“Best Honeymoon Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Camillus, New York
“Best Honeymoon Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Casa Velas from August 6 - 13 and had the time of our lives! It was low season and we were shocked and pleasantly surprised that the hotel was barely filled at all. There were only a few other couples there which made our stay super relaxing and intimate.

The service was over the top and wonderful. Edgar (waiter at Emiliano), Jose (shuttle bus driver), Rangel (waiter at the beach club), Angel (the concierge) and Estefano (events coordinator) made our vacation very memorable. The staff at Casa Velas has a wonderful sense of humor and the service is unmatched. We were delighted that several members of the staff even helped us improve our Spanish!

We took the bus tour of the city on Tuesday, did zip lining at Canopy River on Thursday and went to Rhythms of the Nights on Friday. We went to the town on our own to shop at the flea markets and the hotel arranged for us to dine at Frida, a Mexican restaurant at the upscale Grand Velas as part of our all-inclusive package. We loved our time at the private beach club, too! An infinity pool and great food (especially the sushi)! Emiliano's food was very excellent, too. We especially loved the breakfasts!

We will miss Pancho and his novias, the three resident peacocks. We would love to come back for an anniversary someday. Bien trabajo, Casa Velas!

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a plunge pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest.

We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff.

Your live experience with us, is the greatest motivation to all of our staff and all of them always are inspiring us to continuing with our mission… always exceed your expectations and put special attention in all the details for your total comfort.

Thank you so much for your comments on our restaurants, they are known for their quality and by its delicious blend of aroma and flavors that create succulent gourmet dishes that will delight your palate with fresh admixtures uprooted from the gorgeous botanic garden, and all of this girded by the beauteous sunset of Banderas Bay with big and filled of tropical foliage mountains and an indefinable hospitality experience.

Thank you again for expressing your opinion and for giving us the opportunity of being your host to celebrate your honeymoon, it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit here at your home away from home.

Receive a warm greeting from Casa Velas.

See you on your anniversary!!

E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Everyone talks about how amazing this place is so I won't reiterate the same thing. It was beautiful. Some things we didn't realize before going:

Airport: Right after customs, you will be going out looking for your scheduled shuttled service people. You will go through a room lined with desks and official people in uniform. They will try to convince you that you need to go through them to get to your shuttle service, that they are from your resort. They are the time share ppl. Just keep moving and don't even make eye contact with them. When you pass through 2 sets of doors, you will then see ppl outside holding the shuttle service company signs, such as expedia. They will have your name on a list and get you on your ride. This was honestly really confusing, even though we knew that timeshare ppl were out of control here.

Restaurant:
There is only 1 restaurant at the main resort grounds, Emilianos. They serve all 3 meals and it is a beautiful 5 start type restaurant. Their menu doesn't change so if you eat all your meals there, you could get tired of the food, but most of their menu items were really delicious, not your typical all-inclusive buffet style food. The beach club also serves delicious asian-flavors for some variety. We generally ate there for lunches and afternoon snacks as we spent most of our days there in front of the beach. You can also eat at the sister resorts: Velas Vallarta and Grand something. We went to Velas and was very disappointed by the food and the chaos but i heard their italian nights are better than asian nights. We happened to go at the asian night so maybe worth a shot if they are serving italian. Grand Velas (?) is another place, supposedly good food, but it's an expensive cab ride away. I think about $40 each way. We didn't venture out there. Also keep in mind that Emilianos asks for pants and shirt for the men for dinners. My hubs didn't have anything remotely dressy so they said it was not a problem. We saw a few couples who were the same way. If you have room to pack some extra clothes, they would prefer it, but no big deal if you forget.

Beach Club
Casa Velas doesn't sit in front of the beach but they provide private rides whenever you want to their "beach club" which is a beach front area with an infinity pool and a small restaurant/bar. This was really the best part of our time there. It was quiet and serene. The food was really great. (Shrimp tacos!) They make you custom drinks to cater to whatever you want. I am prego so they made me virgin mojitos and other fun drinks. Rengal was our fav server there and i would tell him that i wanted something refreshing with lime and he would come up with different ideas for me to try. I loved that! The beaches in PV are not the best, not like hawaii or aruba. the sands look dark and sorta dirty and so does the water. So we didn't go out to the beach but the pool is so close to the beach that we were still able to listen to the waves crashing and even get a massage right there on the beach.

