“Where Everyone is Special and Treated like Royalty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

Save Saved
You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chapala, Mexico
“Where Everyone is Special and Treated like Royalty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Casa Velas Jan 2-6, 2012 “Where Everyone is SPECIAL and treated like Royalty”

We drove at 7:30 am, Monday Jan 2, 2012 from Lake Chapala to Puerto Vallarta, we encountered barely any traffic thru Guadalajara etc. The temperature upon leaving here was 57F and upon arrival in Puerto Vallarta about 1:30p it was 83F. Very nice. We noted more traffic than we have ever seen heading North, most likely Nationals returning home from a long holiday spent at the beach.
As we drove down the road and saw the scrolled iron gates and Casa Velas sign, we knew we were at our home away from home! We were greeted at entrance to lobby by Roberto and Pablo. They unloaded our car with my overabundance of luggage. As usual they greeted us in English, were so friendly and welcomed us home.
We sat in the lobby on the couches to be checked in. Ana Maria was our check in girl. She applied our lovely AI bracelets and then told us about our room but alas it was a room with 2 double beds and we wanted a king bed, no problem. Ana Maria changed our room without any issue and gave us a great room…with the direction of Gabriella, the afternoon concierge.
Our luggage was brought to our room, which was lovely. On first floor overlooking golf course. Large bathroom with Jacuzzi, outdoor plunge pool and patio area and dining area, king size bed, and couch,..indoor dining area, mini frig., stocked with water, sodas, beer and juice. Plus a snack tray with chips, nuts, granola bars and such. The room was also stocked with shampoo, hair conditioner, body rinse, soap, dental rinse, tissues, an alarm clock and mini coffee maker. It is all explained to you if you are new to Casa Velas but being repeat, time and again, visitors, we needed no explanation.
Our first day was spent unpacking, enjoying our room, and eating and drinking along with mingling with other guests and of course saying our hellos and Feliz Ano’s to staff members who we have become friendly with. We were given the usual humble salute by staff, referred to by name, always nice touches. Everything was beautiful as usual, well maintained and with the ambiance of luxury and specialness. We had a great lunch at Emiliano Restaurant Spinach Salad Spa with Hazelnuts etc…and hubby had his favorite Shrimp Burrito which is just loaded with shrimp….We just relaxed during lunch after our long ride and Edgar our waiter was attentive but not intrusive.

There is one change and that is throughout I believe the Velas Resorts. The Internet is now handled by a third party so you go onto computer and pay by credit card. The fees are $10. Hr, $16/day, $64./5 days, or $79.95 per week US. You could at times get a weak signal in the lobby…without paying.

We dined for dinner again at Emiliano’s, which by the way is our absolute favorite restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. Gourmet food without the gourmet portions. International menu and always wonderful. It is open to the public, adults only and with previous reservations. The live music, while dining outside alongside the Koi ponds across from the pool was just so romantic. The Filet Mignon was so tender you did not need a knife, the Portabella Mushroom appetizer was so different and very tasty. The chef sends out a small sampler before your meal and it is always something very unusual and special. The Lamb Barbacoa was quite different, being shredded lamb, cooked in bag per say, I believe…You could eat it plain or in tortillas. Not my favorite meal but surely tasted good this first night. The Lobster and crab roll appetizer is always a favorite of mine…Dessert was another favorite Crème Brullee. So romantic dining, outside by candlelight accompanied by live music, good service by our long term waiter Bernadino, great drinks, and we are happy to be home. It feels good to feel so special in such a special place. Sometimes I wonder how it is I can feel like Royalty when I am just a commoner, but this is what Casa Velas Excellent service does to you! You will always find many repeat visitors…no wonder why! After dinner we sat in lobby bar and had a few drinks served by the infamous Benny, the bartender. A nice time was had and we called it a fairly early night after a long drive and early morning…..plus we could not wait to crawl into a Velas bed, they are always so comfortable, I truly must get one for my home…or maybe not since it is type of mattress that you crawl into and never want to get out of…so, so comfy! So we are at our home away from home Casa Velas for our first vacation of the new year, how fortunate we are…Feliz Ano!

