“A Truly Enchanting Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

Save Saved
You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
OK
“A Truly Enchanting Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our adventure began when Donald from the front desk staff at Velas Vallarta offered us the chance to move to Casa Velas because he could see we were looking for a quieter romantic getaway than we could expect on Mexican Independence day at Velas Vallarta. He arranged for us and the friends who were arriving the next day to move to Casa Belas.

We took the shuttle and as we passed through the gates and on to the manicured property we could feel the stress melt away.

Ushered to the settee in the lobby we were offered cool drinks and chilled towels that were a welcome respite from the heat of the day.

Denisse checked us in while we relaxed. Her infectious smile and welcoming demeanor were just the first of many smiles and kind gestures from the staff.

Words cannot express how great the staff is at this location. From our first meal with Javier and Bernardino all our needs were satisfied. The lovely hostess Lizbeth is there every night with a smile and a welcome. The food was excellent every night. The only down side was looking at the menu and realizing you only had a limited number of days to dine there.

I must take a moment and specifically mention Manuel and his AMAZING flaming coffee. We were so enthralled when he presented it tableside we forgot to take pictures. We were lucky enough to see it again later in the week and got some great shots.

The beach club is only a short shuttle ride from Casa Velas. Alajandro was always ready to take you there or back. It's amazing how you think, “I guess I'm ready to go," and the shuttle appears often before you ask.

At the beach club Rangel took great care of us, even serving us our drinks in the hot tub as we sat in the rain from Tropical Storm Manuel. Rangel even provided saucers to keep the rain out of our drinks. There are a limited number of people that will bring your drinks poolside in a driving rainstorm but Rangel gave us an experience we will remember forever.

In many ways this property harkens back to a day when you were able to get away from the fast pace of everyday life. With less than two dozen guests during the off season week we were there, we met many of our fellow travelers and enjoyed making some new acquaintances.

-The rooms are great. The shower in our room was larger than my first city apartment.
-The food was top notch, and the bar service was premium. Try a mudslide from the swim up bar in the pool.

But most of all, the service and staff were consistently the best I have ever encountered. We left the week refreshed and planning our next trip to Casa Velas. Leaving for the airport we felt like we were leaving new friends whom we had enjoyed being with for the last week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience in Tripadvisor, the entire
Staff and myself are very thrilled to know you enjoyed the wonderful service and unique atmosphere that only Casa Velas can provide you, In the warm and tranquility of our grounds.
We truly look forward to another enchanting experience.

Best regards,
Manuel Oviedo
Hotel Casa Velas
moviedocv@velasresorts.com

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

First time staying here excellent service everybody is willing to serve and help you with a smile on their face.

The food is beyond any expectation you may have. Its an international menu with great taste and excellent variety.

All the wine and liquor its included and its premium liquor.

Really really reccomend it cant wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2013
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear guest,

Casa velas Welcomes you back at any time, this is your home away from home, we are very happy to know your first visit was excellent and enjoyable hoping to greet you soon in the near future.

Best regards,

SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is the second time at Casa Velas for me.
This time was just as good as the first time.
Everything from the room to the food and the service was just excellent.
The staff is awesome.
Just go there and be pampered!

Dear Guest,

Absolutely delighted to know your second visit was excellent, we are very happy in Casa Velas to know we accomplished our goal making you feel at home and pampered, we look forward to the third greatest vacation.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Despite unpredictable September weather, Casa Velas met and surpassed all of our expectations. Like most other reviewers, we found the staff to be absolutely amazing and the resort immaculate and beautiful. We normally visit the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, most recently staying at the Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya a year and a half ago. I have never been to Puerto Vallarta, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the area. Although I prefer the beach and ocean at the Playa del Carmen area, every other aspect of our stay at Casa Velas was superior in my opinion.

