“Nice for all inclusive but quite a bit of room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

Save Saved
You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“Nice for all inclusive but quite a bit of room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We’re not big fans of all inclusive but based on the great reviews of Casa Velas we thought we would give it a try for my significant others birthday weekend.

Somehow the original online reservation got duplicated, fortunately I checked ahead so we didn’t end up with 2 rooms and extra no show charges on arrival, Karen was helpful in straightening things out.

From prior Mexican resort experiences we made quite clear our desires and had very good and prompt feedback from the concierge (Denisse).

VIP transfer from airport to resort worked fine but was really a waste, a regular taxi would have been just as good and not so expensive.

Check in was fine although we were very disappointed with Alaska Airlines as 1 of our bags was delayed so all a bit of a blur.

Room 202 was noisy from music outside but otherwise quite nice although fridge didn’t work, spent next while on phone trying to get bag returned with no success so needed quiet and relaxing.

Flowers arranged months in advance not available day before so had to substitute but the lily’s were very nice.

Asked about an alternative room and Vanessa was very helpful and showed us 509A which was quieter so agreed to upgrade fee and bellman moved everything over, concierge advised of a store so we went shopping for clothes for and toiletries for the next day.

509A turned out to be a dark dungeon, nice size and layout but musty / moldy smell, felt was having an asthma attack and hardly slept all night.The shower was very odd with sloping side where you get in and out, easy to slip on and basically dangerous, it also smelled almost of sewerage. Room was basically run down and in need of renovation, other rooms and newer windows so looks as though they had been updated. Requested extra fridge with water which was delivered but didn’t cool. WIFI not working, no / very little signal.

Next day looking for an alternative 305 was supposed to be available after maintenance but status was unclear as was what work was being done (didn’t want to move to a room smelling of fresh paint), other alternatives had 2 beds that we didn’t want, Vanessa was again very helpful. Finally moved to 401 bit small but great location. Fridge again didn’t work but was fixed plus an extra one full of water which was great. Bathroom door unless closed solid opened all way by itself. Not much storage space or room to open suitcases, closet had little room to hang clothes.
Lotion poor quality, robes were tiny, not sure whether they were for kids.

Housekeeping had some issues, very late on Saturday, did not replenish Q tips, no shower soap, requested several times, tried to ask but she didn’t understand English so had housekeeping call us back to find out what we wanted, nice initiative but not great service.

Spa reservation made months in advance not in system but easily made new reservations, concerning on many levels. Went to buy lotion in evening but nobody had the key so went back next day and no good lotions worth buying. Massage was however very good although some patrons didn’t understand the meaning of tranquility and the staff said nothing.

Restaurants
No real lemons even though requested in advance, did get on second day and was nice with beer, tea and fish
Skimmed milk requested in advance and had sometimes, other times given semi skimmed or something else
Nice flexibility in cooking things not on the menu
First night dinner at Emiliano had great appetizers and main course were perfectly cooked but poor quality meat plus pork was over salted. Asked concierge as to whether same meat would be at the steak night at Velas Vallarta and he confirmed it so we skipped that.
Slow and inconsistent service even for late breakfast, 1 day we asked for 1 small orange juice that never arrived, next day again asked for 1 small orange juice and got 2 large ones. Last morning was by far the best with no complaints other than the smoker.
Room service quite good but they had difficulty understanding my accent
Lunch was good each day at the pool, slow but flexible, menu not good and mainly unhealthy food, fresh and tasty special order food worked out well though

Pool nice with decent service bringing around water etc.

Seemed odd there ash trays in rooms when they’re supposed to be non-smoking, not that any of the rooms smelt smoky. Very disappointed to find people smoking at the pool and in common out door areas, even in the outdoor seating at Emiliano restaurant at breakfast the last day.

Adults only includes 15 year olds!! To be fair the youngsters we rarely saw and they were well behaved and not an issue.

Bit loud and some unsavory characters especially later in the day after lots of drinks by the pool.

Lovely hotel and grounds and in general very well maintained, nice lobby.

Concierge (Rangel) especially helpful with restaurants, shopping and chasing our missing luggage, bell boys and front desk were all incredibly helpful and nice also.

Beds very comfortable, nice towels

Tennis was good but weren’t aware it was at Velas Vallarta however shuttle worked well and we walked back as so close

Vanessa was a great help trying to get a room to make us happy even with very limited inventory, went beyond her to help us and we’re very happy because of her.