Wifi
There is no free wifi in the bedrooms but they have free wifi at the lobby and at the beach club. For some reason, the wifi password didnt work for us at the lobby so we just jumped on the computer at the business center for free internet whenever we needed to. There is 1 comp with free internet and another right next to it that you have to pay with a credit card. Whenever we went, nobody was occupying the free one so we never had problems.

Spa
The spa at the main grounds of the resort is pretty pricey. However, at the beach club, they come by and offer promotional massage services for half the price. We def took advantage of this. It was great right by the ocean. My prenatal massage of 50 min was about $65.

Weather
In august, it was hot, not gonna lie. but we just went in the pool when we got too hot so it was not a problem. Remember to keep reapplying sun block tho cuz their sun is really strong. We got burned even tho it was cloudy for 2 days. Also, the canopy fabric doesn't block the uv rays so even under there, you wanna make sure you have your sun block on. Almost every day around 4-5pm, it rains. So get your pool/beach time in earlier. That's usually when we went in for a shower and a quick rest before going to dinner. By dinner, no more rain. It really wasn't a problem at all.

Tip
We tried to be good about tips. We read that even tho the all-inclusive includes a service charge of 15%, it doesn't actually go directly to the staff and their salary is about $5/day. I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what google says. So we left tips for most of the services we got, altho we forgot to do that with house keeping and i regret it. Please try to leave at least a dollar tip every day for room services, and more for meals.

Misc
Don't need to bring a beach bag. they supply a really nice one for use during your stay. No need to bring your own beach towels. The beds/pillows here are amazingly comfortable. In case you don't like their pillow, they offer 8 different levels of softness. haha...

This resort really treats all of their guests with a lot of care. Esp when you visit the other resorts, you will notice a stark difference. This is def the place to go if you're looking for a calm, peaceful, restful vacation. My husband and I just went to the pool every day, ate a lot of good food, got massages by the beach and got to sleep in. We met some honeymooners who took a few days for zip lining and water activities but i think each activity can take up almost a whole day because most of them are a couple of hours of drive away.

Dear Guest.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host, want to thank you greatly for taking the time to share your great experience with us at Casa Velas, thank you very much for your high comments on our services and our restaurants, has always been our main purpose to provide a service that exceeds expectations and pamper you as a commitment.

Casa Velas it is the perfect adults-only retreat in the Mexican Pacific Riviera, where luxury and romanticism combine in perfect harmony. Like a private estate, Casa Velas offers Condé Nast and AAA award-winning service in a casually elegant and intimate boutique atmosphere in Puerto Vallarta.

Thank you again for choosing us as your home away from home it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit.

Receive warm greetings from Casa Velas.

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This place is great, my girlfriend and I stayed here last week and we are already thinking of going back next year. Summer is technically the "Down" season in PV but in reality that means you will share this resort with only 3-4 other couples at a time. It makes it feel like you have the whole place to yourself, but there are enough other guests to keep it interesting. The rooms and food were top notch.The staff could not have been better. Angel, Freddie & Jorge (The shuttle driver) were fun to talk with and take care of everything like pros. One day we started off at the pool of the sister resort, and decided we wanted to get a round of golf in. We told the waiter at the beach club, who called Jorge and within 10 mins he got us back to our room to change, loaded our golf clubs and had us on the tee box of the 1rst whole. I was more than impressed by this turnaround with no set tee time. I can be a picky traveler, but this place does not have a flaw.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest

It is so important for us to know our guest’s opinions and realize that we, as a team, are accomplishing our most important mission, which is exceeding our guest’s expectations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences at trip advisor; for us, all our guests are unique and each one of you are the most important one and our intention is to make you feel that way.

Casa Velas, a boutique adults-only hotel and ocean club located on the Marina Vallarta Golf Course where the jungle meets the sea and surrounds this beauteous property with tropical and exotic foliage has earn in overall with Velas Resorts, 26 AAA Diamonds, including the prestigious Five Diamond Award.

I appreciate your comments about myself and I will gladly pass all your beautiful comments to all the staff,

Dear Chris thank you again for choosing us as your home away from home it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit.

