“Inconsistent food & service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Cupertino, California
“Inconsistent food & service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I just got back from 5 days at Casa Velas. We have been to resorts all over Mexico, in Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cabo and now Puerto Vallarta. We stayed in a Grand Class suite from April 19-24th. We wanted to give this review a 4 star but just couldn't due to: small outdated bathrooms, inconsistent service, inconsistent food and they allow smoking.

1. RESORT AMBIANCE: The resort is beautiful. The main pool is one of the best we have seen, design-wise. It had lots of relaxing, bed-like areas where we could lie back in the water and relax. The swim-up bar was great.
2. SWIM-UP BAR: The bartender at the swim-up bar was really nice and great at keeping all the drink orders organized. They did not have premium liquor though. I am pregnant, so it did not matter for me since I can't drink, but my husband wanted either Belvedere or Grey Goose vodka and they did not have either. They had cheap vodka. But they did have good tequila, so stick with tequila drinks.
3. ROOMS: We were two room class upgrades and I was still disappointed, mainly with the bathroom. The good: The room itself was large enough and comfortable. The bed was comfortable. The air-conditioning worked really well. The Bad: But the bathroom only had one sink and was very small. There was just a shower, probably because we had a private plunge pool on our balcony. But the small bathroom had very old and dirty tile. The light was awful. It would not take much to put in a decent, elegant light. There was also no closet. There was some tiny open area in the bathroom where I could hang a few dresses but they were jammed up against the safe. My husband and I could not get 75% of our clothes out of our suitcases, which was really annoying. Normally we take longer trips and really need to get our clothes out of the suitcase. We could handle it for this shorter trip, but it was still annoying. We had to leave our shoes overflowing in the main room just sitting out. There was space in the main room to build a closet beside the TV and would not be hard.
4. FOOD: The food was inconsistent. First, to be clear, the breakfast was fantastic. It was really good, cooked, well, fresh and really well done. Our problems arose with lunch and dinner. The first dinner we had at Emiliano, the soups were good, but the entrees were literally un-edible. I had Mahi-Mahi and I don't know how someone can mess up fish that bad. It was so hard, it was like a rock and it was completely dry with some crusty dry stuff on top of the filet. The restaurant was notorious for providing nothing with the entree but a hunk of meat. I had a fish filet, that was it. I had nothing to eat with it, no fingerling potatoes or vegetables. I think the fish might have been frozen and microwaved or something. I asked for risotto on the side because I noticed a mention of risotto on the menu with something else. My husband's pork chop was also hard and un-edible. However, the desserts were good.

But on our third day at the resort the lunch and dinner at Emiliano's was really good. The meat was cooked well and there still was not much to accompany the meat, but if you asked for potatoes, they would provide you with mashed potatoes. We spent a day at the beach at the other pool, the Ocean Club. The lunch food there was cooked really well. I had chicken fried rice and my husband had a burger. The service the Ocean Club was also fantastic by the pool. However, we had dinner at the Ocean Club and had the same problem with the food. They had weird pairings with the meat, and they had no vegetarian options. I was raised a vegetarian but have started to eat some chicken and fish because we love to travel and it can be tough to get vegetarian dishes. But it is still nice to have something on the menu for vegetarians. And the dishes need to have other food with them, then just a hunk of meat. Again, I got a chicken dish and it was plain chicken with some basic bbq sauce and a few small deep fried slices of vegetables. This was supposed to be a Thai chicken dish. It was pretty pathetic. My husband and I both went home and ordered room service. I wanted some pasta and they at least had some pasta on the menu. The pasta was pretty good and edible, thank goodness.

Another food problem was with the pool bar at the main pool. One day the drumsticks that my husband ordered were cooked through, but the second day they were un-edible. They were clearly not cooked and he would have gotten very sick if he would have eaten them. He also ordered a crispy chicken taco that he could not eat because there was something wrong with the meat. Our onion rings seemed microwaved, gross.

5. SERVICE: The people were really friendly and clearly wanted to do a good job, but the problem lies with management. They have cut costs and have one person acting in multiple roles throughout the day. The activity desk guy ended up serving us dinner one night. The concierge had to help check people in, shuttle people between the beach and the resort, and he acted as a waiter one night. Of course, this caused service issues. People got confused at dinner that night when the concierge was serving. They forgot that we needed to order dessert, then we ordered and they forgot that we ordered and asked us if we wanted to order dessert. It was just a mess. But then another night, the service at Emiliano's was much better.