Bit surprised no Corona or pacifico beers. Wine list was disappointed so very glad we brought some of our own.

Andrea restaurant, after trying Emilianos and then restaurant in town we decided to go to Andrea for Italian night. Very surprised that there was buffet appetizers/salad and with not much choice
Menu nothing like what we were shown, quite poor choices, fortunately they agree to make something a bit different for us. Very poor wine list so pleased we brought our own. Food and service were OK, nothing special, had to keep asking for water. No dress code (enforced) with folks in shorts and flip flops, we were way over dressed.

At checkout we were a little late so had little time and found a bunch of internet charges (that we were told that despite their odd system requiring accepting charges would not be on the bill), as a car was waiting didn’t have time to escalate at time so sent in via their web page and no response however seems to have been credited back per our credit card.

Potential
Casa Velas has amazing potential with fantastic location, great grounds and rooms and excellent staff. But it’s missing in basic management and coordination to make it a 5 star resort which is a shame, maybe this is normal for all inclusive to focus on quantity versus quality but we didn’t expect nor appreciate that approach. Done correctly this place could be amazing, just needs the right management and a bit more investment and in our opinion getting out of all inclusive package, and if asking a total non smoking policy would be ideal.

Would we come back?
Probably not, Cabo is closer and PV isn’t as nice, not big fans of all inclusive and the smoking plus limited options for good food all negatives even though the resort and staff were very nice.

882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I wish I could give a score of 4.5.
We were very disappointed on arrival find that our Master Suite had no balcony and the main window was opaque so the room felt very claustrophobic. I was amazed to learn that rooms without balcony could exist at this level of hotel, and we were told that the balconies in the Master Suites+ (the next level of upgrade) were small and not really usable for sitting out. As we were booked for nearly 2 weeks, and outside private space is important to us, we paid to upgrade 2 levels to a Grand Class Suite on the 1st floor with balcony and plunge pool overlooking the golf course.
Other than this we were delighted with our stay here, and will offer a few small pieces of developmental feedback for the hotel here:
• When the hotel is busy, have some kind of reception system at the pool to establish and enforce rules about reserving sun beds. We were here during Spring Break when it was busy, and we would arrive at the pool late morning to find lots of sunbeds empty and reserved with bags etc.; we were told by other guests that these beds were often unused for the entire morning.
• Consider installing a pool shower.
• Please serve more vegetables with the meals! We do try for our ‘5 a day’ and it was a struggle here apart from fruit and salad.
• Maybe add an extra non-fish/non-seafood dish to the menus, especially on the starters list.
OK now the positives:
• All of the staff are excellent, it’s unfair to name individuals – they’re all great.
• The pool is big, clean and well-maintained. Pool bar and service are very good, as are the lunches served round the pool
• Other than the vegetable issue, the food in both the restaurants and room service is good quality and beautifully presented. Good quality branded drinks, and wine by the glass or bottle can be had on the AI package, decent wines too.
• Our suite was super, housekeeping went the extra mile and not only provided (unasked) an additional hanging rail but also re-hung all my dresses on it. Turndown service was useful and included filling the ice bucket.
• Excellent hydrotherapy facilities at the spa which we used when we had a (very good) massage.
• Book through the travel agent in the hotel for trips – they use Vallarta Adventures which is a well-established and well-organised local company, prices are reasonable too. I would particularly recommend the Luxury Sailing day.
• There is a small collection of designer handbags available to borrow from the concierge for use in the evenings; I made good use of this facility!
• Clean-robes in the room daily, slippers, beach bags and pool-towels provided.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony you may want to upgrade
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I normally stay away from all inclusive resorts unless they come highly recommended, so after a few people I knew vouched for Casa Velas and I found a nice discount on an Online Travel Agency I decided to go for it. The recommendations did not disappoint. Casa Velas does not seem to cut any corners, as other all inclusive resorts do. Food and Beverages are 5-Star, the hotel facilites are beautifully maintained and the beach club is kept pretty exclusive. Staff members are very serviceable. Probably because they're incentivized by the Tips which they expect on most vouchers you sign (I left between 10%% to 20% depending on the quality). In general, we had a very pleasant and relaxing vacation. As far as improvements go, I guess the kitchen could be a bit faster and the Hotel could offer rides to the nearby places. For example, we were denied a ride to Church on Sunday, which is about a 3 minute drive or to the airport which is less than 10 Minutes away.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Golf Course and if the hotel seems full, make sure you get to the beac...
Cupertino, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I just got back from 5 days at Casa Velas. We have been to resorts all over Mexico, in Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cabo and now Puerto Vallarta. We stayed in a Grand Class suite from April 19-24th. We wanted to give this review a 4 star but just couldn't due to: small outdated bathrooms, inconsistent service, inconsistent food and they allow smoking.