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'll start by saying that this was our first upscale all-inclusive, I've stayed at a few in Egypt and Dominican but they weren't this nice. The service was very nice, everyone made it a point to make us feel welcome and comfortable. We went during the low season and we basically had the place to ourselves, I would highly recommend going during this time if you like solitude. We stayed mostly at the pool but did go to the beach club for a few days. CAUTION, THE OCEAN WILL SHRINK YOUR HANDS AND YOU MAY LOSE YOUR WEDDING RING. If you find a ring in the ocean by the beach club that looks like a rosary, please let me know, I will pay you a nice reward.

The breakfast at Emiliano was probably my favorite of all the meals. Because the place is a health spa the portions for all the meals were perfect, not too big so that you can try a few things. For breakfast I highly recommend some kind of juice or smoothy and either the homemade granola or muesli. Also ask for a side of the whole grain bread, it goes great with the jams. For lunch I recommend the sea food soup, caprese salad, and the Puerto Vallarta ceviche with chips and salsa. Top it off with a cubana and you have a great lunch. For evening meal I recommend stopping by Beny's bar and asking for whatever kind of drink you like. I prefer a gin martini before supper and Beny's are great. The all-inclusive liquors include Bombay gin, Tangueray gin, Beefeater gin, Chivas scotch, Johnny Walker red and black, and of course Don Julio tequilas. The all-inclusive wine list includes some nice wines from Argentina, Chile, and Mexico. If you ask Bernadino or Daniel nicely they may even give you a set of the good stemware (Riedel) which really adds to the wine experience. I really didn't have a so-so meal so I can't really suggest anything for dinner. For dessert I liked the sorbets or creme brulee the best.

At the pool Freddy makes all sorts of great drinks, my favorite being either the cubana or mojito. At the beach club I really liked the Sushi and a cubana. Rengal takes care of all of the guest at the beach club and is very detail oriented.

All-in-all we are very satisfied with the decision to visit Casa Velas. We researched for a long time before deciding to stay here. We will definitely be back some day (maybe I'll find my ring) and we are looking forward to the next visit to this resort.

Last thing, be sure to ask Beny for a cocktail stir stick animal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool.
Dear Matthew.

Thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique, it is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations on regards of the service provided by our dedicated staff and the food quality at the property.

Inspired by the idea of creating a new experience that awakens the senses, Casa Velas has created the spa menu which gives you the opportunity to delight new and healthy dishes, our guests can also enjoy of the traditional Mexican cuisine by combining a succulent experience with a beautiful natural landscape, exquisite gourmet dishes, a taste of the best tequila and relaxing ambient music, a fabulous result is obtained that stimulates the most basic pleasures in life,

At Casa Velas we are always willing to welcome and pamper our guests as a commitment.

Dear Matthew thank you again for expressing your opinion and it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit.

Receive a friendly HOLA from Casa Velas.

Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

An Oasis in Paradise Casa Velas July 28-Aug 3, 2012

Sat. July 28, 2012: We arrived at Casa Velas after a very short drive from another resort stay in Puerto Vallarta. How incredible those iron scrolled gates and long driveway looked to us…we were home once again. We entered with a little trepidation knowing there had been some management and staff changes, would it all still be so wonderful? As usual we were greeted at door by bellboy, Jorge ( one of our favorites) and check in staff, a nice Hibiscus drink on the couch as they checked us in. The bracelets for the AI had changed slightly, just a tighter weave but still classy with a silver medallion. We had been booked to be in Room 501, but to our surprise we were upgraded to an even more spacious unit Room 504, a Royal Suite. Oh I do love space, and such. As is typical now a days they asked for passports and an open credit voucher.
We met the new concierge Angel Garcia, who actually came from Grand Velas. He surely seemed nice which was great as after many years we had become good friends with his predecessor. I had made a few pre-arrival requests of him so will see if they have been done. He did email us ahead of time stating he did not have our flight info for pick up, very nice touch, but as most of you know we drive.