Jan 3 Tuesday…Not a morning person so room service breakfast is my usual choice but today we have plans to meet with friends in Emiliano Restaurant for breakfast. A delicious, plentiful, and wonderful breakfast is spent with our friends. We have no big plans for the day except to talk with some staff we have not seen yet and to spend the day by the pool enjoying the resort and its service. We find Jesus, the best concierge ever. We have become friends and so we spend some time chatting with him. We have a few questions on some things we need and such and he is most informative. Later we spend a bit of time chatting and enjoying a drink in the lobby bar with Mr. Bonin, the manager. He is always so pleasant and wiling to talk and share information or such. He truly sets the example for a well run ship so to speak. In between we spent the time by the pool, under the cabanas on our loungers. Of course, no towel game here, the towels are on the loungers, replaced when you wish, and water in a small ice bucket is brought to you at your lounger, as are any drinks you order and even lunch. Hector was our waiter for the most part today and as is the trademark at Casa Velas his service was excellent. We had our lunch right by the pool. Cerviche, shrimp I think and it was very full of seafood and incredibly tasty. Later we went to our room which was all cleaned and restocked and we lounged on our patio, took a dip in our plunge pool and just relaxed….This is the life. Tis night we attended the Cocktail party in the lobby bar by the X-Mas tree, so pretty. Cuban music, a display of diamons and such from Diamonds International ( no sales pressure though), champagne, making friends, cigar rolling, hubby enjoys that. We befriended a nice honeymoon couple who were just loving Casa Velas. Imagine having your honeymoon here…wow! We have spent birthdays here and anniversaries but honeymoon, that would be a lifelong memory for sure. Dinner was great as we expected in Emiliano and our special treat for us tonight was Duck crepes, which we like a lot..The rest of our meal was delicious and drinks with Benny in the lobby bar were good as well.

Jan 4 Weds. This is the morning we had our breakfast via room service on our patio dining table…overlooking golf course. Took our time enjoying the relaxation and privacy and then we decided to head to reservations and make our plans for our return visit. We booked our next stay for a week after our anniversary so we will hold off and have a belated anniversary. We did this thru Carolina and we were unsure of what room we wanted so we made arrangements to return next week while at Velas Vaallarta to check out the Governor Suite, otherwise we love the Grand Class Plus suites/Villas. (We went back the following week and checked out the Governor Suite which is really nice and has a lovely view but in the end, hubby likes the Grand Class Plus Villa better so that is what we booked. I think maybe our visit after July we will try the Governor Suite. We got a little surprise while there and I did not have my camera of all times. Carolina showed us the Presidential Suite. No words to describe it except…WOW, WOW. It is on 4th floor, has 4 bedrooms, massive bathrooms, dining table for many, living room for many, overlooks all of grounds, is private , has incredible closet space and a huge balcony with a pool, not a plunge pool but a pretty good sized pool. You literally could just stay in the Suite and never leave. It is just incredible and they offer specials on it many times. I have made it a goal to one day stay in this Presidential Suite. ) Okay back to current vacation, we roamed around taking pictures and took some of the staff as well. Pablo & Jorge, the bellboys, greeted us each time we passed and asked if we needed anything at all…Jesus as always checked with us for any needs and Mr. Bonin is always appearing out of nowhere and checking on guests etc.
Now we had to head over to the Beach Club for sun and lunch. We had to get our Shrimp Tempura fix. Into the shuttle van we went and in moments we arrived at the beach club, with its pool, loungers, changing rooms, bathrooms, cabanas by pool and on beach, the ocean, the hot tubs, the service again. Our waiter Daniel made sure we had our Shrimp Tempura, helped us with some pictures, got our drinks, and we also had California Maki Sushi, which is surami, cream cheese, rice and fish sushi. Hubby ate that as I am not fond of sushi. The service was good, maybe a little slow on getting the drinks but nothing to complain about.
We again dined for dinner at Emiliano restaurant. Yurida , the hostess was just so sweet, friendly and accommodating to our wishes for seating. Bernadine was our waiter again along with some other great waiters and we even asked if the Chef would come out and take a picture with us and he did. We spent the later part of the night in the obby bar being waited on by Benny and socializing with the homeymooners we had met and some other folks.

