“Classy Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

Save Saved
You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“Classy Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Despite unpredictable September weather, Casa Velas met and surpassed all of our expectations. Like most other reviewers, we found the staff to be absolutely amazing and the resort immaculate and beautiful. We normally visit the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, most recently staying at the Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya a year and a half ago. I have never been to Puerto Vallarta, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the area. Although I prefer the beach and ocean at the Playa del Carmen area, every other aspect of our stay at Casa Velas was superior in my opinion.

Tripadvisor was a great resource in planning our trip, and Pamela Fuller (Bezerk) graciously took the time to answer my many questions in advance. As many of you already know, she is a frequent guest at the various Velas properties and is even more kind and knowledgeable than I had already surmised from her many reviews and contributions.

I tend to write lengthy reviews, but I will try to be fairly concise and mainly I will attempt to include details and information that may be new to readers.

Denisse, the concierge, was always patient and helpful with our various requests. I really felt that she cared about us and our well-being and went the extra mile to ensure that each and every guest felt valued and welcome at Casa Velas. Many other reviewers have tried to express the feeling of hospitality at this resort but one has to really experience it to entirely understand. Grand Velas in Riviera Maya felt much more impersonal and sterile by comparison – still very beautiful but just a completely different experience.

The Weather:

We knew it was the rainy season, but this was the best time for us to get away due to our schedules. I had expected an occasional rain shower or thunderstorm to roll through and then make way for the sunshine, but it did turn out to be generally overcast with only a few sunbreaks. I was okay with this, and was surprised at the generally positive attitude of most of the other guests. We all just resolved to make the best of things and one afternoon found many (if not most) of us in the lobby playing cards or board games while it rained for hours. We sat at the beach club one day under a canopy and enjoyed watching a storm roll in from the ocean. This weather has its own beauty and we were in awe watching the rough white capped waves.

Golf:

After watching the mostly empty golf course for much of our visit, Denisse was able to arrange a tee time at the Marina Vallarta course for us on our last day. We had golf included in our package rate, but had decided in advance to not take advantage of it since we already golf frequently at home. However, our room looked out on the golf course and it was just too tempting. The cost of renting a cart and golf clubs can be steep even with the package rate, but I would highly recommend it for golfers and will also write a review for the Marina Vallarta golf club. In general we loved the course, and although we fought off ravenous mosquitos and attempted to avoid crocodile habitat hazards (yes, I will post pictures!) the experience turned out to be the highlight of the trip for me.

The Room/suite:

We stayed in a second-floor Grand class suite with plunge pool. It was large and the bed supremely comfortable. The decor was simple but elegant, just like all of the photos, and it included a small living area with couch and table. A step down into the living area along with odd slanted edges on the night stands proved to be a bit tricky for us at times, but otherwise the room was terrific. My husband was able to adjust the AC to arctic levels which made him very happy, and we both loved sitting out on the balcony with our feet in our plunge pool.

Restaurants and food:

Due to the very low occupancy, we were often the only guests in Emiliano’s for dinner which we found disconcerting at first. Later we thought it was actually quite nice and enjoyed the extra attention. The wait staff tried very hard and were usually spot on when recommending the best dishes. Manuel’s flaming coffee is as awesome as others have stated, and he has a special cream sauce he adds that is a recipe of his Grandmother’s (it has ice cream in it). We were allowed to take it back to our room to enjoy while watching the sunset from our balcony.

My husband enjoyed everything he ate and thought the food was surprisingly great for an all-inclusive – I didn’t care for some things, but learned to trust the recommendations of the waiters and in particular found the pasta dish to be very good. The amuse bouche each night was absolutely incredible, along with the special chef’s dinner one night. It was prepared right in front of us, a group of perhaps 20-25 of us, and included a pork chop with a dill cream sauce that was to die for. The pastry chef is a young girl (I think she is 19) who did beautiful work and painstakingly decorated our dessert plates while we all watched – I was so impressed. Denisse sat with all of us and helped to make it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Benny in the lobby bar was just as wonderful and fun as everyone else has already mentioned. He makes the most fantastic margaritas I’ve ever had, and I’ve had some great ones in our Portland, Oregon area. I managed to drink two the first night we were there. He also makes a Paloma drink that Pamela recommended – tequila with squirt I think – which sounds weird but whatever he did to it was great. Pamela warned me to ask for it on the weaker side, or “suave” which would make Benny laugh. I also became quite fond of the mud slides, and the swimming pool bartender would decorate it beautifully - I’ll try to remember to post a picture!

