice family) I just love it there i want to go back now, and i was just there 2 weeks ago in Feb. So you want to know about the food, don’t get me started it is wonderful, The room service is Excellent, the way they arrange the food on the plate is picture perfect, and i always take photos, oh and don’t forget to try the Green juice in the morning, its pineapple juice, orange juice, spinach, celery, parsley, i make it at home now in the mornings, you will feel great after having this juice, i have 2 while I’m there each morning. Like i said the food gets better every time that we are there, they just hired a food manager to oversee everything, and let me tell you he is on top of it all, great choice Casa Velas.
The Rooms: We have been in almost all the rooms even the Presidential suite, any room that you get ( our favorite besides the Presidential suite , is The 2 story 2 bathroom places, but the Governor’s suite is great also. The beds are extremely comfortable, whatever room they give us, I know I will love it, and will be getting a great night sleep. The room has complementary snacks and refrigerator with complementary sodas juice and beer, which is restocked daily; they really know how to go out of their way to make you feel at home. There is always beautiful flowers or wine and or champagne, chocolate strawberries, always something nice waiting for us when we return.
Airport Pick up: The hotel will set it up for you to pick you up at the Airport, which is a very nice perk, i don’t know if it always happens, but they do have that service. Love it. The hotel itself is not on the beach but it is very close, they do have a beach club with free shuttle service that is on the beach with the same nice people that work there also, if you love sushi, that’s the place to go. We take turns lying at the pool at the hotel in the morning then go over to the beach club for to hang out; we don’t want to miss out on all the hotel has to offer. So the bottom line is, if you like to be spoiled, pampered, treated like a rock star, eat great meals, breakfast lunch and dinner, they have it all. I actually start craving to go there, once i start to think about Casa Velas. Well i guess I’ve gone on long enough, Thank you Casa Velas for all that you do to make every stay the Best stay, which stay at Casa Velas is the best, The Next one! Thanks to all our family there, Benny, Freddie, Hector, Oscar, Jesus, Moses, Bernardino, and All the wonderful Employees, We love you all, can’t wait to see you again, and hope to see you in April.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

If your going to Mexico for a relaxing trip, to get away, to be pampered and taken care of... Casa Velas is the place to go. The number 1 thing is the staff, they are all over you (in a good way) making sure you have what you need while somehow not intruding on your vacation. The pool is lovely and the grounds are very well decorated. The rooms are perfect for 2 and well appointed is a classic Mexican meets modern style with art and decor from the surrounding area. Not to mention it is cleaned with a fine tooth comb every day. To sum it up Casa Velas gave my girlfriend and I exactly what we wanted, when we wanted it and with a smile on every face. Not to mention the true test of hotel management was passed by one of the managers, Jesus. Long story one of the bus boys at the pool damaged something of mine and Jesus made it right by me. I would go back any time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your words in your commentary.

It is very important for us to know that we have met and exceeded your expectations so that you had the unforgettable vacation that you had expected.

For Jesus and all of the Casa Velas staff it was a pleasure to offer our services during those romantic moments, filling them with magic, laughter and beauty.

We will be here once again to help you celebrate your anniversary, birthday or any occasion that you wish to enjoy in this paradise surrounded by nature and beautiful scenery.
Relax in one of our suites with Jacuzzi during one of those more intimate moments, have breakfast on the terrace enjoying the morning sun and the view of the beautiful golf course.

In the afternoon, take the shuttle to enjoy the Beach Club and at nighttime spend the evening in Emiliano.

See you soon.

Director General
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME “

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!