“A beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chilliwack, Canada
“A beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently stayed at Casa Velas for a week. We loved the resort, it was very beautiful. The staff was wonderful. I actually felt a bit teary saying goodbye to the staff when it was time to leave there.
There was a mixup with our room, but I think it was with our travel agent not the resort. They offered us a good deal on an upgrade that we took. Our room was beautiful 2 stories with lots of sitting and eating areas and 2 bathrooms. We mostly used the upstairs portion as the deck and plung pool were really shady and the mosquitoes would come after me if I went outside. I like being really warm so upstairs was the place to be.
The resort is not right next to the ocean, which I thought was ok as there was an easily accessible beach club. I honestly did miss the sound of the ocean while I was sleeping though.
The bed and pillows were very comfortable.
The food was pretty good. I was dissapointed that the menu had changed so much from the one I saw online that had so many options that looked good to me. I'm pretty picky but managed to have a few good meals. The natchos we had were the best I've had anywhere. I also enjoyed the eggs benedict, and the coconut pie which I ate again and again.
We ate one night at the beach club and enjoyed a beautiful sunset. The food was delicous! We also had one lunch at the beach club that we really enjoyed also.
We spent a lot of time taking taxi's to town, then would usually alternate our extra hours with the pool area or the beach club. The bar and food service at both was excellent.
I loved how if we had a camera with us staff would often offer to take our picture together. Now we have a few couples photo memories we wouldn't have had otherwise.
While we enjoyed our trip a lot I probably won't go back unless they become adults only again. There were a few children there at the same time as us. They were well behaved but I did feel their presence. While I love children and have small children at home when we get away as a couple we really want to be adults only.

Room Tip: Room 519's patio area and plunge pool was very shady during the time we were there in February s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I never write reviews and I have been all over the place in my travels but I felt like I needed to give this resort it's due. My boyfriend and I booked this trip in Nov. of 2012 for February of 2013 for my birthday. We were actually worried about going to a place not directly on the beach and that was so small but wow were we so not dissapointed. The staff here is amazing. The best. Very catering to us and knew our names consistently throughout the vacation. The staff is pretty much the same so it makes it easy getting to know them at the restaurant and bar, pool, etc. Now on the to important stuff - what you want to know.
Rooms - we upgraded our room to the governer suite that looks out onto the main pool. Very nice room with awesome view. We checked out the other rooms even the two floor suites but liked our room the best of all that we saw. No bathtub in that room though, just a shower.
The restuarant Emeilios is delicious. Breakfast is the best. Dont bother going anywhere else for breakfast.
Order the granola parfait and the healthy eggs. This is a must! And the antioxidant juice is yummy. This is what I ordered every day for breakfast.
Dinner is conisently good no matter what - I stuck with the fish and it tends to be better than the meats. So if you like fish stick with the fish. Desserts are sub-par. Ice cream is yummy though.
Do dinner at the beach club one evening and watch the sunset. I think they only do this two nights a week at the resort and we would not have known about it unless someone had mentioned it so make sure you ask the staff when you arrive. It's worth it.
Don't bother going to the resort next door to them. It's overcrowded and we did not like it very much. We did get a massage there but were not impressed with the resort and were told by many others not to waste our time going there to eat. In short, stay at Casa Velas. Originally we were going to stay at Casa Velas for 4 days then go somewhere else on the beach for 4 days. We checked out a couple of other resorts and decided how good we had it at Casa Velas that we decided to stay the entire time. So happy we did. It just felt like home to us. Not too big, not too small, just perfect.
Excursions: make sure you do the Canopy River zip line tour. Awesome!
We also did Rythms of the Night. Boat ride over is a little too long but other than that it was totally worth it. The scenery cannot be beat! Food is very good as well. There is a lady on the beach who does one hour massages for 45 dollars. She is worth every penny. You will run into her at the beach club. We did downtown as well the Romantica district and it was so cool! A lot of fun. Definitely worth seeing. I'd reccommend it as well as the Marina.
Now if you can - you have to set up a dinner reservation at their sister resort in Riviera Maya Grand Velas. The french restaurant named Piaf. It was by far the best food and service. So amazing in fact, that we booked a week at that resort for next February. Yes, already booked. Keep an open mind and you will not be dissapointed at all. Enjoy it!
PS - we did not see but maybe 1 or 2 children our entire trip there. This is not a resort for kids so I am not sure why they added the option. Kids would be bored out of their minds. I would not worry too much about a lot of kids. I dont think they are allowed at the beach club. Safe travels! We fell so much in love with it we are going back. Cheers!