Jorge, the bellboy, with a personality to boot, drove our car to be parked and brought in our loads of luggage, nope I still have not learnt how to pack light. The Royal Suite was just wonderful, larger than Grand Class Suite, 3 bathrooms, one on main floor with stand up shower, sink , toilet. Huge walk in closet, 2 sliders out to large terrace, table for 4, 2 loungers and of course a private plunge pool, we love those. Also on this first floor was a couch, end tables, side chairs, telephone, coffee maker, table inside for 4, open concept, plenty of space, overhead and table lighting and as requested a bottle of champagne chilling and chocolate covered strawberries with some berries and nuts and a welcome from the General Director Manuel Oveido. Very nice touch. I had told the concierge we were celebrating our anniversary upon arrival and wanted something special in room, it was perfect and hubby though not the romantic himself, loved it. Yes, we are at our home away from home…

The suite is very light , sunny and airy, ceiling fans and A/C keep it cool…okay let us check out the upstairs….nice staircase….and two bedrooms at top, one a Master with king bed, flat screen TV, armoire with slippers, robes, iron, full length mirror ( another request fulfilled ). Lots of closet space, sliders onto a small balcony overlooking golf course, two chairs and small table. A desk, coffee maker, electronic safe, large enough to fit many things including a 15” laptop, mini frig stocked with water, beer, sodas and juice, and a snack basket with regular and spicy chips, granola bars and nuts, and a huge bathroom with Jacuzzi tub, shower, sink and high end shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, cotton pads, mouth wash, shower cap, sewing kit, loofah sponge, plenty of towels, soap, a scale ( yes that nasty thing to weigh yourself LOL), toilet, magnifying mirror and yes more closet hanging space.

The second bedroom has two double beds, an armoire, flat screen tv, mini frig, snack draw, lots of closet and draw space as well. And yes another bathroom with a regular tub and shower. Even another safe.

Each bedroom also had an alarm clock and ipod docking station. The décor is classy older Mexican I would say, not ultra modern but marble throughout and warm feeling as opposed to sterile modern. We are very pleased with this upgrade. Hubby has a room to be messy in, yes you hear that right and he also has his own TV. He is an early bird and I a night owl so 2 TV’s is almost a must for us.

The unit itself lacks nothing, more than sufficient space, in suite menus, reading material, amenities, snacks, drinks, pool, Jacuzzi, we are very content…

The weaving paths, and walkways, the spread out way of the village area of the property, the tropical feel, the views over the golf course all tend to just bring your stress level tumbling down, you are no win a tropical oasis where your wish is their command…you now have to do nothing but what you wish..we amble our way along to Emiliano’s Restaurant for lunch. Special touches everywhere you look , a unique shrub, a roaming peacock, a sole lily in a vase. It is hot and humid so we dine inside Emiliano’s today. We order a cold cerveza, and one of our favorite lunch treats Shrimp burritos. We can feel ourselves just winding down, de-stressing…this is the life. Oh something new, they wheel over a table/cart and are making homemade, fresh guacamole tableside. What a nice touch, and what great flavor as you like, spicy, not spicy a little spicy. All of the staff are wonderful and attentive without being overbearing. WE enjoy a relaxing, long lunch and then since I have had many requests we ask to take pics in Presidential Suite. First we ask for ice to be delivered to our room for when we return, there are no ice machines but they will gladly deliver an ice bucket office for you.

Angel takes us up in the elevator to the 4th floor where the Presidential Suite is. Talk about privacy, there is no need to leave, thus why many very famous people have stayed here no doubt. You step into a huge impressive living room, with a dining room for 8 or 10 to the left and all glass to the right,sliders and a huge patio with a pool and not a plunge pool but a good size pool. It is very very impressive. Has 4 bedrooms, classy modern with impressive bathrooms and a master en suite bathroom to die for. There would not be a reason to leave this suite if you so chose. What an incredible time 3-4 couples or more could have in here or a retreat for Breast Cancer survivors. Would love to get a group together and stay here but n the meantime…I plan to one day stay in this suite and I took many pictures to share with all of you which will follow later..

The concept here is tranquility, rest and relax, be pampered. The pool is heated with a swim up bar…cabanas and teak loungers….water in small ice buckets, no towel cards, no chair game, Koi ponds all around, palms, beautiful grounds. There is a botanical garden onsite where they grow some veggies and herbs, solar panels are many, but not seen, a great indoor and outdoor lobby with free wifi in that area, a nice gym ( yes we actually used it), ad a wonderful spa which if you can believe it I actually was so relaxed ( mind you this is with thoughts of a failing parent at home and a surgery upon return home) and in a no appointment mode I forgot to even schedule a massage. We did rebook our next stay though for 4 nights in Oct. as we will be in Puerto Vallarta at that time…already excited. There is a small boutique sore on site and a cultural center with books, a computer and info on Mexico.