The breakfast was good, and we enjoyed it in the restaurant most mornings. We had room service a couple of times, and one time I caused great confusion by trying to order an English muffin, which I already knew they had from dining in the restaurant. But on the telephone I was passed from one person to another while I tried to explain that it was “round toast”, and finally when our breakfast arrived we had both a basket of toast and a basket of little baked muffins!

The Beach club:

We went every day, and found it to be a bit livelier than the pool onsite at the resort. Both were great, but we really enjoyed loitering in the beach pool with our drinks, chatting with other guests and enjoying the view of the ocean. The ocean itself was murky and rough, likely due to the rainy season. I braved wading in the first day we arrived but after that I spent my time in the pools. I enjoyed the beach vendors, and got some great deals on a blanket and bracelets. The vendors all communicated that times were tough due to the rainy season and fewer tourists.

The gym:

We loved working out in the mornings on the treadmills in this stunningly beautiful exercise room. It has huge glass windows that overlook the grounds, and we were usually the only ones in the room. I usually watch tv or listen to music while working out, and there were neither here but I didn’t mind at all. Again there was great attention to detail with little rolled up towels and miniature spray cleaners for each piece of equipment along with giant bowls of floating flower petals strategically placed to attempt to counteract unpleasant gym room odors. All in all just a very classy and elegant spa/exercise facility.

Velas Vallarta:

We went to a couple of evening entertainment shows there, and loved the Mexican fiesta on Sunday night. The food was plentiful with a ton of selections, and the show host was entertaining. We thought the Mariachi band and dancers were great. The “circus” show we went to one other night was pretty lame and we left half-way through. The Velas Vallarta resort itself was an interesting contrast to Casa Velas – very beautiful landscaping and possibly a better beach, but a far less serene environment and in general for lack of better words, just less classy than Casa Velas. The evening before the Mexican fiesta, the bees were so prevalent by the pool bar and beach that we had to retreat to the lobby. In comparison, I’m not sure we saw even one bee at Casa Velas!

I want to lastly mention our shuttle driver, Gorge, who was infinitely kind and always had a smile when driving us back and forth many times to the beach club or Velas Vallarta. I really hope the Velas management knows what a treasure they have in their employees and I hope that they are valued and respected.

I could go on and on – I personally love reading detailed reviews but realize I’m probably getting carried away. One really has to just experience this place and trust the advice that has been given. In terms of value for the discerning traveler, I believe Casa Velas was more than worth the money we spent for this vacation which is sometimes hard for me to say with past experiences elsewhere. It is more expensive than many other places in the Puerto Vallarta area, but you truly get what you pay for in this case, and I very highly recommend staying here. I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our room was a great location - second floor near lobby overlooking the golf course (18th hole fairw...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from home, amazing just lovely to read your experience we thank you very much for taking the time to write and describe each moment detail by detail. It’s a pleasure to read this out loud to all the staff, we are honored to know we exceeded your expectations making your vacation a time to always remember in your hearth. Please know that Casa Velas will always be your home away from home and we look forward to another great opportunity on hosting you again in the near future.

Tel:(322) 226 66 80 ext: 6650

860 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door, I could tell something was different. We didn't have to wait in line to get checked in, we were seated on a comfortable couch, offered a cool hand towel and promptly delivered a couple of drinks without even asking. They came over to us and checked us in on the couch!

From there, the service only got better. I think every time we went to eat, there were at least 5-6 different waiters bringing us drinks, appetizers to sample, more drinks, and great quality steaks and seafood! I did not have a single complaint about any of the food - and for me that is unusual!

The grounds of the hotel were kept in amazing shape and the place is beautiful! The suite was large and comfortable. NO problems with the AC which I was nervous about as I like to stay cool when I am in my room. The room service was prompt - and free.

