“Quiet Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

Save Saved
You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Anaheim Hills, California
“Quiet Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

You are greeted by staff upon arrival; we had Jorge. He was very nice. You are served Cold Tea, which was refreshing, and given a cold wash cloth. Check-in seemed to have gone pretty quickly. I will say, I LOVE the smell/scent in the lobby.
Staff that deserves mentioning: Beny, Bernardino, Jorge, & Mauro are some to share.
Our room was nice; it was on the 2nd floor. We had a jacuzzi pool on our deck overlooking the golf course. That was nice. Our room location was quiet-in the 500's wing of the hotel. The bathroom in our room definitely needed some minor cosmetic maintenance otherwise it was a spacious sized room. I loved how manicured all the trees, flowers, and plants were.
I loved the exotic flowers placed throughout the facility in places you wouldn't think they'd put it and add a nice touch!
I think that this hotel should have at least 1 other restaurant. So, there is only one restaurant that serves breakfast lunch and dinner. There is the swim up bar/snack bar as well.
To the left of the Emiliano restaurant is a path that has different exotic plants/flowers. A quick stroll to check it out at least once.
The property overlooks the golf course.
The Spa is extremely small with only 3 treatment rooms. And the steam room/sauna is a 1 person area and you need an appointment to use it. I had a facial and a therapeutic body massage. Both very good!
The gym is connected with the spa and is on the 1st floor. Nice size; very clean.
I think with this time of year it was very quite-almost too quite and were a lot of seniors here; even considering it's Spring Break. (We are in our 30's).
I feel that an area for improvement is timeliness and organizations between waiters and housekeeping. Things just took forever-I know one is on vacation, but, time is important.
Tipping from my husband and I's observation was not the norm, however, we tipped $40-50 pesos for drinks/meals.
I highly recommend trying the guacamole and salsa with each lunch/dinner meals. It is SO worth it!! On the dinner menu, I highly recommend the shrimp w/ beans and pork-- it was Delish! Had this the first dinner here. In general everything we've tasted is good. One area in the restaurant they need major improvements on is their desserts. Horrible except for a corn-cake that is good. Their baked breads, sweet rolls are good though (breakfast).
I recommend Velas Vallarta (sister hotel) while staying in Puerto Vallarta... by checking out their pool and dining. The poolside restaurant is actually good; minus again the desserts I tried almost every single one and are not worth more than 1 bite-ful. They have the BEST salsa with the guacamole --slightly different from Casa Velas. I highly recommend the Chicken Fajita's! Very tasty. Got this twice already!
All in all it's a decent place if you want quite, quaint, boutique-y hotel. People are nice. Weather is nice. No bugs.

Room Tip: Second floor in the 500's wing with the jacuzi in patio.

881 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Firstly we want to say, without reservation, that we love the staff. We love the food. We love the two locations.

We hate the way management is changing the formula that brought us back four times.

Casa Velos is no longer a "boutique" hotel..........children are now welcomed, buffet meals are a regular feature, the beach club is only open when someone"(?) decides that day that it should be open, and drunken destination wedding guests are allowed to take over the pools and party until 2.00am.

A new Marketing/Planning Dept is needed to help Management determine which part of the vacationer market they are aiming for. At the moment they alienanting almost everyone, most certainly regulars who want a return to the peaceful setting that made it so appealing in the first place.

We are really sad that we have to write such a negative review but we blame Management entirely. We can only hope that comments like this will bring about changes.

Room Tip: Do not go if a wedding is scheduled during your stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

We really appreciate the time taken to express your opinion and observations, please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

I deeply regret the inconveniences found during your stay, I would like to comment that in addition to Emiliano restaurant with an international cuisine, our restaurant at the beach club and suite service 24 hrs. All our Casa Velas Guests have access to Velas Vallarta our sister property where you will find two more restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner with menus that changes every night (Italian, Mexican, French, Oriental, Spanish and steak house night) our Casa Velas Hotel Boutique has always been polished to offer a concept of gourmet luxury hospitality by excellence and distinguished location where human warmth and our passion for service to ensure total satisfaction of our guests.