You can dine in your room, on your patio, by the pool at Emiliano’s Restaurant, at the private beach Club or over at the Restaurants at Velas Vallarta the sister resort.

The best things about Casa Velas…the service, the food, the rooms, atmosphere..okay everything.

We dined each night at Emiliano Restaurant. We consider it to be the best restaurant in PV, it is open to the public with prior reservations. The food is always consistent and excellent the service superb. Some things you must try…lobster and crab roll appetizer, Duck crepes appetizer, Artichoke soup, shrimp and octopus salad, Filet mignon, Duck, Veal, Crème Brulee and Paris Delight and the 3 cheese ice cream was to die for. There is an extensive wine list but not being wine drinkers we can give little input on that. The alcohol is top shelf though. We became friends with Brieselda the night hostess. Bernadino, the head waiter we have been friends for some time, Hector the Rest manager was very friendly and attentive and the rest of the staff…wow…From the above mentioned to Daniel, Rene, Leonel, all superb,all polite, professional, respectful and friendly with good English.

We had breakfast daily on our terrace delivered by Rene (with the glasses as there are 2 Rene’s). He was always pleasant, polite, friendly and set the table up outside as though we were in a gourmet restaurant. The last day I think Omar served our room service also very good.

Lunch we had either by the pool or at Beach Club or at Emiliano. Hector and Freddy and Gerardo served by the pool. Benny, the infamous Benny served drinks in lobby at night along with Hector. Benny has been making me cork animals for some time now and he made me a crocodile this time…pictures will follow of course, what talent!!!

The front desk, more like a lounch area, the girls check you in and out quickly and efficiently, answer any questions and even make change for you, something I have heard can be an issue at some resorts. Carolina handles our reservations usually, we have know her for some time. Lluvia and Yuridia always pleasant.

The Beach the beach you say what about he beach…ah yes..Casa Velas has a very special unique beach area. They have their own private beach club. They provide transportation in an A/C van or suburban 3-5 minutes away. You are greeted at entrance….no crowds, no bothersome vendors, (I actually like shopping from my seat but many do not) just pure luxury. The beach club has cabanas, loungers, an infinity pool all raised above the level of the beach, along with changing and bathroom facilities and a full service restaurant with an Asian inspired theme. Sushi, salads,shrimp, chicken what have you. I liked the new shrimp tempura tacos….yum yum…Mixed cerviche excellent and loaded with seafood, fried calamari excellent. Service also above and beyond….Rangel was our waiter and he was just great. Oh yes free wifi at the beach club as well.

You can go down a few steps and be right on the sand where there are more cabanas, loungers ad umbrellas. Wait service there as well. We spent one whole day at the beach club. Standing in the pool by ocean side, laying on cabanas,eating, checking out passing vendors wares etc…and until 4pm we had the beach club almost to ourselves….incredible….to us the beach club is better than on the beach, if we want the beach it is there if not away we go. You can also dine there at night, directly on the beach or up above, very romantic. Beautiful sunsets…

This resort is not loud and full of adventure, but in high season they do offer some activities like tequila tasting or cooking classes, but they only do this by request or in high time. They did have Mexican Night and we had the mexican Platter for 2, which had tamales, sopes, tortilla soup, flautas, chili rellenos empanadas, rice, veggies and of course beans, so a sampling of much, very filling but good. They also have a barbeque night on Fridays. People sit around lobby at night having drinks and socializing, watching tv, or they go out into town, just s short cab ride away. Some even go over to Velas Vallarta for some of their entertainment, a Mexican fiesta , Casino Night, Mariachi’s etc.