The pool was amazing. AS it is the slow time of the year, there were times when my wife and I were the only ones in it and had the bartenders at the swim up bar all to ourselves.

The beach club was also great and we spent a lot of time over there. It is truly a short minute or two away and we never had to wait for a shuttle. The service and drinks just flowed without even have to request the next. I was in the mood for some Carne Asada street type tacos - as this is Mexico right...but, they didn't have any on the menu. I asked the waiter where I could get some and he said he would check on it, only to bring me a plate of tacos that they made for me! That's the level of service that we got all the time.

You definitely need to go to the special beach dinner night as it was fantastic with steak and lobster and was a really nice affair with tables set down on the beach to watch the incredible sunset.

Benny at the main bar was always good for a lot of laughs and man does he pour some crazy drinks - and lots of them! We have some great video of him doing some crazy mix-up-the-drink dance!

We did go to the other sister property located a short walk away and we quickly realized why we had picked our hotel over that one - there were hundreds of kids there! It looks like a great place if you had your kids with you as they had pool volley ball going on and other activities, but it only took us a short time to long for our hotel and we quickly left!

We did also do a zipline adventure while we were that and it was amazing and the level of service we had was great. I can't recall the name, but it is the one that is closest to downtown PV and overlooks the entire city. We initially thought going to the one and hour and a half away might be more tropical, but this place was all we could ask for. They had us hanging upside down on rides, my wife did the airplane pilot across a 400 meter drop which is stuff you would not normally be aloud to do at other places. And it was reasonable. We actually booked our trip from a vendor who we met at the beach club - yeah there were a few of those, but all you needed to do is give the no thanks sign and they walked away. We were a bit concerned about buying from the vendor, but the price was right - everything went perfect, they picked us up at the hotel and on the return we were actually driven home personally by the owner - I am telling you the service we got was great!

The only bad thing about the entire experience - was leaving! We cannot wait to go again. We usually do cruises for our vacations and stepped outside of the norm to go to Casa Velas as the dates were just not working for us to leave on a cruise. We are so happy we did and we will be back.

I would highly recommend Casa Velas to anyone wanting a nice quiet relaxing vacation. If you go - tell Denise at the front desk we referred you - she is wonderful!

Good luck -

-Marty
Boise Idaho

Room Tip: WE had an in suite Jacuzzi room, but never used it as the pool was not far - the room was great thou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It’s a great pleasure to read your review a thrill to all the staff and myself to know your vacation became a memorable and wonderful unique experience, thank you so much for taking the time to share your delightful moments in trip advisor, we highly appreciate it, and we look forward to another great experience in your home away from home.

Tel:(322) 226 66 80 ext: 6650
E. concierge@hotelcasavelas.com
Washington, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Casa Velas was the best of service, food, and relaxation. My husband and I had the beach club to ourselves due to the rainy season, but plenty of sun for us to enjoy the beach and the pool! The staff was amazing and they felt like family by the end of our week. We enjoyed getting to know them and they knew us by name. Denisse was very helpful with anything you needed, Benny was a comedian and made awesome drinks, Bernadino knew what we liked to eat at each meal, and Cruz, Jorge, Ranguel, Rene, and the many names I have forgotten, but we will not forget their wonderful service!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Your Home away from Home. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience it’s a pleasure to read your wonderful review. We look forward on hosting you again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I travel all over the world as I work in the tourism industry. Every time I'm in Puerto Vallarta I stay in Casa Velas.
Fantastic service, personal, classy, yet not pretentious .
If you want to be away from the crowds, get pampered, eat great and feel at home, stay in Casa Velas