We also put out the breakfast order on our door at night so that we could get a light snack early before we exercised at the gym from room service. Then we would have a full breakfast later. But the first morning they only brought one of our meal orders and not two. When we said we ordered two and were missing one, the guy just kept saying, "so everything is ok?" So I just told him to leave. He clearly was not going to bring us more food. So we tried again the next morning and again put out the breakfast sheet on our door. It was picked up from our door, so we know they got our order, but it was NEVER DELIVERED. We waited 25 minutes over the time it was supposed to arrive and it never arrived. This is a huge problem, because at times past in other resorts, we have needed room service before we go out to an early excursion. If we had scheduled an excursion on this particular morning, we would have had no breakfast.

6. SMOKING: Another huge problem is that they allow smoking EVERYWHERE. I have never been at a resort where they allow this. Most resorts are non-smoking, but if they do allow it, it is in a very small area away from the main sections of the resort. In this modern day, smoking should be limited to a small space away from the rest of us. We could not sit out in the lobby area one night because two people were smoking and it ruined the entire sitting area.

Overall, we really liked the ambiance of the resort. If they fixed the issues mentioned above, we would go back. But not until they fixed them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience thru Tripadvisor its always to great help to read all of our guest feedback especially when we have an unsatisfied situation. It’s our compromise and mission to make sure that each and one of our guest truly enjoys and experience the beauty of Casa Velas.

In this case I must say it’s quite alarming especially in the quality of meals and service, we are a four diamond gourmet restaurant and as general manager of Casa Velas this is a very serious matter and you can have the Certainty this will be follow up and fix immediately.

It would have been nice to meet you and had the opportunity to accommodate all your needs during your stay.Unfortunately now you're in your home but I will really like to have the opportunity to have a more formal conversation with you if possible to formally and personally express my most sincere apologies.

Once again thank you very much for all your observations looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Manuel Oviedo
Hotel Casa Velas
moviedocv@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Brooksville,FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We spent five days of bliss. One of the best vacations we ever had. Rooms were beautiful. You ask the staff for anything, they get it done one way or other, with a smile. Very well-trained staff. The restaurants were excellent, every night serving really gourmet food. If you get tired of the food here they will take you to one of their Velas hotels in the city. This being there top hotel in the city we were able to at another places. They also had excellent food. This was an all inclusive deals and we really enjoyed. Also had extensive, good vine collection too. Adults only hotel, which also helped a lot

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marshalltown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just returned from our 4th trip to Casa Velas and I have to say that this lovely resort never gets old for my husband and I! The hotel staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We truly felt like we were returning to visit dear friends! My husband had been in contact with Rangel, the concierge, prior to our arrival to make special plans for my birthday. All plans went off without a hitch--from the beautiful flowers delivered at breakfast, chilled champagne at lunch and a wonderful birthday cake after dinner at Emilianos. It truly was a birthday to remember! Thank you, Rangel!
The Beach Club is still our favorite place to relax. This year was no exception! Jorge and Reuben did a great job every day while we there. A fresh drink or a delicious lunch was always served quickly and with a smile. The chef that prepares the Beach Club dinners in the evening is exceptional! The food was some of the best we have ever had at Casa Velas.
Breakfast and dinner at Emilianos never disappointed. The staff are so willing to try and accommodate your needs. The menu has changed from last year--a welcome and delicious surprise!
We made the trip one evening to Casa Velas's sister resort-Grand Velas-for dinner at their French restaurant. The food was delicious and worth the trip. However, we were glad to get back to Casa Velas and enjoy a night cap on the terrace where Bennie still serves drinks with a smile and always remembers your drink preference!
We had a great vacation! We can't wait to get back to Puerto Vallarta and our "friends" at Casa Velas--where the service, the food, the drinks and the surroundings never get old!

Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have been here for 2 weeks we stayed at the Grand in the penthouse what a waste we are now staying at the Casa Velas just wonderful by far the better hotel great food great staff great rooms and its quiet just lovely you must stay here the beach club a must wonderful

Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Feb 22-28, 2014 Casa Velas Puerto Vallarta

Best Birthday Ever and a Heavenly stay at Casa Velas as well!

We arrived to Casa Velas on my birthday, and goodness did they make it special. A sign upon arrival wishing me Happy Birthday and then a special room for the night, which has many staff member in it as a surprise along with balloons and a cake. What a special treat for a frequent guest! Obviously arranged by Denise the chief concierge. Always a pleasure to deal with.