Jan 5 Thursday…Time is just flying and frankly we have just been relaxing, de-stressing and being pampered. Today I am doing the Spa Ritual with an 50 minute Holistic Massage. This is my first time utilizing the spa facilities since the renovations. Wow, it is just wonderful. I was greeted by receptionists and filled out paperwork. Then introduced to my Spa Valet, Emma. I told her I wanted to take a lot of pictures in the area so would she help and she was all smiles. We went to the lockers, where I changed into robe and slippers, locked up my personal belongings and had a key to my own locker, a pretty one might I add, decorated with beads and such. Always a special touch around every corner here at Casa Velas. The Spa ritual is a mixture of different experiences before ( or after if you prefer) your massage. You wear you bathing suit for this part of the experience. First a cool rain shower in a round shower with cool water and a rain water showerhead…then onto the sauna ( nice and warm, I liked that), then another rain shower, not sure I am too fond of that though it is refreshing, the to the steam room , and another rain shower…then on to the Jacuzzi, which you do 4 stations or corners of, wonderful for working those muscles. Emma gave me a glass of chlorophyll water to drink while in the Jacuzzi, I could have stayed all day but hubby was waiting by pool or so I thought. Next we went down a spiral staircase, after I changed out of my wet bathing suit..to the masseuse, her name was Azucena and she did an incredible massage. You could choose a scent you liked, I chose Clove and it starte doff with a foot water ritual, then the massage and tingling chimes, soothing smells and sounds, oh maybe I should never leave. My massage was one of the best I have ever had..( you must get a massage here and try the spa ritual as well) but yes it ended and I relaxed I spa area afterwards and then much to my chagrin finally left and went to pool looking for hubby. There he was under a cabana, not waiting patiently for me but sleeping…LOL. He is not into spa or massages but he does love the gym at Casa Velas. He uses the machines, walking and weights etc. He said it is never busy or packed and always a very relaxing environment working out looking out at the lush foliage etc. He told me hector took good care of him and upon sitting there was Hector with a drink in hand for me. Yes, they remember what you drink here as well, so cool. We lounged the whole rest of day, knowing our royalty status would soon be up as tonight was our last night here tomorrow we moved over to Velas Vallarta, another excellent resort, sister to Casa Velas, but family oriented and not as personal. For dinner to our surprise they had the regular menu at Emiliano or a special Mexican Platter Variety for two. We ordered that and it was delicious. Came on a huge platter and had a variety of Mexican foods like tacos, empanadas, sopas, beans, tamales ( have never liked them but I tried them anyway and I loved how they were made here). The Platter was very heavy and large and we wanted a picture so we had poor Renee our waiter, hold it up a few times for our pictures, he was more than happy to accommodate us, even making suggestions for the pictures…After dinner we went to lobby bar for our last night and usually I begin to get sad thinking of leaving this special place but not this time since I already had my return reservations planned. ( well maybe a little sad, okay yes I was sad to be leaving …even though Velas Vallarta is wonderful too but in a different way). We spent the last night in that lobby bar till 2am taking with newly made friends. Finally we returned to room and packed…

Jan 6 Friday..Room service breakfast, walked around and said our goodbyes, had the bellboys load up our car for the 3 minute ride over to Velas Vallarta. Check out was a simple and quick process. Our stay was wonderful and we will be back over and over and over again.

Any negatives..uh..having to leave, being treated too special, seeing so many folks feeling like royalty, actually chatting with the manager, staff and Concierge and not so much about business, some nights a little slow on refilling those drinks, big complaint huh, okay just one, I know hard to believe but the only negative I had was the internet changes, otherwise as my other stays it was wonderful….I recommend this for honeymooners, anniversaries, special occasions, any vacation, romance, celebrations, recovery from an illness. It is for couples or girls trips or even guys trips since they have some incredible golf packages. Pretty much this hotel/resort is perfect for any adult since adults only!!!

Give this place a try and like Puerto Vallarta it gets in your soul and you will become part of a special family and be like me a repeat visitor!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, you need to specify your wants ie: plunge pool, jacuzzi etc. Beach club is...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Casa Velas is our home away from home. The staff is the main reason why we keep returning there-from Jorges and Pablo who look after you from the minute you arrive, to Jesus and Gabriella on the concierge desk, Freddy, Omar and Hector at the pool, Bennie at the lobby bar, Bernardino and all the staff in Emiliano's, as well as all the great housekeeping staff, front desk staff all the way up to the General Manager, Pierre, who oversees everyone in a very efficient yet pleasant manner. The food has really improved with the inspiration of the new chef, and the gardens remain the most beautiful we have seen in Mexico. We have been coming to Casa Velas for over 15 years, and it continues to improve. As owners, we have a definite interest in making sure that the quality remains high-and we are not disappointed, each time we go. First time visitors will be pleased and surprised at the amazing service and beautiful surroundings, and I am sure will want to return again. We can't wait to return in the spring and see all our friends again at our 'home away from home'. Arlene and Dick Seeley, Hamilotn, Ontario.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
Dear Guest

I Would like to extend good wishes from Casa Velas your home away from home thank you so much for such detailed feedback on your recent stay with us and we are indeed glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. Your comments on the layout of the property I am sure will be of benefit to others who read your review while I have also taken note of your comments on the entire staff service which I can assure you that I will share with them. Such feedback is invaluable to us and for this we are very grateful.