1. RESORT AMBIANCE: The resort is beautiful. The main pool is one of the best we have seen, design-wise. It had lots of relaxing, bed-like areas where we could lie back in the water and relax. The swim-up bar was great.
2. SWIM-UP BAR: The bartender at the swim-up bar was really nice and great at keeping all the drink orders organized. They did not have premium liquor though. I am pregnant, so it did not matter for me since I can't drink, but my husband wanted either Belvedere or Grey Goose vodka and they did not have either. They had cheap vodka. But they did have good tequila, so stick with tequila drinks.
3. ROOMS: We were two room class upgrades and I was still disappointed, mainly with the bathroom. The good: The room itself was large enough and comfortable. The bed was comfortable. The air-conditioning worked really well. The Bad: But the bathroom only had one sink and was very small. There was just a shower, probably because we had a private plunge pool on our balcony. But the small bathroom had very old and dirty tile. The light was awful. It would not take much to put in a decent, elegant light. There was also no closet. There was some tiny open area in the bathroom where I could hang a few dresses but they were jammed up against the safe. My husband and I could not get 75% of our clothes out of our suitcases, which was really annoying. Normally we take longer trips and really need to get our clothes out of the suitcase. We could handle it for this shorter trip, but it was still annoying. We had to leave our shoes overflowing in the main room just sitting out. There was space in the main room to build a closet beside the TV and would not be hard.
4. FOOD: The food was inconsistent. First, to be clear, the breakfast was fantastic. It was really good, cooked, well, fresh and really well done. Our problems arose with lunch and dinner. The first dinner we had at Emiliano, the soups were good, but the entrees were literally un-edible. I had Mahi-Mahi and I don't know how someone can mess up fish that bad. It was so hard, it was like a rock and it was completely dry with some crusty dry stuff on top of the filet. The restaurant was notorious for providing nothing with the entree but a hunk of meat. I had a fish filet, that was it. I had nothing to eat with it, no fingerling potatoes or vegetables. I think the fish might have been frozen and microwaved or something. I asked for risotto on the side because I noticed a mention of risotto on the menu with something else. My husband's pork chop was also hard and un-edible. However, the desserts were good.

But on our third day at the resort the lunch and dinner at Emiliano's was really good. The meat was cooked well and there still was not much to accompany the meat, but if you asked for potatoes, they would provide you with mashed potatoes. We spent a day at the beach at the other pool, the Ocean Club. The lunch food there was cooked really well. I had chicken fried rice and my husband had a burger. The service the Ocean Club was also fantastic by the pool. However, we had dinner at the Ocean Club and had the same problem with the food. They had weird pairings with the meat, and they had no vegetarian options. I was raised a vegetarian but have started to eat some chicken and fish because we love to travel and it can be tough to get vegetarian dishes. But it is still nice to have something on the menu for vegetarians. And the dishes need to have other food with them, then just a hunk of meat. Again, I got a chicken dish and it was plain chicken with some basic bbq sauce and a few small deep fried slices of vegetables. This was supposed to be a Thai chicken dish. It was pretty pathetic. My husband and I both went home and ordered room service. I wanted some pasta and they at least had some pasta on the menu. The pasta was pretty good and edible, thank goodness.

Another food problem was with the pool bar at the main pool. One day the drumsticks that my husband ordered were cooked through, but the second day they were un-edible. They were clearly not cooked and he would have gotten very sick if he would have eaten them. He also ordered a crispy chicken taco that he could not eat because there was something wrong with the meat. Our onion rings seemed microwaved, gross.