Tripadvisor was a great resource in planning our trip, and Pamela Fuller (Bezerk) graciously took the time to answer my many questions in advance. As many of you already know, she is a frequent guest at the various Velas properties and is even more kind and knowledgeable than I had already surmised from her many reviews and contributions.

I tend to write lengthy reviews, but I will try to be fairly concise and mainly I will attempt to include details and information that may be new to readers.

Denisse, the concierge, was always patient and helpful with our various requests. I really felt that she cared about us and our well-being and went the extra mile to ensure that each and every guest felt valued and welcome at Casa Velas. Many other reviewers have tried to express the feeling of hospitality at this resort but one has to really experience it to entirely understand. Grand Velas in Riviera Maya felt much more impersonal and sterile by comparison – still very beautiful but just a completely different experience.

The Weather:

We knew it was the rainy season, but this was the best time for us to get away due to our schedules. I had expected an occasional rain shower or thunderstorm to roll through and then make way for the sunshine, but it did turn out to be generally overcast with only a few sunbreaks. I was okay with this, and was surprised at the generally positive attitude of most of the other guests. We all just resolved to make the best of things and one afternoon found many (if not most) of us in the lobby playing cards or board games while it rained for hours. We sat at the beach club one day under a canopy and enjoyed watching a storm roll in from the ocean. This weather has its own beauty and we were in awe watching the rough white capped waves.

Golf:

After watching the mostly empty golf course for much of our visit, Denisse was able to arrange a tee time at the Marina Vallarta course for us on our last day. We had golf included in our package rate, but had decided in advance to not take advantage of it since we already golf frequently at home. However, our room looked out on the golf course and it was just too tempting. The cost of renting a cart and golf clubs can be steep even with the package rate, but I would highly recommend it for golfers and will also write a review for the Marina Vallarta golf club. In general we loved the course, and although we fought off ravenous mosquitos and attempted to avoid crocodile habitat hazards (yes, I will post pictures!) the experience turned out to be the highlight of the trip for me.

The Room/suite:

We stayed in a second-floor Grand class suite with plunge pool. It was large and the bed supremely comfortable. The decor was simple but elegant, just like all of the photos, and it included a small living area with couch and table. A step down into the living area along with odd slanted edges on the night stands proved to be a bit tricky for us at times, but otherwise the room was terrific. My husband was able to adjust the AC to arctic levels which made him very happy, and we both loved sitting out on the balcony with our feet in our plunge pool.

Restaurants and food:

Due to the very low occupancy, we were often the only guests in Emiliano’s for dinner which we found disconcerting at first. Later we thought it was actually quite nice and enjoyed the extra attention. The wait staff tried very hard and were usually spot on when recommending the best dishes. Manuel’s flaming coffee is as awesome as others have stated, and he has a special cream sauce he adds that is a recipe of his Grandmother’s (it has ice cream in it). We were allowed to take it back to our room to enjoy while watching the sunset from our balcony.

My husband enjoyed everything he ate and thought the food was surprisingly great for an all-inclusive – I didn’t care for some things, but learned to trust the recommendations of the waiters and in particular found the pasta dish to be very good. The amuse bouche each night was absolutely incredible, along with the special chef’s dinner one night. It was prepared right in front of us, a group of perhaps 20-25 of us, and included a pork chop with a dill cream sauce that was to die for. The pastry chef is a young girl (I think she is 19) who did beautiful work and painstakingly decorated our dessert plates while we all watched – I was so impressed. Denisse sat with all of us and helped to make it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Benny in the lobby bar was just as wonderful and fun as everyone else has already mentioned. He makes the most fantastic margaritas I’ve ever had, and I’ve had some great ones in our Portland, Oregon area. I managed to drink two the first night we were there. He also makes a Paloma drink that Pamela recommended – tequila with squirt I think – which sounds weird but whatever he did to it was great. Pamela warned me to ask for it on the weaker side, or “suave” which would make Benny laugh. I also became quite fond of the mud slides, and the swimming pool bartender would decorate it beautifully - I’ll try to remember to post a picture!