Room Tip: Room overlooking the main pool is the best!
cleveland oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A criitic on T. A. questioned why so many reviews. We just returned and feel compelled to review. The staff try so hard and are so good they alone require a return. The food, the decor and the pool all add to a great 4 days. We came all the way from cold Cleveland and felt it well worth it.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had an excellent three weeks at Casa, and we really felt like we were at home (but without all the work we have at home). The staff is efficient, friendly, and ready to help. By the end of the stay, the staff were friends, not "workers." Whether you like golf or just resting and listening to the ocean as it hits the shore, this place has something for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We are currently staying at Casa Velas (again) and love our time here. We arrived with quite grave concerns that the "Adults Only " policy had been changed for this lovely property. We have met with the manager and understand that due to the concerns of many there is a proposal that children will be welcome only in the summer months. We feel that this would be a good decision and hope that this moves forward!

Angel the concierge has been most helpful, Benny our patio bartender is most delightful, Hector on the pool patio is a great waiter who knows your name and what you prefer.

The beach club has been adult only and remains wonderful - although we would recommend some changes to their menu.

We want to return here, and are hopeful that this "Adult Only" environment will remain.

Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Casa Velas Jan 2-7, 2013

We once again had an incredible experience at Casa Velas. Everything continues to be the best! We were met by Jorge and Christian, the bell boys and the guys who take care of my overabundance of luggage without a blink of an eye. Jorge has really gone above and beyond in always making us happy while in our room, parking our car or checking in or out etc. Carolina, at front desk is such a wonderful person as kind as she is beautiful. She handles our reservations and anything we need without pause, we really look forward to seeing her each visit. On top of that she has an incredible sense of humor.
Our room was as usual nice, plunge pool, incredible mattress on bed, jacuzzi, spacious bathroom...and even a new brand of amenities...so you now get a loofah sponge ,shampoo, conditioner, shower gel but in a different brand, L'Occitane en Provence Verbena, spa quality. ( I like it better than Gilchrist & Sommes) Will share picture. The concierge Angel, is always available for suggestions, concerns, compliments , hahah, and to lend a helping hand. If he can address an issue right away it is done...I needed a few things in my room, they were there in a flash after speaking to him. Carolina and Angel make a great team along with help from the other front desk staff, like Lluvia and oh my sorry I forget names of others, how rude I shall have to make a list my next visit. They deserve to be mentioned. Mr Oviedo, the General Director, is ever present and also very open to suggestions. Friendly and always checking things but in an unobtrusive way.

So, yes, I know you are all waiting to hear about the new children policy and its effects... well thus far for us no effects. There apparently was a baby there while we were but we never saw one, they say the folks went to VV all the time. There were a few 12-15 year olds seen here and there but seemed to disappear as quickly as they came. Plan to revisit in July at school vacations to get an even better feel but thus far all is good. The Ocean Club is to remain adults only though, so that was great news...

Emiliano, my favorite restaurant in PV remains numero uno to us. Service as always wonderful. Food excellent. They no longer had 3 cheese ice cream which saddened me, but they did have a drink of the night and that was fun...usually martinis, tropical, hibiscus, mango, apple and mandarin, cosmopolitan, etc...yummy! They did have dining in and out, we dined in as felt it was a tad chilly outside.. My favorite dessert Paris Delight has changed some so I branched out, I really liked the assortment of sorbets they are now serving and Maracooya (sp) Passion Fruit Sorbet was really good. Something really different was Tequila Sorbet, dessert and a drink in one. A few nights they also had a main meal special...this was a nice touch for those of us who frequent Casa Velas a lot.
The staff seemed the same except the Restaurant manager was new to me, his name is Manuel and he was very personable. My hats off to Bernadino, Renee, Leonel, Miguel, Daniel, Javier, and any of the other waiters I may have inadvertently forgot, along with the hostess, LizBeth. Sure wish I was dining there right now.

Benny remains at the Lobby Bar and as usual is fun, happy, pleasant and efficient, he has our drinks ready as soon as he sees us sit...
The Aqua Bar remains great with Hector and Freddy, both so friendly and efficient. There is a new addition to the Aqua Bar, a sandwich menu....some great choices I personally tried the pastromi sandwich and the crab sandwich, both were wonderful.