We’ll always be willing to welcome you, and hopefully you give us the opportunity again to have you in a near future at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique and treat you with the excellence that you deserve.

Receive warm greetings from Casa Velas!

ANGEL GARCIA V.
Chief Concierge
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com
Salisbury, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We returned to Casa Velas after a wonderful experience in 2012. We loved the serenity, the lovely staff and the all inclusive gourmet a la carte cuisine.

We were so sad to find that Casa Velas has changed. Drunken shouting in the pool, set breakfast and dinner buffets instead of a la carte, throbbing music, pool volleyball and shouting outside our room at night. We left after 3 nights and have retreated to the St Regis at Punta Mita which is truly wonderful and actually not much more expensive.

Something has changed at Casa Velas. The staff seemed unhappy and they confided that they 'understood why we were leaving early'. The wonderful Beach Club was closed for weddings - and I think they new this was unfair and wrong. It led to terrible over crowding of the main pool - and bed bagging - which we thought would never happen at Casa Velas

I truly hope that management realizes soon that opening up the hotel to huge parties will drive away those of us who value peace and quiet on our holiday. I wrote to the Manager and received no reply though - so I guess Casa Velas is destined for a new clientele.

Dear Guest

In Casa Velas Hotel Boutique we are concerned and very interested about our client’s observations. Of course, it is never pleasant to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests. Be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

Since we are a family friendly resort, I fully understand the change of perspective that now may have from our hotel considering the wonderful experiences in the past lived in this little slice of paradise, Indeed, we had a wedding ceremony at the beach club and it closed 4 hrs earlier that day, please accept my apology for any inconveniences that it might caused to you, our hotel still remain that special cozy place, with the highest quality service, friendliness, and the relentless pursuit of satisfying all the needs of our guests.

You are always cordially invited to visit us again at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique with personalize service, where all our guests are equally important,

Receive a warm greeting and a friendly HOLA from Casa Velas

ANGEL GARCIA V
Chief Concierge
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed there last week for a business conference. The rooms were very nice and the staff were great. Very typical upscale Mexican resort. Manicured lawns, lots of stone and artwork, very clean and welcoming. The staff here really make the difference. They get to know you quickly and go out of their way to ensure your comfort. The restaurant food was top notch.

This resort is not on the beach and probably doesn't need to be. It's literally a 5 minute walk away and they have their own beach club which guests can use. There's also a shuttle which will take you back and forth to the club.

The only downside is that the airport is very close, about a 10 minute drive, which is good but you will hear jet noise during the day. However, the airport groups their flights during certain hours so it's not constant, not late and not early. I didn't even notice the flights after the first day. The rooms were great but the tub and showers could probably use a remodel.

I would recommend this place for couples. There is no partying here and I didn't see any kids.

Room Tip: Buy the all inclusive package. From what I could tell the price was not much more and the quality i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently stayed at Casa Velas for a week. We loved the resort, it was very beautiful. The staff was wonderful. I actually felt a bit teary saying goodbye to the staff when it was time to leave there.
There was a mixup with our room, but I think it was with our travel agent not the resort. They offered us a good deal on an upgrade that we took. Our room was beautiful 2 stories with lots of sitting and eating areas and 2 bathrooms. We mostly used the upstairs portion as the deck and plung pool were really shady and the mosquitoes would come after me if I went outside. I like being really warm so upstairs was the place to be.
The resort is not right next to the ocean, which I thought was ok as there was an easily accessible beach club. I honestly did miss the sound of the ocean while I was sleeping though.
The bed and pillows were very comfortable.
The food was pretty good. I was dissapointed that the menu had changed so much from the one I saw online that had so many options that looked good to me. I'm pretty picky but managed to have a few good meals. The natchos we had were the best I've had anywhere. I also enjoyed the eggs benedict, and the coconut pie which I ate again and again.
We ate one night at the beach club and enjoyed a beautiful sunset. The food was delicous! We also had one lunch at the beach club that we really enjoyed also.
We spent a lot of time taking taxi's to town, then would usually alternate our extra hours with the pool area or the beach club. The bar and food service at both was excellent.
I loved how if we had a camera with us staff would often offer to take our picture together. Now we have a few couples photo memories we wouldn't have had otherwise.
While we enjoyed our trip a lot I probably won't go back unless they become adults only again. There were a few children there at the same time as us. They were well behaved but I did feel their presence. While I love children and have small children at home when we get away as a couple we really want to be adults only.