• Stayed August 2013

Muchas Gracias!!
It’s a great compliment to know you have chosen Casa Velas as your Home away from Home year after year. We are honored and very thankful and we look forward to another great experience.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just finished our first week at Casa Velas Resort and hope it will not be our last. We originally hesitated about this location because it was not on the beach. It turned out to be the best of both worlds. Our "room" was two stories with a terrace and our own backyard and pool on the golf course giving us both privacy and lovely views. It was really more of a villa feel, or personal home. However, we could (and did!) spend our day at the beach in the hotel's beach club. It was great because you have the option of sitting by the pool (away from beach shopping), or right out in the sand. Both had good shade options in case you are muy blanco like us! We also had lunch and a dinner at the beach club and the food was amazing. Coconut shrimp with mango salsa, crab appetizers and an assortment of desserts. Coming and going was on our schedule in a van provided by the hotel and we found it was nice to have a destination to go to and get out of the main resort, but have the insulation and security of still being care taken by the staff. And care take they did - everywhere we went as has been remarked by many other reviewers. We were also a little concerned about there being only one restaurant. However, we found plenty of options between room service for breakfast, snacks and drinks by the pool, and the beach club - all of which we used and enjoyed. But the meals at the main restaurant were truly gourmet. One dish was a medallion of beef topped with mole sauce served along side a single large cheese ravioli topped by lobster - delicious! The all inclusive wine selection was also very satisfactory - with nice choices from Spain and Chile. There really wasn't a single item in our experience about which to complain. Everyone really does make you feel at home and like they sincerely care about your enjoying your stay. In particular the chief concierge Denisse Gonzalez was very helpful, arranging our transportation to and from the airport, contacting us ahead of time about our room preferences and following up during the trip about whether our needs were being met. What a wonderful break from the pressures of life and great location to recharge. Thank you everyone at Casa Velas for our stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review from all the staff here in Casa Velas, we thank you for sharing your lovely experience and comments, we are so thrilled to know we excited your expectations making your vacation once in a lifetime experience, we truly look forward on hosting you again in the near future Casa Velas will always be your home away from home.

Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I travel a lot and have been to places all over Mexico and the Caribbean. We like smaller resorts and specifically for this trip wanted to relax. Casa Velas was truly delightful. Small boutique resort all-inclusive that has a stunning property, nice rooms and great food. We liked that it was close to the airport, so after travel from Chicago, it was nice to get to the hotel quickly. that also means that you hear and see the flights coming and going from the airport - which is a bit of a bummer. Service and bartenders were great!

We are booking another trip to Casa Velas next year, which we rarely do because I like exploring new places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outdoor Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Casa Velas appreciates the time you have taken to provide us your comments and observations, we are very happy to know you had a wonderful vacation, and look forward to another great experience

Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

July 27 - Aug 3, 2013
Casa Velas, As always the Best!

What a treat it was to see the scrolled iron gates of the entrance to Casa Velas after spending a week at Dreams in PV and getting violently ill. I was not quite recovered but hubby was. Check in as usual went smooth and without a glitch. We once again had a Royal Ambassador Suite. Will not go into coverage of the room since I have done that in other reviews. Jorge, the bellboy, unloaded our car and placed our luggage in the room, just the way we like it.

The suite has 2 bathrooms, one with jacuzzi and balcony off it on second level. It is two floors. Master bedroom up , spacious, nice garden views, very tropical feeling. Downstairs a bathroom, large living room, dining table for two, and plenty, plenty of storage space. Outdoor terrace with table and chairs for 4, & plunge pool.

We go often so they remember our likes and desires, an extra TV in downstairs living room. Beer for hubby upon arrival and something non alcoholic for me. Carolina, the head of the front desk and reservations, always handles our arrival and stay with excellence.

We met the new concierge Denisse, a very pleasant young lady with good English skills.
We also had friends staying a few nights while we were there so that was pretty nice to have company from PV right on site.

The grounds remain as beautiful, manicured and tropical as always. Resort is clean and well kept. Pool on site, just perfect with swim up bar. Menu for lunch poolside. Towels are on chairs poolside, no towel game ever. Replaced as needed. No cards. Reservations suggested in restaurant but not mandantory.

We had a busy stay actually, due to a car purchase, we made while in PV, which required much back and forth. Denisse the concierge and all the staff were very helpful to us in handling this big affair. I had actually made a mistake ( yes I did, no kidding) on my reservations and thought we were leaving on a friday, whereas it was supposed to be thursday. I spoke with the director, Mr. Oveido, told him of my dilemma and mistake and how I had told dealership we were there till Friday. In the end it worked out we needed till saturday, so 2 extra nights, and they gave us a great deal for the additional nights. So, so much appreciated. Class act chain of resorts, as shown by their treatment to new and repeat customers.

