My husband and I recently returned from Casa Velas. First of all let me say that the staff remains the shining stars of this resort/hotel. Staff continues to go out of their way to make your stay all that it can be. I only wish I could say the same about the management.
We arrived on a Friday afternoon. Check-in was swift and efficient as always, even though the hotel/resort was fully booked, due to two destination weddings being held at CV that weekend.
My husband I feel that the management was totally unprepared for having a full hotel/resort which led to many disappointments during our stay. To name a few:
• Buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning.
• Guests taking over the main pool sound system and playing loud music that may have appealed to their tastes, but not to others.
• Chair bagging around the main pool. The staff was running around trying to summon up enough chairs/loungers for guests to use.
• Screaming and hollering in the hallways at all hours of the day and night.
• We were told that children would not be allowed at the beach club. One day two children showed up at the beach club with their parents. After questioning the staff, it appeared that because of who the parents were, they were making an exception.
• Because of the weddings, the beach club was closed on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon/evening. As this is my husband and my favorite place to be when staying at Casa Velas, it always is a disappointment when we can not use facilities that we have “paid” to use during our week stay.
• The menu at Emiliano’s has been extremely pared down. If you are staying for more than a week, it would be difficult to not get bored with the dinner offerings.
Even though there were disappointments during this trip, there were also many good things that happened as well. To name a few:
• The Beach Club, with the exception of Friday and Saturday night, was open for dinner every night that we were there. Again, the menu has been extremely pared down, but the staff and sunset/ocean views make up for the lack of food choices. The choices that they do have are delicious and the chef at the Beach Club is simply awesome. The servers, Rangel, Ramon, Juan Carlos, are excellent at what they do and constantly go above and beyond. It is because of staff like these 3 guys, that we are considering our 4th trip to CV.
• We spent most of our days at the Beach Club. Lunch was always delicious and served with a smile. Drinks were strong and plentiful. Again, the beach club staff, Rangel, Jorge, Ramon, and Juan Carlos do a truly exceptional job of keeping the guests happy.
• Our room was spotless. We have requested and received the same room the past 3 years. We highly recommend a room with a Jacuzzi tub on the patio/terrace.
• Benny continues to serve evening drinks on the terrace with a smile on his face at all times! However, his hours have obviously been cut as although resort information states that the terrace bar is open at 4.00pm, Benny did not start on any afternoon until 5.00pm!!
• Cruz and Edgar and were great each morning as they served breakfast at Emiliano’s on the days it was not a buffet.
• Bernadino, Jorge, & Daniel were awesome evening waiters at Emiliano’s. What food we ate there for dinner was delicious—just wish there were more choices as some of my favorite dishes are no longer on the menu. We especially loved the Mexican coffee one night!
• The spa---what a delight! Emma, Veronica and Selma all provided exceptional customer service and wonderfully relaxing treatments.
• The resort, as always, is exceptionally clean. The staff works so hard at keeping CV beautiful.
• Airport transfers to and from the resort were quick and efficient.
There were children staying at the resort, but were fairly unobtrusive. There were adult guests who caused more issues than any child could ever do! However, my husband and I wish that the CV management will change this hotel back to "adults only" as the idea of “adults only” is what drew us to CV in the first place. Hopefully then we will have reason to continue calling Casa Velas our “Home away from Home”.