The breakfast was good, and we enjoyed it in the restaurant most mornings. We had room service a couple of times, and one time I caused great confusion by trying to order an English muffin, which I already knew they had from dining in the restaurant. But on the telephone I was passed from one person to another while I tried to explain that it was “round toast”, and finally when our breakfast arrived we had both a basket of toast and a basket of little baked muffins!

The Beach club:

We went every day, and found it to be a bit livelier than the pool onsite at the resort. Both were great, but we really enjoyed loitering in the beach pool with our drinks, chatting with other guests and enjoying the view of the ocean. The ocean itself was murky and rough, likely due to the rainy season. I braved wading in the first day we arrived but after that I spent my time in the pools. I enjoyed the beach vendors, and got some great deals on a blanket and bracelets. The vendors all communicated that times were tough due to the rainy season and fewer tourists.

The gym:

We loved working out in the mornings on the treadmills in this stunningly beautiful exercise room. It has huge glass windows that overlook the grounds, and we were usually the only ones in the room. I usually watch tv or listen to music while working out, and there were neither here but I didn’t mind at all. Again there was great attention to detail with little rolled up towels and miniature spray cleaners for each piece of equipment along with giant bowls of floating flower petals strategically placed to attempt to counteract unpleasant gym room odors. All in all just a very classy and elegant spa/exercise facility.

Velas Vallarta:

We went to a couple of evening entertainment shows there, and loved the Mexican fiesta on Sunday night. The food was plentiful with a ton of selections, and the show host was entertaining. We thought the Mariachi band and dancers were great. The “circus” show we went to one other night was pretty lame and we left half-way through. The Velas Vallarta resort itself was an interesting contrast to Casa Velas – very beautiful landscaping and possibly a better beach, but a far less serene environment and in general for lack of better words, just less classy than Casa Velas. The evening before the Mexican fiesta, the bees were so prevalent by the pool bar and beach that we had to retreat to the lobby. In comparison, I’m not sure we saw even one bee at Casa Velas!

I want to lastly mention our shuttle driver, Gorge, who was infinitely kind and always had a smile when driving us back and forth many times to the beach club or Velas Vallarta. I really hope the Velas management knows what a treasure they have in their employees and I hope that they are valued and respected.

I could go on and on – I personally love reading detailed reviews but realize I’m probably getting carried away. One really has to just experience this place and trust the advice that has been given. In terms of value for the discerning traveler, I believe Casa Velas was more than worth the money we spent for this vacation which is sometimes hard for me to say with past experiences elsewhere. It is more expensive than many other places in the Puerto Vallarta area, but you truly get what you pay for in this case, and I very highly recommend staying here. I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our room was a great location - second floor near lobby overlooking the golf course (18th hole fairw...
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from home, amazing just lovely to read your experience we thank you very much for taking the time to write and describe each moment detail by detail. It’s a pleasure to read this out loud to all the staff, we are honored to know we exceeded your expectations making your vacation a time to always remember in your hearth. Please know that Casa Velas will always be your home away from home and we look forward to another great opportunity on hosting you again in the near future.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door, I could tell something was different. We didn't have to wait in line to get checked in, we were seated on a comfortable couch, offered a cool hand towel and promptly delivered a couple of drinks without even asking. They came over to us and checked us in on the couch!

From there, the service only got better. I think every time we went to eat, there were at least 5-6 different waiters bringing us drinks, appetizers to sample, more drinks, and great quality steaks and seafood! I did not have a single complaint about any of the food - and for me that is unusual!

The grounds of the hotel were kept in amazing shape and the place is beautiful! The suite was large and comfortable. NO problems with the AC which I was nervous about as I like to stay cool when I am in my room. The room service was prompt - and free.

The pool was amazing. AS it is the slow time of the year, there were times when my wife and I were the only ones in it and had the bartenders at the swim up bar all to ourselves.