Once again thank you for your visit and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Kind Regards
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We just returned from 6 days and 5 nights at Casa Velas and cannot say enough about the entire trip! Prior to arriving we contacted the hotel to see if they could recommend transportation from the airport. They happily set up a shuttle for us. From the moment we arrived it was as if we were old friends. Any time we saw staff members (bellboys, waiters, reception staff, or conceirge) they always greeted us by name. We traveled to the beach club daily and they were always eager to take us. We decided to explore the downtown and marina areas and prior to leaving the staff not only arranged our taxi but also gave recommendations on places to see while we were out. The food was amazing to say the least. We've been to many all inclusive resorts and weren't expecting much from the food but we were pleasantly surprised. Both Emiliano's and the Beach Club have delicious food and a great selection. If you go hungry here it is your own fault. When it was time to return home, we simply called the bellboy who came to our room to get our luggage and then personally drove us to the airport. We had an amazing time at Casa Velas and were incredibly sad to see our time end. We will return here without hesitation!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Casa Velas whilst I was pleased to read that you found the service to be great. It is very pleasurable to know that we did a good job and that we, as a team accomplished our main priority witch is offering the most relaxing and comfortable vacation experience for our guests.

Recognition is crucial to maintain the positive attitude and enthusiasm. I would like to mention that reviews like yours, gives us the certainty that we are heading on the right direction and that we are able to make our guests feel at home.

Once again thank you for taking the time of sharing your travel experiences in this forum. Hopefully we will have the honor of hosting you again during your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Regards,

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spent a week at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel around Easter 2011 and absolutely loved the hotel, the service and the food, which is of high quality especially considering the fact it is an all inclusive hotel. Another key benefit is the fact that it is an adult only resort, which makes the place extremely peaceful and quiet. We also really enjoyed the beach club and the food, drinks and service there.
The only minor issue our friends (who were travelling with us) had was a party taking place on Good Friday just outside the hotel and very close to their bungalow. So if you are very noise sensitive you might want to avoid bungalows just next to the parking behind the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms with views on the golf courts
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
slo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from vacation December 12 thru January 1, 2012. We paid PREMIUM price for this ADULT ONLY, all inclusive resort. The resort was beautiful.all inclusive held true.
However, the ADULT ONLY part did NOT! for at least 4 of our last days, an IMPORTANT GUEST, that included a family with at least 2 under 18 year old children, roamed the resort. They were at the private beach club, which was amazing, and in the restaurant every night dining with the family. The wait staff was obviously attentive to their every need, making service scarce for the rest of the not-so-important guests.

I commend the staff.....PABLO....#1 in our book!, CRUZ, CARLO....the shuttle drivers; RICARDO is THE best waiter in the world!; ALEJANDRO...we love, love, love him, RAMON, HECTOR, EDGAR, DANIEL, DAN LEVI, (these are the only names I can remember). Very attentive, accommodating, and helpful.

The lack of ANY activity/entertainment was a disappointment.....not even a ping pong table or pool table. So while relaxing at the pool or beach was great, there was nothing else to do on the premises.

I would not return to this resort because I feel they were very misleading in allowing children to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your vacation experience in this forum.

Casa Velas has a strict policy on regards of age acceptance and during the reservation process; this is a fact that is always bring to attention. In order to reserve a stay in this peaceful paradise, all members of the party have to be minimum15 years old.

Occasionally we receive families with young adults on their parties and we trust their judgment when they decide to visit us knowing our age policy.

Our intention is to assist and host our entire guest as they deserve in order to create a memorable experience for all. Keep in mind that our concierge staff is always available to attend any observation or demand that you might have during your stay and they will be glad to serve you with anything you need.

Hope to se you back soon in your home away from home.

Sincerely
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We went in October 2009 for our honeymoon! Everything was fantastic: quality of the room, room service, housekeeping, the well manicured grounds and the staff! My only complaint was the food at the hotel restaurant as it was just ok: not terrible but not great. However, room service was a great alternative and they were open 24/7.