So in essence this resort is everything packed into one, gold, spa, awesome rooms, romance, fine food and dining or not, beach or not, romance or not. Superb service, staff that are there to please you yet can also become your friends…oh yeah did I mention adults only…

Sounds too good to be true I know, well that is why I keep on returning and returning. The food always consistent and the staff superior. Let me think of a negative something..oh wifi free in lobby and beach club where as I feel it should be free throughout resort for the caliber of resort it is. Not on the beach , not a con to me, I like it with the private beach club even better than on the beach. New management and some staff, yes I was apprehensive, have made so many relationships over the years but the new staff and management seem very concerned over customer satisfaction as well so I am pleased. Casa Velas remains my favorite place to stay in Puerto Vallarta. Yes, we stay all over but when we stay here we know what to expect, we will get our money’s worth and it will be a wonderful experience. Try it, it is a place you must experience to understand. The Best of the Best-Casa Velas!!
Oh a very special surprise from he Emiliano Restaurant staff our last night after dinner they presented us with black and white tears cake on a platter that said “Have a Nice Trip” presented to us by Briselda the hostess as the waiters loked on, how very sweet and touching…yes I was home and sad to leave…but October will be here quick….J

Room Tip: Many configurations of rooms so be sure of what you want and are booking...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for all your beautiful comments; we are so grateful for considering Casa Velas as your favorite destination. Thanks for your positive comments on our service and cuisine. Emiliano´s restaurant with its wide variety of gastronomic creations and innovative spirit has turned into the favorite one of our guests and local people. It invites you to immerse in a peaceful ambiance surrounded by nature, and slip completely into the marvelous sensations that are presented at this lovely, incomparable restaurant.

Because it is through sight that we can appreciate beauty in its pure state, next to the Emilianos restaurant you will find our Casa Velas Botanical Garden with cobbled pathways and observing the verdant surroundings, and the friendly peacocks walking around.

Dear Pamela thank you again for expressing your opinion about your stay with us and it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit, see you in October.

san diego, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We originally booked our room at Velas Vallarta, which was a nice hotel, but our room smelled like mold. Then, we went to the pool and there were so many kids in the pool, they were jumping in and out and cannon balls everywhere ;). The kids were sitting at the swim up bar and well it wasn’t the best, but it wasn’t bad, but we left our kid at home so we were looking to relax.