The first day or two, I remained under the weather, from the food sickness of previous resort, so the waiters in restaurant, made suggestions of lighter fare for the cook to make for me, which was perfect. As usual, they know my needs and take care of them. They even noticed when I was better, noting my coloring. Bernadino especially doting on me.

They have a new menu in Emiliano's Restaurant, ( on site main restaurant) so that was a pleasant change for the most part. The food remains top notch, well prepared and tasty. Drinks as usual great with top notch alcohol and no upcharges. Apparently there are some upcharges for wine, but since we are not wine drinkers we are unfamiliar if that is worth it or not. My favorite appetizer was the crab cakes, and the salmon and pistachio soup was to die for. Presentation of the soup was nothing special but the taste made up for it, one hundred fold. I was a little disappointed with the dessert menu..lots of different sorbets that were really good and a great apple strudel...but nothing that just blew me away. The Creme Brulee, a favorite of hubby's is no longer on menu and Paris Delight my favorite is also gone. Not a biggie, I can do with less calories and sweets but I did mention it as I felt their dessert menu had more flair before. They were very receptive. LizBeth the hostess as usual was wonderful. All of the waiters, it goes without speaking are incredible, Bernadino, Javier, Rangel, Leonel, Miguel, Jorge, Cruz, Carlos, and of course Benny, the infamous bartender. I am sure I am forgetting someone, it is so hard to remember all the names when they are all so fantastic.

In our dealing with car purchase we missed out on some pampering, never made it to the spa, nor the beach club, sadly. Will be sure to do that in Febuary 2014, as we have already booked that and have friends also staying at that time from Oregon. Very exciting.

They have some new offerings though such as massage classes, cooking classes, A Chef's Dinner and a Cocktail Making Night, all included. They also have a new person, very kind and friendly in Stephano's place. So to schedule activities, show you property etc. I do not remember his name much to my chagrin.

Our stay despite being a different vacation type than usual was great. We spent lots of time in daytime at bank, car dealer etc. though, even stopping a few days at McDonalds. A little treat for me as it is an hour away to closest one from my home.

We did enjoy some sun and relaxing by pool a few days. We enjoyed great lunches and dinners at Emilianos. We had room service breakfast almost every day, which was great since we were rushing to get to bank, dealer etc, each morning. Had drinks in lobby bar at night. We as usual , were happy with everything and glad to be in such a wonderful resort, adults only, while doing business.

Finally on Friday we picked up our new car, Mexican plated, yeah. The staff shared in our excitement. We celebrated friday night and on saturday we drove back to Lake Chapala with two cars. Though this was a stressful thing to do on vacation, it was easier and more timely for us than in Guadalajara, and hubby was limited in time. If we had to be at a resort thru this, Casa Velas, adults only, pampering was the place to be. Plus what a surprise for me when hubby did all this. What an anniversary present to each other, and a necessary evil due to a change in Mexican law for American plated cars.

Casa Velas remains for us the best resort, in Puerto Vallarta. The tranquility, pampering, genuine staff, service oriented, best food of any AI we have yet to go to. Adults only on top of it. We will be back in Feb. and I highly recommend Casa Velas for your business trip, a special celebration, girls get together, golfing trip, couples get away, or even a gathering for a special cause like Breast Cancer etc.

The Velas resort chain is top notch, respects new and repeat customers and shows appreciation for return visits. ( You are entitled to also make use of Velas Vallarta on the All Inclusive plan, and we usually go over there to say hi to staff etc..but this trip we just never made it, but you get everything you could want..when at Casa Velas.

As always the Best!

Room Tip: We like the rooms in the village due to more spacious, but matter of preference.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Casa Velas is delighted to read such a beautiful and detail review, it’s truly an honor to know we excited your expectations and that we were able to assist you and help at all times. It’s always a pleasure to help our guest and make them feel at home; Comments like yours inspire us to continue with our mission in making memorable and unique experiences, thank you so much for recommending us to all of your friends and Family. I will promptly share your review with all of our staff and we look forward on welcome you back soon, Casa Velas will always be Your Home Away From Home.

T: +52 (322) 226 6691
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!