The hotel staff were friendly and accomodating. Check-in was easy too! We were met with a cool towel and a cocktail. The hotel staff was even patient with our debit card issue. (My husband's debit card received a fraud alert when we checked in because the amount was more than his normal transactions. We arrived on a Sunday so we could not do anything until Monday.) They were really great about it, waiting until the morning to allow us to pay the all inclusive fee because our room was already paid for through our timeshare.

Other things:
The hotel was gated and security checked us in every time we entered. It is in the middle of a residential neighborhood so we felt safe.

The gift shop is too expensive.

The spa was just ok.

All in all, it was a great one week stay. The staff gave great recommendations for sightseeing and excursions too! We were sad to go. Also the private beach club was FANTASTIC and the shuttle is free! We spent a lot of time there...almost every day. However, stay on the property. There were a lot of peddlers on the beach selling ceramics, weed, pipes, etc. NO THANKS! They were so annoying!)

We plan to go back for a wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first level which was great because we had our own pool and patio where we could ha...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear guest,

For all of the Casa Velas staff it was a pleasure to offer our services during those romantic moments, filling them with magic, laughter and beauty.

We will be here once again to help you celebrate your anniversary, birthday or any occasion that you wish to enjoy in this paradise surrounded by nature and beautiful scenery. Casa Velas creates the ideal romantic climate that invites you to enjoy the comforting sounds of nature as you relax in our private pool or dip into the pool and Jacuzzi at our Beach Club.

We truly appreciate the observations that you shared with us; comments such as yours encourage us to improve on a daily basis. We will be working diligently and in the mean time would like to invite you to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to meet your expectations.
We hope to see you soon again in your home away from home!

Pierre Yves Bonin
Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Our fourth trip to Casa Velas ... another great stay! The lovely and well-maintained hotel grounds, the outstanding personal service (with special thanks to the staff at Emilianos, especially the maitre'd Alejandro, and servers Alejandro, Ricardo, Bernardino, Edgar and Leonel, and to the staff at the Beach Club, especially Guillermo, Rangel, Jorge, Ramon, Javier, Carlos, and Daniel, who helped to make our holiday extra special!) and the relaxing and quiet atmosphere were just what we needed! The wonderful drivers and bellmen Jorge, Pablo and Roberto were so welcoming, and there to make sure everything was taken care of, as usual! A Pierre Bonin "Welcomed us Home", we did indeed feel that we had come back to our home away from home.

We felt that the quality and the presentation of the food served at Emilianos was even better than it had been during our last 3 visits (although we did miss the rack of lamb, and the the spa items on the dinner menu this time). A few more choices in the soup/salad categories would be nice, though! (Although, we often ordered items such as the caprese salad from the lunch menu during dinner, and it wasn't a problem!) A favourite dessert was the coconut sorbet, and when the restaurant ran out, the chef made a fresh coconut sorbet served in a coconut shell just for me! That is definitely personal service!

There were a few minor glitches during our stay this December, however - but nothing that spoiled our trip. It was suggested to us that if we wished to eat outdoors for dinner at Emilianos, we should come early (7:00) as the restaurant tended to get busy after that. We were very surprised to find out that the diners who were being seated at the outdoor tables were from the sister resort, Velas Vallarta. We felt that the hotel guests at Casa Velas should have been given priority outdoor seating, and not made to feel that we needed to dine early in order to dine outside. As well, during our last stay, we enjoyed many items from the flambe cart, including pepper steak, flambed fruit, etc. This year there was an up-charge for these items, ranging from 100 - 140 pesos per person. At a AI resort the quality of Casa Velas, it seemed out of place to be charging for this extra.

We were also very surprised to see that guests from Velas Vallarta we allowed to use the Casa Velas Beach Club, and with their small dog with them. The dog sat on a lounge chair, showered in the outdoor shower, and happily shook himself all over my husband. We love dogs, but leave ours at home!

Casa Velas was very busy during one weekend of our stay, with two weddings and a quinceanera, resulting in the Beach Club being closed for 2 days. Because of this, the hotel pool was extremely busy, and the staff (Hector and Freddy) were totally overwhelmed with having to make and serve drinks to a large crowd around the pool. A few more staff members should have been made available to help during this busy time.

We look forward to our next trip to our home away from home!
We really enjoyed reconnecting with guests we had met last year, and meeting new people as well. (Martha and John, we'll see you next year!!)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!