The beach club was also great and we spent a lot of time over there. It is truly a short minute or two away and we never had to wait for a shuttle. The service and drinks just flowed without even have to request the next. I was in the mood for some Carne Asada street type tacos - as this is Mexico right...but, they didn't have any on the menu. I asked the waiter where I could get some and he said he would check on it, only to bring me a plate of tacos that they made for me! That's the level of service that we got all the time.

You definitely need to go to the special beach dinner night as it was fantastic with steak and lobster and was a really nice affair with tables set down on the beach to watch the incredible sunset.

Benny at the main bar was always good for a lot of laughs and man does he pour some crazy drinks - and lots of them! We have some great video of him doing some crazy mix-up-the-drink dance!

We did go to the other sister property located a short walk away and we quickly realized why we had picked our hotel over that one - there were hundreds of kids there! It looks like a great place if you had your kids with you as they had pool volley ball going on and other activities, but it only took us a short time to long for our hotel and we quickly left!

We did also do a zipline adventure while we were that and it was amazing and the level of service we had was great. I can't recall the name, but it is the one that is closest to downtown PV and overlooks the entire city. We initially thought going to the one and hour and a half away might be more tropical, but this place was all we could ask for. They had us hanging upside down on rides, my wife did the airplane pilot across a 400 meter drop which is stuff you would not normally be aloud to do at other places. And it was reasonable. We actually booked our trip from a vendor who we met at the beach club - yeah there were a few of those, but all you needed to do is give the no thanks sign and they walked away. We were a bit concerned about buying from the vendor, but the price was right - everything went perfect, they picked us up at the hotel and on the return we were actually driven home personally by the owner - I am telling you the service we got was great!

The only bad thing about the entire experience - was leaving! We cannot wait to go again. We usually do cruises for our vacations and stepped outside of the norm to go to Casa Velas as the dates were just not working for us to leave on a cruise. We are so happy we did and we will be back.

I would highly recommend Casa Velas to anyone wanting a nice quiet relaxing vacation. If you go - tell Denise at the front desk we referred you - she is wonderful!

Good luck -

-Marty
Boise Idaho

Room Tip: WE had an in suite Jacuzzi room, but never used it as the pool was not far - the room was great thou...
Dear Guest,

It’s a great pleasure to read your review a thrill to all the staff and myself to know your vacation became a memorable and wonderful unique experience, thank you so much for taking the time to share your delightful moments in trip advisor, we highly appreciate it, and we look forward to another great experience in your home away from home.

E. concierge@hotelcasavelas.com
Washington, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Casa Velas was the best of service, food, and relaxation. My husband and I had the beach club to ourselves due to the rainy season, but plenty of sun for us to enjoy the beach and the pool! The staff was amazing and they felt like family by the end of our week. We enjoyed getting to know them and they knew us by name. Denisse was very helpful with anything you needed, Benny was a comedian and made awesome drinks, Bernadino knew what we liked to eat at each meal, and Cruz, Jorge, Ranguel, Rene, and the many names I have forgotten, but we will not forget their wonderful service!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Your Home away from Home. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience it’s a pleasure to read your wonderful review. We look forward on hosting you again in the near future.

DENISSE GONZALEZ
T:+52 (322) 226 6680 Ext.6650
T:DIR +52 (322) 226 6691
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I travel all over the world as I work in the tourism industry. Every time I'm in Puerto Vallarta I stay in Casa Velas.
Fantastic service, personal, classy, yet not pretentious .
If you want to be away from the crowds, get pampered, eat great and feel at home, stay in Casa Velas

• Stayed August 2013

Muchas Gracias!!
It’s a great compliment to know you have chosen Casa Velas as your Home away from Home year after year. We are honored and very thankful and we look forward to another great experience.

DENISSE GONZALEZ
T:+52 (322) 226 6680 Ext.6650
T:DIR +52 (322) 226 6691

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!