Room Tip: Room 519's patio area and plunge pool was very shady during the time we were there in February s...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I never write reviews and I have been all over the place in my travels but I felt like I needed to give this resort it's due. My boyfriend and I booked this trip in Nov. of 2012 for February of 2013 for my birthday. We were actually worried about going to a place not directly on the beach and that was so small but wow were we so not dissapointed. The staff here is amazing. The best. Very catering to us and knew our names consistently throughout the vacation. The staff is pretty much the same so it makes it easy getting to know them at the restaurant and bar, pool, etc. Now on the to important stuff - what you want to know.
Rooms - we upgraded our room to the governer suite that looks out onto the main pool. Very nice room with awesome view. We checked out the other rooms even the two floor suites but liked our room the best of all that we saw. No bathtub in that room though, just a shower.
The restuarant Emeilios is delicious. Breakfast is the best. Dont bother going anywhere else for breakfast.
Order the granola parfait and the healthy eggs. This is a must! And the antioxidant juice is yummy. This is what I ordered every day for breakfast.
Dinner is conisently good no matter what - I stuck with the fish and it tends to be better than the meats. So if you like fish stick with the fish. Desserts are sub-par. Ice cream is yummy though.
Do dinner at the beach club one evening and watch the sunset. I think they only do this two nights a week at the resort and we would not have known about it unless someone had mentioned it so make sure you ask the staff when you arrive. It's worth it.
Don't bother going to the resort next door to them. It's overcrowded and we did not like it very much. We did get a massage there but were not impressed with the resort and were told by many others not to waste our time going there to eat. In short, stay at Casa Velas. Originally we were going to stay at Casa Velas for 4 days then go somewhere else on the beach for 4 days. We checked out a couple of other resorts and decided how good we had it at Casa Velas that we decided to stay the entire time. So happy we did. It just felt like home to us. Not too big, not too small, just perfect.
Excursions: make sure you do the Canopy River zip line tour. Awesome!
We also did Rythms of the Night. Boat ride over is a little too long but other than that it was totally worth it. The scenery cannot be beat! Food is very good as well. There is a lady on the beach who does one hour massages for 45 dollars. She is worth every penny. You will run into her at the beach club. We did downtown as well the Romantica district and it was so cool! A lot of fun. Definitely worth seeing. I'd reccommend it as well as the Marina.
Now if you can - you have to set up a dinner reservation at their sister resort in Riviera Maya Grand Velas. The french restaurant named Piaf. It was by far the best food and service. So amazing in fact, that we booked a week at that resort for next February. Yes, already booked. Keep an open mind and you will not be dissapointed at all. Enjoy it!
PS - we did not see but maybe 1 or 2 children our entire trip there. This is not a resort for kids so I am not sure why they added the option. Kids would be bored out of their minds. I would not worry too much about a lot of kids. I dont think they are allowed at the beach club. Safe travels! We fell so much in love with it we are going back. Cheers!

Room Tip: Room overlooking the main pool is the best!
cleveland oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A criitic on T. A. questioned why so many reviews. We just returned and feel compelled to review. The staff try so hard and are so good they alone require a return. The food, the decor and the pool all add to a great 4 days. We came all the way from cold Cleveland and felt it well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!