We made full use of the gym this visit and it is really pleasant working out with tropical foliage all around you. We had room service breakfast every day either in our room or on our patio by plunge pool. The Healthy Eggs are really good and saves in calories. Juan Carlos delivered our breakfast one morning and we asked how he was and he replied with a smile... excellente! We asked why excellent and he replied cause the sun is shining...I thought that was a great answer and something to ponder. Pampering simplicity at its finest!!!

We made our usual visit over to sister resort Velas Vallarta to say hello and also to firm up our Feb. reservations with family. We went to say hello to our favorite venders and wow what a surprise...A Cactus/ Agave/Zen Garden on the beach...as well as a new Zen garden outside of Andrea Restaurant. Very nice. There was a very small intimate wedding ceremony going on at that time, so we enjoyed watching that right on the beach and it was done up so beautifully. We noted more cabanas on the beach and also the volleyball court had been moved further down the beach a little. We had lunch at Andrea one day and it was as usual very good. I also had two aromatherapy massages, both were very relaxing and just enough to relax and keep me relaxed. Everything at Velas seemed as usual and good so we look forward to our trip with family there in Feb.

We frequently went for walks about the marina area and still find it quiet, clean, and a very nice area to be in, close enough to get downtown via bus or cab quickly, yet far enough to feel unique and special and away from hustle and bustle. We really enjoy the marina area and feel ever so safe in roaming wherever in marina and downtown and such. Puerto Vallarta remains a great, safe tourist destination.

We spent a day at the Beach/Ocean Club...so relaxing and pampering. We used loungers instead of cabana this visit, very comfy. Rangel and Jorge made sure our time spent there was fantastic, and all our needs were met before we even knew we had them...LOL. I really, really like the Ocean Club and find it so much more pampering and upscale than just on the beach at a typical resort or other beach. You have everything there you could want. The food we had was really good and fit our tastes that day, shrimp burrito, which is loaded, stuffed with shrimp. Hubby loves them. I had tempura shrimp tacos, and yes they are the best shrimp tacos I have had in Mexico no doubt. We also tried Cerviche Coco with fish. This too was a really flavorful dish, just the right mix of spices and coconut..yummy. The ocean was a tad rough the day we were there and there were quite a few clouds in the sky but it was pleasant and fine for walking the beach, sunning etc..

Our time at Casa Velas as usual passed much to quickly. We left rejuvenated, relaxed and pampered. Check in went smoothly as did check out.. I of course saved our AI bracelets, nice momentos.
So once again I write the unbelievable, Best of the Best.. my only complaint not long enough and weather could have been a tad warmer. As we drove thru the scrolled iron gates to leave I felt saddened to know it will be 6 months before I stay again....though I will visit in Feb. when we are at Velas Vallarta and show my son and his family around. So in essence another "excelente" vacation spent at Casa Velas, Why? the sun shone, the staff pampered, the food was great, drinks great and well we were home and life was simple. Our home away from home...........( for more specific details of room layouts, grounds, etc refer to my other many reviews, I tried to make this one different) :)

Room Tip: I like the rooms with plunge pools. All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First off I will admit that I am an owner at Casa Velas and have been for the last 4 years. The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds and the service are impecable. We have no complaints of anything related to the hotel or it's staff. Our complaint stems from the fact that they are now allowing children into an Adults Only hotel. The main reason we bought at this property was to get away from the running, jumping, screaming kids that are more than abundant at their sister property Velas Vallarta. They gave no notice of the change except a letter informing the owners
that the change was made. There was not even a contact number to call and question this decision.My concern is that changes are made without contacting owners first. I read reports that there were no children there, but I can assure you that children were present during my stay. Also, the Beach Club was only open 1 night for dinner the week we were there and although they say children are not allowed at the Beach Club during the day, we saw them there. In the past, I have reported that this is a quiet paradise in Puerto Vallarta for a very peaceful retreat. I am afraid that this is about to change now that they are allowing children to go there.
also, I would like to thank Carolina at the Reception Desk and Angel at the Concierge Desk as they were very helpful in taking care of all of our needs. Fredy at the pool bar was wonderful and Benny at the patio bar was very entertaining. Last but not least was Emma at the Spa, thank you for taking good care of both my wife and I.

Room Tip: Room 607 and 608 are large Master Suites away from the noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!