Check in and check out went without event with Oscar, Marco, Joel and Jorge as bellboys. Gala was the receptionist who put on our bracelets and our vacation began.

The hostess' at Emiliano restaurant made each visit a pleasure. Always smiling and welcoming thank you to LizBeth, Victoria & Karen.
There was a new menu this time at Emiliano since my last visit and all was good, though desserts could use some sprucing up. I will mention some dishes that we really enjoyed, such as Crab cakes, Watercress Salmon pistachio soup, Osso Bucco, Portabello Mushroom with Shrimp, Chile Relleno with Seafood, ( incredible) , Salmon. We enjoyed the Chef's special dinner one night with special guest Sommelier Danny. Very special night indeed.
We also really enjoyed Latin night in lobby with Latin dancers. I even danced the Salsa, mind you I have no clue how to dance and had on high heels but a good dance partner makes huge difference. This was a thrill I shall never forget.
I shall try to thank all the special waiters hope I do not forget anyone such as Ecker the restuarant manager, Rene, Rogelio,Miguel, Leonel, Manuel, Bernadino, Gelberto and Miguel. The service was improved from other visits and drinks came much more timely. Ah yes let us not forget Benny who livens up the lobby bar for sure with awesome service and fun. We did have an incredible cheesecake one night for dessert which was not on menu. Yum! We had some really great differnt drinks how about an Orgasm Martini? Or Mexican flaming coffee, we had that a few times, what a skill. Or a coconut martini?
My only concern with Emiliano , which is fine dining at night was the lack of enforcement of a dress code as in the past. I know many men do not like long pants in warm weather but shorts at night in Emiliano just took away from the entire atmosphere and experience. I still will boast Emiliano as being the best restaurant in Puerto Vallarta.

Our room, accommodations, parking, security, room service, mini bar and all of those things was perfect as usual. Maid service was great and turn down service which we usually do not utilize was very nice. I am not going to go into description of room etc. as I have described it before, since we tend to request the village ( villa units), jacuzzi, plunge pool etc. All our breakfast were room service and either in room or on balcony by plunge pool.

Occupancy was very high so that was fun. Lots of folks at swim up bar, and beach club etc. The Beach club was as usual very nice. They also have a new menu, I missed some of the old items but it was good anyway. I really love the beach club as so private as opposed to resort right on beach. A quick free shuttle in A/C van and you are there. Perfect!

They have some new things at Casa Velas such as a handbag bar, where you can borrow a designer evening bag for the night, pretty authentic. Free internet throughout the resort , no limit on devices, a new welcome addition...might I add yippee!! This made hubby really happy as he does work while on vacation. Cocktail making night, Latin Night, Chef's Dinner and Beach Club dinner I believe.

They have increased the concierge team which makes everything so much quicker and easier. Denisse the chief concierge has really stepped up to the plate and her new counterparts Rangel ( so persistent) and Jairo, just complement this team. Everything down to the tiniest detail was taken care of, Plus!

We had friends also staying at same time at Casa Velas and they were just so so impressed with the atmosphere, the grounds, rooms, tranquility, service, pampering and relaxation. We all thought the food was phenomenal, the staff incredible due to their never ending attitude of aiming to please and they do. They are so friendly and pampering but not pretentious.
I myself had the feeling of Being Home as a Queen!

The pool on site was perfect temperature. The service by pool had also increased in number and perfection. We seemed to almost always get Hector but the other guys were just as good. We did encounter a few days where it was almost crowded at pool, so maybe a few more loungers in high season might be in order, but a staff member always made sure everyone had a place.

So what more can I say, after years of returning to Casa Velas and so so many stays they just keep improving. I will continue to return many times over. I have tried so many resorts and none can compare. So I remain a Casa Velas huge fan. You must try it.. at least once!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I been to many all inclusive resorts in Mexico. We love the adults only Casa Velas for many reasons. The spa is outstanding. The pool is quite and you don't have to worry about getting a lounge chair. I despise the resorts where everybody runs down before breakfast to reserve the best chairs. There is non of that nonsense. The food is excellente as well!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Food was awesome. Service was second to none. If you're looking for a relaxing week this is your place. You get full all-inclusive at the beach club and sister hotel which is more up beat if that's what you want for the day. Highly recommend this place to any/everyone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!