The next morning we got up and asked if we could go to the sister hotel Casa Velas Boutique. We had to get the approval first, since we had the all-inclusive, if approved, then all-inclusive would apply to the sister hotel (we only wanted to use their pool for the day). Needless to say we were approved. We arrived and we fell in love with the place. The pool was beautiful. There was only two people in the pool. The swim-up bar was empty, they told us it was an all adult hotel, had 80 rooms total, and most were vacant because of the month we went (we went the first week of August 2011). Our room was beautiful! The service was fantastic! We enjoyed the hotels tranquility so much, we spoke to the front desk and asked if we could move to the boutique. We did pay more, but it was SO worth it! We went back to our 1st hotel packed and were back at the boutique within an hour and half.
The next day we went to the beach front property. They have a pool on the beach with a full menu of food and alcohol. It was the best!!!
The food overall was really good. They only have one restaurant on the property, so breakfast, lunch, and dinner, well.. it’s at the same place, but the menu was great. There is no night life in the hotel, but you can easily take a cab and go into town and if you want a change of food, it’s a cab ride away. The service was great… Everything about this hotel is excellent. We felt safe and the staff really took care of us.
BTW, it was our 5 year anniversary and staff surprised us with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne.. Oh, I can’t forget the spa. We got a couples massage and hand down the best massage!!
We spent most of our time at the pool and the beach front property (my husband and I went down the drink menu and drank everything on the list).
If you are looking to get away, no kids, quiet, read a book, get pampered, enjoy your time away from home and really go and relax, this is the place to stay..). If you looking for a huge hotel with a nightlife, different restaurants, loud, music playing all night. This not for you. Hope this helps!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I went to Mexico's west coast with some trepidation..especially since there have been so many reports about drug cartels and the like in the news. I chose Casa Velas as they provided transportation to and from the airport in my Luxury Link package. Casa Velas delivered hands down on my much needed relaxation vacation. Our greeting was wonderful and I loved the all inclusive bracelets. (We are still wearing them!) When we first arrived, there had apparently been a thunderstorm which had knocked out the electricity and phones. The first room shown to us, had developed a leak in the ceiling, unbeknownst to the staff. I went to the front desk and spoke with Caroline and Claudia. Both were very pleasant and helpful. We were quickly wisked to another room. This room was lovely, with a private plunge pool on our balcony and beautiful accommodations.
There were few guests at the resort as we came during the "low" season. This was wonderful for us, as it felt as though we had the resort to ourselves many times.
The resort stood out in a number of ways. The pool and gardens were beautiful. The groundsman (and I didn't get his name) worked tirelessly and continuously. He did a wonderful job and gave us fish food to feed the fish.
Room service was always timely and food was perfect. The mini bar in our room was barely used except for a few sodas. Turn down service took place nightly and the entire facility was impeccably clean.
The food and beverage service were beyond wonderful. Let me say that the restaurant, Emiliano was without a doubt, one of the best places I have ever eaten. Accolades to the entire food and beverage staff. The tortilla soup was to die for. I ordered it whenever I could. I am a vegetarian and although the menu consisted of meat and fish, I had no problems. The scrambled Mexican eggs were awesome in the morning and I always found plenty to eat, usually giving my husband the meat off of my plate at dinner and opting for both his and my vegetables. What really made the meals special, were the staff: Hector (the best homemade guacamole ever!) , Cruz (Thank you for the tomato jelly) , Daniel and Mauricio (I am glad you weren't the time share guy!) were fabulous. I can't say enough about this staff...Lisbeth was a beautiful and charming addition in her role as hostess. The swim up bar was beautiful and drinks were appropriately mixed. All of the staff always had smiles on their faces and never failed to do everything in their power to make us happy.
One night, we went over to the Velas Vallarta..a larger and much busier hotel which is a sister to Casa Velas. Not for us. We quickly returned.
The Beach Club was both beautiful and relaxing and we actually enjoyed our ride to and fro. The food had an Asian flare and was also wonderfully prepared and served. My only negative about the Beach Club was that the showers were not working for some reason. I never said anything about them, but it would have been nice if I could have showered after being in the pool and put on dry clothes before returning to the Casa. It was a small inconvenience though. I also realized after leaving, that we could have had a dinner at the Beach Club..beachfront...maybe someday in the future that will happen.
I tried to remember everyone's names, but just couldn't. They were all so wonderful..the shuttle drivers, the concierge.the waitstaff..housekeeping....all were wonderful and by not remembering their names does not mean that they did not perform with excellence, because everyone did.
Spa services were wonderful. I had a massage and my husband opted for a facial. We both left feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
The resort is not beachfront, which brings it down one notch in my opinion, but again, the shuttle was available, easy to utilize and prompt. I would like to say that light evening entertainment would have been a plus. Maybe a piano player or even a piano bar for those who would like to listen to music. The sister hotel was such a stark contrast..loud and crowded. So, I think that Casa Velas would benefit from a light form of entertainment. After dinner, there really wasn't a lot to do. This was good...and bad at the same time. I would have enjoyed something, even if for an hour or two without having to go to the Velas Vallarta or into town. The resort is surrounded by a beautiful golf course and there are birds galore to admire, feed and watch.
I almost hate to give a resort such a glowing report. I have found that when this takes place, the prices tend to increase, usually out of my range. But, Casa Velas certainly warrants a wonderful review.
I want to return. I enjoyed Puerto Vallarta. It certainly is beautiful and filled with amazing sculptures and artwork. At no time did I feel unsafe. The locals actually went out of their way to make us feel welcome and safe, giving us directions and advising us where to go.
I cannot say enough positive things about this staff. Someone, somewhere is doing something right.
In closing, I want to say thank you to all of the staff who made our stay wonderful. A special thank you to Claudia and Caroline for helping me in such a professional and positive manner...in allaying my initial concerns and treating me with such warmth and kindness. Also thank you to Lluva (Rain) for waking us up. You are my sisters in the south and hopefully, we will meet again some day in the future. Until then, I will miss all of you.

Room Tip: I don't know how it can be better...it was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Mrs. Faith

I am delighted to read your positives comments, thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host and I am so grateful for all your beautiful comments about our premises and the staff.

I will happily share your comments with all our family members, We’ll always be willing to welcome and pamper you as a commitment, thank you again for being chosen as your home away home, hopefully we will have the opportunity again to have you and exceed your expectations one more time in a near future at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique or at anyone of our different Velas Resorts properties.

All the best!!

E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!