5. SERVICE: The people were really friendly and clearly wanted to do a good job, but the problem lies with management. They have cut costs and have one person acting in multiple roles throughout the day. The activity desk guy ended up serving us dinner one night. The concierge had to help check people in, shuttle people between the beach and the resort, and he acted as a waiter one night. Of course, this caused service issues. People got confused at dinner that night when the concierge was serving. They forgot that we needed to order dessert, then we ordered and they forgot that we ordered and asked us if we wanted to order dessert. It was just a mess. But then another night, the service at Emiliano's was much better.

We also put out the breakfast order on our door at night so that we could get a light snack early before we exercised at the gym from room service. Then we would have a full breakfast later. But the first morning they only brought one of our meal orders and not two. When we said we ordered two and were missing one, the guy just kept saying, "so everything is ok?" So I just told him to leave. He clearly was not going to bring us more food. So we tried again the next morning and again put out the breakfast sheet on our door. It was picked up from our door, so we know they got our order, but it was NEVER DELIVERED. We waited 25 minutes over the time it was supposed to arrive and it never arrived. This is a huge problem, because at times past in other resorts, we have needed room service before we go out to an early excursion. If we had scheduled an excursion on this particular morning, we would have had no breakfast.

6. SMOKING: Another huge problem is that they allow smoking EVERYWHERE. I have never been at a resort where they allow this. Most resorts are non-smoking, but if they do allow it, it is in a very small area away from the main sections of the resort. In this modern day, smoking should be limited to a small space away from the rest of us. We could not sit out in the lobby area one night because two people were smoking and it ruined the entire sitting area.

Overall, we really liked the ambiance of the resort. If they fixed the issues mentioned above, we would go back. But not until they fixed them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience thru Tripadvisor its always to great help to read all of our guest feedback especially when we have an unsatisfied situation. It’s our compromise and mission to make sure that each and one of our guest truly enjoys and experience the beauty of Casa Velas.

In this case I must say it’s quite alarming especially in the quality of meals and service, we are a four diamond gourmet restaurant and as general manager of Casa Velas this is a very serious matter and you can have the Certainty this will be follow up and fix immediately.

It would have been nice to meet you and had the opportunity to accommodate all your needs during your stay.Unfortunately now you're in your home but I will really like to have the opportunity to have a more formal conversation with you if possible to formally and personally express my most sincere apologies.

Once again thank you very much for all your observations looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Manuel Oviedo
Hotel Casa Velas
moviedocv@velasresorts.com
Brooksville,FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We spent five days of bliss. One of the best vacations we ever had. Rooms were beautiful. You ask the staff for anything, they get it done one way or other, with a smile. Very well-trained staff. The restaurants were excellent, every night serving really gourmet food. If you get tired of the food here they will take you to one of their Velas hotels in the city. This being there top hotel in the city we were able to at another places. They also had excellent food. This was an all inclusive deals and we really enjoyed. Also had extensive, good vine collection too. Adults only hotel, which also helped a lot

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marshalltown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just returned from our 4th trip to Casa Velas and I have to say that this lovely resort never gets old for my husband and I! The hotel staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We truly felt like we were returning to visit dear friends! My husband had been in contact with Rangel, the concierge, prior to our arrival to make special plans for my birthday. All plans went off without a hitch--from the beautiful flowers delivered at breakfast, chilled champagne at lunch and a wonderful birthday cake after dinner at Emilianos. It truly was a birthday to remember! Thank you, Rangel!
The Beach Club is still our favorite place to relax. This year was no exception! Jorge and Reuben did a great job every day while we there. A fresh drink or a delicious lunch was always served quickly and with a smile. The chef that prepares the Beach Club dinners in the evening is exceptional! The food was some of the best we have ever had at Casa Velas.
Breakfast and dinner at Emilianos never disappointed. The staff are so willing to try and accommodate your needs. The menu has changed from last year--a welcome and delicious surprise!
We made the trip one evening to Casa Velas's sister resort-Grand Velas-for dinner at their French restaurant. The food was delicious and worth the trip. However, we were glad to get back to Casa Velas and enjoy a night cap on the terrace where Bennie still serves drinks with a smile and always remembers your drink preference!
We had a great vacation! We can't wait to get back to Puerto Vallarta and our "friends" at Casa Velas--where the service, the food, the drinks and the surroundings never get old!

Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have been here for 2 weeks we stayed at the Grand in the penthouse what a waste we are now staying at the Casa Velas just wonderful by far the better hotel great food great staff great rooms and its quiet just lovely you must stay here the beach club a must wonderful

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!